Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   U.S Election 2020 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709208)

Mick 07-11-2020 09:55

Re: U.S Election 2020

The Supreme Court made a fresh order last night, check the date of that order.

Damien 07-11-2020 09:58

This is a good article on the actual legal battles the Trump campaign are having: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...lection-434360

There is a gap between the rhetoric and the stuff they actually want to test in court. Many of these accusations are specific and therefore they should be able to be proven if true.

I have no doubt there will be some disqualifying ballots. People who voted in the wrong state, people who didn't fill in the form wrong, people who cast a vote despite being a felon and so on. Many of these would be caught by the existing processes via the concept of a 'provisional ballot' but you get these problems in every election. It's completely different from the evidence of systemic and widespread fraud.

So I have no problem with Trump going to the courts on this. If it's not true it's not going to get anywhere and if it did turn out to be true then obviously that needs to be addressed. Also recounts are also perfectly fine and any campaign would request them if they lost by narrow margins.

BenMcr 07-11-2020 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36056661)
The Supreme Court made a fresh order last night, check the date of that order.

Yes, it's a ruling that covers what they were already doing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisond...h=7c7400ec3026

Quote:

Pennsylvania had already issued guidance to counties telling them to segregate their ballots and not include them in the vote count—which it did of its own volition, so that the GOP could not challenge every mail-in ballot if the ballots were combined—and the GOP admitted in their order that they did not have any evidence to suggest any counties were not complying with that guidance.

Mick 07-11-2020 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36056660)
Strange how you only espouse the rule of democratic democracy when it suits your political agenda Mick.

Nice to see you always see the Democrats as corrupt but that flimsy statement does not seem to apply to your Republicans.

Absolute rubbish Den. I have no political agenda, and FYI, they are not my Republicans, I just don’t trust the Democrats, given their cheating efforts in 2016 as well when they paid for the Fake Russian dossier. I do have issues of cheating, you want fair elections Den?

All folk want to do here is deny Trump his right to question the absolute claims of cheating that appear to have been going on here.

peanut 07-11-2020 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 36056652)
Yes but you can't not vote for someone because you don't like them but have the best policies, sure you'd rather have someone you don't like personally and has very good polices than someone you like and has bad policies, I don't like Boris but he had better polices than Corbyn.

I agree, people voted for Trump because he was different and not the usual conventional politician at the time, also he was up against Clinton. The positives was he shook things up but he's ended up a total clown. He was what was needed at the time but now he's just a joke. And now we're seeing his true colours.

Damien 07-11-2020 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36056664)
All folk want to do here is deny Trump his right to question the absolute claims of cheating that appear to have been going on here.

My problem is Trump questioning it to create uncertainty around the result without proving it. That's why I think he should be doing this in the courts and not on Twitter/media.

Mick 07-11-2020 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36056663)
Yes, it's a ruling that covers what they were already doing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisond...h=7c7400ec3026

Nope, it’s a second order, they can no longer be counted towards voter tally.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056666)
My problem is Trump questioning it to create uncertainty around the result without proving it. That's why I think he should be doing this in the courts and not on Twitter/media.

There is plenty of proof, plenty of Americans complaining of voting irregularities.

denphone 07-11-2020 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36056664)
Absolute rubbish Den. I have no political agenda, and FYI, they are not my Republicans, I just don’t trust the Democrats, given their cheating efforts in 2016 as well when they paid for the Fake Russian dossier. I do have issues of cheating, you want fair elections Den?

l have always wanted fair elections Mick as that is what democratic democracy should be as l think Donald Trumps claims of cheating are baseless and unsubstantiated and are more to do with him being a very sore loser but alas he is not the first sore loser in US elections l will grant you that.

Damien 07-11-2020 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36056667)
There is plenty of proof, plenty of Americans complaining of voting irregularities.

Ok then we let it play out in the courts.

Same with the recounts. I don't see why everyone is so worried about this process. America is a functioning democracy, not a banana republic. If the Democrats have engaged in mass-scale voting fraud then they'll be found out (I don't know if there is another election or what the US does in that case) and if not then at least people can have confidence in their process.

