PDA

View Full Version : Hertfordshire Area.....problem?

G.B.H.
23-03-2004, 14:24
Hiya all,
I was just wondering if anyone else in the Hertfordshire area are having problems with slow browsing?.It's been terrible now for about 3 weeks (had this similar problem last sept-oct).I tried phoning customer support,but it seems they are all out partying due to their rise in the minimum wage!!

Web pages shouldn't take 4 minutes 33 seconds to load (most web pages do this).I just can't find any info from anywhere regarding maintenance around the Herts area.

Any links to info would be a godsend,

Thanks in advance :)

Neil
23-03-2004, 14:34
Can you give us a clue as to where you might be? ;)

eoin.miskell
23-03-2004, 15:07
I live in St. Albans, Hertfordshire and i have been having the same problems for the past few weeks on my 1MB connection.

G.B.H.
23-03-2004, 15:09
Oops my bad manners...

Hi Neil.....i'm in Stevenage mate.....cheers :)

Chris W
23-03-2004, 15:16
Hi GBH and :welcome:

have you tried specifying a proxy server? try a couple in your area and a couple that aren't and see if this improves things.

gohadz
23-03-2004, 16:00
Oops my bad manners...

Hi Neil.....i'm in Stevenage mate.....cheers :)
I'm also in stevenage (near the sainsbury's, but not the corey's mill 1) and i've had my internet slower aswell, its just bareable, but when i play counter-strike it lags a fair bit.

IanCooper
23-03-2004, 19:10
Like treacle in Welwyn Garden City also. I've been told that there is oversubscription in postcode areas AL8/9/10 - has been since December and is a known fault.
Taking for ever to fix - or am I just being 'fobbed off' by cs!!??

rick
23-03-2004, 19:38
Colchester here and some sites are loading fast and others :confused:

alex_walke
23-03-2004, 19:44
im in Hemel Hempstead, experiencing the same problem, and when switching to different proxy servers nothing happens. In fact some sites dont even work properly if i use a different proxy server.

G.B.H.
23-03-2004, 23:03
when switching to different proxy servers nothing happens. In fact some sites dont even work properly if i use a different proxy server.Sounds familiar :eek:

steveahall
24-03-2004, 01:11
I'm in Stevenage and have given up with the "local" luton proxy servers. After a week of switching between them trying to get a decent speed, I'm now using cache3-wtfd.server.ntli.net and haven't had a problem for days....

SMHarman
24-03-2004, 08:53
Browsing was slow for me in Hertford last night, but I was being slow and reading newsgroups also, so I could not be bothered to fix it.

It's a load thing as the problem does not exist during the day.

G.B.H.
24-03-2004, 13:18
Yes,they do like over subscribing don't they.....even though my service isn't half as good as it was 4 years ago..they still charge me the same price :td:

Greed is a word that comes to mind.

David25
24-03-2004, 14:55
Like treacle in Welwyn Garden City also. I've been told that there is oversubscription in postcode areas AL8/9/10 - has been since December and is a known fault.
Taking for ever to fix - or am I just being 'fobbed off' by cs!!??

This is correct.

There are issues on 5 cables on 2 uBRs in the area. A good way to test if you are on one of the problem cables is to see if there is a difference at peak times. If it is worse at evenings/weekends you are likely to be in an oversubscribed area.

Neil
24-03-2004, 15:01
The really frustrating thing here, is that last summer I went through all of these Luton/Herts/Beds issue with David Thatcher (then MD for that region)

I supplied him details of all the users that had issues that I collated on .com, & copies of threads we had running here.

And look what happened....:rolleyes:

G.B.H.
24-03-2004, 15:57
Hmm......it would be really interesting to know how many NTL customers have defected to other companies due to the lack of proper service and care which was so present in the advertising leaflets dropped onto my doormat all that time ago.

Over subscribing an area just to claw in a few more quid is just lame from a company such as this.

Richardr
24-03-2004, 23:00
I live in St. Albans, Hertfordshire and i have been having the same problems for the past few weeks on my 1MB connection.
I too am in St Albans, and find with a connexion, changing proxy server works for me(the default is like treacle).

