PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

tomw
10-07-2003, 00:33
Could anybody please tell me if Animal Damage is covered by your house hold insurance . I have read my policy but they are not the clearest of things ..
The reason i ask is because our new puppy has decieded to eat the dinning room carpet.

matty4donna
10-07-2003, 00:34
Depends, each insurance policy varies, but it is probably covered.

danielf
10-07-2003, 00:39
In what way was your animal damaged from eating the carpet?

matty4donna
10-07-2003, 00:40
I think he means more the carpet was damaged from the animal eating it ;)

danielf
10-07-2003, 00:43
Originally posted by matty4donna
I think he means more the carpet was damaged from the animal eating it ;)

Really???? :p

peterska2
10-07-2003, 00:47
Oh dear I see this as falling into disarray very quickly.

tomw
10-07-2003, 00:51
Let me just put it straight before we go off on a tangent There was no animal damage before or even after the event .
The animal damaged the carpet
fhew glad we cleared that one up early

peterska2
10-07-2003, 00:53
good job there too tomw.

so the carpet has been eaten by your dog.

dont think you will be covered for that

Sorry

danielf
10-07-2003, 00:54
Originally posted by tomw
Let me just put it straight before we go off on a tangent There was no animal damage before or even after the event .
The animal damaged the carpet
fhew glad we cleared that one up early

To add a serious note to this thread, I guess it depends on the insurance. Give them a call in the morning. ;)

Martin
10-07-2003, 01:13
Check the small print matey.:) If there is always a small bit they add in for things like this.:(

tomw
10-07-2003, 01:20
I have tried to read the small print but there dosent seem to be anything about animals in it but like you said they always seem to have a get out clause of something or another
The reason i havnt phoned is because when you call now all call are logged on a national database so as to catch unscrupulus people over claming for everything and always changing insurance companys.
But if it is something that you are covered for if you tell them i will tell them and then wait for him to eat some more as he is only a puppy and it is enevatable that he will do it again

gary_580
10-07-2003, 09:06
if you have accidental cover on contents your more likely to be covered. If you have standard cover very unlikely they will pay

SMHarman
10-07-2003, 10:42
Originally posted by tomw
Could anybody please tell me if Animal Damage is covered by your house hold insurance . I have read my policy but they are not the clearest of things ..
The reason i ask is because our new puppy has decieded to eat the dinning room carpet.

Accidental damage caused by your own animals is not normally covered. Accidental damage caused by other peoples animals is usually covered.

So if you were looking after you sisters dog who got upset and chewed up the carpet then you are covered.

If your dog got anxious and chewed up the carpet then tough.

You need the accidental damage options for any of this to be true.

I think that they consider that the dog intended to do the damage, hence it is not accidental but intentional.

orangebird
10-07-2003, 11:40
Give the insurance company a call.

My friends' dog ran out in the road a couple of months ago in front of a car. The dog wasn't too badly off, but the car bumber was absolutely ruined, and the quote to fix this was over £700. My frineds house insurance covered this - you may be lucky!

:)

danielf
10-07-2003, 11:52
Originally posted by orangebird
Give the insurance company a call.

My friends' dog ran out in the road a couple of months ago in front of a car. The dog wasn't too badly off, but the car bumber was absolutely ruined, and the quote to fix this was over £700. My frineds house insurance covered this - you may be lucky!

:)

I agree give them a call.

Orangebird: that is probably because your friend's house insurance includes public liability. I get the impression that few people are aware of this option. Insurance to cover yourself for liability costs next to nothing (~£10 a year for a cover of say a million quid). This covers (accidental) damage by you, your pets or kids, provided the damage is done to another party.

I once borrowed my gfs photo camera, and managed to get it nicked. The insurance paid £250, as I was liable for the damage.

Shaun
10-07-2003, 13:20
I'm afraid to say that most insurance company don't include what they call 'act of dog', you know just like 'act of god' :rolleyes:

As much as I hate to say it that was one of the good things about working for Natwest, discount on home insurance and it was one of the only policy's to cover it.:cool:

tomw
16-07-2003, 23:29
Update
You are all correct you are not insured for damage by an animal you are only covered for anything a adult could do accidently and bitting and scratching is not one of them (this also goes for damage your kids may do ).
But the dog did manage the next day to bite threw the radiator pipe (10mmm micro bore stuff) and flood the back room.....
this i am covered for as is everybody as water damage is undisputable however they would only send out a company to dry the carpet so i didnt bother as there is now point in cleaning a half eaten carpet is there ..
so some lovely lamanate went down at the weekend