I am sure there will be individual cases of bad ballots and fraud just as there always is and in those cases weaknesses will be identified and fixed and any criminality will see people in prison.

Although one thing I think everyone will agree on is they need to sort out this counting situation. Entering day 4 now! I can't believe we've come to this but they should all copy Florida.

BenMcr 07-11-2020 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36056667)
Nope, it’s a second order, they can no longer be counted towards voter tally.

Yes, to formally confirm compliance with an existing direction from the 28th, not an order for a new behavior

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN27N030

Quote:

(Reuters) - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito on Friday night ordered county election boards in Pennsylvania to comply with a state directive to separate mail-in ballots received after 8 p.m. on Election Day from other ballots.
In its request on Friday, the Republican Party of Pennsylvania said it was unclear whether all 67 county election boards were complying with Secretary of the Commonwealth Kathy Boockvar’s Oct. 28 directive to separate late-arriving ballots. Late-arriving ballots are a tiny proportion of the overall vote in the state, Boockvar has said.

papa smurf 07-11-2020 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36056670)
l have always wanted fair elections Mick as that is what democratic democracy should be as l think Donald Trumps claims of cheating are baseless and unsubstantiated and are more to do with him being a very sore loser but alas he is not the first sore loser in US elections l will grant you that.

You only like democracy when it's a candidate you favour,is that what your trying to say here? democracy is for the people and that is why this should be scrutinised by the courts, for the people's and for democracy's sake.

denphone 07-11-2020 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056673)
You only like democracy when it's a candidate you favour,is that what your trying to say here? democracy is for the people and that is why this should be scrutinised by the courts, for the people's and for democracy's sake.

What a load of unmitigated bollocks as usual as one thing l have always done is accept the results of democratic democracy whoever wins....

Mick 07-11-2020 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36056674)
What a load of unmitigated bollocks as usual as one thing l have always done is accept the results of democratic democracy whoever wins....

Democracy is democracy, but cheating in a democracy isn’t. We had plenty of that by your side, after Brexit vote, not you specifically Den.

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36056672)
Yes, to formally confirm compliance with an existing direction from the 28th, not an order for a new behavior

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN27N030

Exactly, so It’s a second order.

denphone 07-11-2020 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36056675)
Democracy is democracy, but cheating in a democracy isn’t. We had plenty of that by your side, after Brexit vote, not you specifically Den.

They should have accepted that it was the result of a democratic mandate even although it was not the result l personally wanted.

Once one does not accept democratic democracy then its a slippery road downhill from there.

peanut 07-11-2020 10:40

Someone cheated? Is there any evidence?

Damien 07-11-2020 10:41

The counters better not be taking the weekend off.

Mick 07-11-2020 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056671)
Ok then we let it play out in the courts.

Same with the recounts. I don't see why everyone is so worried about this process. America is a functioning democracy, not a banana republic. If the Democrats have engaged in mass-scale voting fraud then they'll be found out (I don't know if there is another election or what the US does in that case) and if not then at least people can have confidence in their process.

I am sure there will be individual cases of bad ballots and fraud just as there always is and in those cases weaknesses will be identified and fixed and any criminality will see people in prison.

Although one thing I think everyone will agree on is they need to sort out this counting situation. Entering day 4 now! I can't believe we've come to this but they should all copy Florida.

U.S is becoming a Banana Republic, did you see the disgusting tweet by AOC, the congresswoman, demanding all Trump backers and supporters be placed on a political list, these folk be treated with disdain, sneered at, so it hampers them when it comes to getting jobs, I mean the Democrats are rotten to the core anyway but do you condone this Communist approach, rounding up the folly, by a Democrat congresswoman, AOC?

Damien 07-11-2020 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36056680)
U.S is becoming a Banana Republic, did you see the disgusting tweet by AOC, the congresswoman, demanding all Trump backers and supporters be placed on a political list, these folk be treated with disdain, sneered at, so it hampers them when it comes to getting jobs, I mean the Democrats are rotten to the core anyway but do you condone this Communist approach, rounding up the folly, by a Democrat congresswoman, AOC?

