PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Modchip and Xbox Live

Defiant
11-07-2003, 03:50
Can it go on Xbox Live if it has a modchip that can be switched off ?

Someone on here must have one of those modchips out their

kronas
11-07-2003, 03:54
if you have a switch to disable your modchip you can go on live

but have your chip enabled and go on live your xbox will be perm banned have a nice day :D :D :D

zoombini
11-07-2003, 10:26
It would perhaps be a good idea, to replace your switch with one that has extra contacts that switch out the network connector pins when the modchip is enabled.

That way, there is no way that you can inadvertantly go online.

The cost of a sub minature 4pco relay is nothing compared to the loss of your live account.

stef290175
24-06-2005, 20:50
got mine from Mod Edit (Matt D): Link removed due to being a) forbidden & b) spam anyway works a treat with xbox live just boot mod disabled feature @)

Tezcatlipoca
24-06-2005, 20:53
got mine from Mod Edit (Matt D): Link removed due to being a) forbidden & b) spam anyway works a treat with xbox live just boot mod disabled feature @)

:welcome:

Sorry, but we don't allow spam, or the posting of links to mod chip shops.

Gareth
24-06-2005, 21:16
What about modding other parts of an Xbox, ie increasing the HDD. I've heard that they also check that all the original components are still in place, as well as whether a mod chip is installed? Any thoughts?

mrlipring
24-06-2005, 21:28
I believe they started banning people with non-standard hard drives when Halo 2 arrived.

I use XBC and Kai, but i'm getting sick of people cheating.

I take it XBox live works the same, someone hosting a game, and others joining, therefore having the same limitations (people in uk not being able to host large games etc due to restricted upstreams)?

I'd be annoyed if i paid for it and found it hard to get a game, or the game was crap due to ping etc.

At the moment, there are times when i can't get a game on either Kai or XBC due to nobody (within a sensible ping range) playing the game.

What about cheating? That's my main gripe with XBC and Kai. People using trainers online. Jumping too high, not dying, etc. ****es me right off.

Tezcatlipoca
24-06-2005, 21:42
What about modding other parts of an Xbox, ie increasing the HDD. I've heard that they also check that all the original components are still in place, as well as whether a mod chip is installed? Any thoughts?

From what I gather, they do not (as yet?) check for other changes. If they do, then it is inconsistent & doesn't happen to everyone.

It seems that they check two things:

1) Presence of an active modchip. If an active chip is detected....the XBox is banned. This was the original check they did.

2) The HDD's ID & the XBox's EEPROM. This is a newer check, from the time of Halo2 onwards.

When an XBox first goes online, the HDD's ID & the EEPROM are checked & "married".

If, at a later date, the XBox is online & the HDD no longer matches the one the EEPROM is "married" to (i.e. because the HDD has since been upgraded) then the XBox gets banned.

So:

- if an XBox is modded but hasn't had a different HDD put in, it is safe to use on XBL so long as the chip is always disabled when online.

- if an XBox is modded & has had a different HDD put it, it is safe to use so long as the XBox has never been on XBox Live at all until *after* the HDD was changed (as it will be the new HDD's ID which gets married to the EEPROM).[plus the chip must be disabled to use XBL]

- if an XBox has been online, & is then later modded & has a different HDD fitted, it will get banned if it goes online again (as the HDD is different to the one the EEPROM was originally married to).

Of course...don't know if this all holds true still. Been a while since I read up on things at XBoxScene.

I believe they started banning people with non-standard hard drives when Halo 2 arrived.

Maybe...It's not that simple (see above).

I take it XBox live works the same, someone hosting a game, and others joining, therefore having the same limitations (people in uk not being able to host large games etc due to restricted upstreams)?

I'd be annoyed if i paid for it and found it hard to get a game, or the game was crap due to ping etc.

Yeah, it's harder for people in the UK to host large games on XBox Live due to us generally having a crappy upstream. Still usually manage an 8 player game on ntl 2meg or 3 meg though.

Some games also have dedicated servers.

Oh, & XBoxLive works better than XBC, Kai, etc, as XBL games are meant to be played online...XBC/Kai let you play online while the game thinks it's actually playing on a nice fast LAN, so you will get more lag etc than with XBL, as the System Link feature is not optimised for broadband & expects a big fat pipe.

What about cheating? That's my main gripe with XBC and Kai. People using trainers online. Jumping too high, not dying, etc. ****es me right off.

As you can't use a modded XBox on XBL, you can't use trainers & so on, so there is less cheating.

Some people do sometimes manage to hack a game save in some way (was a problem with RtCW after a while), but that usually gets sorted by M$ etc pretty quickly with new mandatory patches & with changes to XBL itself.

Try XBox Live! It's worth it! :)

I think you can still get trial subs if you don't know whether to pay for a whole year.

Br1an_g
25-06-2005, 13:36
cheating has been vastly improved online since the latest update..

still get the odd tw@ super jumping over the map and stuff..but hey, you can handle that..
and the game save cheaters are banned pretty quickly..

zoombini
25-06-2005, 14:22
Basically you cvan only go on with unaltered boxes.

Sure, you can replace the fan, the dvd, the case etc but touch the working bits like the mobo & the HDD & your boogered.

Why would anyone need a larger hdd to play online? apart from maybe music storage I cannot think of any reason.

mrlipring
25-06-2005, 16:07
well you wouldn't need a larger hdd to go online. In fact, anything a larger hdd could do will stop you going online, bar putting lots of soundtrack stuff on, but i've never done that, i don't really see the point.

They're useful for slamming lots of TV and film on, though.

Br1an_g
25-06-2005, 19:16
They're useful for slamming lots of TV and film on, though.

but you can stream film and audio from your PC, which almost always will have a huge HD by default..

only reason for a bigger HD, is to have multiple 'backup' copies of your games on there.

mrlipring
25-06-2005, 19:48
'tis true, but if i need to restart the pc midway through my flatmate watching a film...

Stuff i download but don't intend to keep after it gets watched gets slung onto the xbox hard drive. Well, it did until the 120GB samsung drive went tits-up. That hurt. Got a 20GB in it just now, but it's pretty tight. Been meaning to RMA the 120 for ages, but i really want to wait until samsung have (hopefully) run out of 120s. :)

Tezcatlipoca
25-06-2005, 20:19
Basically you cvan only go on with unaltered boxes.

Sure, you can replace the fan, the dvd, the case etc but touch the working bits like the mobo & the HDD & your boogered.

Nope, you *can* still go on XBL with altered boxes, even if the HDD has been changed (provided the XBox was never taken online until after the bigger HDD was fitted).

but you can stream film and audio from your PC, which almost always will have a huge HD by default..

only reason for a bigger HD, is to have multiple 'backup' copies of your games on there.

LOL, when I got my modded XBox, it's HDD was twice as big as the HDD in the PC I had at the time.