PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason I keep receiving a virus through my POP3?

svuk
11-03-2004, 13:02
A while back I kept receiving nothing but Penis Enlargement spam. I'm receiving mail that isn't even sent to my address. And now. NOW, I'm receiving the latest virus every other day in a zip file. The Win32 netsky thing.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.d@mm.html

Why????

threadbare
11-03-2004, 13:11
because someone you know is unwittingly infected and the virus on their machine is trying to infect all contacts listed on that machine. all the information wrt how the virus infects machines is contained within the security response you have posted

br3ach
11-03-2004, 13:38
Almost everyone is recieving these emails at the momment...

Unfortunately not much can be done about it. Obviously your anitvirus is picking up on it and deleting it for you so not much to worry about there...

Maybe an idea to make people aware on your address book that this virus exists as its likely that your problem originated from one of them...

El Diablo
11-03-2004, 13:46

[...]

Maybe an idea to make people aware on your address book that this virus exists as its likely that your problem originated from one of them...
because someone you know is unwittingly infected and the virus on their machine is trying to infect all contacts listed on that machine. all the information wrt how the virus infects machines is contained within the security response you have posted
Possibly the hint that I'm receiving mail that isn't even sent to my address. suggests that it's not originating from people he knows, as it's not his mail address that he's getting them to - probably some semi-random address like sales@hisdomain.com. These don't neccessarily originate from infected systems of people he would know, as any infected system that knows his domain name could essentially be transmitting these mails. If it's to an address within a domain that you manage and the mails are going to a catch all address - simply dev/null all mails sent to the offending mail address so that you don't even see them - otherwise they'll keep occurring.

:devsmoke:

Stuartbe
11-03-2004, 13:47

Unfortunately not much can be done about it. Obviously your anitvirus is picking up on it and deleting it for you so not much to worry about there...

I would not recomend that m8 :)

Half of the reason the worlds mail servers are breaking a sweat is that on top of the viruses everyone is sending people warnings about them. This is putting further load on the servers.

Apart from that there is no garentee that it is from someone you know as the source address's are often spoofed !

gary_580
11-03-2004, 13:50
A while back I kept receiving nothing but Penis Enlargement spam.

yeah that targeted spam is bad!!! :D :D :D

Richard M
11-03-2004, 13:54
Below you will find a good trick for stopping an email virus, I used to use it back in the days when I had Outlook Express as my email program. (I have since seen the light):

http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/oct01/041001.html

Halcyon
11-03-2004, 14:06
I seem to be getting a lot of those penis enlargment spams and viruses daily to my inbox, and quite often they are sent to me and there isnt even my address in the mail.

So how does it get my address as I'm not the person it says its to.

Thanks.

br3ach
11-03-2004, 14:09
I seem to be getting a lot of those penis enlargment spams and viruses daily to my inbox, and quite often they are sent to me and there isnt even my address in the mail.

So how does it get my address as I'm not the person it says its to.

Thanks.
Have you searched through the headers of the email?

If you can post the headers here then maybe we can have a look for you.

Stuart
11-03-2004, 14:12
Possibly the hint that suggests that it's not originating from people he knows, as it's not his mail address that he's getting them to - probably some semi-random address like sales@hisdomain.com. These don't neccessarily originate from infected systems of people he would know, as any infected system that knows his domain name could essentially be transmitting these mails. If it's to an address within a domain that you manage and the mails are going to a catch all address - simply dev/null all mails sent to the offending mail address so that you don't even see them - otherwise they'll keep occurring.

:devsmoke:
Or they have simply set the "To:" field on the mail to a random address and Bcc'd (Blind Carbon Copy) it to his mail

svuk
11-03-2004, 14:29
Have you searched through the headers of the email?

If you can post the headers here then maybe we can have a look for you.

What do you mean dude?

P.S Yeah, I don't think it's from somebody I know. It's happening in the same way the spam is happening. I just receive loads of crap in my inbox and yet the addresses it's sent to are hotmail etc. My address is obviously @ntlworld.

Halcyon
11-03-2004, 14:58
OK, just got one right now.
Heres the info in the properties message path thing:

Return-Path: <2bqnyt@334es5s.com>
Received: from [62.253.162.40] ([80.193.105.205]) by mta04-svc.ntlworld.com
(InterMail vM.4.01.03.37 201-229-121-137-20020806) with SMTP
id <20040311141459.CKIH4168.mta04-svc.ntlworld.com@[62.253.162.40]>;
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:14:59 +0000
Received: from [28.67.246.83] by 62.253.162.40 with ESMTP id 71ACB461B0E; Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:04:07 +0500
Message-ID: <q-$102383wbu@8r4.fx0p>
Reply-To: "Lucile Workman" <2bqnyt@334es5s.com>
To: t.sheen@ntlworld.com
Subject: Stay harder, longer for cheaper! x qey b lzsuyzsx
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 04 19:04:07 GMT
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook, Build 10.0.2627
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="0F0..C_2BAF2."
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

I hope I havent posted any security info about my pc here. If there is anything, can a mod edit it for me, Thanks.

As you can see it says its delivered to T Sheen, but I'm not T sheen.

SMHarman
11-03-2004, 15:36
This is spam, not the virus. You are a Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) on the mail.

The reply address is just junk.

Demon filter this stuff now. I now get 15 messages a day not 150!

altis
11-03-2004, 15:44
As you can see it says its delivered to T Sheen, but I'm not T sheen.

As scastle [Edit and SMHarman (must type faster)] says, it's probably BCC'd (Blind Carbon Copy) to you.

Earlier this week my brother contacted me asking if I had sent him a message that appeared to carry a questionable attachment. After reading about the Netsky worm I realised that someone with both of our addresses on their computer has succumbed to it. Only a very small circle of friends and relatives would have both our addresses so I sent out a warning to them - mind you, I've only heard back from 3 of them so far!

gary_580
11-03-2004, 15:44
I seem to be getting a lot of those penis enlargment spams

Thanks.

Go stand next to SVUK !!!

svuk
12-03-2004, 15:13
Meh. I've deleted them all. I'll post the headers next time I receive one, which will probably be tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Maggy
12-03-2004, 16:22
Every single virus email I'm getting at the moment is from some spammer address.They are the culprits as far as I'm concerned,thank goodness for NOD32.Nothing is getting through so far.

Incog.