PDA

View Full Version : [merged] Broadband Plus

nicko
13-03-2004, 14:30
Is Broadband Plus down at the moment?, I have not been able to access it in two days here in Stoke on Trent.

Nikko
13-03-2004, 15:08
Is Broadband Plus down at the moment?, I have not been able to access it in two days here in Stoke on Trent.

No its not working for me either.

Tried if from the ntlhome page too - still nothing

Welcome to NTHW by the way - Oh - and I like the choice of nic! ;)

paulyoung666
13-03-2004, 15:13
just checked and it is greyed out on ntlworld.com :(

Chris W
13-03-2004, 15:51
BB plus working ok for me here... have you tried using a proxy server?

try accessing www.ntlworld.com/broadbandplus

IanUK
13-03-2004, 15:53
Not working here either, using an external proxy works though.
Seems like a problem with NTL proxies from here.

Ian

iadom
13-03-2004, 18:45
BB plus working ok for me here... have you tried using a proxy server?

try accessing www.ntlworld.com/broadbandplus (http://www.ntlworld.com/broadbandplus)That link is dead as dodo for me as well. And as this area has just had 6 new proxy servers turned on, after over 12 months of proxy free heaven it is not brilliant, only glad that I am on 3 months free trial of BB+ , what proxies are you using ATM ?

Paul
13-03-2004, 19:08
Working here today - but I know it wasn't yesterday.

Chris W
13-03-2004, 19:24
I am not using a specified proxy, and as far as i can remember i go through Swansea 1
(213.105.224.4) can't remember for definate though... i'm working now though so haven't been able to check it since i posted earlier

nicko
15-03-2004, 14:58
Go to this page http://www.ntlworld.com

Do any of the broadband Plus links on the Right hand side work for you?

iadom
15-03-2004, 15:18
Go to this page http://www.ntlworld.com (http://www.ntlworld.com/)

Do any of the broadband Plus links on the Right hand side work for you?Nothing, still dead, both the links within the advertising box on the left and the small text links on the right get instant page not displayed error.

iadom
15-03-2004, 17:31
Just tried again and BB+ is now working again.:)

Basisboy
15-03-2004, 19:09
It's working here ... oh no! can anyone help?
(Notice the sarcasim?!)

iadom
15-03-2004, 19:12
It's working here ... oh no! can anyone help?
(Notice the sarcasim?!)
No, but I did notice the (sp) :D

paulyoung666
15-03-2004, 19:14
No, but I did notice the (sp) :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: nice one :D

ricke17
03-04-2004, 10:36
Hi,

I took up the offer of 3 months free Broadband Plus and it is due to expire today - I was supposed to receive an email offering for me to cancel it but this has not been received.

I phoned up good old C/S who were very unhelpful saying I should cancel online - but there is no option!!

HELP!!

Rick.

Derek
03-04-2004, 10:38
It will cancel automatically.

You should receive an E-Mail shortly asking if you are wanting to continue using it. If you don't reply you won't be charged for it.

Russ
03-04-2004, 10:45
What if he doesn't recieve an e-mail? What if it doesn't cancel automatically? What should he do then?

Derek
03-04-2004, 11:05
The charges will NOT go onto anyones bill unless they specifically authorise it.

Honest.

Russ
03-04-2004, 11:26
OK! It's just that the notion of NTL getting this kind of thing wrong and ending up charging someone for a service when they didn't request it is hardly an unheard of concept....but your word is good enough for me :)

David25
03-04-2004, 11:31
The free trial has been extended anyway, so not to worry yet.

ikthius
03-04-2004, 14:59
OK! It's just that the notion of NTL getting this kind of thing wrong and ending up charging someone for a service when they didn't request it is hardly an unheard of concept....but your word is good enough for me :)
Last month it was brought to my attention that I was still paying for a second line although I cancelled it a year ago, I phoned last month, and they said it is now cancelled (again, assured me it wont be on this months bill) and they would refund me the money on to this months bill, still got the line and still paying for something I canelled last year, another phone call I think is needed, with a blazing row on the phone for not getting a simple cancelation correct.

ik

Paul
01-05-2004, 13:23
I got an e-mail last week telling me my three month BBplus trial had been extended.

