PDA

View Full Version : sex education for 5 year olds

kronas
12-07-2003, 18:07
so called 'experts' have recommended that children from 5 years old should be taught sex education the scheme would not go in to too much detail but would start with basics so that the child would understand

but family and youth group concern say that its a form of 'child abuse' which would rob them of there 'innocence'

my opinion i think its too early 10-13 years old is the ideal time IMO for them to be taught as children especailly taking in to account girls mature faster then boys they should learn the pitfalls of certain 'actions' they make take

but most schools brush the idea aside of sex ed and not teach the 'real' issues youngsters can face........

Chris
12-07-2003, 18:22
It's a really difficult issue. We plan to have our son grow up sort of always having known about sex in one way or another, just learning more as he grows up. I think the right place for him to learn this is at home, from us.

Sadly some parents don't take responsibility for their own kids' well-being - everything is someone else's problem, whether it's the school, the doctor, the government, whatever ... they look to everyone but themselves.

If these people took responsibility for their own kids, there would be no need to suggest doing sex ed in classes for 5-year-olds.

Lord Nikon
12-07-2003, 18:31
My own opinion is this... If a child is old enough to ask questions, then it is old enough to be told. How much it is told depends on age / maturity and for this part, each child is different.

kronas
12-07-2003, 18:36
Originally posted by towny

Sadly some parents don't take responsibility for their own kids' well-being - everything is someone else's problem, whether it's the school, the doctor, the government, whatever ... they look to everyone but themselves.

yes parents dont take the blame because they expect the school to teach them or have no interest in the matter they are too busy to realise whats going on or there is an avoidance on the issue

Originally posted by Lord Nikon
My own opinion is this... If a child is old enough to ask questions, then it is old enough to be told. How much it is told depends on age / maturity and for this part, each child is different.

i agree if a child asks questions with regards to sex then they should be answered with the correct information rather then be a told a fairy story :rolleyes:

BubbleGum
12-07-2003, 20:00
Children should learn how to read and write and how to count. Children should have fun, drawing and building things and playing with their friends. Children as young as 5 shouldn't be learning about sex but maybe the adult 'experts' that kronas mentions need to learn about sex. :grind:

Ramrod
12-07-2003, 21:02
Originally posted by Bluetack
maybe the adult 'experts' need to learn about sex. :grind: [/B]
You mean they should fu*k off?:)
........I agree:)

Graham
12-07-2003, 21:15
Originally posted by kronas
so called 'experts' have recommended that children from 5 years old should be taught sex education

First of all, for those interested in this discussion, one take on the story can be seen at: http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,996066,00.html

Now it seems that kronas has taken an "anti" position to this story because of his expression "so called" and putting "experts" in quotes, thus calling into question their expertise and knowledge from the start.

However these people are actually the Independent Advisory Group on Teenage Pregnancy, this group, quoting from http://www.doh.gov.uk/teenagepregnancy/teenpregovresponse.pdf

"[...] was established in 2000, as part of the Strategyââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s action plan. Its terms of reference are to provide advice to Government and monitor the success of its Strategy towards achieving the headline goals. There are 30 members in the Group, appointed in accordance with the Nolan rules for Non-Departmental Public Bodies, and drawn from a wide range of individuals and organisations with experience of working with teenagers and teenage parents."

This rather implies that these people *are* reasonably qualified to be called "experts" and probably have some idea of what they are talking about.

Of course the writer of story itself doesn't help because they say that sex education for under fives will be "demanded", when I think the word "suggested" would be more appropriate.

> the scheme would not go in to too much detail but would start with basics so that the child would understand

but family and youth group concern say that its a form of 'child abuse' which would rob them of there 'innocence'

Which is a wonderful sound bite response from that group because it contains the loaded expression "child abuse" which will cause instant negative reactions amongst wide areas of the population and which is very difficult to counter without lots of explanation which will cause most people to switch off very quickly.

my opinion i think its too early 10-13 years old is the ideal time IMO for them to be taught as children especailly taking in to account girls mature faster then boys they should learn the pitfalls of certain 'actions' they make take

I would agree with this up to a point, however the report fails to emphasise that it's not just "sex" which is suggested be taught, but *relationships* which is a whole different matter.

Mostly children and teenagers find out about relationships by sheer trial and error and I think that teaching children how to relate to other people (and not just in a "sex" way) is something that *should* be taught to them as soon as possible because not only would it help cut down on teenage pregnancies, but also on abusive relationships etc.

