PDA

View Full Version : BB Connection Problems - Release & Renew?

russjones23
11-03-2004, 13:52
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a small problem that I am having here with my connection.

BB is through a SACM connected via a NIC to my 'pooter.
The computer is turned off and on as required and is not left on constantly. The power to the SACM is always on.

Quite often, normally after the 'pooter has been switched off over night, I am finding that when I try to access emails / the internet I cannot get an outbound/inbound connection. In order to get things to work I need to go into winipcfg, select the NIC, click on release and then click renew. Doing this will normally free things up and then I can carry on as normal.

I'm wondering if I have somthing set wrong somewhere but I'm not sure where to start and don't want to just "fiddle" in case I make things worse.

If anybody has any suggestions they would be most welcome.

Thanks very much,

Raist.

Stuartbe
11-03-2004, 13:55
Hi m8....

The first thing I would say is to check your firewall.

When you type ipconfig ect you start the connection so the firerwall allows it. As the pc is booting it will try and get a lease. The firewall may be blocking this. Turn off your firewall - shut down the pc overnight and then turn it on in the morning. If you can connect then the firewall is the problem and its going to need configuring to allow dhcp. Robin Walkers exelent site will help you do this.

P.S. Dont forget to re-enable the firewall :D

P.P.S. - Welcome to the site m8 :)

Raistlin
11-03-2004, 13:59
Thanks for the quick response, hadn't even considered the firewall. Now you mention it it makes a lot of sense.

I'll take a look at Robin's site for further guidance. It would appear that you've saved me once again.

Cheers Mate.

Raist.

threadbare
11-03-2004, 14:07
if you are running xp or 2000 check you dhcp client runs on startup - CTRL panel > admin tools > services

Neil
11-03-2004, 14:09
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/security.html :)