PDA

View Full Version : Odd that it happened in a Pub !!!!!

yesman
12-07-2003, 23:56
George Best has been arrested after an incident at a pub in Surrey.

Police sources say the former Manchester United star, 57, was detained along with a 31-year-old man at the Chequers Hotel in Walton on the Hill, Tadworth at around 5.30pm.

Surrey police said both men were arrested on suspicion of assault causing actual bodily harm.

They were taken to Reigate police station, but were later released without charge.

A police spokesman said: "No further action is envisaged by Surrey police."

Police refused to give any further details of the incident, or to identify the alleged victim.

A spokesman for Surrey police said: "Two men were arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm at the Chequers Hotel at Walton on the Hill at Tadworth at around 5.30pm.

"The first male is 57-years-old from Reigate, and the second man was 31-years-old from Epsom. Both men have been released from Reigate police station without charge."

Martin
13-07-2003, 00:05
A bit of fistycuffs is he drinking again??

darkangel
13-07-2003, 00:34
yep he's drinking again http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3061827.stm

matty4donna
13-07-2003, 00:53
He's a sad man who is just trying to kill himself he needs to learn a lesson (after his last scare it should have been enough) he is an utter disgrace to football and the Irish! :mad:

kronas
13-07-2003, 00:54
i dont care that hes a legend he needs to be taught that wasting a liver is categorically a disgrace there are many others out there in need i have no sympathy for people like this........

Xaccers
13-07-2003, 01:09
Too right Kronas!
Most people who have transplants realise how lucky they are and take care of themselves, especially as transplants don't last all that long.
For him to take up drinking again is so appauling I can't find words for it!

matty4donna
13-07-2003, 01:12
Originally posted by Xaccers
I can't find words for it! I can but i would not post them here ;)

Martin
13-07-2003, 01:26
Well he has gone down in my estimation.:( How sad he is given a chance and he chooses to go back to his old ways. Very sad.:(

Jules
13-07-2003, 10:44
How dare he do this??? Out there is a family greaving for a loved one, they donated a liver and saved his life and he does this!

Too sickening for words :(

Theodoric
13-07-2003, 13:48
Originally posted by yesman
George Best has been arrested after an incident at a pub in Surrey.

<Snip>
Police refused to give any further details of the incident, or to identify the alleged victim.
<Snip>
Call me cynical if you like, but who'll give me odds that his name (and story) won't appear in the tabloids.

Nidge
13-07-2003, 17:06
It's a waist of a donor liver, it should have been given to a person who was in greater need and was not a alcoholic, I have no sympathy with George Best he bought that liver when he had the transplant £60,000 worth. How would the family be feeling if they knew it went to George Best and he was killing himself with beer.

Ramrod
13-07-2003, 17:43
Originally posted by Martin
Well he has gone down in my estimation
You mean he could drop any further:eek: ?

Mark W
13-07-2003, 17:57
hmmm....*dons flame retardent suit and devils advocate hat*

well, here was me thinking alcoholism was an illness and so needs some sympathy rather than contempt?

oh, and one more thing, yes he was arrested in a bar in a s****y hotel for a scuffle.

i must of missed the bit where he was caught downing booze....

and who was he having a fight with? a press photographer, so a) if he HAD been drinking, we'd sure as hell know about it and b) do you really blame him for having a fight?

if i was fighting alcoholism, and it IS a daily fight belive you me, id not be too impressed being hounded by people every day hopeing id drop off the wagon......

how about you give the guy a break instead of ****ging him down without any proof hes back on the drink?

:rolleyes:

Ramrod
13-07-2003, 18:11
Originally posted by Mark W

well, here was me thinking alcoholism was an illness and so needs some sympathy rather than contempt?

oh, and one more thing, yes he was arrested in a bar in a s****y hotel for a scuffle.

and who was he having a fight with? a press photographer, so a) if he HAD been drinking, we'd sure as hell know about it and b) do you really blame him for having a fight?

if i was fighting alcoholism, and it IS a daily fight belive you me, id not be too impressed being hounded by people every day hopeing id drop off the wagon......

how about you give the guy a break instead of ****ging him down without any proof hes back on the drink?

