PDA

View Full Version : Norton Internet Security

Shaun
23-02-2004, 22:34
I've recently bought a new copy of NIS, I used to use Norton AV and firewall (separate programs) and whenever a new program tried to access the net for the first time the firewall would pop up and allow me to make a new rule for it.

Great, just as it should be, but now I've bought NIS it just seems to allow all the programs to access the outside world without questioning it. I've done a test at "shields up" and that shows that my firewall is stealthing all the ports on my comp from the test.

I've tried deleting all the rules in NIS in the hope that it will pop up and ask me to make new rules, but it doesn't, it just allows the programs access out but not in :(

I'm sure it must be something simple, a tic box somewhere maybe but I cant seem to get it to monitor outgoing traffic for the life of me :mad:

Anyone got any good suggestions??

MadGamer
23-02-2004, 22:37
I've recently bought a new copy of NIS, I used to use Norton AV and firewall (separate programs) and whenever a new program tried to access the net for the first time the firewall would pop up and allow me to make a new rule for it.

Great, just as it should be, but now I've bought NIS it just seems to allow all the programs to access the outside world without questioning it. I've done a test at "shields up" and that shows that my firewall is stealthing all the ports on my comp from the test.

I've tried deleting all the rules in NIS in the hope that it will pop up and ask me to make new rules, but it doesn't, it just allows the programs access out but not in :(

I'm sure it must be something simple, a tic box somewhere maybe but I cant seem to get it to monitor outgoing traffic for the life of me :mad:

Anyone got any good suggestions?? Tried resetting to the defult settings?

Shaun
23-02-2004, 22:39
Tried resetting to the defult settings?

I dunno if that will fix it, the only default settings option I can find is related to the alerting level on attacks :(

jellybaby
23-02-2004, 22:49
Have you got automatic program control switched on....if so, maybe the programs you are using have all been classed as safe with symantec??

tkiely
23-02-2004, 23:00
I know its an irrational statement but--- NIS i'm against it!

life force sucking pile of bilge

tkiely
23-02-2004, 23:01
just buy a router and dont open attachments!

Shaun
23-02-2004, 23:51
Have you got automatic program control switched on....if so, maybe the programs you are using have all been classed as safe with symantec??

I thought it may be that so I disabled that feature and tried the leak test program on the "shield's up" site, and it still failed. :( There must be a rational explanation :mad:

bopdude
24-02-2004, 00:20
I thought it may be that so I disabled that feature and tried the leak test program on the "shield's up" site, and it still failed. :( There must be a rational explanation :mad:
Silly question but if you open up NIS and look at the log viewer, under the various actions what does it tell you about blocked actions ?
Is it blocking anything at all ??

Shaun
24-02-2004, 01:13
Silly question but if you open up NIS and look at the log viewer, under the various actions what does it tell you about blocked actions ?
Is it blocking anything at all ??

It seems to be blocking access in but doesn't seem to be blocking out, it's getting to a point where I think the only answer is a clean reinstall, which isn't much of a problem, but it is an inconvenience :(