PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroups Trial Resumes

Pointman
07-01-2004, 15:53
Happy New Year, and a big "Thanks" to all of those who have registered as a result of our recent request for potential triallists, the response has been great.

We cannot offer everyone a place on every trial, so we thought it would be worth explaining how we go from here

Sometimes trials are geographically specific which means that we can only invite people to trial in a particular region. Sometimes we have to use completely new Customers (and generally Forum Members aren't completely new Customers). Sometimes we need experienced users (where Forum members may be ideal)

We also need to trial with specific types of service, e.g. Dial Up, or News, and sometimes specific types of Users (for example when we ran the XBOX and PS2 Beta trials).

So please do not feel disappointed if you are not invited on to a specific trial, there will be others which we will continue to announce them, and please be assured that you do remain on our list of willing participants..

etccarmageddon
08-01-2004, 12:32
cheers pointman.

bumpy
15-01-2004, 12:55
Hello All,

This is for anyone involved in the ntl Newsgroups Trial. If you have not received an email from Trials@ntl.com by the end of today with the details, please mail the same address and advise.

thanks

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

jimboozer
15-01-2004, 13:26
Seems excellent speedwise so far - nice n' steady!
Then again we will have to wait until peak time to really find out.

Can I be the first to request alt.binaries.dvd/r? :naughty:

What are the retention and completion statistics?

Thx NTL your back on my xmas card list.

havana
15-01-2004, 15:55
Seems excellent speedwise so far - nice n' steady!
Then again we will have to wait until peak time to really find out.

What are the retention and completion statistics?

Thx NTL your back on my xmas card list.
As you say so far so good but dvd/r why not go the whole hog dvd,dvdr & dvd.repost :naughty: :naughty:

DrAwesome
15-01-2004, 15:59
As you say so far so good but dvd/r why not go the whole hog dvd,dvdr & dvd.repost :naughty: :naughty:

Its a different NTL department that deals with adding groups to the ntl newsgroups.

here is the email adress

newsgroup.requests@ntlworld.com

bigsinky
15-01-2004, 17:05
Its a different NTL department that deals with adding groups to the ntl newsgroups.

here is the email adress

newsgroup.requests@ntlworld.com

do you think they would ressurect alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.admiralkrag. I never actually managed to get all my fills :D

cheers

big sinky

Ouch
15-01-2004, 18:09
Speed fine but binary completion is very poor on a.b.comp

I will inform them of this

Cheers

Andy

DrAwesome
15-01-2004, 18:16
do you think they would ressurect alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.admiralkrag. I never actually managed to get all my fills :D

cheers

big sinky

Read Post #39 (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3658&page=3&pp=15&highlight=utilised)

blenky
15-01-2004, 19:19
Just had a quick look. First impressions favourable. Retention seems must better and speed is fine.

However haven't yet checked to see if all the groups I usually use are there.

Does anyone know where this is going? Are ntl going to offer a subscrription service or just improve the free one?

Although I'm in the trail I can't remember reading anything about the actual goals of the trials!

Thanks

bumpy
15-01-2004, 22:13
Just had a quick look. First impressions favourable. Retention seems must better and speed is fine.

However haven't yet checked to see if all the groups I usually use are there.

Does anyone know where this is going? Are ntl going to offer a subscrription service or just improve the free one?

Although I'm in the trail I can't remember reading anything about the actual goals of the trials!

Thanks

To answer Belnky's question, this is purely an exercise in making improvements to existing services. If this trial is sucessful we will look to a full launch shortly after with no additional charges.

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

homealone
15-01-2004, 23:22
To answer Belnky's question, this is purely an exercise in making improvements to existing services. If this trial is sucessful we will look to a full launch shortly after with no additional charges.

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

thankyou for updating your records, recently, so the email announcing the start of the trial did arrive correctly, for me. :tu:

I won't comment in the forum, other than, to say I have all headers downloaded successfully. :)

Pointman
16-01-2004, 00:34
thankyou for updating your records, recently, so the email announcing the start of the trial did arrive correctly, for me. :tu:

I won't comment in the forum, other than, to say I have all headers downloaded successfully. :)

Glad to hear it.

blenky
16-01-2004, 01:29

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

Thanks for that. If the trial reflects what the service be like when it rolls out - that it retains its current speed and retention period I think everyone will be well pleased. :)

Ouch
16-01-2004, 01:47
Speed = great

Retention = satisfactory

Binary Completion = terrible

no point in having good speed and retention if the files aren't complete :(

Edit: I have tried about 10 groups now downloading the most recent 30000 headers from each. 95% of the files aren't complete :(

lincsat
16-01-2004, 01:57
I have not received notification of the resumption of the trial, although for me the trial server continued to work, albeit intermittantly, during the suspension. I have e-mailed the trials dept. I assume the settings are the same as before.

bioboy
16-01-2004, 10:13
I also failed to receive notification that the trial had restarted, but knew about it anyway, because of the notification here. It would be nice if I could be sent an e-mail with a link to the questionnaire agin as the last time the link didn't work. When does the trial end?

Speed seems good and stable so far. Some posts on some of the binary groups are still there even though posted 30 days ago, which is great. Some posted yesterday are also there, but strangely enough many posted just a couple of days ago aren't there at all, which is pretty confusing.

RHP
16-01-2004, 17:07
Once again, despite supposedly being on a "problem list" of people who don't receive the blanket E-Mails and are sent details separately - I have received NOTHING, despite sending E-Mail as requested above. So as yet I have NEVER, EVER received details of the trial so am now here waiting like an idiot to be enlightened.

DrAwesome
16-01-2004, 17:10
Once again, despite supposedly being on a "problem list" of people who don't receive the blanket E-Mails and are sent details separately - I have received NOTHING, despite sending E-Mail as requested above. So as yet I have NEVER, EVER received details of the trial so am now here waiting like an idiot to be enlightened.

I guess it wont help suggesting emailing trials@ntl.com
again letting them know? (when i had problems i used my hotmail email address)

Pointman
16-01-2004, 17:13
I guess it wont help suggesting emailing trials@ntl.com
again letting them know?

No need, we see it,

Bumpy HAS sent all the e-mails but some are bouncing.
THAT IS WHY he set up this thread so that anyone who looked here could see that the trial was on, just in case any e-mail issues occurred again.

DrAwesome
16-01-2004, 17:16
Bumpy HAS sent all the e-mails but some are bouncing.
THAT IS WHY he set up this thread so that anyone who looked here could see that the trial was on, just in case any e-mail issues occurred again.

just wondering is there a set limit to how many emails you can send out all in one go?

Pointman
16-01-2004, 17:23
just wondering is there a set limit to how many emails you can send out all in one go?

Yes and consequently they have been sent out in ever decreasing batches but these mails SHOULD have been OK as they were in small amounts.

Still scratching our heads over this.

bumpy
16-01-2004, 17:24

Doc, there's an internal limit of 50, but we have had the restriction lifted to enable us to mail all the trialist in one or two go's.