My main problem is not getting a signal at all. I had no problems until giving up on the TV / telephone service. Since then, the signal levels have caused problems. An engineer added an attenuator - as in the cold weather, the signal was suddenly too high. That worked for a while. Now, with the attenuator, it fails. Without, it works at night, but often not during the day.

bennyboyamo
25-03-2004, 08:22
I live in Hemel Hempstead, and I've been having the same problems for about a week now :(

Ben

flygurp
25-03-2004, 10:06
I had a long frustrating chat with tech support about the Ware area. The 512 service would often crawl at between 40- 60 kbs. They intially denied any problem at their end but I mentioned that a lot of the ware guys were discussing the ubr. They then agreed that contention ratios in ware were close to saturation but that they were upgrading the system mid feb. Well Mid feb came and went and we are still getting poor download speeds from 4:30 pm onwards and it is almost impossible to use the web on the weekends. I don't believe anything they say now as a lot of it is simply to fob us off. However , I wonder if the grass is any greener.....?

G.B.H.
25-03-2004, 10:56
I think NTL treat their customers the way they do because they know we are limited in many cases to what we are actually getting as a service....bit like when BT had the monopoly on the phone side of the market.

Since all those other phone companies started challenging BT for a slice of the pie,their (BT's) attitude suddenly changed when they noticed many fed up customers were leaving to sign contracts with these new providers.

Maybe NTL need this to happen as a "wake up" call.

Neil
25-03-2004, 11:14
I don't believe anything they say now as a lot of it is simply to fob us off. However , I wonder if the grass is any greener.....?

It most certainly is. :)

tkiely
25-03-2004, 11:46
It most certainly is. :)

I'll second that!!!

alex_walke
26-03-2004, 20:46
Im Beginning To Feel Very Annoyed Now With The Level Of Service In Hemel Hempstead. My Broadband Is ****ing Me Off Tonight, On Other Proxy Servers Sites Dont Work On Them, And I Get The Message:

"tunnel Connection Failed" All The Bloody Time

Its Not Good Enough.

Death Jester
26-03-2004, 21:33
Yep, I can vouch for both the poor connection, and rubbish customer support.

I'm currently in the process of migrating to BT line, with either Pipex or F2S ADSL line.

Well, I will be migrating, as soon as someone answers my questions. (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=10094)

vaiolator
26-03-2004, 22:11
Just thought I would add to what has already been said. I have posted a few times over a few months, about Hemel being poor for speed or time outs. I'm on my third Luton proxy in as many hours. Granted, it isnt everyday thats bad but enough to be a pain for the money we pay.
I have rang tech supp on one or two occasions, but if anyone has read any of the posts at the time, I was told NTL don't support Zone Alarm, but recommend you have it. When thats turned off, they dont support windows and I must have a virus anyway. No wonder we just change proxies or in the case of a colleague of my wife, upgrade their package! I mean, whats that all about? She called about slow browsing, was told it was probably a virus and was then sold a higher speed to overcome the problem. This was told to me this evening.

Chris W
27-03-2004, 02:41
Yep, I can vouch for both the poor connection, and rubbish customer support.

I'm currently in the process of migrating to BT line, with either Pipex or F2S ADSL line.

Well, I will be migrating, as soon as someone answers my questions. (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=10094)

someone has already answered your 'question' so lose the attitude. if you don't want to be with ntl then go get another service provide. why do you need someone else to tell you what to do?! make your own decision!

I am fed up with people telling me customer support is rubbish, i do my best in my job and that is the most i can give. If there is a problem in your area, what do you expect tech support on the phones to do?!! they are not network engineers... so can't sort out proxy/ubr/ hardware faults!

If you want to pm me you username/ mac address for the BB account i will be happy to take a look at this for you, but please bear in mind that i am doing this for a favour... abusing people won't help your cause.

And yes i am drunk at the moment, so if the post doesn't make sense sorry. but pm me the details and i will have a look at work tomorrow.

Death Jester
27-03-2004, 10:52
someone has already answered your 'question' so lose the attitude. if you don't want to be with ntl then go get another service provide. why do you need someone else to tell you what to do?! make your own decision!

I am fed up with people telling me customer support is rubbish, i do my best in my job and that is the most i can give. If there is a problem in your area, what do you expect tech support on the phones to do?!! they are not network engineers... so can't sort out proxy/ubr/ hardware faults!

If you want to pm me you username/ mac address for the BB account i will be happy to take a look at this for you, but please bear in mind that i am doing this for a favour... abusing people won't help your cause.

