Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

etccarmageddon 13-04-2006 00:49

re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte
Agreed, I really didnt think I would enjoy it (no spaceships or futuristic effects) however, I was glued to the screen from start to finish.

I'm of a similar genetic make up! when a film hasn't spaceships or scifi of some kind I worry it's going to be cheap crap but often there's good stuff like garden state, seabiscuit etc that can be enjoyed despite the lower budget!

chocky909 13-04-2006 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Druchii
Ice Age 2, Excellent, went today and besides the little kids it was pretty damned good :)
Had me in stitches at times, and all my friends too :)

8.5/10

Ice Age 1 was pretty poor IMO. Compared to Pixar and Dreamworks it was cheap animation and the storyline was cleched and predictable. The actual jokes were basically just 'wisecracks' and all the characters, lazy stereotypes. I only watched 40 minutes of it so I'm not the best judge but that's the impression I got.

Maybe Ice Age 2 is better but I doubt it. And I do like kid's films generally, Charlie And The Chocolate Factory is one of the better in recent history.

dilli-theclaw 13-04-2006 14:17

Aeon Flux - Not bad 6/10

50420 13-04-2006 15:49

managed to catch lucky number slevin last night and was a great film 9/10

watched basic instinct 2 earlier in the week and tend to agree with other posts on this... a big pile of turd. came across as they were trying to outdo the leg crossing scene from the first movie, but just went over the top

MadGamer 13-04-2006 17:10

Doom - 2/10 very boring

Chris 13-04-2006 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocky909
Ice Age 1 was pretty poor IMO. Compared to Pixar and Dreamworks it was cheap animation and the storyline was cleched and predictable. The actual jokes were basically just 'wisecracks' and all the characters, lazy stereotypes. I only watched 40 minutes of it so I'm not the best judge but that's the impression I got.

I think your impression is pretty accurate. I watched it right through on ITV2 the other week. If I were to write a one-paragraph review I think I'd have said exactly the same as you did!

TheBlueRaja 15-04-2006 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T
I think your impression is pretty accurate. I watched it right through on ITV2 the other week. If I were to write a one-paragraph review I think I'd have said exactly the same as you did!

I can only remember the first 10 minutes with that squirrel chasing the nut - i dont think i've laughed so much at a cartoon in a loooong time.

Not seen the second one yet.

Mal 15-04-2006 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
I can only remember the first 10 minutes with that squirrel chasing the nut - i dont think i've laughed so much at a cartoon in a loooong time.

Not seen the second one yet.

The parts with the squirrel were the best parts of it. The rest was, imo, dire.

Druchii 15-04-2006 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal
The parts with the squirrel were the best parts of it. The rest was, imo, dire.

Ice Age 1, the story sucked really. And that's putting it lightly, # 2 was infinitely better.

Shabba 18-04-2006 03:52

Scary Movie 4: If your a fan of 1 & 2 but thought 3 was poo then this will have you laughing from the first minute to the end :)

Druchii 18-04-2006 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabba
Scary Movie 4: If your a fan of 1 & 2 but thought 3 was poo then this will have you laughing from the first minute to the end :)

Sounds Perfec' :) I should be watching this soon then :D

Chris 18-04-2006 09:56

Finally saw Tomb Raider last night, on BBC3. It's typical of a game-to-movie conversion and proves that sufficient plot for a computer game is not sufficient plot for a 90-minute feature.

I wouldn't sit and watch someone else play Tomb Raider from start to finish, so why does a film studio think I'll want to sit and watch someone else 'playing' it on a cinema screen?

4/10 because it looked good and filled an evening. I say 'it', not 'she' ... is Angeline Jolie supposed to be a pin up?

TheBlueRaja 20-04-2006 22:06

Been having a bit of a movie fest lately (got a new telly) so here's a rundown:-

King Arthur - 1/10
YAWN! Got switched off after about 20 minutes.