RHP
16-01-2004, 18:04
Still waiting ....

bioboy
16-01-2004, 19:20
Same here, but then again I haven't been able to access my e-mail at all today. All I get is "pop3 server not found" error messages. Ho hum.....

martin oldgoth
16-01-2004, 21:51
Everything seems to be okay, my posts are even appearing on the groups I subscribe to which is a start, and being able to disguise my email address is a bonus over the free German News service I have been using, if things carry on as they are at the moment then I won't have any complaints....

One group missing from the ones I normal use but I guess that's just a matter of asking for it to be added...

martin oldgoth
www.insanitorium.co.uk (http://www.insanitorium.co.uk)

homealone
16-01-2004, 22:33
Everything seems to be okay, my posts are even appearing on the groups I subscribe to which is a start, and being able to disguise my email address is a bonus over the free German News service I have been using, if things carry on as they are at the moment then I won't have any complaints....

One group missing from the ones I normal use but I guess that's just a matter of asking for it to be added...

martin oldgoth

Hi Martin

:welcome: to the forum.

if I was you I would keep your free account, as well - I don't think many groups will be being added to the ntl feed, any time yet;) - I hope I'm wrong, but I think their priority is getting it working first:)

RHP
17-01-2004, 00:28
Still waiting ...

E-Mails reach me telling me that I have PMs waiting for me on this forum which I have read with interest.

Trouble is they are telling fibs. I have still received NOTHING concerning trials. I have E-Mailed the trials team yet again.

Did I mention that Wireless Broadband has now been launched in our little Market Town. Would it surprise anybody that it is looking more and more attractive to me despite a much higher price.

blenky
17-01-2004, 01:55
I think the major issue here is one of completeness of posts. Retention seems to go back as far 12th December but there are a LOT of incomplete threads.

As Ouch has already stated not much point having a good retention window if most of the binary thread are incomplete!

bob_a_builder
17-01-2004, 10:12
Can someone just clarify - is there no newsgroup service from NTL at the mo ( apart from trial).
Didn't they used to run a full (?) service on news.ntlworld.com and a text only version on ????

Are they both down at the mo - text only would be fine for me at the mo - but can;t remember server name

DrAwesome
17-01-2004, 10:38
Didn't they used to run a full (?) service on news.ntlworld.com and a text only version on ????

Are they both down at the mo - text only would be fine for me at the mo - but can;t remember server name

Those were the days when ntl ran a full newsgroup service for their customers :)

news.cable.ntlworld.com
news.ntlword.com
newscache.cable.ntlworld.com
news.tesco.net
news.virgin.net

and

text.news.ntlworld.com

martin oldgoth
17-01-2004, 11:25
if I was you I would keep your free account
Cheers for the welcome!

I'm definitely keeping the free account, not only is it handy for cross checking during this trial but it's useful for backup no matter what the outcome of this trial is...

martin oldgoth

bob_a_builder
17-01-2004, 12:33
Thanks - text.news.... is working

DrAwesome
17-01-2004, 13:11
Thanks - text.news.... is working

np
:cool:
glad to read your up & running viewing text

bioboy
19-01-2004, 11:03
Is it just me or does the trial questionnaire appear quite poor to other people too?

I've been involved in research for many years and had to learn the basics of compiling and administering questionnaires for my MBA. This leaves me with the distinct feeling that NTL aren't necessarily asking the right questions and therefore won't gain enough information to come to a proper conclusion about this trial.

I understand the need to keep it quite short, so that people can actually be bothered to complete it, but I really do think questions like "did you find the trial better/same/worse" etc is far too simplistic.

For me (and I suspect others too) the key factors are reliability (a stable connection), speed, completion, retention and the fact that the service carries the newsgroups that interest us.

My experience so far has been that the trial is an improvement in some of those areas but not in others. This makes it rather difficult to answer the simplistic questions given and even if I do answer NTL aren't getting the full story.

All IMHO of course.

Pointman
19-01-2004, 12:20
Is it just me or does the trial questionnaire appear quite poor to other people too?

I've been involved in research for many years and had to learn the basics of compiling and administering questionnaires for my MBA. This leaves me with the distinct feeling that NTL aren't necessarily asking the right questions and therefore won't gain enough information to come to a proper conclusion about this trial.

I understand the need to keep it quite short, so that people can actually be bothered to complete it, but I really do think questions like "did you find the trial better/same/worse" etc is far too simplistic.

For me (and I suspect others too) the key factors are reliability (a stable connection), speed, completion, retention and the fact that the service carries the newsgroups that interest us.

My experience so far has been that the trial is an improvement in some of those areas but not in others. This makes it rather difficult to answer the simplistic questions given and even if I do answer NTL aren't getting the full story.

All IMHO of course.

Fair comment,
Truth is, at this stage, given how fundamentally poor the customer experience has been in the past, the key factor we wish to gauge is "Has your overall customer experience improved as a result of the changes made for Trial?"

Bumpy (who is running this trial) will undoubtedly be looking for further info before the trial ends and will welcome any info you send him via Trials@ntl.com in the meantime.

You are correct that we have to strike a balance between not asking enough, and asking so much that we don't get any feedback.

Cheers

bumpy
19-01-2004, 12:31

All IMHO of course.

Bioboy

Our key factors are the same, but this trial is about customer experience and not the technical aspects. At the end of the trial I will be able to identify how stable the service has been, retentions and completion percentages. What I need from trialists is their perception of the service against the existing news service. Please accept my apologies if you thought the trial would be different.

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

bioboy
19-01-2004, 12:49
Okay. Fair enough.

Will you be making public the results of the trial or at least letting the trialists know?

RHP
19-01-2004, 14:13
Still Waiting ...

This is getting silly ...

I have received via E-Mail two notifications of Private Messages from Bumpy on the ntlhellworld.co.uk website (This would suggest there is nothing wrong with my E-Mail address!)

These inform me that apparently I should have been sent trial details ...

I have received NOTHING. Not this time, nor the last time the trials were attempted. Only manual E-Mails from Daren Spice last time apologising for not getting details through me, and nothing this time except notification of private messages elsewhere.

What on earth is the problem at NTL? Am I just the latest to be ignored if (supposedly) information is sent but doesn't get through?

Loop
19-01-2004, 14:40
I thought the trails got stoped ? not had any email's saying its going again. so I tryd it and yer its still running werried has i got email saying it stoped

any way i tryd it and all incompletes for me so I whent back to Eurofeeds and all headers are they and no incompletes so at least NTL are trying to get a gooden going and if they do I dont mined paying extrx for it when its better
:wavey:

bumpy
19-01-2004, 17:03
I thought the trails got stoped ? not had any email's saying its going again. so I tryd it and yer its still running werried has i got email saying it stoped

any way i tryd it and all incompletes for me so I whent back to Eurofeeds and all headers are they and no incompletes so at least NTL are trying to get a gooden going and if they do I dont mined paying extrx for it when its better
:wavey:

Loop, the trial has started, if you wish to contact Trials@ntl.com with your email address we can send you the details.

bumpy (ntl trials team)

RHP
19-01-2004, 17:14
So Loop gets a response, I don't.

