PDA

View Full Version : Not fair

peterska2
08-07-2003, 22:15
Well everybody what do you make of this?

I was greated at my car this morning by a big red ticket for the police.

My car was parked in it's usual spot half on the kerb and half on the road outside my house.

I reads the ticket and nearly faints :eek: £1000 fine for not displaying a tax disc :eek:

The tax disc was there had just dropped of the window and was lay face up on the dash :grind:

Loadsa calls to the DVLA and still no joy. Need to get in touch with my local office who don't answer the phone and don't ring me back :afire:

Any thoughts????

poolking
08-07-2003, 22:16
Originally posted by peterska2
Well everybody what do you make of this?

I was greated at my car this morning by a big red ticket for the police.

My car was parked in it's usual spot half on the kerb and half on the road outside my house.

I reads the ticket and nearly faints :eek: £1000 fine for not displaying a tax disc :eek:

The tax disc was there had just dropped of the window and was lay face up on the dash :grind:

Loadsa calls to the DVLA and still no joy. Need to get in touch with my local office who don't answer the phone and don't ring me back :afire:

Any thoughts????

I don't know whether there is anything you can do, because all they'll do is argue that you were not displaying your tax disc at the time they checked your car.

peterska2
08-07-2003, 22:18
But the tax disc was displayed if they looked it was just not stuck to the window :cry:

Martin
08-07-2003, 22:24

Thats what they all say.:p I would have thought you can challenge them as you have a Tax Disc and its valid. Isn't there someone you write to to challenge tickets? I have never had one personally but seem to recall someone telling me they wrote to someone.

poolking
08-07-2003, 22:28
But the tax disc was displayed if they looked it was just not stuck to the window :cry:

Yeah, but they'll still probably say it should be affixed to the windscreen.

matty4donna
Originally posted by Martin
I have never had one personally but seem to recall someone telling me they wrote to someone. Thats what they all say :D

I think Martin is right though, there must be some way to appeal against the fine :confused:

peterska2
But wouldn't I need to get in touch with my local DVLA office to find out where to write to :(

I cant get hold of them so back to square one again :grind:

Roy MM
08-07-2003, 22:29
Think that's just for parking tickets Martin, the law regarding tax discs is it must be on display viewable to a police officer driving by or on foot, not having to look on the dashboard. :(

peterska2
08-07-2003, 22:30
Originally posted by poolking
Yeah, but they'll still probably say it should be affixed to the windscreen.

If it hadn't of fell of in the night it would have been.

Was attached when I parked up last night.

peterska2
08-07-2003, 22:31
Originally posted by Roy MM
Think that's just for parking tickets Martin, the law regarding tax discs is it must be on display viewable to a police officer driving by or on foot, not having to look on the dashboard. :(

I take it I need to find a bank to rob then :( :( :(

poolking
08-07-2003, 22:31
If it hadn't of fell of in the night it would have been.

Was attached when I parked up last night.

Plead your case to the police and let us know what happens.

peterska2
08-07-2003, 22:33
Originally posted by poolking
Plead your case to the police and let us know what happens.

Would this me the Bolton police, Manchester police or 999 police?

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 22:40
http://www.merseyside.police.uk/FAQ/m/m.html#mot42 - probably wont help but i cannot find much info about this type of fine in the net. It basically says you refuse to pay the fine and just go to court to appeal against it.

Martin
08-07-2003, 22:41
Does it not say anything on the ticket about appealing? You have a tax disc after all.:) I would give the Local Police Station a bell and ask them for advice on what to do. I think the fine is £80 rising to £1,000 if it went to court.:(

Don't ring 999 whatever you do thats for emergencys, don't want waisting police time adding.

peterska2
08-07-2003, 22:44
Originally posted by matty4donna
http://www.merseyside.police.uk/FAQ/m/m.html#mot42 - probably wont help but i cannot find much info about this type of fine in the net. It basically says you refuse to pay the fine and just go to court to appeal against it.

And lose a days pay and still probably end up paying it anyway.

Just my luck really :( and I dont fancy having to go into the courthiuse again. Everytime I go there something bad happens :(

peterska2
08-07-2003, 22:46
Does it not say anything on the ticket about appealing? You have a tax disc after all.:) I would give the Local Police Station a bell and ask them for advice on what to do. I think the fine is £80 rising to £1,000 if it went to court.:(

Don't ring 999 whatever you do thats for emergencys, don't want waisting police time adding.

The ticket is only an advance notification so it hasn't got much info on it.

All it says it that it is £1000.

I think 999 would be right tho coz it is an emergancy - well to me anyway ;)

Martin
08-07-2003, 22:47
You can contact Greater Manchester Police using the form on this page http://www.gmp.police.uk/servlet/Feedback

This is the number for them 0161 872 5050

peterska2
08-07-2003, 22:49
You can contact Greater Manchester Police using the form on this page http://www.gmp.police.uk/servlet/Feedback

This is the number for them 0161 872 5050

Cheers Martin will do.

poolking
08-07-2003, 22:51
Would this me the Bolton police, Manchester police or 999 police?

