PDA

View Full Version : Walkie Talkie things?

Caspar
20-02-2004, 19:03
I'm in the market for a radio CB type thing.

I've found this product at Amazon, but is there any better cheaper? or even this one cheaper elsewhere?

Cobra MT700 Cobra Microtalk Pmr 446 Radio (Pair) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000087H99/qid=1077303367/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-6063362-3397262)

Proppinupthebar
20-02-2004, 19:08
How far do you want to be able to talk over? The licence free PMR's are good for approx 1 mile (they say further but I've not experienced it).
Do a search on PMR, they are all compatible as they all use a set range of frequencies. Maplin do some as well.

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 19:12
How far do you want to be able to talk over? The licence free PMR's are good for approx 1 mile (they say further but I've not experienced it).
Do a search on PMR, they are all compatible as they all use a set range of frequencies. Maplin do some as well.

There are loads of PMR sets on the market. Due to the licence they have a limited transmit power on them. The very best that you will get is about 2 miles line of sight (no obstructions)

BTW - they are not secure and only have 8 chnls. you may find kids keying up over you all the time.

Some of them have coded dtmf squelch sub chnls. 40 usualy but they wont prevent someone from listening in.

HTH

Steve H
20-02-2004, 19:21

You got a radioshack type shop around your place?.. its best checking at a place like that.

Proppinupthebar
20-02-2004, 19:23
There are loads of PMR sets on the market. Due to the licence they have a limited transmit power on them. The very best that you will get is about 2 miles line of sight (no obstructions)

BTW - they are not secure and only have 8 chnls. you may find kids keying up over you all the time.

Some of them have coded dtmf squelch sub chnls. 40 usualy but they wont prevent someone from listening in.

HTH

You aren't going to find anything licence free and secure.

I've had PMR's for a couple of years, they are fine for short range comms, on the beach, between two cars for example.

Proppinupthebar
20-02-2004, 19:24
Why's everyone quoting me? Its Caspar asking !!!!!!

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 19:25
Why's everyone quoting me? Its Caspar asking !!!!!!

LOL - sorry m8.......................I need more beer ! :D

Caspar
20-02-2004, 19:46
Cheers guys :)

Proppinupthebar
20-02-2004, 19:47
One thing I would add is don't forget batteries. Some of the radios come with a charger and rechargeable batteries. Often worth paying a little bit more for that, rather than paying extra long term in batteries.

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 19:47
Pro noblem m8

Jon T
20-02-2004, 20:10
PMR446 as it's known(they transmit at 466MHz, hence the name), are very dependant on terrain as a result of their frequency and low transmit power, usually about 1 to 2 miles can be acheived depending on the location of transmitting and receiving units.

As stated somewhere above, they have 8 channels which can be multiplied(sort of) by the use of a tone squelch system called CTCSS, this is a tone transmitted below the range of human hearing and which allows other radio users on the same frequency to "lock" their squelches closed untill a signal with the correct CTCSS tone is recieved.

If you do choose to buy some PMR446's, buy some cheap one's, see how you go, and if you ever need to buy more units, you can decide if you want to go for more expensive models or not. Every model is compatible with one another, so you could mix and match, a nice shiny expensive one for you, a cheap less functional one for the kids.

If you ever decide to go beyond what PMR446 can offer, then go for a Foundation Amateur Radio License, and have more fun with the airwaves.

*i've got a full UK amateur radio license and enjoy every minute of my chosen hobby.

Jon

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 20:21
PMR446 as it's known(they transmit at 466MHz, hence the name), are very dependant on terrain as a result of their frequency and low transmit power, usually about 1 to 2 miles can be acheived depending on the location of transmitting and receiving units.

As stated somewhere above, they have 8 channels which can be multiplied(sort of) by the use of a tone squelch system called CTCSS, this is a tone transmitted below the range of human hearing and which allows other radio users on the same frequency to "lock" their squelches closed untill a signal with the correct CTCSS tone is recieved.

If you do choose to buy some PMR446's, buy some cheap one's, see how you go, and if you ever need to buy more units, you can decide if you want to go for more expensive models or not. Every model is compatible with one another, so you could mix and match, a nice shiny expensive one for you, a cheap less functional one for the kids.