:rolleyes: According to the reports that I read, he has started drinking a lot again.

BubbleGum
13-07-2003, 18:20
Originally posted by Ramrod
According to the reports that I read, he has started drinking a lot again.
Its been on the news that he's drinking again. So what :confused:

He was a good footballer but he led a certain lifestyle - drugs/women and booze. Take football out of the equation and you've got another bum who's back on the pop. Big deal.

Ramrod
13-07-2003, 19:16
Originally posted by Bluetack
Its been on the news that he's drinking again. So what :confused:

He was a good footballer but he led a certain lifestyle - drugs/women and booze. Take football out of the equation and you've got another bum who's back on the pop. Big deal. The big deal is that this is a bum who is pi**ing away a replacement liver that could be keeping another, more responsible person, alive for a lot longer than Best is going to live if he carries on like this. Not only is he throwing away the 2nd chance he has been given, he is also (imo) insulting the person who donated it and the people on the waiting list for livers who will die before they get one.
.....That is of course if you can believe the papers that he is drinking again.

Chimaera
13-07-2003, 19:28
Well his missus has given a lengthy interview to the Mail on Sunday saying he's been drinking again for a week (if I remember correctly).
I guess she would know what he's been doing with himself!

BubbleGum
14-07-2003, 00:48
Originally posted by Ramrod
The big deal is that this is a bum who is pi**ing away a replacement liver
Money and celebrity status talks ;)

Stuart
14-07-2003, 01:11
Originally posted by Mark W

:rolleyes:

I'm gonna get flamed from both sides for this.

Yes. alcoholism is an illness and it is a daily fight for the sufferer (and their family & friends). So the Alcoholic does deserve sympathy.

However, because George Best got his new liver, somebody else may have to wait for a liver. That somebody else may have taken better care of it. That somebody else also may have needed a liver because they are physically ill (say with cancer or something like that) rather than because they drink.

It can't be very nice for a person (or their friends or family) who needs a new liver through no fault of their own, yet have to wait for one, to hear about some famous person who is busy destroying his new liver..

yesman
14-07-2003, 01:18
Money and celebrity status talks ;)

Yep,

I think its a shame that he has (supposedly) gone back to his old ways, TBH I would have thought that the life saving operation would have opened up his eyes to the dangers of alcohol, but once a alcoholic always an alcoholic, and as mentioned in this thread previously, its a problem that needs to be addressed, no matter who it is.

I just hope that he sees the error of his ways before it is too late, after all he has been given a second chance.

Buying a replacement liver, I find somewhat immoral, after all, we are all in the same boat as far as life is concerned, maybe the education on drinking or whatever life threatening activities we may choose in our every day life, should have rules, whether you have the money to have a transplant or not.

Money should not be the answer to this problem, but EDUCATION should win over IMO.

BubbleGum
14-07-2003, 01:20
Originally posted by scastle
It can't be very nice for a person (or their friends or family) who needs a new liver through no fault of their own, yet have to wait for one, to hear about some famous person who is busy destroying his new liver..
Crap (and that isn't AIMED at you) but ALL celebrities use their money or influence to get what they want. I'm surprised that such a famous alcoholic got the treatment he did anyway - forget him having the liver and think on that if you or anyone else see this pathetic creature as a role model (because lets face it we put these people on platforms and worship them), imagine how penniless alcoholics fighting to save their sanity and their families are feeling about what this nobody has done. Tell him to crawl under the same rock that Michael Barrymore is hiding under and the two of them can tell each other how hard done by they are.

Stuart
14-07-2003, 01:27
Crap (and that isn't AIMED at you) but ALL celebrities use their money or influence to get what they want. I'm surprised that such a famous alcoholic got the treatment he did anyway - forget him having the liver and think on that if you or anyone else see this pathetic creature as a role model (because lets face it we put these people on platforms and worship them), imagine how penniless alcoholics fighting to save their sanity and their families are feeling about what this nobody has done. Tell him to crawl under the same rock that Michael Barrymore is hiding under and the two of them can tell each other how hard done by they are.