Am I to assume that either you consider me to be untruthful in stating I have received no trials details, or that having made an unsuccessful attempt to reach me you won't bother again or try to find out why your E-Mail is so unreliable, or if you ignore me for long enough I might go away.

bumpy
19-01-2004, 22:52
So Loop gets a response, I don't.

Am I to assume that either you consider me to be untruthful in stating I have received no trials details, or that having made an unsuccessful attempt to reach me you won't bother again or try to find out why your E-Mail is so unreliable, or if you ignore me for long enough I might go away.

RHP

Nothing of the above is true. I have responded to all your mails you have sent to Trials@ntl.com. If you are still not receiving them I do not know the answer. You have already stated you are getting direct mails from me, but then saying mails I am sending you are not getting through.

bumpy
19-01-2004, 22:57
Okay. Fair enough.

Will you be making public the results of the trial or at least letting the trialists know?

Bioboy, We do not have a policy of publicising trial results as they are of little interest to most people. However, I do not see any reason why trialists should not be aware of the success of the trial and as such will ensure we issue some comments post trial.

On a slightly separate note, some of you have mailed us to advise you are finding incomplete binaries. We are currently investigating this, but it would be really useful to establish details of dates with incomplete binaries and specific groups. If anyone can let me have this information direct to Trials@ntl.com it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

RHP
20-01-2004, 02:24
RHP

Nothing of the above is true. I have responded to all your mails you have sent to Trials@ntl.com. If you are still not receiving them I do not know the answer. You have already stated you are getting direct mails from me, but then saying mails I am sending you are not getting through.

Ok have now received trial details at last. Thank You. They arrived at 2112 Monday 19 Jan 2004.

Let me please be clear - The only E-Mails prior to this were automated mails telling me there were PMs to read on this site. Prior to that the last mail was on 08 Jan from Daren apologising for the fact that trial details hadn't come through and that everything would be resent once trials restarted. My complaints have been that before and since 08 Jan (until now) none of these details ever reached me despite your assurances that they had been sent.

Right, now I'll go away and play triallist!

Shaun
20-01-2004, 10:20
Let me please be clear - The only E-Mails prior to this were automated mails telling me there were PMs to read on this site.

Just to point out that those e-mails would have been generated thanks to this site (which has no official connection to Ntl), so not even those were sent from the trial team! :erm:

greencreeper
20-01-2004, 19:35
Hello All,

This is for anyone involved in the ntl Newsgroups Trial. If you have not received an email from Trials@ntl.com by the end of today with the details, please mail the same address and advise.

thanks

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

Ah well - just found this thread and the post is 5 days old. Bit late now. Never got an email - strange considering that I've always got emails in the past regarding the trials.

DVS
20-01-2004, 20:41
My view of the trial so far is qute poor. Server is quick. Retention is quite good. Completion is **** poor (which negates the good retention as theres little point retaining half posts).

Also I've found a couple of newsgroups that on the trial server seem to have little activity yet I'm seeing GB's a day on the same groups via ClaraNews.

alt.binaries.multimedia.babylon5 seems particularly poor on the trial server suffering from both extremely poor completion and terrible 'up to dateness'. EG a recent Babylon 5 Season 1 DVD 5 posting is showing as fully complete on Claranews (400 + files) yet there's at best 3 dozen files on the trials server and all bar one are incomplete. Claranews also has a complete posting of Babylon 5 Season 1 DVD 6 (a few incompletes but not many) yet the trials server has no files, only a couple of Par2's.

I'm also disappointed that NTL haven't returned to a full news service with these trials but I understand this isn't a choice made by the trials team.

Looks like I'll be keeping my ClaraNews account for the forseeable future :)

Foo Fighter
20-01-2004, 21:05
My view of the trial so far is qute poor. Server is quick. Retention is quite good. Completion is **** poor (which negates the good retention as theres little point retaining half posts).

Also I've found a couple of newsgroups that on the trial server seem to have little activity yet I'm seeing GB's a day on the same groups via ClaraNews.

alt.binaries.multimedia.babylon5 seems particularly poor on the trial server suffering from both extremely poor completion and terrible 'up to dateness'. EG a recent Babylon 5 Season 1 DVD 5 posting is showing as fully complete on Claranews (400 + files) yet there's at best 3 dozen files on the trials server and all bar one are incomplete. Claranews also has a complete posting of Babylon 5 Season 1 DVD 6 (a few incompletes but not many) yet the trials server has no files, only a couple of Par2's.

I'm also disappointed that NTL haven't returned to a full news service with these trials but I understand this isn't a choice made by the trials team.

Looks like I'll be keeping my ClaraNews account for the forseeable future :)

Fully agree with you, its a disapointment and again only half a service like most things with ntl. I'll have to keep my claranews account because my isp is not upto the job. We'll be paying for email servers soon i bet.

DVS
20-01-2004, 21:23
Fully agree with you, its a disapointment and again only half a service like most things with ntl. I'll have to keep my claranews account because my isp is not upto the job. We'll be paying for email servers soon i bet.

Well I already run my own mail services due to the poor NTL service and I take a DNS feed from work due to the DNS problems that have been apparant on NTL. About all NTL provide me with these days is bandwidth and that hasn't been without issue (although my problems did get resolved).

andygrif
22-01-2004, 15:22
I thought it was generally accepted earlier that people participating in the trial wouldn't be commenting on it until after it was over - or am I mistaken?

I'm in the trial, I'm using the test servers - and I have an opinion - which I will be more than happy to share with everyone, after the trial is finished.

I don't think it is fair to ntl to critisice them for any problems you're experiencing as a beta tester of a product.

DVS
22-01-2004, 23:16
I thought it was generally accepted earlier that people participating in the trial wouldn't be commenting on it until after it was over - or am I mistaken?

I'm in the trial, I'm using the test servers - and I have an opinion - which I will be more than happy to share with everyone, after the trial is finished.

I don't think it is fair to ntl to critisice them for any problems you're experiencing as a beta tester of a product.

I've read nothing about not commenting and in fact this thread includes comments from quite a few trialists.

As far as criticizing a Beta product - how the hell are they mean't to know of problems if we don't notify them (and yes I did email the details I posted to trials@ntl.com). Feedback is a major part of trialing anything (or at least it is in the IT department I manage).

What I was attempting to provide was constructive criticism with a pointer to a newsgroup particularly affected by problems as per a post from Bumpy earlier in the thread:-

On a slightly separate note, some of you have mailed us to advise you are finding incomplete binaries. We are currently investigating this, but it would be really useful to establish details of dates with incomplete binaries and specific groups. If anyone can let me have this information direct to Trials@ntl.com it would be greatly appreciated.

bioboy
23-01-2004, 10:32
Yes, I sent an e-mail to the trials team to tell them about the appalling completion rates on many of the binary groups, giving specifics as requested,
but can't say I've noticed any difference at all in the few days since.