Flip
01-05-2004, 13:31
Ditto above...anyone actually use it?:pp

homealone
01-05-2004, 13:38
I got an e-mail last week telling me my three month BBplus trial had been extended.

I also got that email - and I'm not signed up for the trial :erm:

lemarsh
01-05-2004, 15:44
Ditto above...anyone actually use it?:pp
Used it about 3 times when it started - but nothing since.

Paul
01-05-2004, 18:42
I registered with my main CM - but am using the trial CM at the moment so I can't use it (can't be bothered to register the trial CM).

Pea-Pod
02-05-2004, 19:11
I got an email along the lines of Extended Free Period

As a valued ntl Broadband customer, we are pleased to inform you that your free trial subscription to Broadband Plus has been automatically extended, without any charge. This gives you further opportunity to access the best music, games and educational services available online.

I've only used it about 3 or 4 times also, they would get more customers if they add Big Brother 5 coverage to it, but then again most people have E4 so maybe not.

setch
02-05-2004, 22:24
I tried to use it, but it is really hit and miss as to whether you get anything to work correctly. Has anybody done a benchmark as to how much of your 1gig limit would go if you were streaming videos all day.

Chrysalis
02-05-2004, 23:36
it would depend on the quality of the videos but if they were 256kbit it would be approx 2.5gig a day.

Chrysalis
02-05-2004, 23:45
I registered with my main CM - but am using the trial CM at the moment so I can't use it (can't be bothered to register the trial CM).

is the trial CM nationwide trial?

Paul
03-05-2004, 00:00
is the trial CM nationwide trial?
Yes. It got a brief mention in the forum somewhere as I recall.

Pea-Pod
08-05-2004, 16:37
Okay, so I used the VideoZone on Broadband plus and despite having a 600k connection the Britney Spears Video (and other's too) Everytime kept stuttering and stalling like Gareth Gates with a bad hair day! Incidently I also use the VideoZone on Realplayer Plus and it's fine on there. I notice that the Video Songs are encoded at a 600kbps bit rate on NTL but only a 250Kbps rate on Realplayer. Hence why NTL's VidZone keeps stalling because I haven't got enough bandwidth from my 600k connection. NTL keep saying though that Broadband Plus is suitable for 600K to 1MB connections. So what are they playing at, encoded Video's at too high a bit rate, I can't downstream them!!! :dozey:

Chris W
08-05-2004, 16:43
Okay, so I used the VideoZone on Broadband plus and despite having a 600k connection the Britney Spears Video (and other's too) Everytime kept stuttering and stalling like Gareth Gates with a bad hair day! Incidently I also use the VideoZone on Realplayer Plus and it's fine on there. I notice that the Video Songs are encoded at a 600kbps bit rate on NTL but only a 250Kbps rate on Realplayer. Hence why NTL's VidZone keeps stalling because I haven't got enough bandwidth from my 600k connection. NTL keep saying though that Broadband Plus is suitable for 600K to 1MB connections. So what are they playing at, encoded Video's at too high a bit rate, I can't downstream them!!! :dozey:

have you tried increasing the receive buffer?

Paul
08-05-2004, 16:53
So what are they playing at, encoded Video's at too high a bit rate, I can't downstream them!!! :dozey:

I doubt they are encoded by NTL ;)

Chris W
08-05-2004, 16:59
I doubt they are encoded by NTL ;)

correct indeed... all done by the content provider... so it is Videozone that have done it :)

Pea-Pod
08-05-2004, 17:16
have you tried increasing the receive buffer?
Do you know how I can do that? :)

Chris W
08-05-2004, 17:51
Do you know how I can do that? :)

which client is it using? does it use windows media player or realone?

