PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Windows XP

Mal
09-07-2003, 17:54
I don't really know how to word this properly....

I use Windows ME at the moment, but I'm wondering about upgrading to XP.

Is upgrading a necessary thing or is it only if it'll be of any use to you and/or your circumstances?

Is it a case of if what you do with the computer is okay on ME it won't change much on XP or is it a must have?

Sorry if I'm a being a bit vague. I just don't want to upgrade, muck everything up and it not be any different.

Moox
09-07-2003, 18:00
You will certainly find XP different. Takes some getting used to but I think it's worth the upgrade.

Russ
09-07-2003, 18:03
You can put XP straight on top of ME and there shouldn't be any problems (I put it on top of 98 and it went fine) although a clean install will always be preferable.

Moox
09-07-2003, 18:06
Gotta agree with Russ ;) But I had problems upgrading from ME a clean install imho is a must.

Martin
09-07-2003, 18:09
You shouldn't have any probs I have updated from Win ME on another PC, to XP and it went smoothly.:)

A clean install is my preferred option, you just have to back up your documents etc.

kronas
09-07-2003, 18:20
i have also upgraded to windows xp from windows ME and never looked back fast stable everything works program wise you may need to reinstall a few progams so they work under the new OS

obviously a clean install is recommended :)

Mal
09-07-2003, 18:36
Ta!

I know this may sound very stupid, but for a clean install, would I have to get the full version or can I get away with the upgrade version?

kronas
09-07-2003, 18:37
Originally posted by Mal
Ta!

I know this may sound very stupid, but for a clean install, would I have to get the full version or can I get away with the upgrade version?

you will need the full version :)

Steady
09-07-2003, 18:42
Before you do anything get the latest XP drivers for your modem of the web. Guess what I didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t do when I upgraded to XP.

Mal
09-07-2003, 18:55
Originally posted by kronas
you will need the full version :)
Ta!

SMHarman
09-07-2003, 18:58
Though an install over a clean install of ME is probably preferable (and cheaper) than installing over the system as is.

Options
1) Clean install of Full XP disc
2) Clean install of ME install upgrade XP
3) Install XP ontop of machine as is.

timewarrior2001
09-07-2003, 19:01
I found that upgrading from 98SE to XP pro made XP pro run very unstable.
I will and always advise to do a full install rather than an upgrade.

Sociable
09-07-2003, 19:05
Originally posted by Mal
Ta!

There is a halfway house for a semi-clean install whereby instead of doing a full format and install you install XP over the top of ME rather than upgrading it. This is semi-clean becuse this type of install ignores the current settings and registry.

Fact you have an "Upgrade" rather than "Full" copy should not be an issue as it can confirm the earlier OP sysytem was there by reading the ME CD as part of a compliance check.

First step in any case is to check for any potential conflicts/problems.

The install CD should give you the option to run a compatability check which will identify any issues and even suggest work arrounds. Having done this and obtained any updated drivers and backed up important data insert the CD and start the install.

On the screen that asks if you want to upgrade select "No" and then on the later screen confirm that you wish to nominate the partion to install XP to. Then you simply nominate the existing ME partition. (If you have more than one partition selecting another partition will auto create a "Dual" boot system that allows you to choose between ME and XP at bootup.)

Hope this helps.

Moox
09-07-2003, 19:22
Forgot to mention my problems occured when upgrading from ME to XP Pro

paulyoung666
09-07-2003, 19:58
Originally posted by Mal
Ta!

get yourself an oem copy of xp and save £50 ;)

Mal
09-07-2003, 20:18
Originally posted by paulyoung666
get yourself an oem copy of xp and save £50 ;)

Is this what you meant......

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43403&_LOC=UK

paulyoung666
09-07-2003, 20:29
yup , full version in there , strictly speaking you should only install it on a new pc , but , i reckon ms will be happy that you are buying it at all ;) :D :D :D

aardvark
09-07-2003, 20:36
Go for it!

I used ME and had numerous problems. An upgrade to XP has made a tremendous difference. Although some of my older software wouldn't work effectively, it was still worth the change.

Defiant
09-07-2003, 20:44
You haven't mentioned the spec of your computer. I wouldn't put XP on a machine unless it was atleast P3 500 & 256ram min

Mal
09-07-2003, 21:11
yup , full version in there , strictly speaking you should only install it on a new pc , but , i reckon ms will be happy that you are buying it at all ;) :D :D :D SO strictly it's not legal as it's not a brand new computer :cry: (Me, I'm a person who thinks if an organisation only finds 1 person out of a 1,000,000, it will be me they find).