Whichever police force gave you the ticket.

bopdude
08-07-2003, 23:00
The ticket is only an advance notification so it hasn't got much info on it.

All it says it that it is £1000.

I think 999 would be right tho coz it is an emergancy - well to me anyway ;)

Do not dial 999 as this is not an emergency ( not even to you )

As stated previously, contact the station that issued the ticket and ask to speak to the relevent person.

Explain what happened and you will probably be asked to produce the tax disc within 7 days, simple as that, also get the names and badge numbers of those you speak to as IF for whatever reason they want to be bloody minded about this, IF it goes to court ( which it wont ) you can tell the judge that you tried to sort things out and that ( the officers mentioned ) could do nothing.

I dont think the judge would like the waste of his and the courts time.

EDIT :- I have just been told that you work for DVLA, is this right ? if so you should know what to do, so why post ?

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:05
If I present the tax disc at the station I will have to remove it from my car. Where would I leave the car while I go to the station as I dont have a driveway :confused:

bopdude
08-07-2003, 23:06
If I present the tax disc at the station I will have to remove it from my car. Where would I leave the car while I go to the station as I don't have a driveway :confused:

park it in the station car park with a note sating " inside with licence "

BUT you work for them anyway so you should know this

handyman
08-07-2003, 23:06
kerry you work for the dvla, i know its only booking driving tests and all but have you not tried consulting your team leader first before posting on the forum? :)

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:07
Originally posted by bopdude
<snip>
EDIT :- I have just been told that you work for DVLA, is this right ? if so you should know what to do, so why post ?

Actually I work for the DSA.

Completely different.

I'm the cow who you have to book your theory tests through.

Evil job

handyman
08-07-2003, 23:08
so why you tell me you work for the dvla then?

just got a new job starting on Monday working for the
DVLA

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:10
Coz I thought it was till I started working there.

Was given duff info which got given out via the forums to a lot of other people.

sorry :dunce:

poolking
Originally posted by handyman
so why you tell me you work for the dvla then?

It's a conspiracy theory being generated in order to confuse you. ;)

Theodoric
The extracts below are from a press release on the DVLA web site (italics are mine). OK, it's 2 year's old, it refers to a particular campaign and the law may have changed since then, but it may be worthwhile getting in touch with the DVLA and asking where this is still true, perhaps pointing out that the words come from the mouth a government minister.

Press Release Number: 3
6th February 2001

ROAD TAX DODGERS TO BE TARGETED IN MAJOR CLAMPDOWN
Thames Valley Police will be joining forces this month with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to launch a major clampdown against road tax dodgers.

Commenting on the campaign, Lord Whitty, Transport Minister, said:

We are out to deter the evader with the threat of inconvenience, prosecution and large fines. We will not be penalising those whose licence discs have fallen off the windscreen or are a few days late renewing them. Law abiding motorists have nothing to fear.

EDIT The link is http://www.dvla.gov.uk/other/press_releases/2001/p_release3_060201.htm

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:13
Originally posted by Theodoric
The extracts below are from a press release on the DVLA web site (italics are mine). OK, it's 2 year's old, it refers to a particular campaign and the law may have changed since then, but it may be worthwhile getting in touch with the DVLA and asking where this is still true, perhaps pointing out that the words come from the mouth a government minister.

Press Release Number: 3
6th February 2001

ROAD TAX DODGERS TO BE TARGETED IN MAJOR CLAMPDOWN
Thames Valley Police will be joining forces this month with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to launch a major clampdown against road tax dodgers.

Commenting on the campaign, Lord Whitty, Transport Minister, said:

We are out to deter the evader with the threat of inconvenience, prosecution and large fines. We will not be penalising those whose licence discs have fallen off the windscreen or are a few days late renewing them. Law abiding motorists have nothing to fear.

There is hope for me yet then :D

*phew*

bopdude
08-07-2003, 23:14
[i]We will not be penalising those whose licence discs have fallen off the windscreen or are a few days late renewing them. Law abiding motorists have nothing to fear. [/B]

My point exactly, nothing to hide, no bad..... case and point

poolking
08-07-2003, 23:15
That's definetly out of date, I've been hearing there is now NO grace period, if you are caught without a tax disc even if you are day late you will get ticket, I think that's why SORN was brought in.

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:16
NOOOOOOOOOOO :grind: :grind:

My theorys and visions of escape have been shattered :cry:

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 23:18
yes on the merseyside police website, it states "No. There is no 14-day 'grace' - you must have a valid tax disc." However it does not really have much to do with this or make any difference in this case, i think he should get away with it as it was obviously an accident and he has already got one.