If you ever decide to go beyond what PMR446 can offer, then go for a Foundation Amateur Radio License, and have more fun with the airwaves.

*i've got a full UK amateur radio license and enjoy every minute of my chosen hobby.

Jon

You a ham m8 ?

Caspar
20-02-2004, 20:35
Pro noblem m8

You a ham m8 ?

Has your keyboard broken mate :rofl: :)

Jon T
20-02-2004, 20:40
You a ham m8 ?

yep, i'm a ham, was a well known fact on the .com site, one particular thread established that there were about six of seven hams among the old .com membership, of these I only know of one(other than me) that is deffinatly registered here.

Jon

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 21:19
Has your keyboard broken mate :rofl: :)

Nope :rofl:

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 21:20
yep, i'm a ham, was a well known fact on the .com site, one particular thread established that there were about six of seven hams among the old .com membership, of these I only know of one(other than me) that is deffinatly registered here.

Jon

I used to be but I have got rid of nearly all my gear now. I still Have a yuperuto scanner and small sw set but I dont tx anymore. I now live in flats so I cant put up an antenna :(

Nikko
20-02-2004, 21:43
If you are an ex ham, does that mean you are cured?

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 21:45

Far from it. When I get my new place I will be kitting myself up again. My licence is still valid. I am looking forward to it. There is a japaneese guy I used to talk to on the 2cm band that was funny :)

Sipowicz
20-02-2004, 21:46

Groan..............................

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 21:47
Groan..............................

I did see it - I just ignored it :rofl:

Proppinupthebar
20-02-2004, 22:01
I used to be but I have got rid of nearly all my gear now. I still Have a yuperuto scanner and small sw set but I dont tx anymore. I now live in flats so I cant put up an antenna :(

I've got a Yuppie 7100, an ICOM PCR1000, an ICOM 7800 MKII, and an ICOM R75.

I never got round to the HAM exams, despite doing RF to MSc level. I listen mainly to plod these days. Makes interesting listening some nights.

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 22:04
I've got a Yuppie 7100, an ICOM PCR1000, an ICOM 7800 MKII, and an ICOM R75.

I never got round to the HAM exams, despite doing RF to MSc level. I listen mainly to plod these days. Makes interesting listening some nights.

They have started using the " Airwaves " system in luton now so its a bit harder. A decent d to a convertor and a pc does the job though....

I still have my trusty MVT-7100 and a Nikkai freq scanner :)

Proppinupthebar
20-02-2004, 22:14
I thort Airwaves was meant to be encrypted? Also known as TETRA. Most traffic seems to be analogue still at the mo.

Paul
20-02-2004, 22:20
I thort Airwaves was meant to be encrypted? Also known as TETRA. Most traffic seems to be analogue still at the mo.
:notopic: alert.

Back to the subject in hand - I have a set of BT Freeway radios which use the previously mentioned CTCSS system - they are great for what I use them for (local building communication). I have not tested the range of them - I would estimate that the furthest apart I have used them is about 3/4 mile. They came with rechargable batteries and charging units to stand them in.

Caspar
20-02-2004, 22:22
What's the model of them? Any links about? :)

Paul
20-02-2004, 22:25
What's the model of them? Any links about? :)

http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/008276

Caspar
20-02-2004, 22:29
Has anyone else used these...I fancy buying tonight! :pp :D

I'll try and find them on Amazon.co.uk, may aswell make use of nthw's affiliate program... *remember to pay the elec bills! :pp :)

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 22:31

Yep - they are supposed to be buit its not my fault if they use a crap seed key for the encryption.. :D

Anyway - back on topic before we get a slap :)

Maplins do a decent set of motorola pmr's with batteries and charger.

They also do one called " snake " (I think) that offers basic encryption of the carier...

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 22:32
Has anyone else used these...I fancy buying tonight! :pp :D

I'll try and find them on Amazon.co.uk, may aswell make use of nthw's affiliate program... *remember to pay the elec bills! :pp :)

I would have a look but the link does not work for me :(

Edit - o.k. was on a bad proxy...

They dont look to bad - have a look on maplins website - http://www.maplin.co.uk/

Check before you go for a set....