Actually, if you read the text you quoted, you would realise I was actually talking about people who need a new liver through NO fault of their own (through cancer for instance), and how it must affect them when some celebrity with a drink problem starts to damage his new liver by drinking again.

I wasn't actually defending G.B. at all. I did say to give the Alcholic sympathy, but that's no excuse for them to drink..

BubbleGum
14-07-2003, 01:30
Originally posted by scastle
I wasn't actually defending G.B. at all. I did say to give the Alcholic sympathy, but that's no excuse for them to drink..
They should give the **** disulfiram for a week and then let him have his last binge ever - it would even be educational for this binge to be filmed just to show alcoholics everywhere what begins to happen when you drink even half a pint when taking disulfiram (it's not a pretty sight).

yesman
14-07-2003, 01:54
They should give the **** disulfiram for a week and then let him have his last binge ever - it would even be educational for this binge to be filmed just to show alcoholics everywhere what begins to happen when you drink even half a pint when taking disulfiram (it's not a pretty sight).

Maybe that is needed for education in this somewhat sad topic regarding being an alcoholic, however, calling him ****** doesn't make your opinion any stronger.

If George Best had been a carpet fitter or an electrician or whatever, maybe he wouldn't have succombed to what he is now.
And you certainly wouldn't have a view on him.

kronas
14-07-2003, 01:58

If George Best had been a carpet fitter or an electrician or whatever, maybe he wouldn't have succombed to what he is now.

ill say one thing i dont care who it is if they get a transplant and choose to continue to abuse there body by drinking alcohol they should never have had that transplant someone more needy should have had it instead because people like this deserve to die im just typing the truth here.......

Martin
14-07-2003, 09:17
Originally posted by kronas
ill say one thing i dont care who it is if they get a transplant and choose to continue to abuse there body by drinking alcohol they should never have had that transplant someone more needy should have had it instead because people like this deserve to die im just typing the truth here.......

Your absolutley right mate. How predictable though loads of people at the time said he wouldn't change. If you have these life changing operations and just use them to continue there destructive ways I agree.

yesman
14-07-2003, 19:24
Update (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_799838.html)

Lord Nikon
15-07-2003, 08:30

If George best had been a carpet fitter then I feel that the only significant difference would be the amount of press coverage.

Regardless of his past achievements his current claim to fame is only alcohol related. He seems locked on a path of self destruction.

The path was not changed when he received his new liver, it was merely delayed. He will no doubt continue his drinking

I feel it is inevitable he will drink himself to destruction, but this time I would ask that the surgeons NOT extend his life a second time through another new liver.

yesman
30-01-2004, 08:31
Again (http://www.ntlworld.com/partners/itn/britain/1056976.php), he is definitely beyond help

Julian
30-01-2004, 22:36
Again (http://www.ntlworld.com/partners/itn/britain/1056976.php), he is definitely beyond help

George obviously has a real problem.

It is a tragedy that someone once so respected in his field has fallen so far. :(

Can anyone tell me how this sort of story gets to be released into the public domain?

I mean, it must have come from a policeman, are they allowed to do that?

I know it wouldn't make much difference in the long run if he is found guilty, but I'm just very uncomfortable with the police telling the news people when they have arrested someone.

kronas
30-01-2004, 22:45
i have absoloutely no sympathy or remorse, i know he is a legend, but this is getting ridiculous, what happens when one of his other organs fail are we going to give him another transplant so he can damage himself more ?

Shaun
30-01-2004, 22:51
i dont care that hes a legend he needs to be taught that wasting a liver is categorically a disgrace there are many others out there in need i have no sympathy for people like this........

Times 2!!!!

Julian
30-01-2004, 23:13
My reference to it being a tragedy can be seen in the same light as my feelings towards the deaths of Freddie Mercury, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Phil Lynott and many others.

The main point of my post was to establish the legality of the release of information surrounding his arrest. :)