PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Colour cast on my new TV!

Sipowicz
29-02-2004, 20:32
Knowing how knowledgeable (creep, creep) the users of this forum are, I wondered if I could tap into your collective expertise for a solution to my problem: I bought myself a brand new 32" widescreen TV, the choice was out of 2 (both Black cases, had to be). I install it and switch on, to find a colour cast in one corner of the screen, rather like having a magnet near the TV. All electrical products next to it are AV (DVD, surround amp, Speakers, VCR, Cable box) so they should be shielded for magnetic interference. I took it back to the shop this morning, (my mate had to come round with his Van as it won't go into my car) they plug it in, and "fault" isn't there! I took it home again, plugged it in and it's back! It is there no matter what is connected or playing - cable, DVD, aerial!

I moved the only non-AV item near the TV (a tape deck) but the cast is still there. I moved the front speakers - no change. I moved the VCR, I have even searched for a "rogue" magnet - nothing. I was wondering if it could have something (or anything) to do with the usual collection of electric string, normally associated with home cinema set ups, thay sits behind the TV unit? Perhaps generating a "field" of some sort.

Any suggestions? I don't want to have to move the TV and all the furniture around, as I have got it all set up just right. I really am perplexed!!

Proppinupthebar
29-02-2004, 20:38
Speakers unless they specify are not shielded.
Move everything away far away and see if the issue is there.

I would get a de-gaussing wand if the issue is still there and use it to remove any magnetic field still there (thats what the wand does). Use it with everything setup as normal.

Dont get the wand close to PC's or such like.

Alanmelon
29-02-2004, 20:39
I have the exact same problem, and although I'm not sure, I think it's something to do with something in one of the nearby walls, as when I move the tv away from the wall, the patch appears much less obvious.

Sipowicz
29-02-2004, 20:40
Speakers unless they specify are not shielded.
Move everything away far away and see if the issue is there.

I would get a de-gaussing wand if the issue is still there and use it to remove any magnetic field still there (thats what the wand does). Use it with everything setup as normal.

Dont get the wand close to PC's or such like.

Thanks for that, any idea where to get one of these wands?

Sipowicz
29-02-2004, 20:41
I have the exact same problem, and although I'm not sure, I think it's something to do with something in one of the nearby walls, as when I move the tv away from the wall, the patch appears much less obvious.

I was thinking of something similar, but I never had any problems with the old tv!

hairy_mick
29-02-2004, 20:42
its not a sanyo tv by any chance.

hairy_mick
29-02-2004, 20:43
i had a problem with mine had patches near both speakers then the tube went so dont buy sanyo.

Sipowicz
29-02-2004, 20:44
its not a sanyo tv by any chance.

It is!! and it has "freeview" built in (!!!!!!)

Is there something I should know?

Sipowicz
29-02-2004, 20:45
i had a problem with mine had patches near both speakers then the tube went so dont buy sanyo.

OUCH!!!!!

Proppinupthebar
29-02-2004, 20:57
ALL TV repair company's have the wands, But they will expect recompense. Is the TV still under warranty? If so ask the company to attend your house with a degaussing wand.

abailey152
29-02-2004, 20:59
Check what's exactly behind the TV. If it is pushed up close to the wall, try pulling it away a little to see if the problem disappears. If you have any power sockets etc. right behind the TV, pull it away from these.

Ramrod
29-02-2004, 21:00
Thanks for that, any idea where to get one of these wands?Here (http://www.trial-site.com/php/products/misc/redwand.php) maby.

Sipowicz
29-02-2004, 21:24
ALL TV repair company's have the wands, But they will expect recompense. Is the TV still under warranty? If so ask the company to attend your house with a degaussing wand.

I bought the TV yesterday! I took it back today, they switched on in the shop, and the cast was not there! Got it home, got the cast again!!!

Proppinupthebar
29-02-2004, 21:36
I bought the TV yesterday! I took it back today, they switched on in the shop, and the cast was not there! Got it home, got the cast again!!!

If the shop want your money then they will bring the wand to your house!!
If not then walk away. But I think the issue is at your house and its from other equipment.

Nor
29-02-2004, 21:51
My TV has one right now. It wasn't there until I moved my TV then it appeared. I have an alarm clock on the top left where the discolouration is. Moved it back about an inch and the colouration has gone away :)

Sipowicz
29-02-2004, 22:09
Just moved the right-hand front speaker, no difference! Next I am going to try the AV Amp.............

Proppinupthebar
29-02-2004, 22:11
My TV has one right now. It wasn't there until I moved my TV then it appeared. I have an alarm clock on the top left where the discolouration is. Moved it back about an inch and the colouration has gone away :)
Thats the typical effect of a magnetic field.

Sipowicz
29-02-2004, 22:16
Thats the typical effect of a magnetic field.