IMO children need to be taught about sex *before* puberty, since by the time they get there they already have formed ideas and opinions based on stuff they've picked up from the playground or on TV etc and it's starting to be too late by that time.

but most schools brush the idea aside of sex ed and not teach the 'real' issues youngsters can face........

I think it's more a case that the schools are so loaded down with the amount of stuff in the National Curriculum they already have to deal with that they just don't feel they can spare the time to deal with all this as well, and that's just down to the Government being willing to spend more money on Education which they promised in the first place.

kronas
12-07-2003, 21:42
Originally posted by Graham
First of all, for those interested in this discussion, one take on the story can be seen at: http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,996066,00.html

Now it seems that kronas has taken an "anti" position to this story because of his expression "so called" and putting "experts" in quotes, thus calling into question their expertise and knowledge from the start.

However these people are actually the Independent Advisory Group on Teenage Pregnancy, this group, quoting from http://www.doh.gov.uk/teenagepregnancy/teenpregovresponse.pdf

i am anti this idea and was being sarcastic but i did show the full picture

your links shows me type of beaurocratic BS we have come to expect from the goverment all talk no action

I would agree with this up to a point, however the report fails to emphasise that it's not just "sex" which is suggested be taught, but *relationships* which is a whole different matter.

Mostly children and teenagers find out about relationships by sheer trial and error and I think that teaching children how to relate to other people (and not just in a "sex" way) is something that *should* be taught to them as soon as possible because not only would it help cut down on teenage pregnancies, but also on abusive relationships etc.

IMO children need to be taught about sex *before* puberty, since by the time they get there they already have formed ideas and opinions based on stuff they've picked up from the playground or on TV etc and it's starting to be too late by that time.

DUH thats stating the obvious with regards to the relationship bit and everything else i dont think the users on this forum need to be told that as im sure they are clever enough to work that one out well i sure did but did not include it in my post

so hows this i had relativly little had little education im my high school years so i missed out on a lot of things sex ed was one no one told/taught me about sex or relationships but i fully understand everything an how to interact with a person not just sexually but buliding freindship as just freinds as you will meet that special person and you wont know what hit you :)

I think it's more a case that the schools are so loaded down with the amount of stuff in the National Curriculum they already have to deal with that they just don't feel they can spare the time to deal with all this as well, and that's just down to the Government being willing to spend more money on Education which they promised in the first place.

i dont think so the amount of english and maths that was drilled in to me at my school it was totally OTT GEOGRAPHY IT PE were rare as was MUSIC better management of timetables could improve education if the teachers are there which sadly is not the case most schools shun sex ed to the side in case parents are against it

Ramrod
12-07-2003, 21:43
These 'experts', are they the same ones who today decided (after 30 years of saying the opposit) that boys do need to engage in rough-and-tumble and games with guns?

homealone
12-07-2003, 21:45
so what are we going to call it- sex education, relationship management - street-wise studies, maybe.

I agree pre-puberty knowledge of the consequences of sex is important.

I thought you were a little hard on kronas, I think a lot of people are concerned at the influence "experts" have, these days. Not to deny their credentials, but not all are in touch with the hoi polloi. You also failed to comment on his point that questions should be answered truthfully - hardly an "anti" stance?

but, also, the fact is the street teaches our kids before we do and I welcome any initiative to redress that:)

I just don't think calling it "sex education" is right - it's more than that -imo

Chris
12-07-2003, 22:26
Originally posted by Ramrod
These 'experts', are they the same ones who today decided (after 30 years of saying the opposit) that boys do need to engage in rough-and-tumble and games with guns?

What, at last the 'experts' acknowledge what the rest of the world has always known?

I find it hard not to immediately dislike anyone who calls themself an 'expert' in anything...

Martin
13-07-2003, 00:00
For goodness sake I was playing out on my bike and a quick peck on the cheek at 16!!! Now girls at 12 are having babies. I think things have gone mad, these things shouldn't be happening. I don't think educating them will work out. Kids should be enjoying there youth, not out having sex. Plenty of time for that later. Kids are old before there time these days without having the pressure of going out to work.

Xaccers
13-07-2003, 00:07
When I were a lad, we had other things to do, that gave us a childhood, like a stream to dam, and trees to climb, we had parks with swings and climbing frames and see-saws and even slides!
Then the council came in and flattened the parks, and the media came along and told our parents that there were suddenly terrible scary men in the woods.