Sure some files appear to be on the server about 30 days after posting, but quite often when I've tried to download them some or all of them aren't really there! Then at the same time articles 12 hours old have already disappeared, not to mention the endless posts that exist on easynews but never make it to NTL servers.

Stability is about the only area which has noticeably improved, but then again with only 1,000 trialists maybe that's no real surprise.

I also commented about the groups I'd like to see back and pointed out that the removal of repost groups made it impossible for NTL customers to comply with usenet etiquette, but received no comment back.

I can understand why some say we shouldn't comment on here, but when our feedback seems to go unanswered I see no reason why we can't discuss whether others are experiencing the same problems.

andygrif
23-01-2004, 11:55
As far as criticizing a Beta product - how the hell are they mean't to know of problems if we don't notify them (and yes I did email the details I posted to trials@ntl.com). Feedback is a major part of trialing anything (or at least it is in the IT department I manage).

What I was attempting to provide was constructive criticism with a pointer to a newsgroup particularly affected by problems as per a post from Bumpy earlier in the thread:-

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that your feedback, or anyone else's for that matter, was not constructive. It's just that I did see it mentioned by the trials people that all feedback should be directed straight to them rather than posting in public. Either PM'ing them or emailing the address you mentioned above should suffice.

To be fair, they did not specify this when signing people up to the trial, so maybe it's their own fault.

I can understand why some say we shouldn't comment on here, but when our feedback seems to go unanswered I see no reason why we can't discuss whether others are experiencing the same problems.

I think that is an important point - if the trials email address is not responding to your feedback, then this is poor and should be addressed here - after all it's the new Usenet servers that are on trial not their ability to use email!!

bioboy
23-01-2004, 12:23
I think that is an important point - if the trials email address is not responding to your feedback, then this is poor and should be addressed here - after all it's the new Usenet servers that are on trial not their ability to use email!!
They did respond to my e-mail, but all they said was something along the lines of "thankyou for your e-mail" and didn't answer any of my questions. Then they appear to have done nothing about the incomplete and missing posts I mentioned. Didn't seem much point in my e-mail in that case. May send another e-mail if no improvement in next couple of days, but not holding my breath for them do do anything about it.

ynwa
23-01-2004, 12:38
I have not received any e-mail about the trial restarting. I have e-mailed the trials team.

On the trial i am unable to get speeds above 30 Kbps, on my dial up connection in work (zoom internet) i am getting double this speed?? Is it something i have done wrong or is the server still not working right?

martin oldgoth
23-01-2004, 22:43
Been keeping an eye on things during the trial using two different news servers, the trial one and the free one I normally use.

I'm getting a lot of junk/spam on the groups read through the NTL newserver and some posts on the groups I subscribe to are appearing late or reappearing once read as unread days later, I've mailed them about it but no response so far.

Apart from that not bad.....

martin oldgoth

ynwa
24-01-2004, 15:01
What kind of speeds is everyone getting on the server?

homealone
24-01-2004, 15:14
I got an e-mail yesterday announcing that the trial has been suspended for a couple of weeks while they sort out some of the problems highlighted in the feedback they got.

ynwa
24-01-2004, 15:21
never got that email either. Anyone else get it?

DVS
24-01-2004, 15:35
never got that email either. Anyone else get it?

Yes.. I received notice that the trial was being suspended while the completion and other issues where resolved.

As to your earlier question of speed. I'm getting a Mbit off the server without problem.

bioboy
24-01-2004, 18:30
Received nothing. Not surprised as I only receive half their e-mails anyway. What's the point of keep suspending the trial every time they get problems?

bumpy
24-01-2004, 18:35
Bioboy, It was decided it was unreasonable to expect trialists to continue trialling a service which through your feedback has identified specific issues. Surely it makes more sense for us to suspend the trial whilst these are resolved.

bioboy
24-01-2004, 19:24
Okay. Can you make sure we all get e-mails informing us about what is happening then please?

RHP
25-01-2004, 02:52
Here we go again - I've had no E-MAil saying the trials are suspended either.

Sybex
25-01-2004, 12:10
Ive given up with the trial. Didnt even know it had restarted. Dont get half the emails they send. Have checked my email address with the trials team on a number of occasions and get replies back ok. Last email I got from the trials team was on 8 Jan, no wonder I loose track of the trial status. Can someone confirm if its on or off or still suspended as my last email said.

bumpy
25-01-2004, 20:02
Ive given up with the trial. Didnt even know it had restarted. Dont get half the emails they send. Have checked my email address with the trials team on a number of occasions and get replies back ok. Last email I got from the trials team was on 8 Jan, no wonder I loose track of the trial status. Can someone confirm if its on or off or still suspended as my last email said.

Sybex

The trial restarted last week and was suspended again this week following the feedback being received indicating we had a problem with incomplete binaries. I am aware many of you have not had the emails before or now. I have numerous rejection messages to go through and this is purely from this weeks update.

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

Sybex
25-01-2004, 20:05
Sybex

The trial restarted last week and was suspended again this week following the feedback being received indicating we had a problem with incomplete binaries. I am aware many of you have not had the emails before or now. I have numerous rejection messages to go through and this is purely from this weeks update.

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

Many thanks for the reply. I will wait to see if I get an email when the trial restarts.

ynwa
26-01-2004, 15:04
Whatsoftware does everyone use for newgroup access. I have been using newbinpro. but i seem to be getting different results from everyone else (mainly speed)

bioboy
26-01-2004, 15:11
I use Grabit. Have tried several others but keep coming back. It's free BTW.

asdf
26-01-2004, 15:48
Gravity, best newsreader for Windows imho. :)

bioboy
27-01-2004, 12:55
Got an e-mail about the trial's suspension yesterday. :)

Any of you guys who didn't get e-mails might like to know it is expected to re-start in 2-3 weeks, around 9th February approx.

DVS
28-01-2004, 00:22
Whatsoftware does everyone use for newgroup access. I have been using newbinpro. but i seem to be getting different results from everyone else (mainly speed)

I use NewsBinPro myself but I have no problem with reported speeds? I was seeing 980Kbps off the trial server?

Other software I use is XNews (for text groups). Speeds I see in XNews concur with NBP.

RHP
28-01-2004, 01:28
Message regarding suspension of trials arrived at 22:47 on 27th. If this was part of a bulk E-Mail where the h*ll has it been for the last few days. If it wasn't then Thanks!

Sybex
28-01-2004, 07:54
Got an email at last (27 January 2004 22:23:40 GMT) from the trials team giving me the latest information on the trial status. AT LAST.

bumpy
28-01-2004, 15:45
Message regarding suspension of trials arrived at 22:47 on 27th. If this was part of a bulk E-Mail where the h*ll has it been for the last few days. If it wasn't then Thanks!

RHP, This was part of bulk email, which we managed to track. It would seem it was delayed for a few days and then bounced back to us. I resent all those that bounced back last night. Glad to see we have managed to get mail to you at last.

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

ynwa
29-01-2004, 16:21
I use NewsBinPro myself but I have no problem with reported speeds? I was seeing 980Kbps off the trial server?

