PDA

View Full Version : FTP Login Help.

Ryder
23-03-2004, 12:02
Just posting to see if any of you people have any idea of what is going wrong with my NTL webspace and more specifically the rejection of the FTP login details.
No matter what FTP client I use to upload a test file (index.html) to my webspace, when I use the following information:
Upload server: upload.ntlworld.com
Account: my account
Password: my password

It gets to authorisation of the account and when it asks for the password I enter the password that I know works (I use it to access my NTL email daily) and it spits it back in my face saying that the login is incorrect :mad:

I have tried this process using different FTP clients and on different computers but I still cannot access my webspace using the details that I am currently putting in. I have quickly come to the conclusion that either the username or password must be incorrect. But I am confused because this is the username and password that I have used ever since I have had my broadband account with NTL.

Do anyone have any idea why it is doing this?

altis
23-03-2004, 12:09
Welcome Ryder :)

Try clicking on the link belowand then enter your username and password in the appropriate boxes and tell us what happens:

ftp://upload.ntlworld.com/

abailey152
23-03-2004, 12:11
If you've changed your password, try your original one (a letter followed by nine numbers). If this fails to log you in, then you might need to contact customer services.

Jon M
23-03-2004, 12:26
ftp logins are case sensitive on both username and password.. are you typing it in correctly?

Chris W
23-03-2004, 13:24
Ryder if you pm me the username of your webspace i will check it at work for you to make sure it is fully functional.

Ryder
23-03-2004, 18:34
Ok in reply to
altis: When I entered the username and password it 'thought' for a moment then the login box reappeared asking me to enter the correct username or password.

abailey152: Just trying your suggestion after I have written this messege. EDIT - Your a legend - it works now :shocked: :)

Thanks for all help given by all.
Ryder.

altis
23-03-2004, 18:50
Glad we could be of help.

And give yourself a pat on the back for posting a conclusion. It's good to hear that a problem has been solved. All too often it's left just hanging....

abailey152
23-03-2004, 19:40
Ok in reply to
altis: When I entered the username and password it 'thought' for a moment then the login box reappeared asking me to enter the correct username or password.

abailey152: Just trying your suggestion after I have written this messege. EDIT - Your a legend - it works now :shocked: :)

Thanks for all help given by all.
Ryder.
No problem m8! Glad I could help.

Ryder
23-03-2004, 20:41
Also I would like to ask another little question quite off-topic of FTP login details.

Is there a place (webpage) where I can see what files are supported by NTL for uploading and what are not? Also since I am new to all this I would like to know whether I could upload a MySQL database to the webspace for testing with PHP?
Or is this not possible for some reason?
PHP and MySQL are very new to me.

Ryder.

abailey152
23-03-2004, 21:07
NTL do not support server-side extensions.......CGI scripts, SQL or anything like that is definitely out. If you want to use any of these with your NTL webspace, you will need a third party to host them.

Ryder
23-03-2004, 21:46
OK thanks for that. Saved much time.

Is it possible to use my PC as a webhost for testing purposes? In theory if my PC is able to become a webhost (IP) then I should be able to run MySQL from my PC and just create a database. But will I then need some webspace to store this database on or will it be stored on my PC?

Ryder.

homealone
23-03-2004, 22:45
OK thanks for that. Saved much time.

Is it possible to use my PC as a webhost for testing purposes? In theory if my PC is able to become a webhost (IP) then I should be able to run MySQL from my PC and just create a database. But will I then need some webspace to store this database on or will it be stored on my PC?

Ryder.

I'll post this as a 'lame' reply, in the hope someone will be so intimidated, they will immediately post back, with a full solution ;)

afaik - you can run a 'virtual' website on your local pc, including a MySQL server, however, NTL webspace will not allow 'external' access to that data?

Stuartbe
23-03-2004, 22:47
I'll post this as a 'lame' reply, in the hope someone will be so intimidated, they will immediately post back, with a full solution ;)

:LOL: