Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Snow ! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33610665)

Osem 08-01-2010 15:41

Re: Snow and icy conditions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 34941251)
it is true what a lorry driver said on tv, it does not happen in any other country where they hit by snow and ice.:(

I don't supoose that lorry driver was in N. France just recently then.... :rolleyes:

Or elsewhere in Europe for that matter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8425725.stm

Arthurgray50@blu 08-01-2010 16:34

Re: [Merged] Snow!

So where does the grit come from the the local councils.

iFrankie 08-01-2010 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 34941112)
More upto date pic on the BBC website from 7th Jan

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2010/01/64.jpg

that pic is stunning!

Arthurgray50@blu 08-01-2010 17:11

Now we hear from the government, that councils have got to cut gritting by 25% up till Tuesday.

As l said in an earlier thread, councils say that they are overstretched, so why not use the Payback team, during the summer our road is overun with them, so why don't they use them now, to scrape the pavements. they are like icerinks.

Uncle Peter 08-01-2010 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie07 (Post 34941319)
that pic is stunning!

There's a nice green bit down there in the South of Ireland. I'm going there!

Jules 08-01-2010 17:49

I am reduced mobility as it is so getting out in this is a no go, sadly I had to miss a funeral yesterday because of the bad weather :(

Raistlin 08-01-2010 17:51

Still no snow here, despite the Met Office issuing a doom and gloom warning that made it sound like the world was coming to an end.

altis 08-01-2010 18:23

And an even bigger version:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...010007_lrg.jpg

alferret 08-01-2010 19:06

Snowing again!

Arthurgray50@blu 08-01-2010 19:09

RobCFT, if there is no snow where you are, are you hiding somewhere, as the whole of the UK is covered in some white stuff, unless someone has busted a can of shaving foam in space.

III 08-01-2010 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by altis (Post 34941389)

Thanks altis, this is now my wallpaper :)

Rob M lives in /dev/null ;)

Raistlin 08-01-2010 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 34941408)
RobCFT, if there is no snow where you are, are you hiding somewhere, as the whole of the UK is covered in some white stuff, unless someone has busted a can of shaving foam in space.

According to the local news we're in just about the only part of the country where the snow isn't causing any problems. We've had a couple of 5 minute snowfalls over the last 4/5 days, but nowhere near enough to cause any problems.

Apparently we're due some tomorrow night, through Sunday, and into the start of next week.

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by III (Post 34941417)
Rob M lives in /dev/null ;)

Wish I did.....

Chris 08-01-2010 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by altis (Post 34941211)
Well, after nearly 4 hours of hot air blast from our 3kW heater the scullery finally thawed out. I came back in to find hot water pouring merrily down the sink. At the same time I was trying to: block off air bricks with sheets of A4; drain some hot water from pipes near radiator to encourage frozen bit to melt; assisting jump starting neighbours car; checking our two cars would fire up (Mrs A's locks were frozen) and clearing / defrosting mine. The radiator wouldn't unblock until I gave it 20mins of blast from the heater under the floorboards. Luckily, there is an access hatch nearby.

The washer seems to have survived okay - touch wood. I ran a quick cycle and loads of muck came out but there were no leaks. It appears the water came from next door's scullery where they'd had a burst pipe.

Unions seem fine except for the one containing the bleed valve. There's a little seepage from one side where I've been flexing it trying to make the cold water run downhill. One other advantage of plastic pipes is there are very few joints.

Well, you got me thinking after reading this, so I went up to the guest bedroom and turned on the rads in the bedroom and bathroom ... nothing. Had to remove the access panel and climb into the eaves behind the bathroom wall to get at the pipes, with a big hairdryer and a long extension cable. Ten minutes of blasting with hot air and the pipes are back to normal. But now I've ripped my jeans. :(

Zee 08-01-2010 20:08

Snowing here again... coming down heavy! think it will add a few more inches to what is already there

altis 08-01-2010 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34941440)
Well, you got me thinking after reading this, so I went up to the guest bedroom and turned on the rads in the bedroom and bathroom ... nothing. Had to remove the access panel and climb into the eaves behind the bathroom wall to get at the pipes, with a big hairdryer and a long extension cable. Ten minutes of blasting with hot air and the pipes are back to normal. But now I've ripped my jeans. :(

Glad I was of some use then!

Mrs A phoned her mum today to see how she and her step-dad (both well into their 70s) were getting on. Okay today but yesterday wasn't so good. Living in deepest Wales, their heating is from propane bottles and, it transpires, condensation had frozen in the pipework. They were off for a day and a half and the house went down to 10C. Apparently, they sat up all night throwing paper logs on the fire!