PDA

View Full Version : Ready light flashing, and lots of ip losses!

Ash-Smith
22-03-2004, 15:34
Please help my friend as I'm stuck:

Hi there. I'm writing on behalf of my friend who is a new customer to NTL.

I popped round there to give him my old server and set up a mini network with connection sharing. But that's not where the problem lies...

The conncetion had previously setup using a MAC, no real problems there. We then found that after plugging the new server in, which was going to be used as the connection sharer / gatway, we found that the IP address of the adapter plugged into the Cable modem kept dropping!

We kept having to unplug the modem's power and plug it back in. When that stopped solving it, we noticed that the Ready light kept flashing! It never went solid! The D/S light kept flashing, but the U/S light never flashed. We also couldn't get an IP address from the adapter!

So, what could it be? It looks like a problem between NTL / the cable modem, as opposed to the Cable Modem / our network correct? (As the ready light should go solid regardless of if any computers are plugged into it).

I can't comment on if the Digital TV still worked or not. I forgot to check that at the time.

Can anyone offer any help please? Thank you very much!

Stuartbe
22-03-2004, 15:39
Its a signal or cable problem m8. It wont have anything to do with your setup. The rdy and snc lights should be steady after the modem has booted.

Check the coax cable to the cable modem and the connection at the wall point.

HTH