Chronicles of Narnia - 4/10
Not so good - just didnt feel like they caught the right feeling for this one, better for kids i suppose but...

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 8/10
Potter's for kids too and this is much better, best movie of the series so far from the best book of the series, still prefer to read it than see it though.

The Constant Gardner - 8/10
Good movie but a bit too serious to be enjoyable if you catch what i mean, potent messages in this one though which make you think a bit.

Finally my pick of the bunch by a mile...

Millions - 10/10

Bloody brilliant movie, nearly brought a tear to my eye which is saying something in itself. From beginning to end i had a wee smile on my face watching this - i feel kind of tamed now.

Do youself a favor and see this one!

Russ 24-04-2006 00:35

The Wicker Man - freaky stuff. A bit silly in parts too.

Stephen 25-04-2006 11:35

Watched a Japanese film called Casshern at the weekend. A very well made movie with a great story and a very manga animation look about it.

Slightly hard to follow when trying to watch the action and read the subtitles as well, due to the film being very fast paced.

Overall I really enjoyed it. 7/10

orangebird 25-04-2006 11:51

Any body seen Silent Hill yet? Am off to see it tonight....

Nugget 25-04-2006 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangebird

Ooh ooh, let us know how you get on 'cos I'm planning on seeing this next week while Mrs Nug is away (I might even get Slither in as well)

Dave Stones 25-04-2006 12:55

Quote:

It's not bad but it's overrated. You also get a bit lost in the plot sometimes too... or I did anyway :D (Non-Silent Hill-Playing watcher).

I've just rewatched the Cube franchise again. Mucho themes that Saw seemed to draw off, suppose it's inevitable though with them both having the same relatively small production companies...

Cube 7/10
Cube:Hypercube 5/10
Cube Zero 7/10

:D

Chris 25-04-2006 13:07

The Family Stone: Imagine 'Meet the Parents', then take out all the jokes. Absolutely awful. 2/10.

TheBlueRaja 25-04-2006 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stones
It's not bad but it's overrated. You also get a bit lost in the plot sometimes too... or I did anyway :D (Non-Silent Hill-Playing watcher).

I've just rewatched the Cube franchise again. Mucho themes that Saw seemed to draw off, suppose it's inevitable though with them both having the same relatively small production companies...

Cube 7/10
Cube Zero 7/10

Cube Zero eh... Not seen that one yet, the first one was superb.

orangebird 25-04-2006 15:36

Quote:

Cube 7/10
Cube Zero 7/10

I didn't even know it was based on a game til yesterday.. :dunce:

etccarmageddon 25-04-2006 17:13

Quote:

The Family Stone: Imagine 'Meet the Parents', then take out all the jokes. Absolutely awful. 2/10.

I disagree, I thought it was ok. the humour was a lot more reserved and darker. The film lost it though when the relationships went in a strange direction - I wont say anymore as that would be spoilers.

chocky909 25-04-2006 19:27

Office Space - comedy by Mike Judge of King Of The Hill fame - really good in a not too pretentious way. Can't believe I hadn't heard of it until now. 9/10

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Quote:

Cube 7/10
Cube Zero 7/10

You haven't seen the whole set yet... the original arthouse TV drama/film was I think what the three films where based on... slightly different in tone mind...directed by Jim Henson no less

imdb link

Slyder 25-04-2006 20:00

Ben Dover - Housewives' Fantasies Fulfilled 1/10
Not half enough smut as previous titles for my likeing...... :D

on a serious note... last film I watched was Narnia... Give me the original or the book anyday. This is another example how classic films should be left as classics and not re-hashed. 1/10

chocky909 25-04-2006 20:20

Quote:

Cube 7/10
Cube Zero 7/10

Oh and you can watch the Jim Henson original on youtube I just found out... here
It seems al ittle out of sync, soundwise though... It's available through other means too I've heard...

