PDA

View Full Version : Not me!

NoBB
17-03-2004, 09:41
I don't know if this has been covered already - probably has - sorry if so - anyway problem is that I get loads of spam and junk email - they are not addressed to any of my ntl email addresses, but similar names to them - can't ntl ensure that I ONLY get emails that are addressed to one of my email addresses registered with them. Surely that would not be too difficult - or would it?
:confused:

seaneeboy
17-03-2004, 09:43
Hi NoBB, Welcome to NTHellworld!

Which email programme are you using? It should be easy enough to set up a rule for this - I'll happily walk you through it :)

NoBB
17-03-2004, 09:45
Hi NoBB, Welcome to NTHellworld!

Which email programme are you using? It should be easy enough to set up a rule for this - I'll happily walk you through it :)
Thanx for the offer, I can set up rules, but the thing is, I shouldn't really have to, as I am getting junk mail that is not even addressed to me - surely ntl should set up filters to ensure that only stuff addressed to registered names gets through? :confused:

Neil
17-03-2004, 09:46
Thanx for the offer, I can set up rules, but the thing is, I shouldn't really have to, as I am getting junk mail that is not even addressed to me - surely ntl should set up filters to ensure that only stuff addressed to registered names gets through? :confused:

They don't 'm afraid.

seaneeboy
17-03-2004, 09:49
No worries.

The problem with setting up that kind of filter is it's very difficult to make it work on just spam emails, and ignore ligitimate emails wheer you have been added as a BCC... My email programme at work even assumes any email you recieve where you aren't directly in the TO or the CC means you MUST be a BCC. just using that presumtion would mean every main would get to you :(

I think they're more focussing on getting the servers to reliably deliver mail first - then they'll focus on getting rid of the spam :/

Hope that helps.

threadbare
17-03-2004, 12:50
the ntl mail filters work on the source IP - if its a known spammer then it blocked. the fat is you email add is listed in the mails as BCC - thats why you cant see it. the mail servers are in effect sending mail that is addressed to you. you clould report the smap to smahaus as I believe this is one of the list that ntl use to block spammers

tkiely
17-03-2004, 13:27
Since moving to freedom2surf, I havn't had a single SPAM email.....what a relief

http://www.freedom2surf.net/announcements/announce14.php?subsection=adsl

NoBB
17-03-2004, 14:08
the ntl mail filters work on the source IP - if its a known spammer then it blocked. the fat is you email add is listed in the mails as BCC - thats why you cant see it. the mail servers are in effect sending mail that is addressed to you. you clould report the smap to smahaus as I believe this is one of the list that ntl use to block spammersI can actually see who the mail is addressed to - It's not me! For example, if my email addy was johnsmith@ntlworld.com I receive mail addressed to things like johnbloggs@ntlworld.com, joesmith@ntlworld.com (joesmith@ntlworld.com) etc. - basically anything that resembles or is part of my addy.!
:sleep:

threadbare
17-03-2004, 14:38
I can actually see who the mail is addressed to - It's not me! For example, if my email addy was johnsmith@ntlworld.com I receive mail addressed to things like johnbloggs@ntlworld.com, joesmith@ntlworld.com (joesmith@ntlworld.com) etc. - basically anything that resembles or is part of my addy.!
:sleep:it is impossible to get email that is uninstended for you. your email add will be lsited as a Blind Carbon Copy - thats why you cant see it

NoBB
17-03-2004, 14:52
it is impossible to get email that is uninstended for you. your email add will be lsited as a Blind Carbon Copy - thats why you cant see it
OK Ta!:tu: