PDA

View Full Version : STB on way out??

Tightscot
22-03-2004, 21:17
Hi All,
it's been a while since i posted here, maybe thats a good thing though!? :o

The following is my set up:
I have been on the the NTL 600k BBand service for approx 1 year. I use Ethernet on my XP pro pc, and connect via the STB. I'm pretty sure it is a 4000 model. When i enter the menu thingy (pg up/pg down /blue) it says hardware type = Di4000-n)

The following is my problem:
Over the last 2 weeks i have been totally losing my Internet connection. i can't ping anything on the 'outside world'. The TV works fine but the middle light on the STB begins flashing, and the STB loses it's IP address. To start with, rebooting the STB made the light come on solid, and my internet then started working again. HOWEVER, it started taking longer for the light to come on solid and last thursday it refused to come on solid even after lots of rebooting (and swearing!)
I then phoned NTL who said it may be a 'stale' signal so they resent 'something' and i had to re-register my pc etc. This all worked fine until tonight when at 20.30 the blooming light started flashing AGAIN! I wasn't even on the pc, but sure enough when i booted it and checked, i had no internet.

Has anyone got any ideas? could my STB be dying? Is a return power value of 47dbMV normal? The STB event log says 'broadcast ranging fail 170' when this happens. It also seems to happen only in the evenings!

Any ideas/suggestions please before i phone NTL and ask for a new STB..... :(

thanks in advance and sorry for the rambling post.... :)

David25
23-03-2004, 07:59
If the light is flashing, you should speak to TS again. It looks like an issue somewhere at NTLs end.

Tightscot
24-03-2004, 20:43
Just to update this;

My stb has been doing the 'flashing light' thing (explained in my first post) for the last 4 nights..... always seems to be between 8 and 9pm! Each time i phone up NTL to report it but by the time i get through all the options the light comes on solid. Typical. :rolleyes:
The last bloke i spoke to said he could do nothing as the box was currently working ok. Does anyone here know what the signal levels on the box should be?
Any other ideas or should i just phone NTL now and demand a new STB? :mad:

Please help! :o

BBKing
24-03-2004, 22:02
Let me know the MAC or IP of the box - I have one or two tools that the CSR people don't have yet and can see what they pick up.

Stuartbe
24-03-2004, 22:33
I can vouch for bbking !! He is a top man David 25... If anyone can sort it he can :)

Tightscot
25-03-2004, 08:30
ok BBKing, i've sent you the IP address, let me know if you find any thing!!

cheers

Tightscot :)