And yes i am drunk at the moment, so if the post doesn't make sense sorry. but pm me the details and i will have a look at work tomorrow.Look, just cause you work in customer support, dont feel like you need to speak up for them. You don't know my position. You don't know that I have had BB for 1 year, with non-stop problems, and that I have had no help from ntl. You don't know that I have been charged twice for call-outs, and have refused to pay both of them, and it has been resolved because if was their fault. You don't know that the CS in Luton in abysmal.

You know what I'm sick of? People who immediately feel the need to jump on someone for saying something, when they do not know all the facts.
Oh, that and people who use the excuse "I'm drunk, so my posts are crap". If you post badly when drunk, either don't drink, or dont go on the internet when drunk. Now go get another beer you lush :dozey:

G.B.H.
28-03-2004, 22:17
Ahhhh...so many people,so many axes to grind,many in the same area....can't be coincidence though can it?

if you don't want to be with ntl then go get another service provide.Does your boss know you say things like this to customers?

I am fed up with people telling me customer support is rubbish

[Admin Edit] (Neil)-No need for comments like that here thanks.

Paul
28-03-2004, 22:59
Look, just cause you work in customer support, dont feel like you need to speak up for them. You don't know my position. You don't know that I have had BB for 1 year, with non-stop problems, and that I have had no help from ntl. You don't know that I have been charged twice for call-outs, and have refused to pay both of them, and it has been resolved because if was their fault. You don't know that the CS in Luton in abysmal.

You know what I'm sick of? People who immediately feel the need to jump on someone for saying something, when they do not know all the facts.
Oh, that and people who use the excuse "I'm drunk, so my posts are crap". If you post badly when drunk, either don't drink, or dont go on the internet when drunk. Now go get another beer you lush :dozey:

Out of curiosity - if you have had so much trouble, why are you still with NTL ?

Paul
28-03-2004, 23:06
<snip>

And yes i am drunk at the moment, so if the post doesn't make sense sorry. but pm me the details and i will have a look at work tomorrow.

I think maybe in future you should think twice before posting while under the influence of drink.

While I have defended NTL support people against unwarrented attacks more than once in these forums - I don't think that you did yourself, or them, a great deal of good with that drunken rant - It certainly does not look very professional.

Death Jester
28-03-2004, 23:10
Out of curiosity - if you have had so much trouble, why are you still with NTL ?I am currently in the process of moving from ntl to BT, with Pipex or F2S ADSL
line.
And I don't pay the bills, I just get the crap service. Its my mum who pays for it. Pity she is taking her time over changing (I cannot think why though. By switching, she will be saving about £20 a month. Please see this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=10094) thread for the full details - shameless plug :pp )

And I'm sure that the CS is reasonably good in other areas, its just the Luton 'umbrella' that seems to have scraped the bottom of the barrel.

bluescorpio
29-03-2004, 22:46
I too was fed up with poor service and have since changed over to Pipex and in the two months I've had it there have been no problems at all, fast browsing and no dropped connections which can't be said for NTL.....trying to browse the internet on NTL during the evening is virtually impossible

Neil
30-03-2004, 09:06
I too was fed up with poor service and have since changed over to Pipex and in the two months I've had it there have been no problems at all, fast browsing and no dropped connections which can't be said for NTL.....trying to browse the internet on NTL during the evening is virtually impossible

Ditto for me since November 2003. :tu:

Rik
30-03-2004, 09:27
I live in Sunny Hemel Hempstead as well :)
I use watford proxies and it works wonders for my browsing :)
Overall Im extremely happy with the service I recieve, cant comment on NTLs email servers as I have my own email with my domain :)

Mind you the Newsgroup trial didnt seem to be very successful.....perhaps thats why I use Giganews :)

Simcut
03-04-2004, 11:01
hey guys, I am in Cuffley, Hertfordshrie and am connected to the local Cheshunt server, and its a bloody joke.

in doing a online speed test at adslguide.org.uk it gave me the following results just now:

Downstream974 Kbps (121.8 KB/sec)1051 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream4 Kbps (0.5 KB/sec)4 Kbps (inc. overheads)

now the Downstream is okay, websites do tend to take a couple of minutes at times to load up but as for Upstream, my upstream should be 220-240 Kbps, NOT 4!!!! what the hell are NTL playing at? I've phoned them 7 times now and got absolutely nowhere with my upstream, I am about to phone them for the 8th and then I am phoning billing to get my last bill halved or refunded, I've had enough of NTL and their poor service :-/

rogercruse
03-04-2004, 11:52
Hi,
I live in Borehamwood, response times are fine. There does seem to be some recent problems with emails, but nothing serious.