I don't think the US is becoming a Banana Republic. The very fact the most powerful person in the world is powerless to stop this count and this election unless he avails himself of the proper legal process is evidence of that.

I did see that tweet from AOC and think given the connotations she would be wise to be careful about that kind of thing.

This is what she said:

Quote:

Is anyone archiving these Trump sycophants for when they try to downplay or deny their complicity in the future? I foresee decent probability of many deleted Tweets, writings, photos in the future
It certainly doesn't help lower the anger level in the States right now.

Hugh 07-11-2020 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36056680)

Apparently it’s a joke when Trump says it at a rally....

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...es/3702995001/

Quote:

"Lock 'em all up," Trump said during a rally Saturday in Muskegon, Michigan, "

Sephiroth 07-11-2020 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36056644)
It's poor PR for Western democracy to see the election results challenged in such a sordid manner. Putin, Xi Jinping, Alexander Lukashenko must be particuarly happy to hear of Trump's legal actions.

it's also creating a chasm between the Trump family and the Republican Party. If Ivanka hoped to run for President then Trump's killed this ambition off for many years...but knowing the average age of US presidents, this may not be an issue! ;)

Nah. It's bog standard for Trump's USA. It wouldn't happen in this sordid manner in Russia or China.

No quarrel with the rest of your analysis.

papa smurf 07-11-2020 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36056674)

I'll take that rant as a yes then shall i.

Sephiroth 07-11-2020 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36056646)
It's not his policies for me, it's just him.

+1

denphone 07-11-2020 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056685)
I'll take that rant as a yes then shall i.

Not a rant as l am just saying it as it is.

jfman 07-11-2020 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36056675)

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

Exactly, so It’s a second order.

It’s a second order, but it’s meaningless - it only confirms the process that was existing. Nobody was mixing these votes in with the rest of the ballots. They’ve not been counted and even if Trump manages to suppress the vote by getting them thrown out he will lose the state.

It’s good for Trump to get a “victory” in court simply because most people won’t bother to check the detail and then portray it in the manner you just did. Implying that something underhand was going on when it wasn’t.

It’d be like going to court to get a majority defined as 50%+1 of the legally valid votes. Nobody was disputing it.

1andrew1 07-11-2020 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056679)

I imagine the troll farms in St Petersburgh won't be either, and are probably on double time, stirring up the divisions in the US by magnifying extreme views.

downquark1 07-11-2020 11:31

It may elevate any crime into a federal issue meaning the state cannot sweep it under the rug. Dunno for sure.

1andrew1 07-11-2020 11:43

Trump needs to stop being such a snowflake and man up.

Biden's going to have a tough time. Unlike Trump who a inherited asuccessful growing economy and to his credit, didn't mess it up too much, Biden will be inheriting an economy in decline due to Covid 19/Trump's mishandling of Covid 19 (take your pick). He also won't have control of key aspects of government like the senate so his ability to implement his policies will be hindered.

So, if Trump plays his cards right, he will be the bigger man, acknowledge the inevitable and re-focus on success in 2024. The Trump fan base will still be there for him.

Chris 07-11-2020 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056679)

The problem in some states right now seems to be that their rules permit postal votes that are postmarked on or before 3rd November to be counted as long as they arrive within a certain period, that varies from state to state but could be as much as a week later. So right now they are actually waiting to see how many such votes arrive in the post over the next couple of days. This wouldn’t have been a problem in some years when the result was very clear but the race is so tight in so many places that it’s not possible to call them.

If you want to blame anyone for this, you could blame the US Postal Service, or possibly you could blame whoever has failed to resource the USPS to cope with the entirely predictable demand for its services at a time of pandemic. Now I wonder who it was who refused to sign off on that.

Hugh 07-11-2020 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36056705)
The problem in some states right now seems to be that their rules permit postal votes that are postmarked on or before 3rd November to be counted as long as they arrive within a certain period, that varies from state to state but could be as much as a week later. So right now they are actually waiting to see how many such votes arrive in the post over the next couple of days. This wouldn’t have been a problem in some years when the result was very clear but the race is so tight in so many places that it’s not possible to call them.

