PDA

View Full Version : Swapping rooms???!

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 20:03
Hiya,
Good thing i found this forum otherwise i would be totaly lost! :)
anyway im moving into the bedroom across from me which means the broadband access point would have to be moved across, how much would ntl charge for this, i have been told around £60, which if so then i will just be cancelling ntl BB & get an extra line put in & get ADSL(yes i know would have to swap to BT)
anyway can anyone please shed some light onto this?

Theodoric
13-03-2004, 20:16
Hiya,
anyway im moving into the bedroom across from me which means the broadband access point would have to be moved across, how much would ntl charge for this, i have been told around £60, which if so then i will just be cancelling ntl BB & get an extra line put in & get ADSL(yes i know would have to swap to BT)
The good news: I asked this very question a while ago and got a number of replies.

The bad news: I can't remember what I called the thread!

I'm sure that some kind person can enlighten us.

paulyoung666
13-03-2004, 20:17
hi and :welcome: to the site HitEmUp , have you not got any spare coax going into the modem ???????? , or could you not leave the modem where it is and get a longer patch cable :)

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 20:30
hiya, thankyou paul :)
what do you mean by any spare coax going into the modem(i take it you mean the black coax wire) there is abit but not enough to reach to other bedroom i dont think

paulyoung666
13-03-2004, 20:32
hiya, thankyou paul :)
what do you mean by any spare coax going into the modem(i take it you mean the black coax wire) there is abit but not enough to reach to other bedroom i dont think

ok , so is there anything to stop you leaving the modem where it is and using a longer patch cable to get you where you want , i believe ntl's charge is £50 :erm:

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 20:34
well im swapping bedrooms with my parents(there's is bigger, i need the extra space)
so cant really leave it where it is now, plus my mum would go switching it off on me at like 2 in the morning, lol

Paul
13-03-2004, 20:47
Hiya,

Um, do you think BT will install it all for free :confused:

paulyoung666
13-03-2004, 20:51
Um, do you think BT will install it all for free :confused:

they might for the buisness :)

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 20:52
i have already spoken to BT & i have been told i would have BT re-enabled for free + free installation which is tempting me.
im not willing to pay £50 to move from one part of the wall to another.

paulyoung666
13-03-2004, 20:53
i have already spoken to BT & i have been told i would have BT re-enabled for free + free installation which is tempting me.

so it is take your pick time , unless you ask ntl for a freebie to keep your custom ;)

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 20:56
so it is take your pick time , unless you ask ntl for a freebie to keep your custom ;)
i might just do that, i know a few people that have :D
do you think they will though, like no offense but £50 is very expensive just to move abit of wire across!

Chrysalis
13-03-2004, 20:57
yeah thats what I would do, if the installation cost is the only thing outting you off then offer to stay with ntl if they drop the installation charge, I would imagine they will agree.

Paul
13-03-2004, 21:07

Does that free installation include all the ADSL bits (like modem) ?

homealone
13-03-2004, 21:19
do you think they will though, like no offense but £50 is very expensive just to move abit of wire across!

worth a try - best of luck :)

£50 isn't OTT, though - imo. In my case all the cables from the box on the front of my house are routed on the outside walls - 2 downstairs & 2 upstairs. Say i wanted to move an upstairs one, they could shorten or extend the cable, drill the wall & fit the new access point, fairly easily - but I don't think they should do it for free?

I have to declare an interest, in that I am hoping my son moves out soon, so we can have more space & my wife can share the router, not him :pp

wheeliebin
13-03-2004, 21:27

Can i ask why you think £50 is dear to move the cable ?