Roger...

Roland Lewis
04-04-2004, 18:44
Ickleford (near Hitchin), connected to Luton UBR; browsing speed has been poor generally over the past week, with many websites timing-out.

Haven't tried an alternative proxy, but it's not a permanent solution anyway.

Paul
04-04-2004, 18:55
Ickleford (near Hitchin), connected to Luton UBR; browsing speed has been poor generally over the past week, with many websites timing-out.

Haven't tried an alternative proxy, but it's not a permanent solution anyway.

The Luton proxies are known poor performers - sadly NTL don't seem to be doing anything about them.

Death Jester
04-04-2004, 23:30
The Luton proxies are known poor performers - sadly NTL don't seem to be doing anything about them.
'Course they aren't, that would mean spending money, and helping their customers :(

By the way, it took me 18 tries to load this page!
Its getting aweful. I am supposed to be getting BT phone line set up tuesday (for my ADSL), but I got a letter Saturday telling me my JobSeeker allowance is stopping, which means no income!

So not only am I stressed out beyond belife, but I cannot even go to websites or play online games to take my mind off it!

rdhw
05-04-2004, 10:10
I cannot even go to websites or play online games to take my mind off it!The playing of online games is unaffected by web proxy servers, so if you are having problems playing online games you need to examine possibilities other than web proxy problems.

Chris
05-04-2004, 10:45
'Course they aren't, that would mean spending money, and helping their customers :(

By the way, it took me 18 tries to load this page!
Its getting aweful. I am supposed to be getting BT phone line set up tuesday (for my ADSL), but I got a letter Saturday telling me my JobSeeker allowance is stopping, which means no income!

So not only am I stressed out beyond belife, but I cannot even go to websites or play online games to take my mind off it!
Are they stopping your Jobseeker allowance 'cos they found out you're spending your days trying to load web pages instead of seeking a job? ;) :D

(sorry, poor joke, I'll get me coat) :Sprint:

Death Jester
05-04-2004, 16:15
Are they stopping your Jobseeker allowance 'cos they found out you're spending your days trying to load web pages instead of seeking a job? ;) :D

(sorry, poor joke, I'll get me coat) :Sprint:

No, they were stopping my money because thought that having a nervous breakdown was not a good excuse for missing a 2 week course.
Anyway, I found out today that its not permanent, I am just losing 2 weeks pay. Its £80 I could do with keeping, but at least its not permanent.

The playing of online games is unaffected by web proxy servers, so if you are having problems playing online games you need to examine possibilities other than web proxy problems.
I never said anything about a proxy, did I?
But I changed my proxy last night, and today websites are loading much better - not as fast as they should be, but better.
Plus, I do not think my pings are that bad on games, but my packetloss is sky high!

G.B.H.
05-04-2004, 18:54
Finally got this page to load (after a bath....shave etc etc)....you get the picture. This Luton proxy issue is becoming a real joke as it's been crap since last summer and the morons at ntl just don't care.....oohhh they are so quick to get in contact with you if they think you OWE THEM something.....try getting hold of them when you have an issue......nah....they all crawl back under their stones...snakes.

Just FIX THE DAMN ISSUE...and stop oversubscribing you damn greedy sob's.Try this proxy.....try that proxy.....why should i? the leaflets that dropped on my doormat offering this service promised an always on FAST connection.

Oh my God......i can't wait to be free from this fast as treacle service from these jobsworth's..

paulyoung666
05-04-2004, 19:03
Finally got this page to load (after a bath....shave etc etc)....you get the picture. This Luton proxy issue is becoming a real joke as it's been crap since last summer and the morons at ntl just don't care.....oohhh they are so quick to get in contact with you if they think you OWE THEM something.....try getting hold of them when you have an issue......nah....they all crawl back under their stones...snakes.

Just FIX THE DAMN ISSUE...and stop oversubscribing you damn greedy sob's.Try this proxy.....try that proxy.....why should i? the leaflets that dropped on my doormat offering this service promised an always on FAST connection.