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slyder
Ben Dover - Housewives' Fantasies Fulfilled 1/10
Not half enough smut as previous titles for my likeing...... :D

on a serious note... last film I watched was Narnia... Give me the original or the book anyday. This is another example how classic films should be left as classics and not re-hashed. 1/10

Original? You talking about the BBC dramatisations because I remember hating those when I was a teenager? I read the books when I was much younger and thought the BBC version was pretty rubbish - but then I nearly always find that about books adapted to film - you can watch the film and then read and enjoy the book, but not so easily the other way round.

I haven't watched the film yet but keep meaning to...

Jules 25-04-2006 22:01

Scarey movie 4 is not as good as the other ones 5/10

Keeping mum was a let down 5/10

orangebird 26-04-2006 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget
Ooh ooh, let us know how you get on 'cos I'm planning on seeing this next week while Mrs Nug is away (I might even get Slither in as well)

OK. I give this 6/10. Quite scary, a little bit gruesome in some parts but I didn't really get the ending. :dunce:

joggerspark 26-04-2006 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules
Scarey movie 4 is not as good as the other ones 5/10

Keeping mum was a let down 5/10

i agree keeping mum not as expected..

Nugget 26-04-2006 09:21

Quote:

OK. I give this 6/10. Quite scary, a little bit gruesome in some parts but I didn't really get the ending. :dunce:

Cheers OB - I'll let you know what I think next week :tu:

liamboyle06 26-04-2006 11:04

Silent Hill - stuck to game well, but not all that scary, bit confusing at times - 6/10
Scary Movie 4 - Started well, but just dragged on - 5/10

Stuart 26-04-2006 13:00

Quote:

Finally saw Tomb Raider last night, on BBC3. It's typical of a game-to-movie conversion and proves that sufficient plot for a computer game is not sufficient plot for a 90-minute feature.

I wouldn't sit and watch someone else play Tomb Raider from start to finish, so why does a film studio think I'll want to sit and watch someone else 'playing' it on a cinema screen?

4/10 because it looked good and filled an evening. I say 'it', not 'she' ... is Angeline Jolie supposed to be a pin up?

I think Tomb Raider (and to a certain extent TRII) is an excellent "friday night, after the pub" movie. By that, I mean very little story, impressive stunts, impressive special FX and a main character with large t*ts.

Chris 26-04-2006 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart C
a main character with large t*ts.

Charcter, but not actress - she had to wear a padded bra in order to achieve the Lara Croft look, IIRC. She still doesn't do anything for me though.

Stuart 26-04-2006 13:23

Quote:

Quote:

a main character with large t*ts.

Charcter, but not actress - she had to wear a padded bra in order to achieve the Lara Croft look, IIRC. She still doesn't do anything for me though.

Each to their own. I do think that Angelina Jolie can look quite sexy, but she didn't look too sexy in Tomb Raider.

I think she actually is quite well endowed, it's just that the Lara Croft build is anotomically very difficult. At lease without installing implants large enough that they are likely to cause health problems.

Chris 26-04-2006 13:34

Quote:

Each to their own. I do think that Angelina Jolie can look quite sexy, but she didn't look too sexy in Tomb Raider.

I think she actually is quite well endowed, it's just that the Lara Croft build is anotomically very difficult. At lease without installing implants large enough that they are likely to cause health problems.

/opens mouth to say something about the nerds who devised the 'Lara Croft build'

/decides discretion is the better part of valour

etccarmageddon 26-04-2006 14:00

Quote:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001401/bio

Quote:

I'll make it real simple, I'm a 36-C. In the game, she's a double-D. In the movie, she's a D. We split the difference...

p.s. as far as I know she has not purchased or leased implants.

Halcyon 04-05-2006 23:04

Mission impossible III

This is a big blockbuster full of explosive action and big impossible stunts.
This is mission impossible so some things are hard to believe so dont take it too seriosuly.
It's a good movie and has elements from the past films too. Probably the best of the 3 films.