If you think NTL would be making money on this then you would be wrong. It costs a lot more than £50 for NTL to do this.

dave_herts
13-03-2004, 21:33
How about getting a coax splitter and running a longer cable to the new room?. Maplins sell the parts, or you can buy ready made kits from Ebay.

paulyoung666
13-03-2004, 21:36
How about getting a coax splitter and running a longer cable to the new room?. Maplins sell the parts, or you can buy ready made kits from Ebay.

hi and :welcome: to the site , you dont really want to be playing with the coax :(

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 21:57
i could do but it seems like alot of hassle?
& i dont care if they are making money off it or not, £50 to extend abit of cable in my opinion is NOT worth it.

wheeliebin
13-03-2004, 22:20
i could do but it seems like alot of hassle?
& i dont care if they are making money off it or not, £50 to extend abit of cable in my opinion is NOT worth it.

Well it strikes me as a poor attitude. People demand top class service and complain when service falls well short (rightly so). Yet some people expect something for nothing all the time. The equation does not add up. For a company to offer good service they have to spend the right amount of money to be in a position to offer such service. It makes me laugh when people demand something for nothing and threaten to leave.

How much do you think BT would charge to move your phone line if requested ?

£58.75 for the call out and £40.25 to move the socket.

These things do NOT happen for free.

Here are just some of the things to consider.

Man power
Tooling
Vehicle
Consumables
Administration

Who do you think ultimately will pay for this work if you do not ?

All the other customers that's who.

Chris W
13-03-2004, 22:21
Well it strikes me as a poor attitude. People demand top class service and complain when service falls well short (rightly so). Yet some people expect something for nothing all the time. The equation does not add up. For a company to offer good service they have to spend the right amount of money to be in a position to offer such service. It makes me laugh when people demand something for nothing and threaten to leave.

Man power
Tooling
Vehicle
Consumables
Administration

here here :tu: :tu:

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 22:26

Man power
Tooling
Vehicle
Consumables
Administration

i understand where you are coming from but i dont get the service i pay for from ntl(quite alot of downtime, often slow) but i have been an ntl customer for over 5 years now, my money is tight, i cant work due to illness so i have to use benefits(which isnt much btw) £50 is ALOT of money when you do not have it, bare in mind the bedroom im moving into is right next to this one & £50 for that bit of distance just doesnt seem worth it.

wheeliebin
13-03-2004, 22:36
i understand where you are coming from but i dont get the service i pay for from ntl(quite alot of downtime, often slow) but i have been an ntl customer for over 5 years now, my money is tight, i cant work due to illness so i have to use benefits(which isnt much btw) £50 is ALOT of money when you do not have it, bare in mind the bedroom im moving into is right next to this one & £50 for that bit of distance just doesnt seem worth it.

I dont understand really to be honest mate. If i was with a service provider and they offered me a poor service for five whole years, i would have to ask myself why i was still with that provider.
If you do switch to BT then make sure that you dont move to another room and expect them to do a freebie. Cos BT wont.
Mind you ill bet NTL WILL do it for a freebie. A lot of customers do see them as a soft touch in that respect (in my experience anyway).

Im not sure what you would expect for £50 , but as i have tried to explain, it isnt a lot of money to move the cable to the next room. :erm:

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 22:40
I dont understand really to be honest mate. If i was with a service provider and they offered me a poor service for five whole years, i would have to ask myself why i was still with that provider.
If you do switch to BT then make sure that you dont move to another room and expect them to do a freebie. Cos BT wont.
Mind you ill bet NTL WILL do it for a freebie. A lot of customers do see them as a soft touch in that respect (in my experience anyway).

Im not sure what you would expect for £50 , but as i have tried to explain, it isnt a lot of money to move the cable to the next room. :erm:
when i first got ntl it was good(mind you, it was diamond cable back in them days)
the service hasnt been that bad but recently it has been utter crap but it seems to be fixed right now, i like ntl, usually everything works so would like to stay with them, i pay for the net & also have to pay board & so on, as im on benefits, i only have abit of money to spare so spending £50 to move from one room to another kind of puts me off.
i would be stopping in that room, well i will be ringing ntl in the morning, see what they say.

wheeliebin
13-03-2004, 22:44
when i first got ntl it was good(mind you, it was diamond cable back in them days)
the service hasnt been that bad but recently it has been utter crap but it seems to be fixed right now, i like ntl, usually everything works so would like to stay with them, i pay for the net & also have to pay board & so on, as im on benefits, i only have abit of money to spare so spending £50 to move from one room to another kind of puts me off.
i would be stopping in that room, well i will be ringing ntl in the morning, see what they say.

