PDA

View Full Version : Talk 24 and 0845, 0870 numbers

bertJ
23-02-2004, 12:02
I've just set up Talk 24 unlimited. I know that I still have to pay for calls to mobiles, 0845 and 0870 and possibly other special numbers. Firstly I can't seem to find out what other numbers I have to pay for and secondly the actual costs of calls to mobiles, 0845 etc.
Are the charges to these non included numbers the same as my 'old' 321 tariff and do I still have to pay a 5p connection charge to these numbers?
I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me where to find this info from.
Thanks in advance.

Graham F
23-02-2004, 12:08
if you cross reference this... http://www.ntlhome.com/ntl_telephone/pdf/NonGeographDefinitions.pdf

with this... http://www.ntlhome.com/ntl_telephone/pdf/ntltariff.pdf

then you will get your answer :)

Neil
23-02-2004, 12:19
I've just set up Talk 24 unlimited. I know that I still have to pay for calls to mobiles, 0845 and 0870 and possibly other special numbers. Firstly I can't seem to find out what other numbers I have to pay for and secondly the actual costs of calls to mobiles, 0845 etc.
Are the charges to these non included numbers the same as my 'old' 321 tariff and do I still have to pay a 5p connection charge to these numbers?
I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me where to find this info from.
Thanks in advance.

Bert-worth bearing in mind that all the companies that have 0870/0845 numbers that you get charged for also have proper landline numbers (that will be free to you! :D )

Take a look here: http://djbnet.co.uk/tel/

HTH.

chambece
23-02-2004, 12:50
Bert-worth bearing in mind that all the companies that have 0870/0845 numbers that you get charged for also have proper landline numbers (that will be free to you! :D )

Take a look here: http://djbnet.co.uk/tel/

HTH.

I wish I had that link a couple of weeks ago!! Thanks a lot for that!

Neil
23-02-2004, 12:54
I wish I had that link a couple of weeks ago!! Thanks a lot for that!

You're welcome. :)

Derek
23-02-2004, 13:05
The way I normally advise customers is that numbers starting 01 and 02 are free of charge and others may have a charge applied to them.

chambece
23-02-2004, 13:51
Just looked at the pdf - my mobile starts 07810 - and I can't find it on the list - how is this charged?

bertJ
23-02-2004, 15:28
Thanks very much for all that info - very useful. However, could someone clear up this point for me? (I'm probably being thick here!)
Who determines the charge for, say, an 0870 number? Is it the firm receiving the call or is it ntl? In other words do all 0870 numbers cost the same or will they vary depending on how much profit the firm wants to make out of the caller?

Derek
23-02-2004, 15:40
All 0870/0845 numbers are charged at the same level.

I'm not sure whether the telephone company set this or it's an Oftel/Ofcom level so all fixed line companies have to charge the same amount.

orangebird
23-02-2004, 16:08
Thanks very much for all that info - very useful. However, could someone clear up this point for me? (I'm probably being thick here!)
Who determines the charge for, say, an 0870 number? Is it the firm receiving the call or is it ntl? In other words do all 0870 numbers cost the same or will they vary depending on how much profit the firm wants to make out of the caller?

The operator of the number (ie not ntl) decide on the charge of the call. :)

Frank
23-02-2004, 16:18
The operator of the number (ie not ntl) decide on the charge of the call. :)Erm not for 0870 they don't. 0870 is a standard national call, and national call charges are set by the operator.

Neil
23-02-2004, 16:26
I actually think that BT set the call rate, not sure why-I'll look into it now.

Interesting site..... http://www.callforless.co.uk/

Neil
23-02-2004, 16:30
S.3 Responses to the consultation document, The Relationship Between Interconnection Charges and Retail Prices for Number Translation Services, showed that the proposals were generally well received. This Statement therefore confirms the proposals and sets out how they will be implemented from January 2000. There are a number of key aspects of this for both consumers and operators:

New numbering arrangements are necessary so that customers have some idea of what services will cost. 0800, 0845 and 0870 will continue to mean what they do today (free, up to local rate, up to national rate). Two new numbering ranges will be introduced: 0844 (up to 5ppm) and 0871 (up to 10ppm). Specific 0844 numbers will be assigned for Internet access.
BTâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s originating retention will be set according to the direction which Oftel has already made on NTS conveyance charging. A review of the appropriate level of retail costs will be completed before Christmas.
Terminating operators should now put in hand preparations for advising BT of the termination payments they require for access to their services. Where these involve a new price BT will need to adjust its billing systems and give notice to Oftel, industry and consumers in the normal way.
S.4 These arrangements do not apply to originating operators other than BT. These operators are free to set their own originating charges and it is up to them to negotiate with terminating operators the payments required for access to their services.

From here:http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/publications/1999/consumer/nts1299.htm#Summary (Although it might be out of date)

orangebird
23-02-2004, 16:34
The operator of the number (ie not ntl) decide on the charge of the call. :)

I stand corrected. :)

Sorry - premium number rates are decided by the owner of the number.

bertJ
24-02-2004, 12:30
The phrase 'can of worms' springs to mind!

Rillington
01-03-2004, 14:21
The links are handy but it would have been good if someone could have answered the questions on here rather than telling people to download lots of data.

On BT, their Option harges are slightly lower than the standard BT rates. 0870 numbers are 7.5p/min pek=ak, 3.5p offpeak 1.5p weekend. 0845 numbers ar 3p/min peak and 1p/min eve and weekend.

As for ntl, I have always been under the impression that they are BT standrad rates which would be 0870 8p/min peak 4p offpeak and 2p weekend with 0845 being 4p/min peak 1.5p offpeak and 1p/m weekend.