Stuart 05-05-2006 00:00

Nightwatch: I bought this based purely upon a couple of reviews, and the trailer. What I was expecting was a good action film, with some impressive stunts, What I got was a film that seemed to take all it's mystical background, and a fair amount of the backing story, from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I kept thinking of the Watcher's Council). The image was aided by the fact that, in one scene, a character is watching the Dracula episode of Buffy.

It's actually not a bad film. The dubbing is a little distracting (and actually doesn't match with the subtitles), and the story is actually allright. There are a few absolutely stunning scenes, but in general, I wouldn't have bought it if I had seen it.

greencreeper 05-05-2006 08:35

I caught a bit of the Matrix on TV. Not seen it before. All has become clear as to why it's popular - lets the spotty no-life geeks dream, if only for a moment, that they can be the all-action hero Neo :D Seemed very good. Must watch the whole thing.

pedantic 05-05-2006 08:45

The Italian Job 7/10

Not seen this before, not sure why. I probably thought it would be a cheesy remake of the classic. Totally different story line though, just a couple of similarities. But mainly watched it because of Charlize Theron. :drool: oops:

Stuart 05-05-2006 09:27

I also watched "The Butterfly Effect" the other day. A surprisingly interesting film. I can't go into to much detail, but it's basically about a man, who since being a small boy, has had blackouts. He then discovers he can remember what happened during the blackouts. As the film goes on, he also discovers the ability to *change* what happened (the actual events, not just the memories) in the blackouts. The film is about the changes that occur in his life because of this ability.

Interesting idea executed quite well.

Jules 05-05-2006 10:59

We went to see Ice age2 at the weekend (more because we had a free ticket lol) and I have to say it was ok 8/10

TheBlueRaja 05-05-2006 14:55

Quote:

I also watched "The Butterfly Effect" the other day. A surprisingly interesting film. I can't go into to much detail, but it's basically about a man, who since being a small boy, has had blackouts. He then discovers he can remember what happened during the blackouts. As the film goes on, he also discovers the ability to *change* what happened (the actual events, not just the memories) in the blackouts. The film is about the changes that occur in his life because of this ability.

Sounds good that one!

nintendo 05-05-2006 18:40

treasure planet - 4/10

disney disaster!!!

chocky909 06-05-2006 00:18

Quote:

So basically, "Quantum Leap - The Movie" ;)

Jules 20-05-2006 11:50

I watched "Not another teen movie" last night, it is quite good but I suspect I enjoyed it for different reasons to our esteemed Admin Russ ;)

If you like Scarey movie I am sure you will enjoy this

tonecold 21-05-2006 02:30

Last film I saw at cinema was Saw 2, bloody awesome (literally). I don't get jumpy with horror movies, I just laugh at them instead.

Also saw Falling Down on TV last night if that counts, a true antihero classic.

etccarmageddon 21-05-2006 10:48

match point - awful.

akane1984 21-05-2006 10:53

da vinci code very very good.

Jules 21-05-2006 11:39

Saw Red eye last night, it was ok but it could have been far better

Halcyon 21-05-2006 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by akane1984
da vinci code very very good.

Going to see this next week. People say it's quite a long film.
I'm looking forward to seeing wether it lives up to all the hype it's been given.

ZrByte 21-05-2006 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon
Going to see this next week. People say it's quite a long film.
I'm looking forward to seeing wether it lives up to all the hype it's been given.

Going to see this one Tuesday myself, going to be a busy cinema week for me actually, im going to see X-Men III on Thursday aswel.

Jules 21-05-2006 18:23

Is X-men 111 out this week??? Oh great I have been looking forward to that :)

ZrByte 21-05-2006 19:19

Quote:

I hope so or thats going to be the most boring evening spent in the cinema of my life this thursday :)

TheBlueRaja 22-05-2006 12:52

Assault on Precinct 13

Enjoyable action movie, unfortunaly it has an obvious bad guy your not supposed to know about from the start (trust me - im not giving anything away) but apart from that - worthy.