If you want to blame anyone for this, you could blame the US Postal Service, or possibly you could blame whoever has failed to resource the USPS to cope with the entirely predictable demand for its services at a time of pandemic. Now I wonder who it was who refused to sign off on that.

Or you could blame the Legislatures which wouldn't agree to change state laws to allow pre-counting the mail-in ballots...

Chris 07-11-2020 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36056710)
Or you could blame the Legislatures which wouldn't agree to change state laws to allow pre-counting the mail-in ballots...

It’s doubtful that would have made much difference. If the tellers have to wait a week for postal ballots to come in, there will come a point where they’re just sitting around waiting to see what’s in the morning mail. The legislation allows for ballots to come in a week after polling day because it can take that long for postmarked mail to get to its destination. That’s a weakness in the processes of the USPS, and acknowledging that, plus the surge in demand, the service asked for more federal funds to help it cope. Trump took some obvious satisfaction in turning them down.

BenMcr 07-11-2020 15:12

A nice fact check of some of Trump's claims

https://apnews.com/article/election-...source=Twitter

papa smurf 07-11-2020 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36056720)
A nice fact check of some of Trump's claims

https://apnews.com/article/election-...source=Twitter

One mans fact check is another mans cover up.

Chris 07-11-2020 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056721)
One mans fact check is another mans cover up.

You’re starting to sound as desperate as the Donald :rofl:

papa smurf 07-11-2020 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36056723)
You’re starting to sound as desperate as the Donald :rofl:

Looking at it from the outside it all looks a bit bent to me,i'm not as you put it desperate, just concerned for the future of democracy,if it dies in the usa the rest of us are all screwed.

Damien 07-11-2020 16:04

Few more counts expected in the next couple of hours which might convince the networks to call it.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:59 ----------

Trump closes the gap again in Arizona. VERY SUSPICIOUS! Where are they finding these votes all of a sudden! ;)

TheDaddy 07-11-2020 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056724)
Looking at it from the outside it all looks a bit bent to me,i'm not as you put it desperate, just concerned for the future of democracy,if it dies in the usa the rest of us are all screwed.

Based on what? the hearsay of a few dubious sorts claiming they heard from someone else something dodgy happened, none of it stands up to any sort of scrutiny so far

papa smurf 07-11-2020 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056726)
Few more counts expected in the next couple of hours which might convince the networks to call it.

Trump closes the gap again in Arizona. VERY SUSPICIOUS! Where are they finding these votes all of a sudden! ;)

Where indeed, this whole election has a bad smell to it,investigat everyone i say.

Sephiroth 07-11-2020 16:13

Quote:

What's your reason for saying that, Papa?

papa smurf 07-11-2020 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36056731)
What's your reason for saying that, Papa?

It's the way the whole postal vote has been handled it has a bad smell to it ,and many of the state officials don't seem to give a damn because they dislike trump.

GrimUpNorth 07-11-2020 16:25

CNN just called it for Biden.

Hugh 07-11-2020 16:26

Quote:

When the Citizens United ruling went through, that was the beginning of the end of Democracy in the USA, giving the special interests and their lobbyists even more power in Washington - it's what has led to $14 billion being spent on this election.

Damien 07-11-2020 16:26

Never in doubt :P

Hugh 07-11-2020 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056732)
It's the way the whole postal vote has been handled it has a bad smell to it ,and many of the state officials don't seem to give a damn because they dislike trump.

Even the Republicans in Georgia?

Damien 07-11-2020 16:27

ABC, CNN, NBC all declaring it.

papa smurf 07-11-2020 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36056734)
When the Citizens United ruling went through, that was the beginning of the end of Democracy in the USA, giving the special interests and their lobbyists even more power in Washington - it's what has led to $14 billion being spent on this election.

bloody hell:shocked:

Damien 07-11-2020 16:31

Trump is the first sitting President to lose their re-election bid since George Bush Snr in 1992.