Thanks DVS. I have always had the problem of slow newsgroups whether on the test or the old server. I always put it down to a bad service. I have recently signed up for Astraweb and am having the same problem. NTLs tech support gave me no help at all. Anyone know if an NTL fault could be to blame? MY PC has been rebuilt several times over the past year or so and i always have this problem.

DVS
06-02-2004, 15:34
Seeing as no one has posted this yet:-

Just received an email, 06/02/04, that the News Server Trial is resuming and will run until Friday the 13th.

asdf
06-02-2004, 15:37
Friday the 13th? Excellent.. ;)

bumpy
06-02-2004, 15:38
Seeing as no one has posted this yet:-

Just received an email, 06/02/04, that the News Server Trial is resuming and will run until Friday the 13th.

Thanks for placing the update. I can confirm the trial has resumed today and you should all have an email on it's way to you with all the details.

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

DVS
06-02-2004, 15:54
Friday the 13th? Excellent.. ;)

Well hopefully the third time luck syndrome (it is third time?) will counter the Friday the 13th syndrome :D

Sybex
07-02-2004, 15:15
Where is my email :no: :no:
Had the email on the trial restart but still no info on the server address even after sending an email to the trials team and a follow up phone call.

Missing emails again !

bumpy
07-02-2004, 17:51
Where is my email :no: :no:
Had the email on the trial restart but still no info on the server address even after sending an email to the trials team and a follow up phone call.

Missing emails again !

Sybex

All mails received yesterday and today have been responded too, apologies if you have not had this yet. If stilll not received by the end of today and you need any further information send me a PM. For the benefit of anyone of who has not got the server address, it is as follows:

newstest.ntli.net

Bumpy (ntl trials team

andshrew
11-02-2004, 13:48
Whats everyone think of it since the trial restarted?

bioboy
11-02-2004, 15:33
Seeing as you ask, it's worse than before the 2 week break to fix the problems with incomplete and missing posts IMHO.:(

Before the two week break the binary groups I use had about 50% incompletes.
After the break to fix the problem it was about 99% incompletes.:banghead:

Fast, stable service, but shame there's nothing much for me to download. :pp

I contacted the trials team about it a couple of days ago, but no improvement. I don't wish to criticise but I do wonder exactly what they did during the two week suspension.:confused:

bumpy
11-02-2004, 20:15
Bioboy, you should have received a mail from us today advising there have been some issues identified during the trial, and work has been done to rectify these. Can you send me a pm with the groups you are having problems with, so I can look at the completion rates on them now.

Bumpy (ntl trial team)

Foo Fighter
11-02-2004, 21:13
Bioboy, you should have received a mail from us today advising there have been some issues identified during the trial, and work has been done to rectify these. Can you send me a pm with the groups you are having problems with, so I can look at the completion rates on them now.

Bumpy (ntl trial team)

Just curious who this server is aimed at? Its no good for people who want to use binaries (lack of any usefull groups) and theres already a text only server?

I say you give it a proper test with the old groups back on, the server is useless as it is, we still have to use claranews etc

see how it copes as a real newservice not this useless crap. I try and use it and theres not one good group on it... You want us to give a stress test but theres nothing on it worth looking twice at.

I'll stick to claranews and bittorent i suppose, you should want us on newsgroups rather than bt which uploads and costs you loads on bandwidth.

Unless the groups get put back on the service is still crap imho.

edit: just had a look on a few groups and about 95% of files incomplete

homealone
12-02-2004, 00:17
I will try to take part in the 'stress test' , tomorrow, but I also have a suggestion re: assessing the completion thingy - could we pick a group, say

alt.binaries.e-book.flood

and report on number of headers, oldest header, etc - using the test server - and also any free/paid for accounts we have?

the most headers I am showing in this group is 12709 back to 12/01/04 - how are you guys measuring % completion?

Keytops
12-02-2004, 03:39
Less than 3% completion on alt.bin..multimedia.comedy, 21% on alt.bin..sounds.radio.bbc, similar stories on most other groups.
Still.. at least you can connect to the server so I supppose it some sort of improvement. :zzz:

bioboy
12-02-2004, 09:08

Bumpy (ntl trial team)
I have PM'd you. Not much improvement I'm afraid.:(

autofill@jonric
12-02-2004, 19:03
Well Last night (1am ish) I had 70K & 8 connections just to see before the stress test.. Tonight it is getting only 55-60K

Oh well it is better than 2K :)

Will have to see what 8pm brings.

bawbag99
12-02-2004, 20:02
Having no access to the trial I hope that the completion is better than what is offered on the usual servers as there is more missing articles than ever!

Probably why you can get access to the servers as there is nothing to download.

DVS
12-02-2004, 21:56
Bumpy, tech question time :)

Looking at the DNS for the trial server you appear to operating round robin DNS across 8 IP addresses. Now unless you are running 10GBit net cards or multiple 1GBit cards teamed that's only 8GBit of bandwidth (max). Surely 8,000 simultaneous 1Mbit downloaders will eat up that bandwidth? I'm sure I'm missing something here but I have to ask (and probably look like a fool :) ).

bumpy
12-02-2004, 23:12
Bumpy, tech question time :)

Looking at the DNS for the trial server you appear to operating round robin DNS across 8 IP addresses. Now unless you are running 10GBit net cards or multiple 1GBit cards teamed that's only 8GBit of bandwidth (max). Surely 8,000 simultaneous 1Mbit downloaders will eat up that bandwidth? I'm sure I'm missing something here but I have to ask (and probably look like a fool :) ).

DVS, I would like to say I know the answer, but I don't. The key here is to load the servers to ensure they can without 8000 customers usage at one time, giving us growth for the future. In terms of your question I will enquire and release what info I can.

Bumpy (ntl trials team)

bumpy
12-02-2004, 23:15
I will try to take part in the 'stress test' , tomorrow, but I also have a suggestion re: assessing the completion thingy - could we pick a group, say

alt.binaries.e-book.flood

and report on number of headers, oldest header, etc - using the test server - and also any free/paid for accounts we have?

the most headers I am showing in this group is 12709 back to 12/01/04 - how are you guys measuring % completion?