Druchii 22-05-2006 13:19

Quote:

Assault on Precinct 13 Enjoyable action movie, unfortunaly it has an obvious bad guy your not supposed to know about from the start (trust me - im not giving anything away) but apart from that - worthy.

That was a nice film, saw it a while back. I enjoyed it, but it is a little predictable in places. Still, kept me entertained, 6.5/10.

TheBlueRaja 22-05-2006 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Druchii
That was a nice film, saw it a while back. I enjoyed it, but it is a little predictable in places. Still, kept me entertained, 6.5/10.

Did you notice the obvious bad guy as well?

Druchii 22-05-2006 13:57

Quote:

Did you notice the obvious bad guy as well?

So long ago i'm not entirely sure, although i do remember predictability for some reason.

Stuart 26-05-2006 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte
Quote:

I hope so or thats going to be the most boring evening spent in the cinema of my life this thursday :)

You never saw "The Grifters" at the cinema then? :D

Anyway. the last two films I saw were "Aeon Flux" and "Fun with Dick and Jane". Saw the former on the plane out to Las Vegas, and the latter on the plane back.

Aeon Flux

I was being constantly interrupted by the various goings on on the plane (stewards serving drinks/food etc) while watching this, so have possibly missed large chunks.

From what I did see: Charlise Theron looked rather nice, it had some good stunts and good special FX. The bad part is that the story was difficult to understand (although, as I said, this may be due to the interruptions as I can follow most stories easily), the script was bad. The other major bad point is that it seemed very much like a generic action film from a comic book (set in a future world, oppressive government rules and a brave rebellion fights back). I'd give it a 4/10.

Fun with Dick and Jane.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this, but, surprisingly, I did. Not because it was a great story (it wasn't), or had a great script (it didn't). Not even because it has Jim Carrey acting the fool in it (he went way over the top). I enjoyed it mainly because Tea Leoni performed well in it. She may not be the greatest actress ever, but she does seem to have brilliant comic timing, and does visual comedy well. 5/10.

liamboyle06 26-05-2006 16:21

X-Men 3
Graphically this was a stunning movie, The Effects through out the show are nothing short of stunning.
I was left a bit disappointed with it though, Was not what I had imaging.
True the film was action after action, but I left the Cinema feeling " was that it?"
I personally feel the second film was a better story. This was a good film but for me was not long enough and did not close off any questions i might have had.
i would give it an 8/10.

joggerspark 26-05-2006 16:21

syriana 7/10

etccarmageddon 26-05-2006 17:02

spot the person who was on BMI flight 751

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

I watched fun with dick/jane on that flight - mighty fine film.

TheBlueRaja 26-05-2006 22:12

Ray - Loooooooooong film, but some damn fine tunes and a worthwhile no holds barred flick about the life of Ray Charles.

8/10

Tezcatlipoca 28-05-2006 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by liamboyle06
X-Men 3
Graphically this was a stunning movie, The Effects through out the show are nothing short of stunning.
True the film was action after action, but I left the Cinema feeling " was that it?"
I personally feel the second film was a better story. This was a good film but for me was not long enough and did not close off any questions i might have had.
i would give it an 8/10.

I saw X3 tonight.

Very good, although not as good as no. 2.

Did you stay after the credits, for the (predictable IMO) post-credit-scene mentioned in some of the reviews?

bopdude 28-05-2006 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D
Quote:

Originally Posted by liamboyle06
X-Men 3
i would give it an 8/10.

I saw X3 tonight.

Very good, although not as good as no. 2.

Did you stay after the credits, for the (predictable IMO) post-credit-scene mentioned in some of the reviews?