I think he would be favourite to get the nomination if he wanted to run in 2024.

pip08456 07-11-2020 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056726)

I would't worry. Both Arizona and Pennsyilvania have been called for Biden. Just waiting for Nevada, Georgia and North Carolina.

denphone 07-11-2020 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36056733)
CNN just called it for Biden.

Biden clinched Pennsylvania and its 20 electoral votes which gives him 284 electoral votes.

Paul 07-11-2020 16:32

BBC shows Biden as having won.

Dave42 07-11-2020 16:34

great news bye bye trump

pip08456 07-11-2020 16:35

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36056742)
BBC shows Biden as having won.

A bit prematurely I think. Perhaps not, so have Associated press.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...5&d=1604767296

papa smurf 07-11-2020 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056737)
ABC, CNN, NBC all declaring it.

Expect the recounts to start and this drag on into December

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36056747)
A bit prematurely I think.

Well it is the Biased Broadcasting Corporation.

Damien 07-11-2020 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056748)
Expect the recounts to start and this drag on into December

Depends on what happens in the other States. If he gets to 302 he won't need Wisconsin or Georgia. The recounts could overturn Wisconsin, Georgia and he could lose Arizona and he would still be above 270.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Fox News have called it as well AND called Nevada at the same time.

1andrew1 07-11-2020 16:43

I think everyone now has called it for Biden, I'm getting lots of alerts through.

Damien 07-11-2020 16:44

Stop the count!!!!!!

papa smurf 07-11-2020 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056750)
Depends on what happens in the other States. If he gets to 302 he won't need Wisconsin or Georgia. The recounts could overturn Wisconsin, Georgia and he could lose Arizona and he would still be above 270.

You're starting to sound like someone who doesn't want to watch this until december or beyond :)

Damien 07-11-2020 16:45

CNN reporting Biden is 'going to give Trump time' before proceeding with the transition.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056755)
You're starting to sound like someone who doesn't want to watch this until december or beyond :)

Getting impatient for 2024 to be honest.

denphone 07-11-2020 16:46

The homepage of the conservative-leaning website Drudge Report has called it.

https://www.drudgereport.com/

peanut 07-11-2020 16:46

I WON THIS ELECTION, BY A LOT! - Donald J. Trump (Twitter).

Chris 07-11-2020 16:46

Even Fox has admitted Biden won it now.

papa smurf 07-11-2020 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056756)
CNN reporting Biden is 'going to give Trump time' before proceeding with the transition.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Getting impatient for 2024 to be honest.

Wonder if there will be a few law changes re postal fra er voting before then.

Damien 07-11-2020 16:47

I hereby declare MYSELF as President-Elect. Well done me.

Mr K 07-11-2020 16:47

Biden is President Elect. He's won.

Trump's headed for the golf course...

Damien 07-11-2020 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36056760)
Even Fox has admitted Biden won it now.

Fox News themselves, i.e the Decision Desk. Wouldn't be reluctant to call it if they were sure. They were first to declare Ohio and thus Obama's re-election back in 2012. A great moment because it caused Karl Rove to whine about it.

papa smurf 07-11-2020 16:52

Lets have a peoples vote,the election was based on lies ,they didn't know what they were voting for,it's not too late to beg Trump to stay.:)

Mr K 07-11-2020 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056765)
Lets have a peoples vote,the election was based on lies ,they didn't know what they were voting for,it's not too late to beg Trump to stay.:)

You must respect democracy old chap ;)

papa smurf 07-11-2020 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36056766)
You must respect democracy old chap ;)

That's a first from you;)

Damien 07-11-2020 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056765)

There will be another election in four years ;)

The expectation is that Biden won't run again because - well we know why - so Harris is favourite to be the Democratic nominee.

I also think Trump will want to run again. He has a very passionate and loyal fanbase who will get him the nomination if he wants it.

BenMcr 07-11-2020 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056768)
I also think Trump will want to run again. He has a very passionate and loyal fanbase who will get him the nomination if he wants it.