Oh my God......i can't wait to be free from this fast as treacle service from these jobsworth's..

is that rant over then :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

G.B.H.
05-04-2004, 19:35
is that rant over then :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
You never saw the un-edited version!!

ntl....'kin ******s.

bennyboyamo
05-04-2004, 21:45
Has there been any responce from NTL?
I am getting very pis*ed off with it, browsing from my PC is soooo slow!
And as for repeatedly getting disconnect from XBOX Live is the final straw!
I live in Hemel Hempstead btw
Ben:rant:

Chris
05-04-2004, 22:48
Has there been any responce from NTL?
I am getting very pis*ed off with it, browsing from my PC is soooo slow!
And as for repeatedly getting disconnect from XBOX Live is the final straw!
I live in Hemel Hempstead btw
Ben:rant:

I am in Hemel and I'm not having any issues with disconnection or browsing speed. You may have to look a little closer to home for your solution. Have you contacted CS? The signal levels on your line might need adjusting or your SACM might be borked. I have had to contact CS for faulty broadband twice since I subscribed to the service, and, in that order, those were the problems. Neither of them are something NTL would know about unless you ask them to investigate.

eoin.miskell
05-04-2004, 23:24
I am in Hemel and I'm not having any issues with disconnection or browsing speed. You may have to look a little closer to home for your solution. Have you contacted CS? The signal levels on your line might need adjusting or your SACM might be borked. I have had to contact CS for faulty broadband twice since I subscribed to the service, and, in that order, those were the problems. Neither of them are something NTL would know about unless you ask them to investigate.

They know what causes the problem it is the Luton proxies which Hemel uses.

G.B.H.
06-04-2004, 00:00
Now nearly everyone has gone to bed,the service has improved (just) to what it was at peak evening time......

So i need to be nocturnal and unemployed to get the best from my service?

Great job ntlosers!

Goodnight.

bennyboyamo
06-04-2004, 07:50
Well, I've upgraded the firmware on my router, browsing seems OK, i'll try live later
Ben

Chris
06-04-2004, 10:04
They know what causes the problem it is the Luton proxies which Hemel uses.
Very true, and I have long since changed my proxies. However bennyboyammo is getting disconnects with his Xbox, and the proxies do not intervene in that service.

Neil
06-04-2004, 10:11
Very true, and I have long since changed my proxies. However bennyboyammo is getting disconnects with his Xbox, and the proxies do not intervene in that service.

But if the upstream is congested & overcrowded (which we pretty much know it is in that area), then he will get lag, & ultimately disconnects on XBOX Live.

bennyboyamo
06-04-2004, 13:25
But if the upstream is congested & overcrowded (which we pretty much know it is in that area), then he will get lag, & ultimately disconnects on XBOX Live. :( I was looking forward to a bit of Gotham 2 tonight, oh well, anyone know of any other providers in the Herts area?
(ps, I don't have a BT line)

Ben

Neil
06-04-2004, 13:30
:( I was looking forward to a bit of Gotham 2 tonight, oh well, anyone know of any other providers in the Herts area, other than BT?

Ben

Ben-you need to understand a bit more how ADSL works.

Once you have your BT phone line for DSL, you then have the world of choice when it comes to ISPs, & you are not limited to location-it doesn't matter where you DSL ISP is located (within reason obviously!)

Follow the link in my sig, & also take a look at www.adslguide.org.uk for more info.

HTH.

[Edit]=Have a look here as well: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=37

bennyboyamo
06-04-2004, 13:33
Ben-you need to understand a bit more how ADSL works.

Once you have your BT phone line for DSL, you then have the world of choice when it comes to ISPs, & you are not limited to location-it doesn't matter where you DSL ISP is located (within reason obviously!)

Follow the link in my sig, & also take a look at www.adslguide.org.uk (http://www.adslguide.org.uk) for more info.

HTH.

[Edit]=Have a look here as well: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=37
Sorry, I was editing my post as you replied, it's not that I don't want BT, it's the fact that I don't have a BT line

Ben

G.B.H.
08-04-2004, 12:56
Did somebody flick a switch somewhere or something?.My browsing has improved 1000% since yesterday morning!!!.....and it's still very good this morning.

Just wondered.

slysy
08-04-2004, 13:19
I am also getting disconnects from xbox live (well I was last night). Living around the Stevenage area

Neil
08-04-2004, 13:22
Sorry, I was editing my post as you replied, it's not that I don't want BT, it's the fact that I don't have a BT line

Ben

But you can get one very easily.

Has you house ever had a BT line?-if so, BT will reconnect you for free. :)

G.B.H.
09-04-2004, 10:15
Does anyone from ntl actually read these posts? because if they do i got a message for them:

"Sort out the oversubscribing in hertfordshire plz"

Thanks,bye