There is ? was ? oh crap, I'll have to watch the lot again :dozey: ;) just watched it now, very good from start to finish IMHO :tu:

bopdude 28-05-2006 09:32

i just watched my :erm: version, and there wasn't anything at the end :(

Dan_Sette 28-05-2006 09:42

Piierrepoint. The film about Albert Pierrepoint, Britains most prolific hangman. Currently on limited cinematic release around the country, but made by Channel Four for TV later this summer.

Brilliantly protrayed by Timothy Spall. A must watch film that doesn't judge the rights and wrongs of capital punishment, but explores the impact it had on one man's life who was the instrument of the state.

D

ZrByte 28-05-2006 16:40

I went to see X - 3 on wednesday at midnight (technically thursday). I really enjoyed the film but I did find it was lacking in something, I also didnt like the amount of changes they have made. It seemed to me like they where more interested in setting up something like a spinoff (X-Men evolution maybe), reminded me a bit of blade trinity in that respect. Though I have to say the special effects where amazing and Mystique as a human :D , she looks so hot as a brunette :drool:

Tezcatlipoca 28-05-2006 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by bopdude
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D

There is ? was ? oh crap, I'll have to watch the lot again :dozey: ;) just watched it now, very good from start to finish IMHO :tu:

Post credits scene....

Spoiler: 
After the end credits finish, there's a very brief scene in Moira McTaggert's lab on Muir Island (those who read the comics or saw the cartoon will know her). She's the woman from the scene earlier on, when Xavier was discussing Ethics to his class, & posed the question of e.g. would it be ethical to transfer the conciousness of a dying man into the brain of a man who was a veg - the man Moira was looking after in the brief video he showed the class. So, cue the post-credits scene...we see the veg man wake up, and - speaking with Xavier's voice - say something like "Hello, Moira". Shock, horror, Xavier isn't really dead..

I guessed they'd do something like as soon as Jean disintegrated him, seeing as how they'd forshadowed it with the Moira clip earlier on, & seeing as how, in the Marvel Universe, no one ever stays dead apart from Uncle Ben.

Anyway. I know they've said it's the "end of the trilogy", but I hope they make another. Still plenty of stuff to use for more movies. And even though
Spoiler: 
Scott & Jean are dead, Jean can surely come back again courtesy of the Phoenix Force, while we never actually saw Scott die, although if he is dead, it matters not as he's always been a crap character, in all X-Men versions. And I'm sure Magneto will be back, as the end scene before the credits shows that perhaps the "Cure" isn't so permanent after all.

I really want them to use the Sentinals in another movie, properly & not just in the Danger Room.

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Quote:

i just watched my :erm: version, and there wasn't anything at the end :(

That's trouble with those, isn't it, the guy with the camcorder always leaves as soon as the credits roll ;)

Stephen 29-05-2006 01:11

Saw X3 today. Overall a good film but still not the same standard as the others due to the different Director. However as Singer has gone on to Superman that will be the BIG summer blockbuster of 2006!!

A bit about the after credits scene...
Spoiler: 
The man lying in the bed didn't wake up and talk to Moira as there were all the tubes and medical things. I presumed that as it was off screen Prof Xavier was communicating telepathically, which is why she looked so shocked.

etccarmageddon 11-06-2006 02:22

running scared (2006) - a truely excellent thriller especially because of the 15 min sub plot in the middle of the film after the lad gets into the back of a people carrier. cant say any more about it without spoiling it. if you liked pulp fiction I think you'll like this film. I loved it - brilliant script and twists.

Halcyon 11-06-2006 10:25

Watched "Crash" on DVD last night and thought it was a very good film indeed.
Really makes you think about how people are treated in society and how certain stereotypes are not neccesarily true. A very good film about life views and racism. 10/10

bopdude 29-06-2006 10:30

Just watched the new Jet Li film, Fearless, if you like martial arts films ( and I do ) it's very very good, good cinematography, fight scenes are fantasic and some of the scenery is outta this world.
Pity it's being billed as Jet Li's final film, don't know what that's about :(

ZrByte 29-06-2006 11:29

Quote:

Just watched the new Jet Li film, Fearless, if you like martial arts films ( and I do ) it's very very good, good cinematography, fight scenes are fantasic and some of the scenery is outta this world.
Pity it's being billed as Jet Li's final film, don't know what that's about :(

I've heard it something to do with his age, also like others (such as Jackie Chan) insurance companies wont touch them due to them doing thier own stunts.

