PDA

View Full Version : what graphics?

OStickO
13-07-2003, 10:42
im planning to upgrade my graphics card, just so i might be able to run HL2 when it comes out! my gf2ti is getting a little out dated!
problem is, what to i go for? my budget is around the £130 max mark.
looking on dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/) i found a gf4ti4200 64mb for £89 bucks.
or i could get a gf5 fx5200 128mb for £117. the obviouse choice is the gf5, but im not to sure, or if anyone could find a better gf4 for the money!
thanks.

darkangel
13-07-2003, 10:46
i would go for the fx5 or a Radeon 9600 Pro both are directX 9 compatible where as the gf4 is not

handyman
13-07-2003, 10:48
Try here (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3NlYXJjaA==&cat_uid=17) always cheap for kit and a fair selection of cards

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/07/3.jpg

Gainward Geforce4 Powerpack! Ultra/650 Golden Sample/AGP 64MB DDR Ti-4200 Chipset With TV-Out/Dual CRT Or CRT+DVI Output

£70.49 :)

darkangel
13-07-2003, 11:01
ebuyer are a terrible company i would not use them unless u have to, read this site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/perfect.lady/complaints.html

matty4donna
13-07-2003, 12:12
ebuyer are this terrible:

I use them as my main supplier and have made over 500 orders from them in 15 months and had approx 20 late and this has been caused by the Royal Mail in nearly all cases. They are the cheapest on most products and their shipping is cheap and fast.

I know of many people who also reguarly (not just a one off like most people im talking about fellow engineers) by from ebuyer and dont seem to hate them

So before you go on about them being crap mate use them a few times :rolleyes:

PS. Do not go for the 5200 whatever you do for around slightly more than £130 you will get a 5600Ultra which is far more powerful and is great if you want DX9 specs. However performance to value ratio suggests that the ti4200 from ebuyer is much better however bear in mind it is only DX8.1 spec.

Shorty
13-07-2003, 13:08
It is always a tough choice. Honestly, avoid the 5200 FX card. It may well be DX9 compliant but it's performance is well under that of a Ti4200 GeForce4.

I have benched a 9500pro and a 5200 side by side. Ouch, the 5200 got walked all over.

9600pro or if you can find one, a 9500pro. It's also worth keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand 9700 or 9700pro. I've seen some great 2nd hand prices on truly magnificent GPU's.

Ps.. I agree wholeheartedly with the others, avoid ebuyer like the black plague. Terrible customer service.

Tekheads.co.uk, overclockingstore.co.uk or chillblast.co.uk. Great customer service with good prices :)

Need any more help, post back.

matty4donna
13-07-2003, 13:18
OVER FIVE HUNDRED ORDERS NO PROBLEMS they are not crap at all! Of course these people just go from stories from other people who buy the odd thing! ;)

Shorty
13-07-2003, 13:34
That is based on personal experience and that of friends :)

With all online buying, you have to buy to really find out for yourself.

I buy quite a few components online during the course of the week for the company I work for. Small biz has strange requirements sometimes. So Im hardly an occasional item buyer.

I find ebuyer's "eticket" system poor in comparison to being able to pick up a phone and talk to a voice. That's just my preferred method.

I have had a few problem purchases from ebuyer and it's taken far too long to resolve them. So I choose to go elsewhere, maybe pay a little more. But in my experience (which is not to say other's experiences are the same), I have found ebuyer more trouble than it's worth. Just for the sake of saving a few £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£Ãƒââ‚ ¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£.

Everyone's is different. That's life ;)

matty4donna
13-07-2003, 13:57
yes i see your point, i agree the e-notes system is crap but phoning and online tracking is good.

Anyway, what card are going to go for OStickO? I saw a Radeon 9700 non-pro card the other day (ye can overclock to a pro if you really need to lol) for £129 but i can't for the life of me remeber where :(

Shorty
13-07-2003, 13:59
Originally posted by matty4donna

Anyway, what card are going to go for OStickO? I saw a Radeon 9700 non-pro card the other day (ye can overclok to a pro if you really need to lol) for £129 but i can't for the life of me remeber where :(

I saw that as well, but again I can't remember where. There are some 9500's floating around which are only touching a £100. L shaped memory models OC like a mofo ;)

OStickO
14-07-2003, 16:41
well i aint to sure, going to re-read ur posts, didnt quite take it all in fully.
but tbh ebuyer arnt ****e at all ive used them for a while and my orders came on date and were cheaper than most places! so stfu about complaints, everywhere will have complaints, you just gotta exepct human error can be a big problem...