Is what I expected to be the cause of my situation, but I have moved everything but the telly! Still no joy......

zendawn
29-02-2004, 23:01
Is what I expected to be the cause of my situation, but I have moved everything but the telly! Still no joy......

Try the tv in another room, just to get an idea of where the mag field is in effect.

SMHarman
29-02-2004, 23:41
Just moved the right-hand front speaker, no difference! Next I am going to try the AV Amp.............

Try moving the telly, see if that helps - all 80Kg of it!

tkiely
01-03-2004, 00:08

just twist it 90 degrees and see what happens!

Sipowicz
01-03-2004, 00:11

You know it well then! I think I hurt myself getting it out of the box!!

I have twisted it 90 degrees on the unit, it is still there! Next step will be in another part of the room (when I have finished reinforcing the floor!!

Charlie_Bubble
01-03-2004, 00:53
80kg, pah, a lightweight tv if ever I heard of one. Mine is over 100kg. Had to get a mate round to put the bugger on the stand when I first got it, and it doesn't even have speakers as part of the main unit! :D

Mal
01-03-2004, 00:57
80kg, pah, a lightweight tv if ever I heard of one. Mine is over 100kg. Had to get a mate round to put the bugger on the stand when I first got it, and it doesn't even have speakers as part of the main unit! :D
Bragging over size :D

Getting my first widescreen tv later today and reading this thread is making me worried over what problems I may have.

hairy_mick
01-03-2004, 06:28
these sanyo tv's have some problems one is the picture being streched and no way of getting it back had to call out engineer he would not tell me how to enter engineer screen to put this right result its gone again and i have to find someone who can put it right took five year cover have 1 year left and company went bust so have gone out and bought new tv lcd 30" and not a sanyo like i say keep away from these.

SMHarman
01-03-2004, 09:42
Bragging over size :D

Getting my first widescreen tv later today and reading this thread is making me worried over what problems I may have.

My panasonic one is wonderful. The only problem I've had with it is the internal fuse blowing just before it's second aniversary. Replaced for free under the John Lewis free warranty.

A common fault, but apparantly a necessary saftey requirement as the Yanks and Japs don't have fused electrical plugs. Does not cost much £25, even out of wwty.

paulyoung666
01-03-2004, 10:02
you havent got a digital cordless phone near it have you ??????????? , i only ask because i had a problem , didnt want to move the phone so i shielded it with some tin foil hidden out of site :)

SMHarman
01-03-2004, 10:31
you havent got a digital cordless phone near it have you ??????????? , i only ask because i had a problem , didnt want to move the phone so i shielded it with some tin foil hidden out of site :)

I notice the handset of mine causes digital noise like that of a mobile on my computer screen when it rings, you hang up etc. The base stations polling must do the same; did yours give a colour cast or noise lines? I would imagine the latter.

paulyoung666
01-03-2004, 12:47
I notice the handset of mine causes digital noise like that of a mobile on my computer screen when it rings, you hang up etc. The base stations polling must do the same; did yours give a colour cast or noise lines? I would imagine the latter.

noise lines , but it was just a thought :D

Sipowicz
01-03-2004, 13:12

No cordless phones nearby!

Felt strong lunchtime, so I picked it up and moved it. First by 90 degrees and 3 feet away from where it is supposed to go, still there, but not as strong. Then I placed it on the floor 8 feet away (knocking over a tower of 30 CD's, 'cos I left the aerial plugged in!!) no colour cast at all! It must be the AV amp! I am in the process of moving it away! I'll be very annoyed if that is the problem! What is the point of having a home cinema, if your AV amp stuffs the TV picture!!!! (goes away grumbling into his mug of Tea!)

Sipowicz
01-03-2004, 19:31
Still no better! I have even tried a different electrical socket, just in case there was interference from that! Looks like I am going to have to re-arrange the living room! The gaffer will want me to decorate it first! Arrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

Stuartbe
01-03-2004, 19:32
Are you sure that there are no cables in the wall ?

Sipowicz
01-03-2004, 19:38

The TV is on a pine unit 4+feet away from the nearest socket, between the TV and the wall, is a pine cupboard containing DVD's and videos. The TV is equidistant from the two side walls, but only one side (the bottom right corner is affected - although there is something at the top left that appears after the TV has been on for a while, I assumed that the colour was being "pulled" down). The previous TV (a 28" standard) was there for the last 12 months, and never had a problem! I just cannot see any reason for it!(????)

Stuartbe
01-03-2004, 19:40
Sadly some tv sets dont have the same standard of EMI sheilding....... You could allways get a sheilded 14" tempest proof monitor - It will only set you back around £30.000 0 :)

Indians
01-03-2004, 19:43
You could always wrap it in tinfoil ! :)

Ramrod
01-03-2004, 19:44
from here (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/interference.html)A simple method of determining the location of electrical interference is by using a portable AM radio tuned to a quiet frequency at the lower end of the dial. If you hear static or a buzzing sound, check to see if it corresponds with the interference to your equipment. The closer you get to the source of the interference, the more intense the static will be.
....btw, have you tried shielding that part of the as a temporary experement?