BTW In case it interests you - there is a guy in stopsley Luton that has set up a pmr relay over the net so you can talk to people all over the world on 446mhz... :)

Caspar
20-02-2004, 22:34
What about this PMRMT700 radio:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CDU3P/ref=pd_sim_ce_dp_3/202-2489312-6121468

Caspar
20-02-2004, 22:34
I would have a look but the link does not work for me :(

Which link doesn't work? :confused:

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 22:37
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CDU3P/ref=pd_sim_ce_dp_3/202-2489312-6121468

I have had a look at those - They are a bit tinny - Dont bother m8

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 22:38
Which link doesn't work? :confused:

Its o.k. its working now - duff proxy... my proxys keep changing automaticaly on the ISA server to the fastest one. ( Does not allways work ) :)

Proppinupthebar
20-02-2004, 22:38
:notopic: alert.

Back to the subject in hand - I have a set of BT Freeway radios which use the previously mentioned CTCSS system - they are great for what I use them for (local building communication). I have not tested the range of them - I would estimate that the furthest apart I have used them is about 3/4 mile. They came with rechargable batteries and charging units to stand them in.

Its all about walkie talkies and communication standards.

Sorry hadnt realised they'd left you in command.

Paul
20-02-2004, 22:40

Looks like you have to buy rechargable batteries and charger separately - apart from that they look ok.

Caspar
20-02-2004, 22:42

Actually, I think it did go off topic :D ..cause it's about an amateur buying a walkie talking for walking the dog! ....the high-tech Hams is on another level and complete dutch to the most of us... so putting it in this thread is off topic...imo :)

...but we'll let it go! :pp

Caspar
20-02-2004, 22:43
Looks like you have to buy rechargable batteries and charger separately - apart from that they look ok.

I'll keep with the one you suggested then, it's a fiver cheaper at the BT shop too, compared to Amazon :)

Paul
20-02-2004, 22:47
Um, amateur radio and comms standards are not what caspar asked about. :pp

Well now you know - apology accepted - don't do it again. :D

Proppinupthebar
20-02-2004, 22:49

I think Caspars query was answered in the first few answers then. I think qualifications I outrank you (spelling).

Proppinupthebar
20-02-2004, 22:50
Now we're off topic!

zoombini
20-02-2004, 22:51
And if you get one at a local shop, you have an easier place to go to if they fail, so you can argue with someone face to face...lol

I'd love a pair (or even several pairs) of these babies, enabling instant comms to the kids etc while out shopping, camping etc.

So if they are for you while walking the dog, how is the dog going to operate it? :D

BTW Jon I'm a G7 - or I was till I let it lapse, still have a few PMR sets & my 144mhz box sitting in the loft somewhere, the net sort of took over for instant coms in thier place.

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 22:55

LOL - Sorry pem :D

Waits for someone to anounce that W.A.R.F. Is an actor in startrek :rofl:

Caspar
20-02-2004, 22:55
So if they are for you while walking the dog, how is the dog going to operate it? :D

Either you are assuming the dog takes itself for a walk is barmy!, or you are foolish thinking I'd need to radio my dog which is <1meter away from me!.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :pp :pp :)

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 22:57
Either you are assuming the dog takes itself for a walk is barmy!, or you are foolish thinking I'd need to radio my dog which is <1meter away from me!.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :pp :pp :)

Dog to owner - Dog to owner.... Where's my food ??? :D

Nikko
20-02-2004, 23:43

You can buy a high frequency modulated lead which allows roaming, but keeps the range well within the command station instructions -

I have seen a few old biddies with these, sort of like a fishing reel arrangement. (tartan jacket extra)

Flubflow
21-02-2004, 00:25
The old CB radios are better than these new PMR walkie-talkies for range.

Do people still do morse code these days?
Ages ago I downloaded a freeware program that converts audible morse via your soundcard input into text (I don't really know much about it but I think I need SW reciever that has Carrier Wave or sumfink like dat ?).

Stuartbe
21-02-2004, 11:24
The old CB radios are better than these new PMR walkie-talkies for range.