These days, I don't know how kids can have a childhood full of fun and play.
Parents are too scared to let them play out, not that there's anywhere other than the street for them to play.

Martin
13-07-2003, 00:16
Yep you have a point there Xaccers, times have changed. For the worst in many ways. I always get slated for saying about the good old days but they really where fun times.

homealone
13-07-2003, 00:20
Originally posted by Xaccers
When I were a lad, we had other things to do, that gave us a childhood, like a stream to dam, and trees to climb, we had parks with swings and climbing frames and see-saws and even slides!
Then the council came in and flattened the parks, and the media came along and told our parents that there were suddenly terrible scary men in the woods.

These days, I don't know how kids can have a childhood full of fun and play.
Parents are too scared to let them play out, not that there's anywhere other than the street for them to play.

with you there Xaccers

remember the Witches Hat?

kronas
13-07-2003, 00:29
Originally posted by Martin
Yep you have a point there Xaccers, times have changed. For the worst in many ways. I always get slated for saying about the good old days but they really where fun times.

im sure in your day things were alot calmer and more secluded

Xaccers
13-07-2003, 00:45
im sure in your day things were alot calmer and more secluded

How do you mean Kronas?

kronas
13-07-2003, 00:48
Originally posted by Xaccers
How do you mean Kronas?

you see from older people i generally get 'in my day we all used to work at your age down the coal mines bleh bleh' things have changed maybe for the worse or better but its down to the parents to take control of there kids.........

Xaccers
13-07-2003, 01:05
oi I'm only 26 :D

It's the people of my generation +10 years or so who are screwing things up.
It's as if they want everything handed to them.

Be a parent? That's far too much hard work, the goverment should do that!

Martin
13-07-2003, 01:32
I'm 33 and things have changed.;) Yes its down to the parents. If I had children I could say but I don't so I won't.;)

kronas
13-07-2003, 02:10
Originally posted by Martin
I'm 33 and things have changed.;) Yes its down to the parents. If I had children I could say but I don't so I won't.;)

sorry i did not mean to quote you it was a general comment about the maturer folk around :)

Martin
13-07-2003, 02:15
sorry i did not mean to quote you it was a general comment about the maturer folk around :)

No Worries:) I agree with your earlier points though.:)

dieselking
13-07-2003, 10:53
I think 5 years old is far too young for kids to start learning about sex. Little kids don't need to know that kind of stuff at such an early age. At 5 they should be playing & having fun not learning about adult stuff. Kids have sex far too young these days anyway so if schools are going to start sex education, I think it should be during the 1st or 2nd year of secondary school when kids are 11/12 years old

Maggy
13-07-2003, 11:59
Hmm!
I'm a parent.
I'm also a teacher.
I see what happens when parents DON'T talk to their children about sex at any age.This is possibly why we have the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe although religion and culture may also play a large part in the differences between countries.

DON'T leave it to school, teach your children about this yourself.

Children are maturing much earlier than they were in my day.I began my cycle when I was 12 and I was unusual.Now it is much more common for girls to begin puberty much earlier than my generation did.They need to be forwarned of all and every consequence.

I had another baby when my eldest was 5.I began to talk to her about where babies came from when she asked why I was getting fat(ter).I had to keep it simple so I got Clare Raynors book for young children with lots of pictures.Children will ask simple questions at this age and expect simple answers.They don't need long words so use the ones they understand.

I do not as a parent and as a teacher subscribe to the 'keep them ignorant and teenage pregnancies will go down in number' as this never worked BEFORE sex education was provided in schools.
I know no parent likes to contemplate the thought that their child will one day become sexually active.However the day will come when they are.Better that you have protected,warned,advised and helped them rather than leaving it to 'experts'.There is only one set of experts when it comes to your children and that is you as parent/s.

Incog.
:)

Chris
13-07-2003, 13:28
Originally posted by dieselking
I think 5 years old is far too young for kids to start learning about sex. Little kids don't need to know that kind of stuff at such an early age. At 5 they should be playing & having fun not learning about adult stuff. Kids have sex far too young these days anyway so if schools are going to start sex education, I think it should be during the 1st or 2nd year of secondary school when kids are 11/12 years old

What?!

I think you should read Incognitas' post above mine for some very useful advice. We knew enough about sex to do it by the time we were 11/12, but not enough to avoid getting in trouble.

