PDA

View Full Version : ABCs of XBOX on eBay

Caspar
08-07-2003, 10:17
I thought I'd share my recent expereince with you guys...

I have now sold my Ghost Recon and Unreal Championship XBOX games, on ebay!

What I did:
I started GR at £8.99 (this was the price that GameStation offered me. So I thought that if someone at least matched thay I would be happy.)

I started UC at £7.99, based purely that I prefer GR!

I set each as no reserve, making sure I put that in the title text ;)

I set the delivery (buyer pays) at £1.90. Most people charge £2.00, so a slight undercut might win you a bid ;) ...and what's 10p!!!!

Duration was set as 7 day sale.

What I got:are you reading this Boom!

GR closed at: £20.90

UC closed at: £18.90

both with about 10 bids, most of them came in the closing hours.

Actual delivery was £1.39 each (£2.78 total)

Totals
Sold for £39.80
Minus delivery £2.78
Minus Paypal and ebay charges £2.00

Profit is £35.02

more than enough for a new game...for the price of two old games...that I play:no-more. Also GR I played for a good 6 months, solid...and to get back 50% is amazing :D

Caspar
your for-profit-friendly ghost!

Boom
08-07-2003, 10:23
You lucky git! Nice 1. Got payment for my other GR, so I no longer have GR as of today.

Caspar
08-07-2003, 10:23
p.s. I'm actually really gutted by the fact that I sold a load of games to GameStation a month ago!..I could of 'potentially' got double online!!!!

food for thought...go on clear them old games out!

Boom
08-07-2003, 10:24
Note: GR will seriously drop in value when GR : IT comes out.

Caspar
08-07-2003, 10:25
Originally posted by Boom
You lucky git! Nice 1. Got payment for my other GR, so I no longer have GR as of today.

Payments for both of mine we pratically instant.... both emailed me asking when it could be delivered...so to secure some decent feedback I emailed them a posh email ;)

...I've been looking around my games now seeing what else I can sell!!!!

Caspar
08-07-2003, 10:25
Note: GR will seriously drop in value when GR : IT comes out.

true.....I'm just hoping we don't need the orignal disc to play IT!!!! :spin:

Boom
08-07-2003, 10:27
I'm certain we won't.

Originally posted by Caspar
true.....I'm just hoping we don't need the orignal disc to play IT!!!! :spin:

scotsbraveheart
08-07-2003, 11:24
with play.com selling island thunder at £14.99 imagine the profit that could be made selling them on ebay :rolleyes:

could be on my way to my 1st million :D

Caspar
08-07-2003, 11:50
Originally posted by scotsbraveheart
with play.com selling island thunder at £14.99 imagine the profit that could be made selling them on ebay :rolleyes:

could be on my way to my 1st million :D

1st million :confused: !!!

...bloody hell catch up pal! :D

nh3com
08-07-2003, 12:22
went into gamestation last month and got £20 for unreal 2k3. the only problem was that i hadn't put the ut2k3 cd into the case and had put the xbox live starter cd in by mistake. oops

Boom
08-07-2003, 12:23
They didn't look?

Where's this gamestation? I think I have a few "games" too unload! :D

Originally posted by nh3com
went into gamestation last month and got £20 for unreal 2k3. the only problem was that i hadn't put the ut2k3 cd into the case and had put the xbox live starter cd in by mistake. oops

Mantrid
08-07-2003, 12:24
How does the payment process work on Ebay?

Did you send the games in the post after receiving payment or what?

Does it all work on trust?

Boom
08-07-2003, 12:30
It's all based on trust. Generally you can't go wrong buying or selling to someone who has some good feedback. Generally the trust has to go to the seller, since he/she won't send the item until payment has been processed either by cheque, postal order, banker's draft, paypal, credit card over the phone, etc. (payment is specified in the listed item).

So I received a cheque for one item I sold and waited the requisite 5 working days until it cleared and then sent the item. I've yet to encounter a problem, though 1 item I bought I had to wait an extra few days beyond payment being processed.

Originally posted by Mantrid
How does the payment process work on Ebay?

Did you send the games in the post after receiving payment or what?

Does it all work on trust?

TigaSefi
08-07-2003, 12:35
I successfully sold games on Ebay for near the full price I paid for them lol. It is wicked.

Boom
08-07-2003, 12:37
One word of caution though. Don't buy any high value item on Ebay unless you use an escrow or you have complete confidence in the sale. I remember reading this one Yanks account of tracking down a Mac or a Mac laptop he bought on Ebay, paid for, and never received the item. He went through all sorts of sh*t to track the seller down, got the police involved, and eventaully caught the guy. Though I don't think he ever got his Mac or his money back. Shows you what buying a Mac can do to you!

Mind you I bought a new Plasma on Ebay! Not really though, I phoned up the buyer and agreed to meet them at their offices in North London to pay for the item and pick it up. Not risking +£4K on the word of person over the internet.

manowar68
08-07-2003, 13:03
I have had no problems buying games of ebay.
Got transworld snowboarding for £12 and NFL fever 2003 for £18
not bad at all.

Ramrod
08-07-2003, 13:19
Originally posted by Caspar
I thought I'd share my recent expereince with you guys...

I have now sold my Ghost Recon and Unreal Championship XBOX games, on ebay!

What I did:
I started GR at £8.99 (this was the price that GameStation offered me. So I thought that if someone at least matched thay I would be happy.)

