PDA

View Full Version : Can I please go to the toilet?!

Skweeky
09-07-2003, 14:21
Can any one give me some advice. Seems the powers that be at work want our manager to justify the amount of "personal" time we are taking off calls. All we really use this personal time for is a toilet break or else to go get a drink of water. This time is rarely above 10 - 15 mins for each of us each day.
Where do we stand legally? Can they really tell us to stop doing this? Can they ask us that we obtain their permission before we go for a pee?
:mad:

Ramrod
09-07-2003, 14:28
Originally posted by Skweeky
Can any one give me some advice. Seems the powers that be at work want our manager to justify the amount of "personal" time we are taking off calls. All we really use this personal time for is a toilet break or else to go get a drink of water. This time is rarely above 10 - 15 mins for each of us each day.
Where do we stand legally? Can they really tell us to stop doing this? Can they ask us that we obtain their permission before we go for a pee?
:mad: I think that's terrible:afire: . It's for reasons like that, that I'm self-employed.

bopdude
09-07-2003, 14:29
I don't know but somewhere on your wall \ s you should have a copy of the health and safty at works act. There will be a number to ring and they should be able to tell you ( I think ) I mean in this hot weather, depending on the conditions, it would be easy to de-hydrate.

Just a thought...good luck :)

Marge
09-07-2003, 14:31
This has some info http://www.hazards.org/toiletbreaks/toiletbreaks2.htm#uklaw

darkangel
09-07-2003, 14:49
:mad: how big is your company?
do u have union representation, is so who?
they must be reacting to people taking pi*ss i can't believe any manager would restrict toilet breaks unless ur going for a coffee and a cig at the same time

Martin
09-07-2003, 15:33
Some companys just go way to far with rules:( You should be able to do your job without having to hold on to go to the toilet.:( Crazy, world we live in.

BubbleGum
09-07-2003, 15:43
:mad:
Buy yourself some Huggies pullups until you're toilet trained and can go before you get into work and at your dinner break :rofl:

Skweeky
09-07-2003, 15:59
Thanks for the suggestions and the link.
Provides some interesting reading

Shaun
09-07-2003, 16:18
Originally posted by darkangel
how big is your company?
do u have union representation, is so who?
they must be reacting to people taking pi*ss i can't believe any manager would restrict toilet breaks unless ur going for a coffee and a cig at the same time

When I worked in the natwe*t call centre here in Leicester they monitored your 'personal' time and 'suggested' that it be less than 5 min a day, but saying that we did get a 15 min break morning and afternoon as well as an hour for lunch.

Bifta
09-07-2003, 16:38
They are perfectly entitled to expect a "request" to use the toilet, especially in a busy call centre, but they are not allowed (as far as I know) to deny that request, the only reason they should expect such a request (how many times can I use this word in one post) is to know where you are if your chair is empty.

imback
09-07-2003, 16:55
Originally posted by Bifta
They are perfectly entitled to expect a "request" to use the toilet, especially in a busy call centre, but they are not allowed (as far as I know) to deny that request, the only reason they should expect such a request (how many times can I use this word in one post) is to know where you are if your chair is empty.

Yep you are correct, someone needs to know where you are at all times incase the building needs to be evacuated or something and so every person needs to be accounted for.

Dave Stones
09-07-2003, 17:09
last place i worked at we were entitled to 30 minutes off every 6 hours to be taken as and when we wanted... this 30 minutes was law apparently... dunno bout your place though :confused: