PDA

View Full Version : Proxy Problem?

Spurs007
20-03-2004, 12:29
Hi, whenever I click a link on some forums I visit, instead of opening the thread, it opens the download box? As soon as I change the proxy, no problem, straight in. Can anyone help? As if its not already a hassle changing the proxy every 10 minutes, I now have to do it every 30 seconds :D

th'engineer
20-03-2004, 13:46
What area are you in

Ignition
20-03-2004, 14:17
Not a proxy problem - I note changing proxy resolves the issue 'temporarily' for you suggesting you've used a number of them. If this were the case everyone would be enjoying these same symptoms and I'd imagine we'd have a lot more people jumping up and down.

Which browser? If IE reinstall the latest version to restore associations, registry entries and settings, if a Mozilla based browser try and reinstall using a supplied installer.

Sounds very very client side though, I can't see any way a proxy would do this, more to the point why only you would suffer - they just retrieve, store and forward html and images, and are unlikely to do much with forum pages as they are dynamically generated.

Chris W
20-03-2004, 15:10
Hi, whenever I click a link on some forums I visit, instead of opening the thread, it opens the download box? As soon as I change the proxy, no problem, straight in. Can anyone help? As if its not already a hassle changing the proxy every 10 minutes, I now have to do it every 30 seconds :D

when you say 'download box' what exactly is it trying to download? is it a language pack/ plugin/ file download or something else?

Spurs007
20-03-2004, 17:52
when you say 'download box' what exactly is it trying to download? is it a language pack/ plugin/ file download or something else?

Sorry, didnt explain myself properly, its only on my default proxy that this happens, as soon as I change to another one, the problem does not occur. It actually tries to download the thread Im trying to view, instead of letting me see it. Im In the St. Albans area, so am on the Luton Proxys

Stuartbe
20-03-2004, 17:57
The Luton proxy servers are totaly useless at the moment m8... Stay on another proxy that is not Luton based.

Florence
20-03-2004, 20:14
The Luton proxy servers are totaly useless at the moment m8... Stay on another proxy that is not Luton based.
thank you JustAnotherNoob and Stuartbe sure its only luton proxies though..

What sort of finanacial gain does proxies give a company?
Also What do they cost to set up from equipment to wages for maintenance?

Just curios....

:welcome: Spurs007 to the community hope you enjoy visiting these forums. The admin team have some good changes planned....

th'engineer
20-03-2004, 21:31
Not a proxy problem - I note changing proxy resolves the issue 'temporarily' for you suggesting you've used a number of them. If this were the case everyone would be enjoying these same symptoms and I'd imagine we'd have a lot more people jumping up and down.

Which browser? If IE reinstall the latest version to restore associations, registry entries and settings, if a Mozilla based browser try and reinstall using a supplied installer.

Sounds very very client side though, I can't see any way a proxy would do this, more to the point why only you would suffer - they just retrieve, store and forward html and images, and are unlikely to do much with forum pages as they are dynamically generated.not a proxy problem again :Yes: client again is this not getting a little bit boring:rofl:

Paul
20-03-2004, 22:38
not a proxy problem again :Yes: client again is this not getting a little bit boring:rofl:

no more boring than your continual snipes :rolleyes:

th'engineer
20-03-2004, 23:46
no more boring than your continual snipes :rolleyes:
At least if NTL listened there would be no need for anyone to snipe, the service would work properley.

RF and digital engineering is not rocket science