PDA

View Full Version : Getting terrestial channels using a splitter

bunnahnah
25-02-2004, 18:15
Hi,

Some of you may have seen my post 2-3 weeks ago regarding a NTL house move install. Well, suffice to say that NTL finally got around to installing the cable modem today. Hooray! :)

Anyhow, I found out today that I am able to get terrestial channel off the NTL cable to my TV. However, I did not manage to ask the engineer to loan/give me a splitter. I was wondering if anyone here has bought a splitter or knows if I can get one off NTL free? This way, I can watch terrestial TV and surf the Net! :naughty:

Thanks for reading!

bun

eein
27-02-2004, 13:15
You can buy splitters from electonics shops like Maplin, RS and Farnell. Not sure the exact type or standard though. Not sure how connecting 'third party' stuff sits with teh ntl t&cs though.

I have a few splitters that I have collected over the addresses I have had ntl at. They take the box back, but never the cable and splitters!

paulyoung666
27-02-2004, 13:33
you shouldnt play with the coax :(

bunnahnah
27-02-2004, 14:31
I guess Paul is quite right that I should not play with the co-ax. Actually the biggest thing that worries me is that I will kill the upstream communication from my cable modem if I use a splitter not supplied by NTL.:pp

On the other hand, I am interested to know what splitters do NTL use? 5-1000MHz ones, I suppose. eein :wavey: , maybe you can enlighten me. :naughty:

confusion_boy
29-02-2004, 12:11
Hi Mate,

Ive been using the 2 Way F-Type splitter (code QQ69A) from Maplin for over a year and ive never had any problems with it whatsoever... although thats not to say there have been no problems... just not the splitters fault!

Hope this helps,

Mike

eein
04-03-2004, 09:51
I guess Paul is quite right that I should not play with the co-ax. Actually the biggest thing that worries me is that I will kill the upstream communication from my cable modem if I use a splitter not supplied by NTL.:pp

On the other hand, I am interested to know what splitters do NTL use? 5-1000MHz ones, I suppose. eein :wavey: , maybe you can enlighten me. :naughty:
The one I have in front of my jsut now does indeed say 5-1000MHz on it.

An RF splitter is an RF splitter regardless of who made it, but I would still agree that using an ntl one is advisable, if only to ensure you use the right spec.

A_KILLJOY
12-03-2004, 17:56
The one I have in front of my jsut now does indeed say 5-1000MHz on it.

An RF splitter is an RF splitter regardless of who made it, but I would still agree that using an ntl one is advisable, if only to ensure you use the right spec.
Okay so at last I will be able to record terrestial whilst watching a cable channel.
At the risk of a sking a stupid question are you talking about a splitter before or after the STB ~ i assume you mean before and that the terrestial channels are carried on top of the digital signal, or have I got the wrong end of this thread /:confused:

geoffneck
24-03-2004, 16:02
Im interested in this. I presume from what i've read... The cable coming from my wall box goes to a splitter (already installed). One cable goes off to the STB and the other off to BB.

I want to view NTL normally, but record terrestrial on my PC. Do i put another splitter on the cable going to the STB (after the installed splitter) and direct the coax direct into my (about to buy) Hauppage 250 ariel in?

Nemesis
24-03-2004, 16:07
The splitter goes before the STB .. I have this done already. Cable enters house and is split, one feeds standard tele to all rooms the other is split again feeding 2 STB's. Not had any problems at all. Splitters were supplied by NTL engineer ... ;)

geoffneck
25-03-2004, 13:49
NEMESIS>> Do you know how much NTL charge for an extra STB?

Mark G
25-03-2004, 15:28
NEMESIS>> Do you know how much NTL charge for an extra STB?
£15 a month

bubs999
05-08-2007, 18:57
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but it came up in the search :p:

I take it this splitter could be used to feed a STB (V+) and then the 2nd feed, to a cable modem?

This is what I have in the loft that was installed by NTL years ago, but I want to move my cable modem to a new room.

MovedGoalPosts
05-08-2007, 19:20
Cable TV and broadband feeds share the same connection via the splitters, so yes in theory change the cable length and you can relocate kit. Just be very careful. The wrong type of cable, a poorly formed connection and you'll degrade your own signal and potentially that of your neighbours. Even just changing the cable type or length can affect the wiring resistance and thus cause you problems. It's why in the VM terms of use, cable prior to your set top box or modem is for Virgin Media, not the customer to maintain.

largo
10-08-2007, 11:41
The splitters used by Virgin are Qamtex. Specifically designed for use on cable systems.
It's wise to only use this type and not cheapo rubbish from city stores.
You can buy these, Just do a search for qamtex.
C..

Felim_Doyle
09-10-2007, 09:33
I take it that the VM supplied splitter for the set-top-box and cable modem is just a resistive splitter and does not contain any RF components such as high/low pass filters as used with ADSL. Also, VM specify which socket on the filter should go to the STB and which should go to the CM. Does this imply that the splitter is asymmetric (i.e. different resistance on once side from the other)?

Basically, when I installed my cable modem recently I put the VM splitter in first and fed the STB side to my existing four way (yes 4-way!) splitter. The CM worked fine but the STB couldn't hold onto the signal. If I could do away with the VM splitter and feed the CM from my own without degrading the broadband signal that would be great. Alternatively, I could just get a smaller filter as I don't really need all four outputs.

largo
09-10-2007, 10:03
Also, VM specify which socket on the filter should go to the STB and which should go to the CM. .
No, it does not matter which side goes to what ,as both the same.

icstm
09-10-2007, 15:40
Another question on this:
When using coax, (either 50ohm or 75ohm) you should terminate the end of a splitter not in use. Does the same apply for unused cable ends?

Graham M
09-10-2007, 15:45
Another question on this:
When using coax, (either 50ohm or 75ohm) you should terminate the end of a splitter not in use. Does the same apply for unused cable ends?

Why would there be a lose Cable end?

PS1
13-10-2007, 10:15
you shouldnt play with the coax :(

matches or sharp objects either:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

icstm
15-10-2007, 17:26
Why would there be a lose Cable end?

It is to do with impedance matching. (The imaginary part ('j') of resistance).

(for techies, z=r+yj) where r is the resistance).

Unless you terminate a normal coax (like on a tv line or pre ethernet bnc type networks) you get losses as this sort of system always like to see either 50ohm or 75 ohm at any end. As long as it is plugged into something there is no problem.

If you leave it loose, then there is.

beauchampy
22-10-2007, 21:33
Can I split my incoming signal 4 ways? Or do you think this would be too lossy? I want to get the terrestial channels into 4 different rooms.