Originally posted by Defiant
You haven't mentioned the spec of your computer. I wouldn't put XP on a machine unless it was atleast P3 500 & 256ram min I've got an Athlon 800 & 128ram. :cry:

Microsoft say that 128 is okay. Don't know how to upgrade & cannot afford to either.

Thank you everyone for your advice by the way....

paulyoung666
09-07-2003, 21:16
i wouldnt worry about the legal side , if you do then lash out a bit more on a full copy ;)

Lord Nikon
10-07-2003, 17:42
My suggestion for ME Cds.... use them as Frisbees, beer / coffee coasters, Ice scrapers etc... just don't install them on a computer.

dilli-theclaw
10-07-2003, 17:57
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
My suggestion for ME Cds.... use them as Frisbees, beer / coffee coasters, Ice scrapers etc... just don't install them on a computer.

Why is it I feel like I was increadibly lucky with ME...

I've never had any problems with it - on any of the 20+ computers I've installed it on.

Still - I'm a lot happier with XP.

Sociable
10-07-2003, 18:01
Originally posted by dilligaf1701
Why is it I feel like I was increadibly lucky with ME...

I've never had any problems with it - on any of the 20+ computers I've installed it on.

Still - I'm a lot happier with XP.

Ditto :)

Lord Nikon
10-07-2003, 18:22
Windows ME was such a POS that it was the ONLY Operating system MS were prepared to refund people on....

Nidge
14-07-2003, 06:23
yup , full version in there , strictly speaking you should only install it on a new pc , but , i reckon ms will be happy that you are buying it at all ;) :D :D :D

XP shouldn't be on a machine full stop. It's a total waist of time effort and money. When I find the drivers for this machine that work on NT it's goodbye XP.

Lord Nikon
25-07-2003, 20:59
Originally posted by Nidge
XP shouldn't be on a machine full stop. It's a total waist of time effort and money. When I find the drivers for this machine that work on NT it's goodbye XP.

Tell me what you can about the machine (sound, video etc) and I will find the drivers for you..

I don't just mean "Its a packup bell model xxxx" I mean look in device manager...

I need something along the lines of

"Video is NVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200, sound is SB Audigy Platinum" etc...

don't forget modem and if possible motherboard chipset (at the very least VIA / SiS / Intel chipset)

Ramrod
25-07-2003, 21:51
XP shouldn't be on a machine full stop. It's a total waist of time effort and money. When I find the drivers for this machine that work on NT it's goodbye XP. Well I like it:)

paulyoung666
25-07-2003, 22:04
Originally posted by Ramrod
Well I like it:)

suits me 2 sir ;)

bonzoe
05-08-2003, 14:29
Originally posted by Mal
Ta!

You CAN do a clean install from any upgrade version of Windows, it will just ask you to insert your CD (or FDD) of your qualifying Windows version to verify that you qualify , ME to XP is OK, 95 to XP is not.

TheBig1
05-08-2003, 15:06
Originally posted by Mal
SO strictly it's not legal as it's not a brand new computer :cry: (Me, I'm a person who thinks if an organisation only finds 1 person out of a 1,000,000, it will be me they find).

I've got an Athlon 800 & 128ram. :cry:

Microsoft say that 128 is okay. Don't know how to upgrade & cannot afford to either.

Thank you everyone for your advice by the way....

Technically you are not breaking the law by buying the product (so long as it has the licence document with it)

If the copy you buy (IE the licence number) is not used by anyone else then you will not be caught

128MB of RAM is just over £20 these days and installation is childs play, taking around 2 minutes including opening your case and closing it again. The money you save by buying second hand is going to more than cover the cost and you will see great benefits

Mal
05-08-2003, 17:06
I have now got xp and it's top. It seems to be more user friendly, quicker and reliable. I've not had one program "not responding" yet. The only problems I had was when I installed my firewall & AV.

darkangel
05-08-2003, 17:23
Originally posted by Mal
I've not had one program "not responding" yet. The only problems I had was when I installed my firewall & AV. noo don't say that you'll jinx it Download Failed (1)
what firewall u have norton 2001?

Mal
05-08-2003, 17:33
Originally posted by darkangel
noo don't say that you'll jinx it http://www.lions.org.uk/messageboard/smilies/panic.gif
what firewall u have norton 2001?
Damn! :)

I've got Norton 2002 AV & P. Firewall. Sorted now though.

timewarrior2001
05-08-2003, 17:55

You love NT huh?
Well isnt XP built on NT technology.....infact if windows 2000 was NT5 then XP is technically NT6.
From what I have seen it has indeed come form NT. But retained some of the friendliness of 9X.

NT was a great OS, as long as you didnt want to play games on it, XP has overcome this barrier.