Aragorn 29-06-2006 11:55

Watched a preview showing of Over The Hedge the other night.
Very funny film - up there with other Dreamworks cartoons (Shrek, Madagascar) - lots of good adult 'in jokes'. 8/10

bopdude 29-06-2006 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aragorn
Watched a preview showing of Over The Hedge the other night.
Very funny film - up there with other Dreamworks cartoons (Shrek, Madagascar) - lots of good adult 'in jokes'. 8/10

Oh yeah, watched it the other week on a :erm: early release, very good, as you say, the humour is up there with the best, just outta reach of the young 'uns but well within reach of us big 'uns :erm: :D

Legendary_PSR 29-06-2006 18:09

watched pirates of the caribbean(again) cos of the 2nd one appearing soon. still a very good film i thought

dilli-theclaw 29-06-2006 18:12

Ultraviolet - which was ok I guess.

But then I quite fancy the heroine :)

Stephen 08-07-2006 01:44

Just back from seeing Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead man's Chest.

Amazing swashbuckling action. Loved it. Can't wait to see the 3rd one now.

9/10

Halcyon 08-07-2006 11:52

The Lake House

Starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock, this is a romantic drama.
A little predictable but a nice romantic story that puts you in a happy mood. Very enjoyable if you want something a little romantic and a change from action movies.

Stuart 08-07-2006 23:20

District 13: Luc Besson back at his best! After loving "The Transporter", I was a little disappointed with the sequel. It wasn't bad, just not that memorable.

It hasn't got a massively complicated story, but it is quite well acted, the action is brilliant (especially the amazing escape sequence at the beginning, and some amazing car stunts). I won't give away too mch of the plot, but the hero is a young bloke who is lives in the seediest town in France, and he is trying to rid the area of drugs. He is also the bloke who was escaping from a gang in a video that floated around the internet a few months back (even posted on here I think).

It's well worth an hour and a half of anyone's time, and the only thing that might irritate some people is that it's in French with English subtitles.

Slyder 09-07-2006 10:36

Lucky Number Slevin... 10/10... quality film, brilliant story with some excellent twists... :D

Hard Candy... meh... the trailer looked good... thats all I will say on the matter...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
Ultraviolet - which was ok I guess.

But then I quite fancy the heroine :)

I didnt watch it for the story either, (which was shockingly poor imo) I always felt this was a play on her previous films.

My name is Alice - blah blah blah experiments... goverment stuff... blah blah blah
My name is Violet - blah blah blah more experiments... more goverment stuff... blah blah blah...

Ive made my point I think....

Hugh 09-07-2006 10:48

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - great fun!

ps You can wait till after the 10 minutes of titles for a little bit extra, but imho it didn't add anything (unless I am proved wrong in POTC3-World's End

Halcyon 09-07-2006 11:53

Thanks, I will make sure I wait til the end of the credits.
I'm looking forward to seeing this film.
I wonder when the 3rd one will be out too.

etccarmageddon 09-07-2006 12:08

slyder - I recommend kiss kiss bang bang if you like that lucky number film.

ZrByte 09-07-2006 16:49

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Utter Garbage!!! Ok it was fairly funny, and there where some good stunts and effects but it was nowhere near as good as the original, not by a long shot!! That said im sure I'll still be one of the first in when number three comes out.

Stephen 09-07-2006 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon
Thanks, I will make sure I wait til the end of the credits.
I'm looking forward to seeing this film.
I wonder when the 3rd one will be out too.

