Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33681059)

Chad 15-12-2012 16:23

Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35512395)
1TB :confused:

I'm getting carried away aren't I? 300gb should be the right answer :blush:

muppetman11 15-12-2012 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35512399)
I'm getting carried away aren't I? 500gb should be the right answer :blush:

The 500gb is split 250gb for personal with the other 250gb for Showcase downloads , you can record upto 60hrs HD content owing to the fact Sky use Mpeg4.

Chad 15-12-2012 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35512403)
The 500gb is split 250gb for personal with the other 250gb for Showcase downloads , you can record upto 60hrs HD content owing to the fact Sky use Mpeg4.

Don't SKY offer their 1tb box anymore? I'd be happy to pay for an upgrade before the installation however the 2tb box is just outwith by budget for now.

muppetman11 15-12-2012 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35512408)
Don't SKY offer their 1tb box anymore? I'd be happy to pay for an upgrade before the installation however the 2tb box is just outwith by budget for now.

The 1TB was replaced by the 2TB which records 350hrs HD.

telegramsam 15-12-2012 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35512410)
The 1TB was replaced by the 2TB which records 350hrs HD.

Glad I`ve already got my 1TB box:p:

nstokes 15-12-2012 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35512418)
Glad I`ve already got my 1TB box:p:

I want a 2TB box but 2 things put me off. 1. the cost and 2. i dont actually need one, someone can buy me one thou then ill take it :D

Qtx 15-12-2012 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35512408)

My install came with the 2TB box. Recorded/downloaded about 10 things so far, some of which are HD 1 hour long documentaries and it still says I have 99% space free.

alferret 16-12-2012 07:39

You could always open that bad boy up & pop in a 1tb or 2tb drive!
Depending on how we go with our sub & how much space we do use I can see us doing that rather than pay a stupid amount to Sky.

Chad 16-12-2012 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 35512664)
You could always open that bad boy up & pop in a 1tb or 2tb drive!
Depending on how we go with our sub & how much space we do use I can see us doing that rather than pay a stupid amount to Sky.

I just watched the how to video on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blarZdkztdQ

I'm not 100% sure it's something I'd like to attempt personally. I've got a small computer repair shop where I live. I'm sure they do a 1.5Tb hard drive for around £50.00. I wonder if they'd do the job for me. Would mind paying around £25.00 for the job to be done.

I have noticed posts from people on other forums that they've upgraded their drive but have found a few niggles creeping in. As the drive fills up their EPG becomes incredibly slow when they try to set new recordings.

Qtx 16-12-2012 12:18

Told the box I wanted to watch all the game of thrones yesterday. Saw it started downloading the first episode straight away so gave me the option of playing it instantly but then didn't start downloading the other episodes. Didn't watch that first episode last night anyway.

This morning checked the TBB graph for the sky connection and saw a small bump after I went to bed. Guessed it was the downloading the episodes while I slept so had a look on the sky box and they were all downloaded. Smart that it did the 25gb of downloading at that time :) 96% free space left.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/12/20.png

martyh 17-12-2012 09:50

Can someone tell me why ,since sky moved all the HD channels around that some programs appear to be in the wrong aspect ratio .Some programs fill my screen and some have the black border down the sides .This didn't happen at all before Sky buggered up the channel listing .

muppetman11 17-12-2012 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35512729)
Told the box I wanted to watch all the game of thrones yesterday. Saw it started downloading the first episode straight away so gave me the option of playing it instantly but then didn't start downloading the other episodes. Didn't watch that first episode last night anyway.

This morning checked the TBB graph for the sky connection and saw a small bump after I went to bed. Guessed it was the downloading the episodes while I slept so had a look on the sky box and they were all downloaded. Smart that it did the 25gb of downloading at that time :) 96% free space left.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/12/20.png

I very often set boxsets to download before going to bed that way there ready and waiting for you in the morning. :)

spiderplant 17-12-2012 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35513084)
Can someone tell me why ,since sky moved all the HD channels around that some programs appear to be in the wrong aspect ratio .Some programs fill my screen and some have the black border down the sides .This didn't happen at all before Sky buggered up the channel listing .

If they are showing 4:3 content on an HD or other widescreen channel, it is probably correct that bars are added down the sides. The alternatives are to zoom the picture, chopping off the top and/or bottom, or to stretch the picture horizontally, resulting in the wrong aspect ratio.

Post a screenshot if you still think it is wrong, preferably of a programme that is frequently repeated so we can compare. (I doubt is is anything to do with a channel lineup change, by the way. Just coincidence).

Mick Fisher 17-12-2012 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35513084)

4:3 content shown on a HD channel will always be in the correct aspect ratio i.e with black bars at the sides.

4:3 content shown on a SD channel, Gold for example, will be stretched to fill the screen (fat-o-vision)

It seems to be a matter of personal choice, for some it is a crises if the picture does not fill the screen? For myself I like everything in it's original aspect ratio so when the picture is streched I adjust it to 4:3 or maybe 14:9 using my TV's remote as opposed to the Sky remote.

I am sure it is possible to adjust the TV's AR using the Sky remote but I just cannot be bothered to fiddle about with it. Off the top of my head:- Pressing TV followed by Red or maybe Blue might do the trick.

Media Boy UK 19-12-2012 16:19

Overnights.tv is reporting:

UMP Stars will cease broadcasting on 23rd December, 2012.
Dance Nation will be rebranded to Chart Show Dance on 3rd January 2013.

http://www.overnights.tv/public/content/News.aspx