PDA

View Full Version : Southern Electric with new broadband svc

Daniel davies
25-02-2004, 02:58
bet the UL will be 256 or lower.

has anyone got this, just out of interest.

www.southern-electric.co.uk/broadband/

Bifta
25-02-2004, 08:56

has anyone got this, just out of interest.

www.southern-electric.co.uk/broadband/

Did you not actually read the site yourself?

"up to 20 times faster than dial up" .. i.e. 1 megabit
"Symetrical speed of downloading and uploading"

lemarsh
25-02-2004, 09:18
Broadband from Southern Electric is the only broadband service that can provide you with the same speed to the internet as well as from the internet

Paul
25-02-2004, 09:28

I bet it won't ;)

Chris
25-02-2004, 09:36
Sadly this is not much use to you at the moment unless you live in Winchester, Stonehaven or, I think, Campbeltown ... possibly one or two other small Scottish towns as well. It's Scottish Hydro that has dreamed up this scheme, with Southern as their parent company now taking the glory.

They seem to be selling it as hassle-free, but in previous threads on here about power line broadband, the technology has had a bit of a pasting from some ... something about it interfering with your neighbours' appliances. Anyone know any more?

Stuartbe
25-02-2004, 11:02
Gime Gime ..... Sounds rather nice.... :)

Stuart
25-02-2004, 11:09
Did you not actually read the site yourself?

"up to 20 times faster than dial up" .. i.e. 1 megabit
"Symetrical speed of downloading and uploading"
I like the way they say you get "up to 1 Meg".

Bifta
25-02-2004, 11:12
I like the way they say you get "up to 1 Meg".

Nearly all service providors will say "up to 10 x" or "up to 20 x" to cover themselves when the service degrades due to contention.

Stuart
25-02-2004, 11:35
Nearly all service providors will say "up to 10 x" or "up to 20 x" to cover themselves when the service degrades due to contention.
True, but IIRC Powerline broadband seems to have more trouble with contention than other Broadband services.

I could be wrong though.

swoop101
25-02-2004, 11:38
They seem to be selling it as hassle-free, but in previous threads on here about power line broadband, the technology has had a bit of a pasting from some ... something about it interfering with your neighbours' appliances. Anyone know any more?

Read the info HERE (http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/) it would seem that there are quite a few serious problems to be sorted first.(unless you don't like your neighbours) :D :rolleyes:

Stuartbe
25-02-2004, 12:19
The contention is going to be down to several factors.

1. How many people are connected to the substation as this is where the broadband connection is going to be.

2. If there are any heavy industrial sites on your phase. The uk electricity supply has three phases. Red, Yellow and blue

3. The contention will allso depend on your phase. For example - The user next door may be on the red phase and you will be on blue ect....

Most streets are wired with alternated phases to distribute the load so going down the street it would be red yellow blue - red on the first house yellow on the second and so on....

The contention would depend on the ammount of users on each phase. If you were the only person on the red phase for example then the only contention would be at the substation - where the biggest connection to the internet pipe exists ECT...

abailey152
25-02-2004, 13:40
The contention would depend on the ammount of users on each phase. If you were the only person on the red phase for example then the only contention would be at the substation - where the biggest connection to the internet pipe exists ECT...
According to their FAQ page, contention rates are less than normal ISP's. I wonder if this until they get busy?

I suppose the bandwidth available would vary greatly depending on noise. A factory with a lot of inductive loads switching in and out a lot would be a nightmare I guess.

Stuartbe
25-02-2004, 15:17
According to their FAQ page, contention rates are less than normal ISP's. I wonder if this until they get busy?

I suppose the bandwidth available would vary greatly depending on noise. A factory with a lot of inductive loads switching in and out a lot would be a nightmare I guess.

Very true... At my old work there was an engineering company that used spark eroders.... Our servers were on the same phase and used to crash despite a UPS.... !

Fixed it with line filters in the end....

I think that the connection will be great until its bussy. - A little like my NTL connection !

Florence
25-02-2004, 15:48
I did post about this internet trials when we had our first interview with Keith MacLean. We have since had a second interview with Keith and both interviews are on ISPr in the articles.

An interview with Keith MacLean (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/power/) second interview with Keith MacLean (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/power2/) Hope you all find the information as interesting as I did. I do know some still say it will not happen but I am an optimist and feel this time it will. :D

abailey152
25-02-2004, 16:15
I think that the connection will be great until its bussy. - A little like my NTL connection !
Yep, like mine too! ;)