PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem is too quick!!!

Tricky
22-03-2004, 20:23
I am on 600K NTL, currently I'm downloading some linux distros from a newsserver and my du-meter is showing an average of 92 to 94 kb/sec and has been doing so for the last 20 minutes by my reckoning this equates to 760K

Have NTL done something to the network??? Not that I'm complaining...

Stuartbe
22-03-2004, 20:26
Woa... I thought this was a wind up thread...... Dont say anything m8 :D

They may turn down the speed on you !

kronas
22-03-2004, 20:29
i wish my 1meg was teaked to 150-160kb/s :D :D :D

as stuart says keep stum about it :D

Pyromanic
22-03-2004, 23:17
Couldnt this be down to compression or something. The old modem standard was capable for 4x compression I remember which meant in theory dl speeds of about 24kbps

td444
23-03-2004, 00:11
Couldnt this be down to compression or something. The old modem standard was capable for 4x compression I remember which meant in theory dl speeds of about 24kbps
Compression on a broadband line? I wished - save me eternity downloading headers from newsgroups time to time :P

punky
23-03-2004, 00:54
I am on 600K NTL, currently I'm downloading some linux distros from a newsserver and my du-meter is showing an average of 92 to 94 kb/sec and has been doing so for the last 20 minutes by my reckoning this equates to 760K

Have NTL done something to the network??? Not that I'm complaining...

Are you on a home LAN? Apparently DUMeter includes LAN traffic in its reporting.

Chris W
23-03-2004, 11:32
Are you on a home LAN? Apparently DUMeter includes LAN traffic in its reporting.

It does indeed... i have also found that it is not the most accurate of monitors either, when i have a dialogue box telling me i am downloading at 118kbps, dumeter is telling me it is 90kbps, and sometimes vice versa too... don't know which to believe!!

Jon M
23-03-2004, 11:41
don't forget that burst transfer can cause this sort of thing too.. also, when you use download managers that split a file into 4 seperate streams.. that can cause strange readings too

Tricky
23-03-2004, 16:59

Yes but no other PC's are on for a change
Using NewsBin Pro as always
Speed remained fairly constant at 93Kb/sec for about 4 hours
Not tried it today!

jem16
23-03-2004, 17:33
Please excuse the hijack of this thread but how do I post a new thread?

I'm logged in but I can't see the "New thread" button - either I'm blind or it's missing.

Can anyone help please?

punky
23-03-2004, 17:55
Please excuse the hijack of this thread but how do I post a new thread?

I'm logged in but I can't see the "New thread" button - either I'm blind or it's missing.

Can anyone help please?

Must be blind mate. If you go into the forum category (Broadband support & discussion), it is wedged right between the menu at the top (User UP, FAQ, etc), and just above the bit where it says: "Threads in forum" and lists the threads.

i have also found that it is not the most accurate of monitors either, when i have a dialogue box telling me i am downloading at 118kbps, dumeter is telling me it is 90kbps, and sometimes vice versa too... don't know which to believe!!
Meh, it seems to be accurate enough for me. Sometimes it says it is downloading at 126k/s, where mIRC says my download is going at say, 115k/s. I just put it down to mIRC averaging out the speed, as DUMeter reports the actual speed quicker. (If you disconnect during a download on mIRC, it will gradually slow to 0, rather than just go straight to it). I find it not too shabby. It's small, simple and clear. I treat 900m as the cap though because I don't about overheads and such, so I try and play safe.

That program someone posted about the other day, http://www.trafficstatistic.com/ looks awsome though, for detailed stats.

jem16
23-03-2004, 18:23
Must be blind mate. If you go into the forum category (Broadband support & discussion), it is wedged right between the menu at the top (User UP, FAQ, etc), and just above the bit where it says: "Threads in forum" and lists the threads.

Yes that's exactly where I thought it should be, exactly in the same space as the "post reply" button is.

However it isn't there, no blank box - absolutely nothing.

DrAwesome
23-03-2004, 18:27
Yes that's exactly where I thought it should be, exactly in the same space as the "post reply" button is.

You have to go outside this thread into the main forum

However it isn't there, no blank box - absolutely nothing.

Not until you click on the button.

jem16
23-03-2004, 18:30
Not until you click on the button.

The button is not there to click on i.e. there is no "New thread" button.

DrAwesome
23-03-2004, 18:33
The button is not there to click on i.e. there is no "New thread" button.

so you see nothing here? (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12) are you using internet explorer or something else?

jem16
23-03-2004, 18:38
so you see nothing here? (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12) are you using internet explorer or something else?

Clicking on your link brings everything into view. All the navigation icons are there now. I'm using IE 6 and this is the only site I've noticed a problem with.

jem16
23-03-2004, 18:42
Solved the problem. I must have an old link in my favourites menu. Although it took me to the forum, it was missing all the navigation icons.

I now have the correct link with all the correct icons as your link showed.

Thank you very much. :)