Sex education needs to be started way, way before that age. It needs to be started before the rumours start flying round school. And it should be the parents that do it.

dieselking
13-07-2003, 15:00
What?!

I think you should read Incognitas' post above mine for some very useful advice. We knew enough about sex to do it by the time we were 11/12, but not enough to avoid getting in trouble.

Sex education needs to be started way, way before that age. It needs to be started before the rumours start flying round school. And it should be the parents that do it.

Sorry Towny, you're right, parents should be the ones who tell kids about sex, but not all of them do. (u can tell I don't have kids)

kronas
13-07-2003, 15:04
Originally posted by dieselking
Sorry Towny, you're right, parents should be the ones who tell kids about sex, but not all of them do. (u can tell I don't have kids)

the thing is parents dont tell there kids about it parents are usally busy with work or have a reliance on the schools to teach them everything they also tend to brush aside questions when asked due to the sheer embarrassment.....

Graham
13-07-2003, 23:02
Originally posted by Incognitas
Hmm! I'm a parent.I'm also a teacher.
I see what happens when parents DON'T talk to their children about sex at any age.This is possibly why we have the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe although religion and culture may also play a large part in the differences between countries.

DON'T leave it to school, teach your children about this yourself.

I agree entirely, parents need to take a lot more responsibility for their children, but these days pressures from work are such that they don't always have time even if they *can* be bothered to take an interest :(

Children are maturing much earlier than they were in my day

Yes, but I'm sure I don't need to point out that this is a very modern phenomenon. For the vast majority of history "childhood" as a concept has not existed. Children didn't spend 16 years at school, they were working on the farms or in the factories or wherever and there were attempts to "protect" them from all that nasty stuff out there in the Real World (tm).

I do not as a parent and as a teacher subscribe to the 'keep them ignorant and teenage pregnancies will go down in number' as this never worked BEFORE sex education was provided in schools.

I once saw a documentary where a group of Dutch kids (a country with one of the *lowest* rates of teen pregnancies) were shown UK "Sex education" material and they were laughing their socks off at how coy and useless it was. Dutch children get told the *truth* and from an age *before* they will actually need the information, not some years after.

Would that we could be so sensible :(

danielf
13-07-2003, 23:20
so called 'experts' have recommended that children from 5 years old should be taught sex education the scheme would not go in to too much detail but would start with basics so that the child would understand

This is from post #1. Now if you ignore the 'experts' bit (and maybe the words sex education), I think it may not entail much more than telling kids where babies come from. There surely is no mention of 'waer a rubber kids, or you'll get aids'.

What's wrong with telling kids where babies come from. When I was a kid (I'm 37) we were talking about sha**ing (without knowing what it was) at the age of eight...

Kids these days are a little wiser. I don't think the question is should they be told at an early age, the question is: what should they be told at an early age?

Chris
13-07-2003, 23:26
Originally posted by danielf
Kids these days are a little wiser. I don't think the question is should they be told at an early age, the question is: what should they be told at an early age?

I agree with you entirely, except for one word. Kids may know more at an earlier age, but they certainly aren't wiser. Wisdom comes with age and experience. The illusion of wisdom just causes trouble. The problem is, too many kids think they are wise.

kronas
13-07-2003, 23:28
I agree with you entirely, except for one word. Kids may know more at an earlier age, but they certainly aren't wiser. Wisdom comes with age and experience. The illusion of wisdom just causes trouble. The problem is, too many kids think they are wise.

i dont think so some just dont know the pitfalls they think it will be ok and they can get away with it..............

danielf
13-07-2003, 23:29

Agreed entirely. Wrong choice of word on my part, but you understood the meaning ;)

Chris
13-07-2003, 23:31
Originally posted by danielf
Agreed entirely. Wrong choice of word on my part, but you understood the meaning ;)

Totally ... I know what you mean, I just think a lot of kids don't ;)

danielf
13-07-2003, 23:35
Totally ... I know what you mean, I just think a lot of kids don't ;)

Yes, but your Dad might me saying that to mine when talking about us. And You know what? They'd probably be right...:D

Martin
14-07-2003, 09:25

Yep agree with that, kids think they know it all. I'm 33 and still can learn something I didn't know. I think some kids are just very arrogant. How often do we here that a girl at 15 has been attacked walking home at 1.00am after a night of partying. Its down to the parents to protect them.

Yes educate them but like someone said earlier every kid is different.