Proppinupthebar
01-03-2004, 19:49

Normal domestic cabling would not cause TV's to bloom.
I would seriously try to get hold of a wand and 'treat' the TV in its normal situation. If theres a magnetic influence there then the wand may be able to counteract its effects without you having to move everything around.

Indians
01-03-2004, 19:52
Don't all TV's have automatic Degaussing built in ? Not sure a degaussing wand would do any good if it's an electrically generated field ?

Stuartbe
01-03-2004, 19:53
Normal domestic cabling would not cause TV's to bloom.
I would seriously try to get hold of a wand and 'treat' the TV in its normal situation. If theres a magnetic influence there then the wand may be able to counteract its effects without you having to move everything around.

It can if the sheilding on the tv is poor and there are a large ammount of cables in the wall. Anyway - it nowhare near the wall so that rules that out.

Its not going to be stored feilds on the cone as the tc would degauss when powered on and dispate the feild...

Whats this wand thing your are talking about m8 ?

Proppinupthebar
01-03-2004, 20:00
The degaussing wand. We have lots of monitors making up part of our 'Monitor wall', they all interfere with each other but as we have used the wand to remove the effects we don't see a problem unless one of the monitors is faulty and gets removed. Then the monitors around the removed one show terrible blooming of colours.

Stuartbe
01-03-2004, 20:03
The degaussing wand. We have lots of monitors making up part of our 'Monitor wall', they all interfere with each other but as we have used the wand to remove the effects we don't see a problem unless one of the monitors is faulty and gets removed. Then the monitors around the removed one show terrible blooming of colours.

Ahhh. Could be worth a try m8 :)

I have not seen one of those for years !

hairy_mick
01-03-2004, 20:12
I pedict that this is the start of fault that will end with the tube being replaced get your money back and buy another make trust me mine started the same way then went altogether as you can see i hate sanyo. I paid over 800 quid and now have no telly.

mart44
01-03-2004, 21:02
This sort of effect can be caused by the tube but I don't think it is in this case. Sipowicz said that when the TV was moved 8 feet away from the position it normally sits in, the shading went away. Also it didn't do it in the shop. If it were the tube, moving the TV wouldn't have made any difference.

It seems to me also that the tube is being influenced by a magnetic field. The AV amp gets a mention. I suppose this is possible if the amp has a mains transformer in it. That might create a field but it would have to be a very strong one to cause the fault. Rather than move the TV, move the amp a little. That should settle it one way or the other.

TVs have a circuit that degauss the tube every time that the TV turns on from cold (at the on/off switch rather than standby). If the TV has been turned off and on a few times at the switch, allowing about 15 minutes between switching off then back on again, the tube will be pretty much degaussed already.

Overnight switching off and back on the next day will achieve this, providing the on/off switch has been used rather than the remote control. Best to try all things but if this has been the case, a degaussing wand or coil may not make any difference.

If moving the TV is the thing that made the colour shading go away then something nearby is doing it. The only additional items to those already mentioned I can think of are perhaps a closeness to a radiator (not unknown). How about the construction of your home. Any girders or metal in the building of it?

Sipowicz
01-03-2004, 22:57
This sort of effect can be caused by the tube but I don't think it is in this case. Sipowicz said that when the TV was moved 8 feet away from the position it normally sits in, the shading went away. Also it didn't do it in the shop. If it were the tube, moving the TV wouldn't have made any difference.

It seems to me also that the tube is being influenced by a magnetic field. The AV amp gets a mention. I suppose this is possible if the amp has a mains transformer in it. That might create a field but it would have to be a very strong one to cause the fault. Rather than move the TV, move the amp a little. That should settle it one way or the other.

TVs have a circuit that degauss the tube every time that the TV turns on from cold (at the on/off switch rather than standby). If the TV has been turned off and on a few times at the switch, allowing about 15 minutes between switching off then back on again, the tube will be pretty much degaussed already.

Overnight switching off and back on the next day will achieve this, providing the on/off switch has been used rather than the remote control. Best to try all things but if this has been the case, a degaussing wand or coil may not make any difference.

If moving the TV is the thing that made the colour shading go away then something nearby is doing it. The only additional items to those already mentioned I can think of are perhaps a closeness to a radiator (not unknown). How about the construction of your home. Any girders or metal in the building of it?

Hi,
I have already moved the Amp and it is still there! I am going to "search" for magnetic fields with a compass (you know, a bit of deviation!!) I am probably clutching at straws, but I thank all of you good people for your input.