PDA

View Full Version : Problem getting Broadband to work with Actiontec wireless router

jimspong
21-03-2004, 09:52
OK, here's the story. We upgrade to broadband with ntl, they tell us that the cable from the stb won't be long enough, they recommend we get one of their wireless routers. We recieve it. We notice it doesn't come with any documentation, but I can work it out OK. I set up the router downstairs, install the router software upstairs and plug in the wireless USB adapter. At the end of the install, it tries to connect us to the ntl website...
and nothing happens.
I tried de-activating proxies, but that didn't work. I don't know what to do. Please help!
If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

erol
21-03-2004, 10:04
One thing to check

The NTL stb / cable modem requires that the MAC address of the machine or router (in this case) is registered with it. If you change from a PC connected to a router connected you either have to

1) Get the router to 'pretend' it has the same MAC address that the previously connected PC had

OR

2) Register the mac address of the router with the stb/cm

To do 2 I think you power everything down. Leave it a few mins. Power it up and try going to any webpage. You should then be 'forced' to the NTL / MAC registration process.

HTH

paulyoung666
21-03-2004, 10:45
i wonder why the hell the said you needed a wireless router , hang on a minute , stu where are you , something to get stuck into here i reckon :D :D :D

threadbare
21-03-2004, 12:21
OK, here's the story. We upgrade to broadband with ntl, they tell us that the cable from the stb won't be long enough, they recommend we get one of their wireless routers. We recieve it. We notice it doesn't come with any documentation, but I can work it out OK. I set up the router downstairs, install the router software upstairs and plug in the wireless USB adapter. At the end of the install, it tries to connect us to the ntl website...
and nothing happens.
I tried de-activating proxies, but that didn't work. I don't know what to do. Please help!
If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.proxies wont help here as they dont cache secure pages

once you have followed erol's advice try access autoreg by typing in 80.5.172.26

jimspong
24-03-2004, 16:25
Er... OK. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I didn't understand any of that. Can you perhaps 'rephrase' it, please?

Neil
24-03-2004, 16:27
Er... OK. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I didn't understand any of that. Can you perhaps 'rephrase' it, please?

Have you rung ntl?

I am presuming this is an Actiontec wireless router? (if so, then you need to ring them for Tech Support)

Stuartbe
24-03-2004, 16:28
Guys - we need to * deactivate tech mode * here ! (poor guy)

Sorry Jimspong - we get a bit caried away sometimes :D

Do you have any firewalls on any of the pc systems ?

BarFly
24-03-2004, 16:40
proxies wont help here as they dont cache secure pages

once you have followed erol's advice try access autoreg by typing in 80.5.172.26 Hi Guys,

sorry but the reg address for STB is either

Start.ntl

or

172.16.30.83/84

place in these in the address bar & this should take you to the provisioning page, but you do have to have proxies disabled

there you need to have the PID no. & password as per the welcolm the letter, You then click on "add" call it router ( or anything really ) then this will link to the autoreg site to reg for e-mail.

Hope it helps