Martin
08-07-2003, 23:19
Yep I think the basic line is she has one end of story!! Get a new holder thats extra sticky. Challenge all the way.

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 23:19
hehehehe i just had a thought. If they don't let you off with it, we could start campaigning against these type of fines by starting a website dvhella.com hehehehe :D

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:20
think lots of cellotape on windscreen from now on

poolking
08-07-2003, 23:20
As has been suggested, take your tax disc along the police station and show it to them, as it will have the date stamped on the disc from the post office that issued it and see what happens.

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:21
hehehehe i just had a thought. If they don't let you off with it, we could start campaigning against these type of fines by starting a website dvhella.com hehehehe :D

That sounds like a good idea :D

Ramrod
08-07-2003, 23:29
Read the section on what to do if your disc is lost:http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/vehlicnc.htmDuplicates - what if I lose my licence? (TAX DISC)
If your vehicle licence is lost, stolen, destroyed or accidentally damaged in some way, you must apply for a duplicate on form V20. You can get this form from post offices that issue licences and DVLA Local Offices. You can take or send your application, the registration document and the fee to a DVLA Local Office. As long as the vehicle is currently licensed in your name, you will receive a duplicate to cover the full licence period

You could say that you lost your disc the night before you were fined and that you are now applying for a duplicate

Stewh
08-07-2003, 23:29
From personal experience.

Motorcycle tax discs are notoriously easy to steal, so I never had mine mounted on the bike, but always carried it in my wallet.

While in my local police station returning some lost property I came across, I asked about having my tax disc but not displaying it, and the officer behind the desk told me that the tax disc must be mounted on the vehicle, visible to any relevant persons.

Hope you get it sorted tho, particularly as the DVLA must have a record of the vehicle being currently taxed.

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:32
Originally posted by Ramrod
Read the section on what to do if your disc is lost:http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/vehlicnc.htmDuplicates - what if I lose my licence? (TAX DISC)
If your vehicle licence is lost, stolen, destroyed or accidentally damaged in some way, you must apply for a duplicate on form V20. You can get this form from post offices that issue licences and DVLA Local Offices. You can take or send your application, the registration document and the fee to a DVLA Local Office. As long as the vehicle is currently licensed in your name, you will receive a duplicate to cover the full licence period

Cheers ramrod but the tax disc is on display in the windscreen and has been there all the time apart from last night when it fell of and sat on the dash.

So i dont need another just not a fine.

Ramrod
08-07-2003, 23:35
Cheers ramrod but the tax disc is on display in the windscreen and has been there all the time apart from last night when it fell of and sat on the dash.

So i dont need another just not a fine.
I know that, but if it looks like they are unbending on the point that you didn't have your disc displayed, you could say that the reason it wasn't displayed is that it was recently lost....not your fault....oh dear,tut,tut....just applying for a new one:D

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:36
Originally posted by Ramrod
I know that, but if it looks like they are unbending on the point that you didn't have your disc displayed, you could say that the reason it wasn't displayed is that it was recently lost....not your fault....oh dear,tut,tut....just applying for a new one:D

right then.

now i get you.

good thinking batman :D

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 23:40
i think he is best to stick to the truth in this matter as it concerns the law. Lying could make it worse. And tbh he is innocent anyway so.... ;)

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:43
i think he is best to stick to the truth in this matter as it concerns the law. Lying could make it worse. And tbh he is innocent anyway so.... ;)

I agree with you there matty.

Can you pls stop refering to me as 'he' tho.

I AM A SHE

Ramrod
08-07-2003, 23:44
i think he is best to stick to the truth in
He?!?:D

kronas
08-07-2003, 23:45
I agree with you there matty.

I AM A SHE

lol

you could be a he ;) :D

best thing to do get in contact with the police force which issued the ticket and explain what happened should be no problems they should reverse the decision :)

if you have the disc to show and is within the correct dates ofcourse

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 23:46

I AM A SHE Whoops sorry its just i seen the peter bit in you name. No offence meant :dunce:

kronas
08-07-2003, 23:48
Whoops sorry its just i seen the peter bit in you name. No offence meant :dunce:

rotflmao :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

peterska2
08-07-2003, 23:48
dont worry happens all the time.

bopdude
08-07-2003, 23:50
/ wonders how many times the same advice will be posted before peeps stop posting !!!!

As it seems that a solution has been devised ??

Martin
09-07-2003, 00:14
Originally posted by bopdude
/ wonders how many times the same advice will be posted before peeps stop posting !!!!

As it seems that a solution has been devised ??

I was wondering that myself!!:p

Chris
09-07-2003, 01:02
Instructions for opting to go to court instead of accepting the fixed fine are on the back of the ticket.

Go to the magistrates and let them rule on it but get legal advice first. If you broke the letter of the law you may have to plead guilty, but should be able to say some words in mitigation about having the disc but it having fallen off.

Whatever the outcome it is highly unlikely they will enforce the full fine on you.