PDA

View Full Version : Yet another IE vuln

Richard M
23-03-2004, 13:43
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/36462.html

If you are still using this browser, you must be crazy - which other software will allow a HTML page to cause so much damage?

Chris
23-03-2004, 14:00
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/36462.html

If you are still using this browser, you must be crazy - which other software will allow a HTML page to cause so much damage?
:shocked:

GreyMagic warns that other web-based email systems may also be vulnerable. Users of these services may want to use a browser other than IE as a workaround, at least until a fix is in place. ®
:rofl:

At least until ... how about permanently? Why would any computer-savvy person choose to remain with more-holes-than-a-swiss-cheese IE? I mean, I can understand joe average who buys his machine in PC World and doesn't care how it works so long as it works just sticking with it, but the rest of us? Come on.

philip.j.fry
23-03-2004, 14:07
At least until ... how about permanently? Why would any computer-savvy person choose to remain with more-holes-than-a-swiss-cheese IE? I mean, I can understand joe average who buys his machine in PC World and doesn't care how it works so long as it works just sticking with it, but the rest of us? Come on.

:D They must just like to live dangerously. Has anyone else seen that Simpsons episodes where Mr Burns goes to the doctor, and they tell hime he is invulnerable because he has so many diseases that they are constantly fighting against one another so don't harm him? Perhaps that's what MS are aiming for with IE :)

TigaSefi
23-03-2004, 14:11
pah, mindless scare tactics. These offensives against MS are so old news. Every Vulnerability is hyped up to be danger of apolcalypsic proportions... I tell thee, I laugh in the face of such danger. :D :pp

Richard M
23-03-2004, 14:19
You wouldn't be laughing if someone nicked your passwords, then emailed everyone you know with links to pr0n sites. (yes, I know someone who that happened to)

TigaSefi
23-03-2004, 15:26
No browser is 100% secure so we all run the gauntlet, even mozilla/firebird get a nightly build.

Chris
23-03-2004, 15:40
No browser is 100% secure so we all run the gauntlet, even mozilla/firebird get a nightly build.
The original concept of the internet itself was a decentralised system that was hard to knock out with a single blow. If everyone uses the same software, then a critical flaw in that software causes huge problems. This is something virus writers are very good at exploiting, and frakly M$'s monopolistic business tactics are helping them.

Bifta
23-03-2004, 15:42
When you have quite literally the worlds most popular browser, where do you think people are going to focus? Rest assured there are no doubt just as many undiscovered vulnerabilities in every other browser.

ian@huth
23-03-2004, 15:53
:notopic: but why does this page look the same as it used to do and not like the new CF pages?

TigaSefi
23-03-2004, 16:08
I prefer it to look like the old pages than the new pages which frankly do not sit right at all but that just me.

Chris
23-03-2004, 16:40
When you have quite literally the worlds most popular browser, where do you think people are going to focus? Rest assured there are no doubt just as many undiscovered vulnerabilities in every other browser.
Why is it that whenever a piece of M$ software gets caught with its pants down, about the only thing that can be said in ts defence is effectively that 'everything else must be equally cr@p, it's just no-one's scrutinizing it.' (sorry Bifta, I know this is an extreme parody of what you posted, but you get the point).

It's just not good enough that the best thing you can claim about a product is that it's just as bad as its competitors. It's also not necessarily true. IE could well be far worse than its competition.

But in any case, this misses the point I was making, which is that having any single browser - or OS for that matter - running on a vast majority of machines compromises the intranet's key strength, which is its decentralised nature. If all the products out there (browsers, mail clients, OSes, etc) had a roughly equal share of the desktops, then no single virus could ever cause the level of havoc we see often today.