Depends if he's still able to qualify

https://www.businessinsider.com/laws...20-9?r=US&IR=T

Quote:

Trump could be slammed with a pile of personal lawsuits once he leaves office. Here are 9 major ones he'll have to face.

downquark1 07-11-2020 17:08

Unless Trump concedes he can still investigate and dispute this in court so it's not over yet.

peanut 07-11-2020 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36056770)
Depends if he's still able to qualify

https://www.businessinsider.com/laws...20-9?r=US&IR=T

Depends if he resigns then Pence pardons him. Not sure if he can qualify to run again if he resigns first.

Mr K 07-11-2020 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056768)
There will be another election in four years ;)

The expectation is that Biden won't run again because - well we know why - so Harris is favourite to be the Democratic nominee.

He'll be in jail by then. Lock him up.

He might hunker down at his golf course, building a massive wall around it. He and everyone else will be happy, so that's all good.

downquark1 07-11-2020 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36056774)

He might hunker down at his golf course, building a massive wall around it. He and everyone else will be happy, so that's all good.

They seem to be civil suits so jail time is unlikely. Trivialities.

BenMcr 07-11-2020 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36056772)
Unless Trump concedes he can still investigate and dispute this in court so it's not over yet.

He can, but so far the grounds they're trying in the court to date aren't enough to change the result.

TheDaddy 07-11-2020 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056762)
I hereby declare MYSELF as President-Elect. Well done me.

I second this nomination

downquark1 07-11-2020 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36056776)
He can, but so far the grounds they're trying in the court to date aren't enough to change the result.

Well they haven't investigated the ballots yet. The law moves slowly.

Mad Max 07-11-2020 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36056774)

So everyone else including his millions of supporters will be happy? :rolleyes:

Damien 07-11-2020 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36056772)

A concession wouldn't prevent him from going via the courts.

I think it's very unlikely to get anywhere in the courts. They can't overturn the votes of a state and - at the moment - it looks like even if they could they would need to overturn more than one state to get him under 270 votes.

Remember in the case of Pennsylvania Biden has won this without those ballots that are part of the legal actions.

downquark1 07-11-2020 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056780)

I think it's very unlikely to get anywhere in the courts. They can't overturn the votes of a state and - at the moment - it looks like even if they could they would need to overturn more than one state to get him under 270 votes.

He won't concede if he thinks he can win in courts, that isn't how he crafts narratives. I guess it is up to state legalities if the counts get modified, but I don't think 2 states would be difficult if he can pull out overt recount descrepencies in both cases.

Mr K 07-11-2020 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36056780)

Remember in the case of Pennsylvania Biden has won this without those ballots that are part of the legal actions.

There's also the little matter of evidence. Courts are pedantic about that sort of thing. Apparently tweets don't count.

downquark1 07-11-2020 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36056785)
There's also the little matter of evidence. Courts are pedantic about that sort of thing. Apparently tweets don't count.

Evidence arrives after investigation.

Sephiroth 07-11-2020 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056732)

But how does that "screw things for the rest of us"?

The difficulty the rest of the West has in whether or not there is political/diplomatic honesty in, for example the UK - very difficult.

Damien 07-11-2020 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36056784)
He won't concede if he thinks he can win in courts, that isn't how he crafts narratives. I guess it is up to state legalities if the counts get modified, but I don't think 2 states would be difficult if he can pull out overt recount descrepencies in both cases.

Well it couldn't be the two states for which there are recounts as that wouldn't be enough so he either needs a big state and one of those I mentioned or three states.

It would end up the Supreme Court and he would need large evidence of widespread fraud. The Supreme Court is, imo, not going to flip multiple states to change the winner of the election without something really, really big.

So yes if Trump has evidence the election was literally rigged then he might have a shot but if he is complaining about some of the process then nah.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

Just as an example the Trump campaign has had another press conference at 'Four Seasons Total Landscaping' (Trump originally said Four Seasons, Philadelphia so people assumed the hotel, not sure if it's a mistake and they got the wrong Four Seasons...) and again in response to requests for evidence they didn't provide any.

If you have it, show it and go to court. Otherwise you can't expect people to give it much attention and weight.

downquark1 07-11-2020 17:39

He may trigger a recount by providing evidence to the state legislator. It is a state level unless federal law is broken. The Kennedy election was suspecious but the person involved got appointed as the district attorney and promptly decided not to investigate himself, by that time Kennedy was already president and the federal level decided not to pursue it.

