PDA

View Full Version : Would this set up work for me ? Router question

Halcyon
09-03-2004, 21:40
Hi,

May I first say I am pleased to have found this place once again and whoever got this forum back up deserves good praise.
I used to be on here as Zest a while ago before the boards were taken away.
So its good to be back.

Anyway, As ususal I have found your help here great in the past so wondered if you could tell me if this set up will work....

I want to buy the Linkysys Wireless G 54mbps Broadband Router and wondered if this is ok for the following setup, with the NTL broadband modem going in the WAN port:

I have my main PC here in my room with a netgear ethernet card. I take it its 10/100, a standard one. That would be connected to the router WIRED.
I then have a laptop that has built in Centrino technology that operates at the 802.11B standard. So that would be linked by WIRELESS.
I've heard the Router is backwards compatible so it would be fine for the laptop and Pc that cant achieve the G standard yeah ?

Also..... Will it work as the laptop is on Windows XP Proffesional and my PC is on Windows 98.

And can it cope handling wired and wireless at the same time ?

And lastly, is this router reliable as I heard you had to update the firmware.

Many thanks for your replies in advance. Its much appreciated.

Tim.

Stuartbe
09-03-2004, 21:43
Hi Halcyon and :welcome: to the forum m8 :) Nice to see you back m8

Everything you have posted looks fine... 802.1b is backwards compatible but remember that you will slow down any 54g (54mb in theory anyway) clients as the network will only go as fast as the slowest device...

As for router recomendations - I am sure the other members will recomend something for you :)

Welcome to nthellworld.co.uk :)

Halcyon
09-03-2004, 21:55
Well the is the one thats been in my "looking good" range, spec wise and price wise, and for if I eventually get some 54G devices in the future.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008DOYO/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/026-9721588-7446024

Thanks for the welcome Stuartbe. I'l be here quite often now I know the forums are back.

Stuartbe
09-03-2004, 21:58
Well the is the one thats been in my "looking good" range, spec wise and price wise, and for if I eventually get some 54G devices in the future.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008DOYO/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/026-9721588-7446024

Thanks for the welcome Stuartbe. I'l be here quite often now I know the forums are back.

Looks good m8... I would wait for some of the views from the other helpfull members before comiting.... I use cisco stuff so I dont realy have a great deal of experience with broadband routers.....

tkiely
09-03-2004, 22:10
No probs with that setup, should work almost straight out of the box,

shame on you Stu :monkey: you should know that Linksys is part of Cisco! ;)

Stuartbe
09-03-2004, 22:13
No probs with that setup, should work almost straight out of the box,

shame on you Stu :monkey: you should know that Linksys is part of Cisco! ;)

I know that m8 :) - I was simpy trying to point out that you cant compare a 50 quid router to a cisco pix !! :)

Tricky
09-03-2004, 22:16
I have the WRT54G and find it works fine. I also use 11b and 54g devices and therefore have the Network mode set to Mixed but both my devices are fine seperately and together.

I originally had firmware 1.42.2 but have recently gone to 2.02.2 and haven't noticed any difference, it worked fine before anyway! Setup is a doddle (search for the excellent thread on securing your wireless network or PM me).

I have 4 wired devices (including one to a 2nd wireless router!) and 2 wireless all chugging away happily together.

Only problem I've had is when I turn off the SSID broadcast my signal strength drops to 0% but still works fine even streaming media over a 11b connection. I've got a case open with techSupport who seem to handle email calls really well.

Halcyon
10-03-2004, 00:09
Only problem I've had is when I turn off the SSID broadcast my signal strength drops to 0% but still works fine even streaming media over a 11b connection. I've got a case open with techSupport who seem to handle email calls really well.

Thanks for the replies.
What is SSID broadcast ?
I'm giong to have the router up in the loft and then a laptop on the ground and 1st floor.
Will this be OK for signals to reach it ?

Thanks.

Stuartbe
10-03-2004, 09:07
Thanks for the replies.
What is SSID broadcast ?
I'm giong to have the router up in the loft and then a laptop on the ground and 1st floor.
Will this be OK for signals to reach it ?

Thanks.

The range of the router and cards depends on lots of factors but you should be fine in a normal house. The higher the access point is in the house the better.

This thread can answer and questions about the ssid - http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8269

HTH

erol
10-03-2004, 11:24
I have 4 wired devices (including one to a 2nd wireless router!) and 2 wireless all chugging away happily together.

better check your AUP with NTL then ;)

Tricky
11-03-2004, 19:28
better check your AUP with NTL then ;)

That's what NAT'ing does for me (No AUP Trash!) :angel:

erol
11-03-2004, 19:39
That's what NAT'ing does for me (No AUP Trash!) :angel:

/irony - sarcy mode on

but I am sure you are not one of these 'heavy users / abusers' that is causing >60% of the congestion on the network and destroying the service for the 'ordinary' service :)