Ill tell you what mate if you live in Manchester or Stockport ill come and do it free for you.

That way you will get what you want and NTL wont have to foot the bill

:D

EDIT: ignore that i have just realised you were an ex diamond cust ...ill get my coat!

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 22:47
Ill tell you what mate if you live in Manchester or Stockport ill come and do it free for you.

That way you will get what you want and NTL wont have to foot the bill

:D

EDIT: ignore that i have just realised you were an ex diamond cust ...ill get my coat!
2 bad i live in nottinghamshire!!!!
lol
well i hope ntl cut the price a little, icant really afford £50 :(

wheeliebin
13-03-2004, 22:48
2 bad i live in nottinghamshire!!!!
lol
well i hope ntl cut the price a little, icant really afford £50 :(

Im sure they will :)

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 22:49
Im sure they will :)
well i hope so, i have £40 left, board = £10 & i need to buy some food tomorrow, i might have £20 left :(

Racingdick
13-03-2004, 22:53
Hang on, you live with your parents, your on benifits, you have broadband.

Think yourself lucky pal! for the sake of a longer enet cable your threatening to leave?

Get real pal! Life aint easy and things arent handed to you on a plate

Chris W
13-03-2004, 22:54
you could always drop your speed for a month, in that time you would save enough with what you have got already to nearly pay for it. ;)

iadom
13-03-2004, 22:54

Man power
Tooling
Vehicle
Consumables
Administration

Average call out cost from manufacturers in my trade is £75 to £90. and that is for unlimited time ,which could be as little as 1 minute. £50 is well below the average call out charge for major front line service these days. It is charges such as this that keep me busy.:)

Racingdick
13-03-2004, 22:57
you could always drop your speed for a month, in that time you would save enough with what you have got already to nearly pay for it. ;)
Bet he's on a 1MBit connection....;)

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 22:57
Hang on, you live with your parents, your on benifits, you have broadband.

Think yourself lucky pal! for the sake of a longer enet cable your threatening to leave?

Get real pal! Life aint easy and things arent handed to you on a plateyes i live with my parents, im on benefits(i want to work, but cant) & i pay for my broadband access, i dont really think im that lucky, due to my illness i cant really get out alot, who's lucky?!
im not threatening to leave, i got offered free connection to BT & free installation for ADSL, wouldnt you be tempted to swap over(and the fact i can get 2mbit ADSL in my area for £2 cheaper than NTL's 1mbit BB)

Paul
13-03-2004, 23:01

ex Diamond :D :wavey:

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 23:02
ex Diamond :D :wavey::pp , wasnt that the days, seeing the big diamond cable posters everywhere?
back when we had analogue tv & dial up!!!

wheeliebin
13-03-2004, 23:04
yes i live with my parents, im on benefits(i want to work, but cant) & i pay for my broadband access, i dont really think im that lucky, due to my illness i cant really get out alot, who's lucky?!
im not threatening to leave, i got offered free connection to BT & free installation for ADSL, wouldnt you be tempted to swap over(and the fact i can get 2mbit ADSL in my area for £2 cheaper than NTL's 1mbit BB)

I actually agree with what you are saying to a certain extent. I do also appreciate your position. Im lucky that i can go out and work for a living and im also healthy. Health is something many of us take for granted. It must be hard for you.
You also have an option to get a BT free install etc etc and i dont blame you for thinking about that option. NTL are also currently offering free BB installation too.

My point is about a company charging a fair amount of money for a service requested.
Also that BT would definately charge you no matter how much you threatened to leave them.

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 23:07
I actually agree with what you are saying to a certain extent. I do also appreciate your position. Im lucky that i can go out and work for a living and im also healthy. Health is something many of us take for granted. It must be hard for you.
You also have an option to get a BT free install etc etc and i dont blame you for thinking about that option. NTL are also currently offering free BB installation too.

My point is about a company charging a fair amount of money for a service requested.
Also that BT would definately charge you no matter how much you threatened to leave them.firstly, thanks :) it is hard but i get along just fine, i do get out sometimes.
im very tempted by bt's offer etc.
if i had £50 i wouldnt mind payin them, but i cant afford it, my parents wont pay because they dont pay for the net, i do, its nothing to do with them plus i dont like to smootch off my parents.
im hoping they will cut off some of the price when i ring, but if they offer to do it for free then wahoo :D

wheeliebin
13-03-2004, 23:08
:pp , wasnt that the days, seeing the big diamond cable posters everywhere?
back when we had analogue tv & dial up!!!

I actually had Broadband before dial up.

Back in the days of Nynex we ran a broadband trial of about 100 cable modems (motorola brand....like a big brick they were :) )
I was lucky enough to be involved with installing this for the trialists and configuring their PC etc etc so i got installed too ;)

This was at a time when it was unheard of for someone to have residential broadband. Maybe the lucky few had ISDN.

It was a huge dissappointment when i had to get dial up i can tell you....

Racingdick
13-03-2004, 23:11
Isnt NTL at an advantage where you can have BB without having a phone line?
If im right you need to pay BT for the line rental that the ADSL comes through?.

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 23:11
I actually had Broadband before dial up.

Back in the days of Nynex we ran a broadband trial of about 100 cable modems (motorola brand....like a big brick they were :) )
I was lucky enough to be involved with installing this for the trialists and configuring their PC etc etc so i got installed too ;)

This was at a time when it was unheard of for someone to have residential broadband. Maybe the lucky few had ISDN.

It was a huge dissappointment when i had to get dial up i can tell you....
i remember having dial-up, i thought it was great, pretty fast.
when i got BB, all that changed i tell ya....

lucky you, like big bricks? lol like the old mobile phone days?
what year was that?

wheeliebin
13-03-2004, 23:13
i remember having dial-up, i thought it was great, pretty fast.
when i got BB, all that changed i tell ya....

lucky you, like big bricks? lol like the old mobile phone days?
what year was that?

It must have been about 1996-97

HitEmUp
13-03-2004, 23:15
It must have been about 1996-97
96 - 97, cant remember which dial up isp i was with then but i remember it being fairly cheap :)

Racingdick
13-03-2004, 23:18
I think we should chill a little and have some fun and games

http://www.andrewconner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pinguxtreme.swf

i can just about get to 900 or so

Marge
13-03-2004, 23:25
I think we should chill a little and have some fun and games

http://www.andrewconner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pinguxtreme.swf

i can just about get to 900 or so

Not this damm game again, I couldn't do it last time either :cry: :dunce:

Racingdick
13-03-2004, 23:27
lol... just swing at the pingu or whatever its called..

here's the link for all the other games

http://www.andrewconner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk (http://www.andrewconner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/)

Chris W
13-03-2004, 23:53
lol... just swing at the pingu or whatever its called..

here's the link for all the other games

http://www.andrewconner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk (http://www.andrewconner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/)

:notopic:

Jonboy
14-03-2004, 00:00
It allways gets my back up when people moan about havein to pay for an engineer to call and either move or repair an appliance etc, do you not realise that to get a engineer to your door cost money X that by many calls to many houses and you are into alot of money, if you owned a car repair shop i doubt if you would give your services for free so its only fair to expect to pay for a service you cant do yourself after all the person who is doing the job needs money to live as well i agree £50 is alot but no more than you would blow on a weekend at the boozer etc if you dont want to pay measure up how much cable you need pop along to somewhere like maplins and get an extention cable knocked up then drill a hole in the wall turn your modem off at the mains connect up the extention lead switch back on and away you go simple :Peaceman:

dave_herts
14-03-2004, 11:49
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29784&item=3083855786

This is the typical sort of "kit" that will do the job, all for less than £20. Your Parents could then have an analogue feed in their new room!