Homealone, very good idea, however, based on the information of groups your are telling me about. We are monitoring these on a daily basis to review improvements so know real need to expect you guys to do more for us.

autofill@jonric
12-02-2004, 23:48
:) :wavey: Well the stress test went well for me, 65K download using 8 connections. I only had a small drop out of about 5 seconds where all 8 connections fell over, but then recovered.

homealone
13-02-2004, 00:04
Homealone, very good idea, however, based on the information of groups your are telling me about. We are monitoring these on a daily basis to review improvements so know real need to expect you guys to do more for us.

kay

for alt.binaries.e-book.flood

server name, headers, oldest header date

test, 12709, 12/01/04

teranews, 2846, 05/02/04

bubbanews, 2805 05/02/04

news.cache.cable.ntlworld.com, 8527, 05/02/04

newscache.cable.ntlworld.com, 8527, 05/02/04

bioboy
13-02-2004, 10:40
The "stress test" seemed to work for me apart from when my son accidentally crashed the PC around 8.30.:rolleyes:

However, I'm wondering whether 1,000 users (at most, cos some people seem to be unaware/not getting e-mails?) can really be considered high stress. I have no idea how many ntl customers use newsgroups, but I would've thought it would be measured in tens of thousands at least, so does stability with under 8,000 concurrent connections represent real room for growth? Maybe Bumpy could provide some info on this. Perhaps I'm talking cobblers? :confused:

Jontydog
13-02-2004, 11:15
When exactly are we going to be able to use this "new improved service"? The way it stands at the moment the newsgroups are absolutely ridiculous.

andygrif
13-02-2004, 12:03
When exactly are we going to be able to use this "new improved service"? The way it stands at the moment the newsgroups are absolutely ridiculous.

I think to be fair...finally ntl have started to do something about it. It's been awful for a couple of years now but with their financial woes at the time it was obviously not seen as a priorty.

Now they are testing out an improved system, but obviously no-one will be able to say when it will be available to everyone, becuase they are testing it out, seeing if it works.

Personally, having been thoroughly pee'd off for the last two years' of ntl doing naff all about this, that finally there is positive movement in the right direction. Along with all the other bits they're 'working on' on the internet side right now it may even come close to the world class ISP it is always claiming to be...who knows!!

DVS
13-02-2004, 16:21
When exactly are we going to be able to use this "new improved service"?

Probably when NTL have worked out all the kinks in it :) No point in NTL launching a flawed service or they'd get slated for it. Yes, it's taking a while to resolve the problems and the trials has been postponed a few times, stopped and restarted when problems have been found, but in the end NTL are doing thinks right IMO. Get the service right then launch, not launch and tidy up the problems after.

bioboy
18-02-2004, 19:25
Well now that the trial has finished what did people think of it. A big disappointment for me in terms of completion. Speed and reliability good, though not sure if it would continue with more people on the server. Completion was worse than before though IMO. Can't really see how it was a trial of an "enhanced service".

Foo Fighter
18-02-2004, 20:26
I thought it was a huge disapointment as well, i'd recommend that ntl go get their money back because who ever they bought these off must be laughing all the way to the bank

The servers off no improvement at all, if anything their worse with the awfull completion... like already said i doubt they would hold under the pressure if they ever went live.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foo.fighter/Images/Threads/GeoThumbsDown1sm.jpg

Benn_Black
19-02-2004, 18:17
I thought it was a huge disapointment as well, i'd recommend that ntl go get their money back because who ever they bought these off must be laughing all the way to the bank

The servers off no improvement at all, if anything their worse with the awfull completion... like already said i doubt they would hold under the pressure if they ever went live.

I gave up and subscribed to claranews unlimited.

ynwa
21-02-2004, 13:13
Me too. just signed for Astraweb. Just been waiting too long for NTL to sort this, and there seems to be no sign of them doing that. The trial has been a big flop for me.

Pointman
23-02-2004, 02:43
Me too. just signed for Astraweb. Just been waiting too long for NTL to sort this, and there seems to be no sign of them doing that. The trial has been a big flop for me.

It's worth mentioning that in our "Trial Closure" e-mail, we did mention that there will be additional hardware going in in early March (like the 1st week in March) which should resolve any outstanding issues.

It would be great if all of you would be willing to let us know in a few weeks...lets say 15 March to allow for completions to build up.......if the service has improved by then or not.

We are listening. :)

obvious
23-02-2004, 10:35
there will be additional hardware going in in early March (like the 1st week in March) which should resolve any outstanding issues.

Excellent. Looking forward to the reinstatement of all the missing binary groups. That £1milli on investment seems to finally have come through. Thanks.

Guess ntl finally came to their senses and realised just how much transit bandwidth they'd save by providing a full feed again. Nice one.

ynwa
23-02-2004, 20:05
It's worth mentioning that in our "Trial Closure" e-mail, we did mention that there will be additional hardware going in in early March (like the 1st week in March) which should resolve any outstanding issues.

Sorry, i never received that e-mail.

lincsat
23-02-2004, 20:43

It would be great if all of you would be willing to let us know in a few weeks...lets say 15 March to allow for completions to build up.......if the service has improved by then or not.

We are listening. :)

Is the new Hardware initially only on the trial server or will it be available over all the NTL servers?

I too would welcome the re-instatement of the binary groups.

Pointman
24-02-2004, 18:53
Is the new Hardware initially only on the trial server or will it be available over all the NTL servers?

I too would welcome the re-instatement of the binary groups.

I believe it will be all

bioboy
25-02-2004, 10:15
Excellent. Looking forward to the reinstatement of all the missing binary groups. That £1milli on investment seems to finally have come through. Thanks.

Guess ntl finally came to their senses and realised just how much transit bandwidth they'd save by providing a full feed again. Nice one.I notice you highlighted the word "any", but I fear they won't be reinstating the groups which were removed. I hope I'm wrong?!

On the other hand I am pleased they're getting some new hardware in a week or so.:)

bioboy
25-02-2004, 10:17

We are listening. :)Thanks. Will do.

lincsat
26-02-2004, 23:37
Is the trial server still receiving traffic? I seem to be getting no new headers.

bioboy
27-02-2004, 12:08
It was yesterday morning. I'll check again tonight.

bioboy
01-03-2004, 10:16
New headers were uploading fine at the weekend, though some groups still have plenty of incompletes.

ntluser
01-03-2004, 10:28
I must admit that since I joined the trial there has been a great improvement in the newsgroup service I have received.

The connection to the server has been a lot more reliable and faster.Posting and downloads have been much better. There still appear to be some downloads where one of the parts is missing,mainly the larger,multi-part downloads but hopefully that can be improved.

Header downloads now activate virtually automatically as I switch from group to group,which didn't happen before and they are much faster.

I also used to have problems connecting to the server late at night e.g. 10.30pm onwards and put this down to increased usage by NTL users but this seems a lot better too.

So well done NTL!! :angel: (Famous last words?) ;)

IanUK
01-03-2004, 10:55
The normal cable server seems a little better over the last few days, I don't have access to the trial one, but hopefully that is even better - I hope we get to see the benefits of the upgrades soon.

Cheers

Ian

bioboy
01-03-2004, 16:00
I must admit that since I joined the trial there has been a great improvement in the newsgroup service I have received.

The connection to the server has been a lot more reliable and faster.Posting and downloads have been much better. There still appear to be some downloads where one of the parts is missing,mainly the larger,multi-part downloads but hopefully that can be improved.

Header downloads now activate virtually automatically as I switch from group to group,which didn't happen before and they are much faster.

I also used to have problems connecting to the server late at night e.g. 10.30pm onwards and put this down to increased usage by NTL users but this seems a lot better too.