Pea-Pod
08-05-2004, 20:22
which client is it using? does it use windows media player or realone?
NTL Broadband Plus (Vidzone) uses Windows Media Player however the same song that was 650kbs earlier this afternoon was now playing @ 476kbs bit rate?? This allowed a smoother, uninterupted playback than perviously.

http://www.vidzone.tv/home.jsp?clientId=bbplus&username=ntl27919&clipid=0&site=wm

Chris W
08-05-2004, 20:27
NTL Broadband Plus (Vidzone) uses Windows Media Player however the same song that was 650kbs earlier this afternoon was now playing @ 476kbs bit rate?? This allowed a smoother, uninterupted playback than perviously.

ok well for future reference...
tools -> options-> performance -> buffer ;)

Pea-Pod
08-05-2004, 21:13
Many thanks :)

Paul
23-05-2004, 16:19
Well I got this today ;

Dear Paul,

Your free trial of Broadband Plus has now expired.

To continue accessing the service and your downloads*, simply add Broadband Plus to your ntl bill.

No credit cards or long contracts, simply click this email to visit Broadband Plus and follow the prompts to add the £3.99 monthly subscription to your ntl bill. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

So I guess no more BB+ for me - not that I will miss it much. :)

arcamalpha2004
24-05-2004, 10:03
Funny that, considering I never even accepted the trial.
Or are they " fishing "?
How many other people in my situation have received the same message from NTL.?

Neil
24-05-2004, 10:20
I received it!! :D

(Thread moved to 'Broadband' Discussion Forum)

1701-e
24-05-2004, 10:20
I received a free web-cam last week from marketing for upgrading my BB- thing is I didn't & I haven't been billed either!!:confused:

zovat
24-05-2004, 11:14
Funny that, considering I never even accepted the trial.
Or are they " fishing "?
How many other people in my situation have received the same message from NTL.?
Got the message, but then I did sign up for the free trial.. :angel:

Defiant
24-05-2004, 11:17
I got the messege. I signed up just to see what they had. Had a laugh and never been back to it

zovat
24-05-2004, 13:54
I got the messege. I signed up just to see what they had. Had a laugh and never been back to it
I was going to ignore the mail - but my wife wants to use it - and she thinks is is worth the cash. :Yikes:

Maybe NTL got it right for some peoples requirements.

Pea-Pod
26-05-2004, 20:11
So I take it no one on this forum at least is taking up the offer to include it on your NTL Phone bill for only £3.99 a month? https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2004/05/3.gif

IanUK
29-05-2004, 19:48
Broadband Plus customers will have access to online content as part
of their subscription
I'm currently still in my free trial period of BBPlus and I can't find this content, does anyone know which section its under ?

Cheers

Ian

Rik
04-06-2004, 10:47
I have subscribed to broadband plus mainly for Vidzone and I added it to my Bill and it worked fine (for a few days) the problem I have now is whenever i go to the url i get the following

Before I call the freephone no can anyone on forums help??

TIA;)

Chris W
04-06-2004, 10:51
I have subscribed to broadband plus mainly for Vidzone and I added it to my Bill and it worked fine (for a few days) the problem I have now is whenever i go to the url i get the following

Before I call the freephone no can anyone on forums help??

TIA;)

when do you get this message? is it when trying to log on to BB plus first of all, or loading a link to a particular partner?

pm me the mac address of your modem, or email address that you registered for BBplus with and i will have a look for you.

MB

Rik
04-06-2004, 21:47
when do you get this message? is it when trying to log on to BB plus first of all, or loading a link to a particular partner?

pm me the mac address of your modem, or email address that you registered for BBplus with and i will have a look for you.

MB
PM Sent mate
Thanks

It happens when I load the www.ntlworld.com/broadbandplus (http://www.ntlworld.com/broadbandplus) url

iadom
14-06-2004, 19:25
Anyone know if BB Plus is working or not, I don't use it a great deal and at the moment I am on my extended (4th) months free trial. I get to the grey page with "Broadband plus has launched" but if I click on the logo in the middle of the screen nothing happens.