Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

downquark1 16-12-2020 12:33

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36062426)
The setting of "seeing a few friends and family" is the exact scenario where taking precautions and acting sensibly are at their lowest level.

Close interactions in an enclosed space is not good. Is everybody going to be socially distanced and wearing masks in that situation?:rolleyes:

You can self isolate before and after. You can keep vulnerable people away. You can ventilate the house.

papa smurf 16-12-2020 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36062415)
Has to be better than selfish signalling - since when did not wanting to infect others with a potentially deadly disease become something to be mocked?

When did following Government guidelines become "selfish signalling" was it when you mounted your high horse and clip clopped up to the moral high ground for yet another drivel based sermon, just asking for a friend who want's to come to xmas lunch without being vilified by the morality police.

1andrew1 16-12-2020 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36062398)
Agreed! If I was in charge (luckily for all you of that I'm not) I would float the idea of an extra bank holiday tagged on to Easter, May or Whitsun bank holidays saying 'here's the deal, keep your heads down now while things are rough and we can have Christmas 2.0 later when thing get better'

Call it V-day after vaccination. ;)

nomadking 16-12-2020 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36062427)
You can self isolate before and after. You can keep vulnerable people away. You can ventilate the house.

So only households that have had no contact with anybody else for 2 weeks, are allowed to meet up? Bit of a limited scenario.
It's not just about vulnerable people being present, it's about spreading of the virus where at another time and place, it will infect a vulnerable person.
Ventilating the building isn't going to make much of a difference to people who are at close quarters to one another.

papa smurf 16-12-2020 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36062429)
Call it V-day after vaccination. ;)

That sounds a bit 1940s.
will there be spitfires and wellington bombers flying over head and an end to rationing?

downquark1 16-12-2020 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36062430)
So only households that have had no contact with anybody else for 2 weeks, are allowed to meet up? Bit of a limited scenario.
It's not just about vulnerable people being present, it's about spreading of the virus where at another time and place, it will infect a vulnerable person.
Ventilating the building isn't going to make much of a difference to people who are at close quarters to one another.

It's a very wide spread scenario. I've been in the same house for months doing a full time job and looking after a mentally ill person and an energetic toddler. Literally the only break I get is if people visit. Which has been forbidden for months.

These people are cruel sadistic demons and I will not forget this.

daveeb 16-12-2020 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36062410)
virtue signaling
the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

Still happening here Turkey dinner for 14 and enough booze to last 5 days:)

Well done you, I expect all your family are immune then so don't worry about passing anything on to others.

papa smurf 16-12-2020 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36062433)
Well done you, I expect all your family are immune then so don't worry about passing anything on to others.

Thanks for that, enjoy your xmas.

Sephiroth 16-12-2020 14:11

The number of CV deaths is now approaching the total WWII civilian death total (66,375).

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...nd-world-wars/

Pierre 16-12-2020 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36062426)
Is everybody going to be socially distanced and wearing masks in that situation?:rolleyes:

What planet are you on? We're going to be sitting around a table eating bloody turkey!

My dining table isn't big enough to socially distance.

Sensible precautions will be taken before they arrive.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36062442)
The number of CV deaths is now approaching the total WWII civilian death total (66,375).

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...nd-world-wars/

and that is relevant how?

daveeb 16-12-2020 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36062444)
What planet are you on? We're going to be sitting around a table eating bloody turkey!

Like what ? Perspex partitions between chairs or maybe some mouthwash gargle before the festive Twister game.
If one person has it on the way in there will very likely be more with it on the way out.

mrmistoffelees 16-12-2020 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36062444)

Perhaps because people mourn those deaths as a senseless loss, Yet the equivalent number of covid or covid related deaths are dismissed

EDIT: I'd also like to know what you define as sensible precautions?

Will you be

a) asking them to provide evidence of a negative test before entry?
b) temperature scanning people on entry to your house?
c) asking people to self isolate/quarantine for the required ten days before attending your house?
d) Asking people to wear masks whilst inside your house?
e) maintain social distancing whilst guests are in your home but not at your table

Genuinely interested to know

Paul 16-12-2020 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36062392)
Not necessarily

Despite the continued hype, the chances of anyone catching it are still small, and the chance of dying is really small.
If your under 60 its really really small, your just as likely to die from one of many other causes.

Deaths so far are 0.097% of the population, and only 5% of those were under 60 (so 0.0049 %).

In total, there were 12,303 deaths across England and Wales in the week ending 4 December 2020, of which 23.0% involved COVID-19. [* ONS]

The British Heart Foundation reported not long ago that deaths from heart and circulatory diseases alone have risen by almost 5,000 this year. Partly because of the fear instilled into people, making them delay getting treatment (as well as the actual delays getting to see a doctor).

Those that dont like christmas can go hide in the corner and sulk, good riddance.
I love it, I intend to enjoy it, and I have no time for doom mongers trying their best to spoil it.

Chris 16-12-2020 15:46

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said ...

:D

Pierre 16-12-2020 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36062448)
Like what ? Perspex partitions between chairs or maybe some mouthwash gargle before the festive Twister game.
If one person has it on the way in there will very likely be more with it on the way out.

Like isolating for a few days, not coming if they have symptoms or have been with in contact with someone that has had symptoms.

Not rocket science. Just what sensible people that aren't scared of their own shadow will do.

Instead cowering alone behind a curtain waiting for the world to end.