Do people still do morse code these days?
Ages ago I downloaded a freeware program that converts audible morse via your soundcard input into text (I don't really know much about it but I think I need SW reciever that has Carrier Wave or sumfink like dat ?).

The cb system does have better range but sadly it is ocupied mostly by wally's these days. I have not bothered with cb for years...

People do still use morse. It was part of the radio ham exam when I took mine. I dont know if it still is though.

The morse decode programs are usualy known as " ritty titty " decoders.

paulyoung666
21-02-2004, 11:34
The cb system does have better range but sadly it is ocupied mostly by wally's these days. I have not bothered with cb for years...

People do still use morse. It was part of the radio ham exam when I took mine. I dont know if it still is though.

The morse decode programs are usualy known as " ritty titty " decoders.

it still is , i just checked (http://www.purchon.co.uk/radio/rae.html) :)

Jon T
21-02-2004, 11:48
it still is , i just checked (http://www.purchon.co.uk/radio/rae.html) :)

That page was factullay wrong when written, and is now even more incorrect due to being updated due to changes in the licence system.

The full Radio License used to split into Class A(morse test pass required) and Class B(no morse), however in the middle of last year the international morse requirement was dropped, and the British licensing authorities(then called the RA) soon followed, from that point on the Class A and B licences were merged and is now simply reffered to as the full license.

For reference go to www.rsgb.org

Jon

Stuartbe
21-02-2004, 12:12
That page was factullay wrong when written, and is now even more incorrect due to being updated due to changes in the licence system.

The full Radio License used to split into Class A(morse test pass required) and Class B(no morse), however in the middle of last year the international morse requirement was dropped, and the British licensing authorities(then called the RA) soon followed, from that point on the Class A and B licences were merged and is now simply reffered to as the full license.

For reference go to www.rsgb.org

Jon

I had heard that they were going to merge them.

Anyway :notopic: Have you decided on a pmr set yet Casper ?

zoombini
22-02-2004, 16:44
CB's might be better for range etc but they are not for fitting into your pocket...

OF course, you might consider the cost of a years worth of text messages sent back & forth instead? At a maximum of £20 on Orange it can be cheaper than £50 for the radios that conk out or you damage/lose after a couple of years.

Even NTL do these little radios, everyone is getting in on the act.

And I doubt that Caspar wants to use Morse code to chat using them. :D

Caspar
22-02-2004, 20:19
Anyway :notopic: Have you decided on a pmr set yet Casper ?

I'm looking at these at the mo:
MR200 Twin Pack PMR Walkie Talkie (http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040220225031763&moduleno=36535&Products=1)

or:
MT500-2 PMR446 2-Way Radios 2pk (http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040220225031763&moduleno=32975&Products=7)

Cheap and cheerful! What do you think? :)

Proppinupthebar
22-02-2004, 20:32
I'm looking at these at the mo:
MR200 Twin Pack PMR Walkie Talkie (http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040220225031763&moduleno=36535&Products=1)

or:
MT500-2 PMR446 2-Way Radios 2pk (http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040220225031763&moduleno=32975&Products=7)

I got the the Motorola T5522 Motorola set which comes with a desktop charger and rechargeable batteries. Its about 90quid but bear in mind if you want to use them regularly you will save with rechargeable batteries, and the chargers included.

How did you post the links to Maplin? I have to pass on part codes usually!!

Caspar
22-02-2004, 20:48
How did you post the links to Maplin? I have to pass on part codes usually!!

Is your editor (where you type your post message) in standard or advanced mode, not the simple text one?

The options bar gives you hyperlink button, on clicking it asks you for a title, what the post reader sees, and then the URL, which it encodes as an anchor link :)

Proppinupthebar
22-02-2004, 20:52
No thats not how I meant, I only see the www.maplin.co.uk url address no matter what I am looking at on Maplins site?

Caspar
22-02-2004, 20:55
No thats not how I meant, I only see the www.maplin.co.uk url address no matter what I am looking at on Maplins site?

Oh right, yeah...well I copied the hyperlink that the search box gave me. The link that you'd click on to reveal the product ;)

altis
22-02-2004, 20:56
The Motorola XTN446 (http://www.446user.co.uk/review_15.html) has voice scrambling but I have no experience of these - yet.