So well done NTL!! :angel: (Famous last words?) ;)
I agree with what you're saying, but then you would expect spped and reliability to be better with far less people on the trial server. Let's see if it continues when everybody is on it.

ntluser
01-03-2004, 16:12
I agree with what you're saying, but then you would expect spped and reliability to be better with far less people on the trial server. Let's see if it continues when everybody is on it.

That's a fair point. I was just reporting back my experience so that the trial organisers can note the improvements or not in the areas mentioned. It will indeed be interesting to see what happens when everybody tries to use the server. Just hope it all works for everybody.

bioboy
01-03-2004, 17:11
Yes. I'm looking forward to the installation of new equipment this week that should improve things further.:D

bioboy
04-03-2004, 12:44
Does anybody know if the upgrade has taken place yet?

IanUK
04-03-2004, 13:50
I hope not, its no different here :(

DVS
04-03-2004, 19:05
I presume not or I'd expect they'd have restarted the trial to see if there was an improvement.

jwt1
04-03-2004, 19:21
Help anyone, do to a hard disk failure I've lost the settings ie news server detail, can anyone help and mail them to me.
Thanks

bigboab5
04-03-2004, 19:25
Help anyone, do to a hard disk failure I've lost the settings ie news server detail, can anyone help and mail them to me.
Thanks

I think you are better PM'ing POINTMAN for that info!!

Bigboab

DVS
04-03-2004, 19:33
Or email trails@ntl.com

ynwa
08-03-2004, 19:23
So have we had our new Hardware installed, and which server should we now be using?

Pointman
09-03-2004, 09:47
So have we had our new Hardware installed, and which server should we now be using?

.....just heard it went in LIVE today. All Trials and new kit are on news.ntlworld.com

ynwa
09-03-2004, 14:00
Thanks Pointman.

IanUK
09-03-2004, 15:53
Seems much better in the last day or so - very nice :)

Who should I send new newsgroup requests to ?

One more thing - I'm using news.cable.ntlworld.com and have noticed a big improvement - should I now be using news.ntlworld.com or are they both now on the new equipment ?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Foo Fighter
09-03-2004, 18:41
Hmmm have more groups been cut?

Seems to be missing even more, groups that were on the trial server have disapeared...

bioboy
10-03-2004, 11:48
Hope you are wrong, Foo Fighter. I will be well peeved if NTL have removed more groups when what we need are some of the old groups reinstated. I thought they were beginning to listen to their customers at last!:(

bioboy
11-03-2004, 08:58
Yep. alt.binaries.multimedia, one of the largest groups, has been removed.:Yikes:

Just how NTL think this is them improving the service is beyond me. So come on, NTL, explain how this "addresses all remaining issues"?:confused:

Stuartbe
11-03-2004, 09:00
Yep. alt.binaries.multimedia, one of the largest groups, has been removed.:Yikes:

Just how NTL think this is them improving the service is beyond me. So come on, NTL, explain how this "addresses all remaining issues"?:confused:

:LOL: One of the ways to make the servers faster is to remove half the data. Nice one NTL :rolleyes:

Foo Fighter
11-03-2004, 10:11
This takes the ****, this trial was a joke

the servers are crap, you wasted everyones time... obviously you couldn't be bothered to do a proper job so were left with servers that are worse then before the trial started...

next time save everyone the trouble and don't even bother. Can we assume this trial was a failure? not one person is happy with them.

Stuartbe
11-03-2004, 10:18
This takes the ****, this trial was a joke

the servers are crap, you wasted everyones time... obviously you couldn't be bothered to do a proper job so were left with servers that are worse then before the trial started...

next time save everyone the trouble and don't even bother. Can we assume this trial was a failure? not one person is happy with them.

Yep - cant disagree with that....

Yet another supurb job by NTL :rolleyes: - Is it any wonder that people get p$ssed of with your company when you treat them like this ?

IanUK
11-03-2004, 11:36
not one person is happy with them.I think the server is much better than it was, its not perfect and the missing groups are a pain, but completion is miles better than it was.

Just my view..

Ian

ntluser
11-03-2004, 11:50
I think the problem is that everybody's perspective is different because we are probably getting different degrees of quality of service.

If you get a very poor service then understandibly your view will be different to someone whose service is very good.

NTL need to set up some kind of monitoring or feedback project which involves users from all NTL areas and platforms, on different connection speeds using a variety of PCs with low speed to high speed processors and different operating systems. In that way they can get an overall view of the service being provided, identify problems and solve them.

Personally, I've noted a great improvement in my newsgroup service in Manchester, but I realise that this may not be the case for everybody.Let's hope that NTL can get it sorted for everybody soon.

IanUK
13-03-2004, 23:30
I'm getting massive time outs tonight on the server, shame its been great up till now - I guess its busy :(

Does anyone know an email address to send group requests to or if we can connect on another port other than 119 ?

Thanks

Ian

wheeliebin
14-03-2004, 00:28
Yep - cant disagree with that....

Yet another supurb job by NTL :rolleyes: - Is it any wonder that people get p$ssed of with your company when you treat them like this ?

Stu did you get on the trial ?

I didnt think you were an NTL customer ?

I found the trial to be quite poor but i accept it was a trial. I advise anyone who goes on a products trial to expect the worst (its a trial after all)
I have found the server to be brilliant lately (crosses fingers)

The question i would have to ask NTL and the guys who ran the trial is....why consider offering another version of newsgroups which carry binaries?

AFAIK the only companies that offer a good standard of news service (bin included) are the ones who charge for it. The best i know for value is Clara.

A good news service is not a pre requisite of an ISP imho. Maybe it should be and yes it used to be. But the strain and demand of news servers these days would make a good free service un-economical

bioboy
15-03-2004, 10:20
Having given the new service a few days more I've decided that perhaps my earlier criticism was a bit harsh.

The service is pretty fast and far more stable than it was before. Retention and completion are also way better than before, so a thumbs-up to NTL for that. Now if we could just get a few of the missing groups re-established.....;) :)

IanUK
15-03-2004, 12:18
Seems to have gone a bit awry this morning though, I'm not seeing any new posts in any groups after about 9am :(

ynwa
15-03-2004, 17:57
AFAIK the only companies that offer a good standard of news service (bin included) are the ones who charge for it. The best i know for value is Clara.

pipex have an excellent news service with binaries, free with their ADSL connection. And at 23 quid for a 512 thats where i think ill be this time next month unless NTL get an equally good service by then, which is doubtful.

mrmassive
16-03-2004, 10:06
ive noticed the retention on the servers is better but the connection drops to 0kbps for ages then :mad: goes up again it takes ages to download something any ideas wats the cause of this

wheeliebin
16-03-2004, 12:34
pipex have an excellent news service with binaries, free with their ADSL connection. And at 23 quid for a 512 thats where i think ill be this time next month unless NTL get an equally good service by then, which is doubtful.

Pipex seem to be impressing a lot of people at the mo. I must say i am impressed if they run a free tip top news feed. Any ISP's i have used in the past have not. They have all had news feeds in the strictest sense but nothing to write home about.