Damien 07-11-2020 17:52

As I said we'll see. He hasn't provided too much so far and Biden can do without any single one of these states. Until a serious court challenge looks possible I don't think there is any reason not to press ahead with the assumption Biden is the President-Elect.

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

World Leaders including Boris Johnson have stated congratulating Biden and the phone calls will be being made soon I would assume.

pip08456 07-11-2020 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36056791)
He may trigger a recount by providing evidence to the state legislator. It is a state level unless federal law is broken. The Kennedy election was suspecious but the person involved got appointed as the district attorney and promptly decided not to investigate himself, by that time Kennedy was already president and the federal level decided not to pursue it.

Evidence of what?

downquark1 07-11-2020 18:10

Fraud.

papa smurf 07-11-2020 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36056788)
But how does that "screw things for the rest of us"?

The difficulty the rest of the West has in whether or not there is political/diplomatic honesty in, for example the UK - very difficult.

If you can pull off a con this size in the USA [if it is proven to be ] the rest of us small fry are screwed, when it happens here and everyone turns a blind eye it will be too late democracy will be dead comrade sephski ;). i mean look at the situation now 1 fake graph and all of England has lost it civil rights .

jfman 07-11-2020 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056798)
If you can pull off a con this size in the USA [if it is proven to be ] the rest of us small fry are screwed, when it happens here and everyone turns a blind eye it will be too late democracy will be dead comrade sephski ;). i mean look at the situation now 1 fake graph and all of England has lost it civil rights .

Youre assuming state and non-state actors aren’t already interfering in our elections. :D

Mr K 07-11-2020 18:30

Quote:

So how have you discovered evidence of this 'con' from Cleethorpes?

papa smurf 07-11-2020 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36056800)
So how have you discovered evidence of this 'con' from Cleethorpes?

we don't all live in a cabbage patch;)

Sephiroth 07-11-2020 18:43

Quote:

Best not to "comrade" me, Papa. But your final sentence has merit, but nothing to do with the USA.

pip08456 07-11-2020 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36056796)
Fraud.

Good luck with that.

downquark1 07-11-2020 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36056808)
Good luck with that.

Trump expanded his vote since last time including amongst minorities. So either a much much larger number of people decided to oppose him this time or the numbers are rotten. Those are the two stories in conflict here.

denphone 07-11-2020 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36056809)
Trump expanded his vote since last time including amongst minorities. So either a much much larger number of people decided to oppose him this time or the numbers are rotten. Those are the two stories in conflict here.

The Democrats have increased their vote by 9 million so obviously more came out to vote for them then came out to vote for Trump.

Damien 07-11-2020 18:56

Quote:

It makes sense.

The turnout was much higher so there is no conflict in Trump adding to this total but Biden added more.
Remember more people voted against Trump last time as well but this time the Democrats won the Electoral College and last time they didn't.
Turnout was 66.9% this time, 55.5% last time. This is the biggest turnout since 1900.

The Popular Vote last time was:

Clinton: 48.2%
Trump: 46.1%

This time (so far) it's:

Biden: 50.5%
Trump: 47.7%

Mr K 07-11-2020 18:59

Quote:

Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 and he's lost by a bigger margin in 2020. He's encouraged people who don't bother to vote to do so, so give him credit there.

downquark1 07-11-2020 19:00

That data is consistent with both stories. That is what I am saying.

Damien 07-11-2020 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36056814)
That data is consistent with both stories. That is what I am saying.

What wouldn't be consistent though is why didn't the Democrats rig the down-ballot races as well? They're not going to get the Senate and lost seats in the House. You would at least think they would rig it so they capture the Senate

papa smurf 07-11-2020 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36056813)
Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 and he's lost by a bigger margin in 2020. He's encouraged people who don't bother to vote to do so, so give him credit there.

And if the story's are correct some of those voters got to do it multiple times via the postal ballot system , it was a good year for dead people voting according to trumps lawyer. it really is the greatest country in the world if you get a vote after being dead for several years.