PDA

View Full Version : Half Life Key invalid

Bifta
28-02-2004, 12:09
Half Life Generations just arrived, sealed, from play.com, opened up Steam to install CS put in the CD key for half life (there isn't one for CS on it) and Steam is telling me it can't register my CD key because it's either in use or is invalid .. wtf? Any idea's?

Starsurfer
28-02-2004, 12:17
contact sierra, happened to me sounds like someone generated your key

Bifta
28-02-2004, 12:21
It's a sealed box and Sierra have absolutely nothing to do with it, it's valve I need to speak to, but according to the Steam Forums, they give less than a f*** about customers problems and won't bother replying.

TigaSefi
28-02-2004, 13:41
Just buy another half life game sealed for a tenner or less is the most stress free solution.

Bifta
28-02-2004, 13:47
Just buy another half life game sealed for a tenner or less is the most stress free solution.

Um .. no? I've just spent a tenner, I'm not going to spend another tenner to get another copy.

hjf288
28-02-2004, 14:55
Return it to play saying your CD Key is being rejected and they'll send you a new one :)

Ben
28-02-2004, 15:02
Hi Bifta

You need to mail someone of the steampowered.com forums.

2. If the cd-key you entered fails, send an email to support@steampowered.com w/ the key and the Steam account(s) you have been trying to use it with.

;)

It happens alot mate :(

Bifta
28-02-2004, 15:08
Hi Bifta

You need to mail someone of the steampowered.com forums.

;)

It happens alot mate :(

Apparently, from reading Steams forums, they've yet to reply to any queries of this nature. Steam has to be the biggest pile of complete crap ever to grace this earth, I'd rather use that stupid Sierra updater.

secular
28-02-2004, 19:19
Half Life Generations just arrived, sealed, from play.com, opened up Steam to install CS put in the CD key for half life (there isn't one for CS on it) and Steam is telling me it can't register my CD key because it's either in use or is invalid .. wtf? Any idea's?
If you bought generations then you will have two cd-keys, one for Half Life and one for Opposing Force. Use the key for opposing force (the one with letters in) when the steam dialog box pops up and you should be fine.

If you scan the key in, proving it is yours and mail it to support@steampowered.com then they may help you out.

Bifta
28-02-2004, 20:00
If you bought generations then you will have two cd-keys, one for Half Life and one for Opposing Force. Use the key for opposing force (the one with letters in) when the steam dialog box pops up and you should be fine.

If you scan the key in, proving it is yours and mail it to support@steampowered.com then they may help you out.

Humm .. I'll try that right now.

Bifta
28-02-2004, 20:10
No joy there either, apparently the key's with letter's and numbers won't work as they're not valid for online play and that it should be bundled with a WON id, i.e. the xxxx-xxxxx-xxx key that doesn't work.

http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41083

Gareth
01-03-2004, 02:06
Very crap, mate... I know how you feel about Steam....they're a load of shÃÃâ€*’ÂÂÂÂ*t. If it's any consolation for you, I'm having trouble connecting to Steam to play CS at the moment - seems to have been down all weekend. Looking on the Steam forums, however, it seems that only NTL customers are affected! Typical, eh? Of course, NTL are denying all knowledge of it beign their fault.

Maybe your problem is linked to that. Check out http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59991 - dunno if it's just coincidence or not.

Neil
01-03-2004, 07:50
Very crap, mate... I know how you feel about Steam....they're a load of shÃÃâ€*’ÂÂÂÂ*t. If it's any consolation for you, I'm having trouble connecting to Steam to play CS at the moment - seems to have been down all weekend. Looking on the Steam forums, however, it seems that only NTL customers are affected! Typical, eh? Of course, NTL are denying all knowledge of it beign their fault.

Maybe your problem is linked to that. Check out http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59991 - dunno if it's just coincidence or not.

From the above link......

Isnt an NTL problem just contacted them, so it must be a Steam one.

I find strange is I also am on NTL (600k broadband).Makes me wonder if it may be related to NTL.

Im from Coventry (West Midlands), i wonder if the NTL guy was bullsh*ting me.

vipey, ialso live in Tamworth (Belgrave) This has to be a localised NTL problem, to many coicidences similar geographical location"600k, going down at the same time, Nt f****n HELL. I am so tired of this company.They have even sent me 2 bills for the same month on my phone account with differing totals.Something is starting to leave a very bitter taste in my mouth regarding their so called "customer services" customer wind up if you ask me .They always say they cant do anything about it at the moment and will attend to asap (MY ARSE!!!). I will badger them tommorow but dont hold yer breaths... Snooper.

im from Tamworth(wilnecote) too

Im also on NTL 600k package and it still wont let me log on, althogh my friend who lives on the same street can log into my account but hes on the 1mb package

Sound familiar? :rolleyes:

Bifta
01-03-2004, 08:45

I'm not an NTL customer :D I gave up their sh*tty broadband a long time ago.

Ben
01-03-2004, 08:59
Yea if seems like this is a defo key-gen problem. I think the only way your gonna get this ssorted is by scanning your CD-key into a mail and sending it though to steampowered :(

Super_LEEDS
01-03-2004, 17:25
A very similar thing has just happened to me with play.com. I ordered Call of Duty, had it delivered, went to install it and it told me the CD key was invalid.

I've sent it back, awaiting some kind of response from them now. :fit:

secular
09-03-2004, 14:25
With a bit o' tweaking I pull in pings of <20 in the UK so I'm not sure it's directly NTL related.

Hmmm.. try changing the HL key in the registry HKey_current_user -- software -- Valve and saving. Change the value of popup (or something similar) to 0 and try to connect to a server.

br3ach
09-03-2004, 14:52
With a bit o' tweaking I pull in pings of <20 in the UK so I'm not sure it's directly NTL related.

Hmmm.. try changing the HL key in the registry HKey_current_user -- software -- Valve and saving. Change the value of popup (or something similar) to 0 and try to connect to a server.
Could you point me in the way of these tweaks?

secular
15-03-2004, 05:53
http://www.hltoolz.com/

Rate, cl_rate, modem_fps all affect your ping and the tool I linked above helps you set it all out.

Ramrod
15-03-2004, 13:45
A very similar thing has just happened to me with play.com. I ordered Call of Duty, had it delivered, went to install it and it told me the CD key was invalid.

I've sent it back, awaiting some kind of response from them now. :fit:there are some cd key problems with CoD. I had to keep re-entering till it worked and then made the cd key folder 'read only'. Been fine since.