PDA

View Full Version : MOHAA Game Hosting - Running As Server

skyblueheroes
19-03-2004, 12:25
My future brother in law has MOHAA/SH etc and I want to host a game between us.

Whats the best way of doing this ? Sorry but you're talking to a fairly non-techy person, so it may need spelling out :rolleyes:

I have an adsl modem/router/hub, and I can configure that as I see best. Do I need to just open a port ? Can I just pick one (or how do I find out port numbers) ?

KingPhoenix
19-03-2004, 14:15
i wouldnt bother on a home internet connection...... maybe for 1 on 1 it wouldnt be to bad,

All you do is goto multiplayer in SH and click the start server option (or something like that, it might even say host game, or server..... i will have a look and post the exact details when i get home

Also the details in that page will allow you to decide which maps are played, passwords and stuff like that :)

Normally it runs on port 12203 but thats settable, and you will need to open that port in any firewall or router config options you may have

KP

P.S. i would recommend this be moved to a diff forum, as you will get more response from the other forum members.......

skyblueheroes
19-03-2004, 14:46
Yep, fair enough. Ta.

I have seen and set up the server options - thats all fairly straightforward - its the opening a port issue which seems a kerfuffle.

Caspar
19-03-2004, 15:43
Moved to the PC Gaming forum :)

Chris W
19-03-2004, 16:17
are you living in the same house and trying to play on your home network or trying to host an internet?

to be honest, the max 256k upload wont give you a good game if you host it.

Best thing to do imo is to find a server that no-one else is playing on and just have a 1 on 1 there. I dont play MOHAA myself, but on WolfensteinET i find there are usually a good few servers with nobody on.

Richard M
19-03-2004, 16:45
1v1 shouldn't really matter, I've hosted 6 people playing Ghost Recon on 1MBit before.

KingPhoenix
19-03-2004, 18:01
SH is more bandwidth intensive than BF1942 ;) hence a home connection is not ideal :(