I suspect (although im happy to be proved wrong) that if they had a million customers this may be slightly different. Most people dont expect a free reliable (binaries incl) news service which is why the likes of Clara and Easynews do so well.

Well done to Pipex tho

ynwa
16-03-2004, 19:19
Pipex seem to be impressing a lot of people at the mo. I must say i am impressed if they run a free tip top news feed. Any ISP's i have used in the past have not. They have all had news feeds in the strictest sense but nothing to write home about.

I suspect (although im happy to be proved wrong) that if they had a million customers this may be slightly different. Most people dont expect a free reliable (binaries incl) news service which is why the likes of Clara and Easynews do so well.

Well done to Pipex tho
Mate from work would download around 20gb per week from Pipex Binary Newsgroups. And at a cheaper monthly cost than im paying NTL for my Poor news and capped service.

wheeliebin
16-03-2004, 22:15
Mate from work would download around 20gb per week from Pipex Binary Newsgroups. And at a cheaper monthly cost than im paying NTL for my Poor news and capped service.

So then ,,,,the question has to be ...Why are you not with Pipex then ?

Must be a non serviceable area you live in eh ?

I must admit i might just have to check Pipex out if NTL ever treat me badly :D

ynwa
17-03-2004, 12:32
So then ,,,,the question has to be ...Why are you not with Pipex then ?

Must be a non serviceable area you live in eh ?

I must admit i might just have to check Pipex out if NTL ever treat me badly :D

I will be shortly

bioboy
17-03-2004, 17:12
ive noticed the retention on the servers is better but the connection drops to 0kbps for ages then :mad: goes up again it takes ages to download something any ideas wats the cause of thisI'm not having that problem at all. In fact things have improved so much over the last couple of weeks that I'm hardly having to use my easynews account at all. In fact with just 3 days left until my account trips over to the next 30 days I've only used 2 Gb of my 6 Gb quota and that's never happened before.:shocked:

IanUK
17-03-2004, 21:51
Loads of posts missing tonight compared to Easynews :(

Oh well, NTL's servers were great for 2 days.....

Cheers

Ian

bioboy
19-03-2004, 13:06
What groups are you having problems with, Ian? I only ask because our experience differs so greatly. Also, what newreader are you using?

ntl customer
21-03-2004, 18:11
So, just how many newsgroups have been culled?

I am new to the whole newsgroups thing and not only is ntl's service dreadfully slow, and also not all seem to be there.

Is this just temporary or is it permanent?

:confused:

IanUK
21-03-2004, 19:23
NewsbinPro for bins and OE6 for text.

Everything seems ok again, except for the time outs, sometimes I have to click a post several times in OE6 before it will display, Easynews is fine though - which seems to point to the NTL newsserver as having the problem.
I can live with it, as completion is pretty cool on NTL's server at present.

I'm using news.ntlworld.com

Cheers

Ian

ntl customer
21-03-2004, 20:13
Where is the alt.binaries.cd.image newsgroup?

It was available on Pipex but now I can't access it anymore because I do no longer have an account with them. :(

ynwa
22-03-2004, 12:20
Where is the alt.binaries.cd.image newsgroup?

It was available on Pipex but now I can't access it anymore because I do no longer have an account with them. :(

You will find very few groups with images for DVDs and CDs and stuff. Seems all the large groups have been removed. You should have stuck with Pipex.

bioboy
24-03-2004, 10:48
Well I could mention quite a few that are still available, but if i do they might remove 'em!;)

wheeliebin
24-03-2004, 14:21
You will find very few groups with images for DVDs and CDs and stuff. Seems all the large groups have been removed. You should have stuck with Pipex.

Au contraire.... :)

THe ones i usually use are all there.

Foo Fighter
24-03-2004, 14:37
Theres no good groups, you'll have to subscribe to some usenet providor as ntl can't handle its customers

I'm on
Claranews (unlimited)
Astranews (pay as you go)

Matth
28-03-2004, 14:26
Don't know about extra culls, but the server performance (the NEW severs?) is a bad as it ever was, if not worse.

Performance on headers is quite good, but on bodies (and not big binaries, but text as well) is truly MISERABLE, if it doesn't bomb out, it'll do 7-10 and then freeze up for ages - it MIGHT move on when it feels like it, or it's just as likely to drop out.

What was the point of the newsgroups trial?
Perhaps thet were "nursing" the trial server, as it was reasonably ok during the period, but although use of it was extended beyond the trial period, it was getting flaky then - while the old server pool was actually having a pretty good run.

IanUK
28-03-2004, 16:29
I find completion to be very good now - so the trial seemed to work for that but I agree with the time outs - reading text groups is a nightmare - it just times out all the time :(

ntl customer
28-03-2004, 21:59
Performance on headers is quite good, but on bodies (and not big binaries, but text as well) is truly MISERABLE, if it doesn't bomb out, it'll do 7-10 and then freeze up for ages - it MIGHT move on when it feels like it, or it's just as likely to drop out.
I'd tend to agree with that. Headers are quick, but bodies (both text and binaries) are a nightmare and always seem to freeze for ages, triggering the OE "would you like to wait for another 60 seconds" stuff.

:mad:

Rik
30-03-2004, 10:35
Im afraid I have totally given up on NTLs News Servers........Giganews all the way, I know its a bit pricey but its worth it :)

NTL should really be able to sort out a decent Newsgroup service and email but for some reason this business has dragged on for months if not years :(

My best advice is to register a domain, get a decent email service and subscribe to www.giganews.com (http://www.giganews.com)

Mat-d-rat
01-04-2004, 10:09
The text.news server was perfect for me as I don't do binaries... Seemed to be the only one that worked propley as well!! Where is the list of new news servers, why no email from NTL telling us this stuff??

stephen2
02-04-2004, 20:32
The text.news server was perfect for me as I don't do binaries... Seemed to be the only one that worked propley as well!! Where is the list of new news servers, why no email from NTL telling us this stuff??
Has NTL pulled the plugs out on any of the news servers in the last couple of days.

I say this as I was downloading newsgroups from the following servers;
However two days ago theses servers have seemingly stopped working. What a pity if they have been pulled as they're the only ones I've been able to download anything from during the past few months that haven't continuously timed out tking all day just to get a few messages.

If these are no longer available does anyone here know of the address for news servers that actually work?

Vegeta
02-04-2004, 23:34
Some of the servers I have been using stopped working last night.

Looks like only the main servers ie news.ntlworld.com and their aliases are available and while they have big retention, they are lagging behind on new posts and downloads timeout a lot :o

IanUK
03-04-2004, 11:02
Almost everything is incomplete from last night, whats happened ?? it was going so well :(

Matth
03-04-2004, 18:50
Completion may have dived, but I actually got ALL my marked bodies, with only a few mild stalls.

I begin to wonder if they break things deliberately, so we'll be glad when they just about work!

IanUK
03-04-2004, 19:31
Just about everything is incomplete, its useless :(
I'd rather have the stalling, but now I have both stalling *and* massive incompletion.

The service status doesn't mention anything...

So much for the trial fixing stuff, well it did for about a fortnight..