I started UC at £7.99, based purely that I prefer GR!

I set each as no reserve, making sure I put that in the title text ;)

I set the delivery (buyer pays) at £1.90. Most people charge £2.00, so a slight undercut might win you a bid ;) ...and what's 10p!!!!

Duration was set as 7 day sale.

What I got:are you reading this Boom!

GR closed at: £20.90

UC closed at: £18.90

both with about 10 bids, most of them came in the closing hours.

Actual delivery was £1.39 each (£2.78 total)

Totals
Sold for £39.80
Minus delivery £2.78
Minus Paypal and ebay charges £2.00

Profit is £35.02

more than enough for a new game...for the price of two old games...that I play:no-more. Also GR I played for a good 6 months, solid...and to get back 50% is amazing :D

Caspar
your for-profit-friendly ghost!
Nice one Caspar:)

Doctor E
09-07-2003, 08:40
In the grand scheme of things, I'm quite new to Live and probably don't get the opportunity to play it as much as some. This means that I'm still on the upward learning curve for GR and still really enjoying it. I got my feet wet in RTCW, but find GR a bit more to my liking. I suppose that might have something to do with my love of realistic fast jet combat simulators on my Mac and a general interest in modern military stuff. So I guess, I'm really looking forward to Q4 2004, when we will have GR-IT for the realistic stuff and Halo 2 for the 'run round and blast stuff' type of fun. :drool:

Must play RTCW again ... :dmonk:

Nige.

Boom
09-07-2003, 08:43
Well, you're in luck. Cause I'm quite certain GR-IT will be out within the next 2 months. Followed by Ravenshield (Rainbow Six 3) at the end of this year.

Caspar
09-07-2003, 09:09
Well, you're in luck. Cause I'm quite certain GR-IT will be out within the next 2 months. Followed by Ravenshield (Rainbow Six 3) at the end of this year.

I agree if you want a realsitic military game then Raven Shield is the one....I'm really pinning my hopes on that onc, above Halo2 at the moment :)

Boom
09-07-2003, 09:15
I'm pinning my hopes on Ravenshield as well for both online and offline play and it will be available much sooner (if everything goes according to plan at Ubi/RS) than Halo2. Mind you if (big bl@@dy 'if' considering their current track record on deliveries)Valve pull CS out of their @rse this year, that could be great.

Boom
09-07-2003, 09:30
Hey Cas, last night when I went to spectator during RtCW, I did it because my dad had phoned (leaving a message on the answer machine as I couldn't be @rsed to move), for what I thought was help with a technical PC issue. Turns out he wanted to know how Ebay worked. I was a bit suprised as I didn't think he would ever use it. I had to explain it to him for about 10 minutes.

Caspar
09-07-2003, 09:39
Hey Cas, last night when I went to spectator during RtCW, I did it because my dad had phoned (leaving a message on the answer machine as I couldn't be @rsed to move), for what I thought was help with a technical PC issue. Turns out he wanted to know how Ebay worked. I was a bit suprised as I didn't think he would ever use it. I had to explain it to him for about 10 minutes.

It is surpsring who uses it cometimes...there's a girl in work...and she forever bidding on designer clothwear...I don't think she's won any bids yet though....I had to explain to her about the proxy bidding thing, which is quite a useful tool for squeezing the last minute pence/pounds over someone else ;)

You have to be strong...I had something small to sell about 6 month ago on ebay, sold it for about a £10 (a game possibly)...the premise...was quick, easy money....the problem was I spent £30 on a new wireless mouse....(good deal they are £50 in the shops), but at the end of the excercise I was £20 worse off!

....still using my MS intellimouse explorer now...so was a great buy....

Boom
09-07-2003, 09:44
Some of the big sellers (based on feedback or have an online shop) on Ebay would appear to sell everything and anything. I remember buying something off one that had a feedback of 13000+ and most of it was designer clothes!

Caspar
09-07-2003, 10:02
Some of the big sellers (based on feedback or have an online shop) on Ebay would appear to sell everything and anything. I remember buying something off one that had a feedback of 13000+ and most of it was designer clothes!

...my philosophy is not to think about it too much!...cause if you do, you begin to ponder where all these goods come from ;) ...and since the whole thing is based on trust (that the seller will actually ship) then these are opposing PoVs....that could in turn put people right off....which is probably a good reason to stop typing...

FelonX
09-07-2003, 10:54
well i have just been bitten by the ebay bug and atm im waiting on nhl2003 to come ups :)

As for future games DOOM3 o yeaaa
and cs of course

Doctor E
09-07-2003, 10:55
I sold some alloy wheels on there once. They were quite nice 15" BBS Oberon ones off a Volvo V40. The deal was done with the new owner's parents in the car park of Knutsford Services on the M6. It did feel a bit dodgy! I haven't bought much on Ebay though. I got a QT version of 'Pirate of Silicon Valley' recently, and have bid for some power tools etc. I was also able to find some ancient legacy parts for an old Mac of mine.

Nige.

Boom
09-07-2003, 11:01
NHL2003 is really good, but NHL2K3 is my fav. Online support is just icing on the cake for a game that plays like the real thing, its just unfortunate that they regionalised the game. :bigcry:

Originally posted by FelonX
well i have just been bitten by the ebay bug and atm im waiting on nhl2003 to come ups :)

As for future games DOOM3 o yeaaa
and cs of course