But I do have a pair of Oregon Scientific TP398s (http://www.clove.co.uk/products/products.asp?strAreaNo=400_6_2&intElement=300) (priced per pair) and they seem reasonably well built.

Stuartbe
22-02-2004, 21:31
The Motorola XTN446 (http://www.446user.co.uk/review_15.html) has voice scrambling but I have no experience of these - yet.

But I do have a pair of Oregon Scientific TP398s (http://www.clove.co.uk/products/products.asp?strAreaNo=400_6_2&intElement=300) (priced per pair) and they seem reasonably well built.

It does have some level of encyption. Trouble is that its only a digitised signal and any scanner with a d/a convertor can listen.. It does not stop other users keying over the chanel though.....

Paulie
23-02-2004, 22:58
I`ve got a pair of motorola T5420`s. Battery only (3xAA) and am really pleased with them. I got them in the states and the guy said that motorola has the least returns of all the makes. Haven`t let me down yet.I'm looking at these at the mo:

or:

Proppinupthebar
23-02-2004, 23:05
I`ve got a pair of motorola T5420`s. Battery only (3xAA) and am really pleased with them. I got them in the states and the guy said that motorola has the least returns of all the makes. Haven`t let me down yet.

The states don't have PMR its something like FRS, they are also on different frequencies. I don't think you can legally use the ones from the states in the UK and vice versa.

bob_a_builder
24-02-2004, 13:51
I thought the mobile phone jonnies where about to launch a walkie talkie service ( IIRC already exists is states) - called push to talk
That would sort out the range issue, plus only need to carry the one box.

How useful/usable it'll be will no doubt depend on how they price it ( and whether you need a new phone or not)

I've tried the cheapie PMRs, think they must use a different sort of mile to the rest of us when it comes to range - and as someone else said rechargable is the ONLY way to go

Renniks
26-03-2009, 20:26
Anyone have any info on programming a pair of walkie talkies they are kenwood tk 852, aint got a clue how to program em, any help appreciated.

Renniks.
:):)

fireman328
26-03-2009, 21:32
I used to operate on 2 metres and 70 cms but a number of house moves etc. and I had I sold the rigs. call sign G8PZI. I dont know if I would still be licenced ?

Kymmy
26-03-2009, 21:41
I used to operate on 2 metres and 70 cms but a number of house moves etc. and I had I sold the rigs. call sign G8PZI. I dont know if I would still be licenced ?

Contact OFCOM (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/amateur/) and for £20 they'll issue you with a lifetime licence (no other fees for life, you only need to confirm address and whether you wish to keep it every 5 years)

Also G8's were Class B, under the new rules which have done away with morse all Class B and Class A's are now FULL licence holders, 2E1XXX and 2E0XXX the old Novice licene are now intermediates and M3's are now foundation course holders...

I recently came back to it after a few years away

Kymmy (I'm a G7...)

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Anyone have any info on programming a pair of walkie talkies they are kenwood tk 852, aint got a clue how to program em, any help appreciated.

Renniks.
:):)

What frequencies would you like to program them onto?

Renniks
26-03-2009, 21:45
Not sure Mate, it's a new thing for me, just to get them operational really, and would I need a License to do this?? Thanks for your reply, appreciated Mate.

Kymmy
26-03-2009, 21:55
Depends on the radio... PMR's (446) are type approved and are 500mw with a built in non-removable antenna.. If though they're SBR (small business radios) then yes you will need a licence that'll also specify what spot freq/power you're allowed to use them on. If you have a ham licence then you are resticted in frequencies (though not spot freq's) amd you can use varying modes.

Anyway the TK852's (UHF mobiles) are PC prgramable but you need the specialist cables and also the kenwood programming files.

Renniks
26-03-2009, 22:04
Thanks again Mate, I have the cable and the software just don't know how to do it!! Will try and get more info and post back. Thanks for your time it is appreciated indeed.. ;):)

Kymmy
27-03-2009, 16:53
There is a yahoo group I used to belong to that might help

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radio-programming/

Just remember though that although it isn't illegal to own one of these radios it is illegal to transmit on a frequency that for you do not have a licence and/or type approved equipment (if needed) ;)