Apparently may 2007 !!:(

Enuff 09-07-2006 23:28

Watched Schindlers List the other day. a very good film, recommended.

Stuart 10-07-2006 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slyder

I didnt watch it for the story either, (which was shockingly poor imo) I always felt this was a play on her previous films.

My name is Alice - blah blah blah experiments... goverment stuff... blah blah blah
My name is Violet - blah blah blah more experiments... more goverment stuff... blah blah blah...

Ive made my point I think....

Actually, Ultraviolet is written and directed by the writer and director of Equilibrium, and borrows heavily from that. Especially the religious imagery (did you notice that the large centre at the end was actually the shape of a cross?).

Equilibrium was a far better film though.

TheDaddy 10-07-2006 11:48

Quote:

Actually, Ultraviolet is written and directed by the writer and director of Equilibrium, and borrows heavily from that. Especially the religious imagery (did you notice that the large centre at the end was actually the shape of a cross?).

Equilibrium was a far better film though.

Saw Equillibrium last night, very strange, sort of Fahrenheit 451 /1984 meets the Matrix, I thought it was pretty good though.

TheBlueRaja 10-07-2006 15:06

Nightwatch 8/10

A russian big budget movie (yes they do have them) which takes from just about every big moive ever made. (Star Wars, LOTR, Matrix, Blade etc.) but still produces quite a fresh feel to it, first of a trilogy too apparently.

Well worth a watch!

Jules 10-07-2006 15:17

Went to see Pirates of the Caribbean on Saturday, good film, I am just gutted now as I didn't wait until the credits had ended to see what came up :(

TheNorm 12-07-2006 09:32

I saw The Thin Man on TCM last night - excellent film! I particularly liked the way the humour was so sharp, considering that the film was made in 1934. It was also interesting to see a young Cesar Romero, who would go on to play The Joker in the the 1960's Batman series.

Why can't they make more like this?

TheBlueRaja 18-07-2006 08:20

Saw Superman on Sunday night, great effects but a poor movie as not much happens.

Still - i did enjoy it.

orangebird 18-07-2006 09:19

Dead Mans Chest. A bit gruesome tbh. All those barnacles on their faces and stuff :sick: But I did enjoy it very much. The ending was really irritating, but I suppose it served it's purpose - am definitely going to see the next one - anyone know when it's released? 7/10 :tu:

Stephen 18-07-2006 11:22

Quote:

Saw Superman on Sunday night, great effects but a poor movie as not much happens.

Still - i did enjoy it.

did you see the same movie that I did. There was loads happening in the film. Maybe not the biggest actions scenes but there was a lot of good story happening, also reintroducing the characters.

TheBlueRaja 18-07-2006 11:27

JMO bro!

It didnt grab me, seemed to be a week story to be honest.

pedantic 18-07-2006 12:23

Quote:

Dead Mans Chest. A bit gruesome tbh. All those barnacles on their faces and stuff :sick: But I did enjoy it very much. The ending was really irritating, but I suppose it served it's purpose - am definitely going to see the next one - anyone know when it's released? 7/10 :tu:

According to this it will be May, next year. I'm pretty sure that's a US release date though, as is usually the case with new films.

liamboyle06 18-07-2006 15:30

Superman - thought it was brilliant, good introduction of character histories, great special effects, nice story line - stuck well to the original films.
Over all a brilliant film 9/10

Stuart 22-07-2006 19:06

Superman (again).

High points: Most of the cast (Brandon Routh actually does a good job of playing Superman like Christopher Reeve did), the story, the special FX.

Low points: I am reaching a bit here, as she is still good, but Kate Bosworth doesn't play Lois Lane quite as well as Margot Kidder did (IMO).

Russ 23-07-2006 16:36

United 93 - very upsetting and although we don't know if it was the true events, it's hard not to feel nothing but pure hate for Islamic terrorists.