PDA

View Full Version : Cross-platform gaming maybe here...

Boom
10-07-2003, 07:51
http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=4902

Caspar
10-07-2003, 08:14
my only concern is lag and supported games. I liked the idea of XBOX console because everyone is on BB and all have a communicator (some still don't know how to turn these on though!) .... I hate to think that we're going to play Halo2 with voice...then some idiot on a 56k modem logs in and slows the whole game down.

I just hope there is a minimum speed requirement like there is in RtCW.

Boom
10-07-2003, 08:21
Personally, I just don't see it happening for the reasons of extra cost for both the supporting architecture (must you buy this Valhalla system as well?), lack of voice (no mention of it in the article), and quite simply difficulty in communication between platforms. A PC gamer will be typing messages (or trying to use Wilco, etc. if this sytem supports it), an XBLer will want to use voice, and a PS2/Gamecube owner depends on the game produced (in other words the game would need to support an icon style system similiar to PSO).

But then again who knows...

Originally posted by Caspar
my only concern is lag and supported games. I liked the idea of XBOX console because everyone is on BB and all have a communicator (some still don't know how to turn these on though!) .... I hate to think that we're going to play Halo2 with voice...then some idiot on a 56k modem logs in and slows the whole game down.

I just hope there is a minimum speed requirement like there is in RtCW.

FelonX
10-07-2003, 08:43
tbh if this is pulled off i think it is a great idea to unite all gamers across every platform is a good idea and as for lag issues ect dedicated servers will minimise this and external voice coms are a standalone item so that would have no effect on this matter.

also i think this is a few years away yet and i think 56k will be none existent when we will all be bouncing aroung on 5mb pipes :D