PDA

View Full Version : E-mail downtime

Hell's Child
20-02-2004, 16:58
Further to the planned ntlworld email service outages over the last two Monday evenings, please be aware that there will be another outage planned tonight, 11.00pm Monday 23rd February until 7.00am, Tuesday 24th February.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to let you know there is further downtime on ntlworld email....

They are trying to sort the problem out, bear with them....:angel:

Sociable
20-02-2004, 17:35
Thanks for the update Hell's Child.

Certainly helps when we know in advance with stuff like this.

Do you happen to know if my "guess" about this being more to do with "tweaking" and software updates than new equipment installation is correct?

If it is do you also know if part of this upgrade will involve the introduction of spam filtering options?

Hell's Child
20-02-2004, 18:00
Do you happen to know if my "guess" about this being more to do with "tweaking" and software updates than new equipment installation is correct?

If it is do you also know if part of this upgrade will involve the introduction of spam filtering options?
As far as I am aware it is "tweaking" the existing equipment as opposed to putting new stuff in.

With regards to spam filtering options, I am told they are on the way but we have very sketchy info as to the EXACT details of the upgrades.

Sorry for the sketchy info but I can only tell what I know!:angel:

Sociable
20-02-2004, 18:06
Thanks for the prompt reply much appreciated.

shin0r
21-02-2004, 16:33
hi

the recent changes (and downtime) are indeed part of the mail platform upgrade. The current changes involve attaching new FCAL storage to the boxes running the mail system, migrating mailboxes to this new storage and prepping new hardware in advance of the new Intermail rollout.

Downtime is a pain, but you can't do this sort of work on a live system :)

Sociable
21-02-2004, 16:43
Downtime is a pain, but you can't do this sort of work on a live system :)

Very true and we do appreciate that fact.

Thanks for the extra detail it always helps defuse frustration when an explanation like this is given.

Stuartbe
21-02-2004, 18:55
I dont have a problem with server maintenence - I just get angry when no one explains what it is for or gives no advance warning.