PDA

View Full Version : Saxo and electrics!

david_w2k
19-02-2004, 15:13
Right, this could in fact be two seperate problems on my Citroen Saxo. Yes i know lol, this is probably completely the wrong place, but im desperate!

My Sony head unit has suddenly decided to stop working. Nothing displays on the screen etc. I have checked the wiring and even plugged in the standard tape player, which worked.

Decided to have another look at it last night(dark) and realised the interior lighting wasnt working. I had earlier in the day checked the 10a fuse, which is fine. I have checked it again.. and its still fine.

Are these problems related, or did i break the lighting and clock by taking out the 10a fuse to check it earlier?

The battery is fine and my Infinity Basslink sub still has power directly from it and the engine starts etc.

The fuse on the head unit is fine and there is a 12 volt supply to it (checked using multimeter). Are these two seperate problems? Is my cd player dead as well as the lighting and clock etc? Is it possible that the standard tape player would work and the cd player not, without the cd player being broken?

Help much appreciated, Cheers

paulyoung666
19-02-2004, 15:30
can you try the cd player in another car , i dont suppose it would have an internal fuse as well would it , probably not , but you never know :(

you say you checked the fuse , did you do this using a multimeter or did you just eyeball it ?????????????

SMHarman
19-02-2004, 15:35
You've a switched live and a permanent live going into a head unit. Are both receiving power, are both properly connected . They sometimes have inline switchover plugs so as Vauxhall wiring (where these are backward) can be accomodated. These can work loose.

Check to see if an internal fuse exists (probably does).

Stuartbe
19-02-2004, 15:43
Could it be some sort of security on the head unit ? Some unit lock out if you take the memmory +12v feed away !

Just a thought !

david_w2k
19-02-2004, 15:47
Thanks for the quick responses! I multimetered the fuses. It appears that maybe (i cant tell because i may be checking the wrong cables, i will check it properly shortly...), the constant supply has failed. Is it possible that the cd player requires both the supplies to work correctly?

SMHarman
19-02-2004, 15:48
Could it be some sort of security on the head unit ? Some unit lock out if you take the memmory +12v feed away !

Just a thought !

Sony usually work on face off - not pin code security. Even so you would get a message on the screen such as code.

At the mo it looks like there is no power gong to the unit.

Have you tested the cables on the block connecting to the head unit, not just the power ISO block.

Stuartbe
19-02-2004, 15:50
Thanks for the quick responses! I multimetered the fuses. It appears that maybe (i cant tell because i may be checking the wrong cables, i will check it properly shortly...), the constant supply has failed. Is it possible that the cd player requires both the supplies to work correctly?

Yep - most head units need 2 suply's - one for retaining the memmory codes ect and one to power the unit. Some have a third that controls the backlights when the head unit is on......

Ramrod
19-02-2004, 15:51
I thought this thread was about salt spilt in some electrical apparatus :rofl:

paulyoung666
19-02-2004, 15:51

it would deffo need the permanent supply to work , but maybe not the switch one , as it is used to keep radio tuning etc intact , having said that , both may be needed :)

SMHarman
19-02-2004, 15:52

Requires both.

Could be on a separate fuse - like the one for that also does the rear window, so check the cars fuses again to make sure you have caught the right ones.

david_w2k
19-02-2004, 15:53
Ok and heres the clincher. Is it possible that the original tape player (which works when the ignition is on) only needs the constant supply?

paulyoung666
19-02-2004, 15:55
Ok and heres the clincher. Is it possible that the original tape player (which works when the ignition is on) only needs the constant supply?

yep , that would certainly cover it :)

SMHarman
19-02-2004, 15:56

If it only works when the ignition is on then it may work with only the switched supply (which is the one you say is working).

Salu
19-02-2004, 16:32
nthellworld.....you can't say it isn't diverse can you?

bob_builder
19-02-2004, 16:37
My standard Saxo CD player works on either the constant or switched power supply - don't know if that helps!

david_w2k
19-02-2004, 19:19
Thanks so much for your help guys. Changed a 20a fuse and its all up and running again:-) The Cdplayer must have required both supplies to operate.

I had forgotten how good Nthellworld is! Im back lol.

Now my mum is having a go at me again for having it too loud on the driveway :zzz:

paulyoung666
19-02-2004, 19:21
Thanks so much for your help guys. Changed a 20a fuse and its all up and running again:-) The Cdplayer must have required both supplies to operate.

Now my mum is having a go at me again for having it too loud on the driveway :zzz:

glad you got sorted , at least my fuse thory was right :D :D :D :D

Stuartbe
19-02-2004, 21:17
glad you got sorted , at least my fuse thory was right :D :D :D :D

Nice one paul....... If his car catches fire tonight we will know who to blame :D

paulyoung666
19-02-2004, 21:23
Nice one paul....... If his car catches fire tonight we will know who to blame :D

cheers mate :(

:D :D :D :D

SMHarman
20-02-2004, 11:14

Dynamat (or spray) my friend Dynamat. Makes it all sound much better too.

And makes the car sound £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ more expensive, the doors suddenly shut with a clunk not a ting.

Unscrew the seats, remove the carpet, panel wipe the metal work hang the dynamat over a radiator indoors and then stick in place.

Pull door and trim panels off, boot carpet up and do the same. You SQ will go up measurably. It will also be better for your hearing as you need less volume to get the same level of interior noise and you will be able to hear the quiet (sic) parts better.

paulyoung666
20-02-2004, 11:17
excellent advice :)

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 11:20
excellent advice :)

I wonder if it would work on the walls in my computer room. I would'nt be bale to hear Lesleyann's Bonjovi then :D

paulyoung666
20-02-2004, 11:21
I wonder if it would work on the walls in my computer room. I would'nt be bale to hear Lesleyann's Bonjovi then :D

nah you want egg boxes for that :D :D :D

david_w2k
20-02-2004, 15:55
Dynamat (or spray) my friend Dynamat. Makes it all sound much better too.

And makes the car sound £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ more expensive, the doors suddenly shut with a clunk not a ting.

Unscrew the seats, remove the carpet, panel wipe the metal work hang the dynamat over a radiator indoors and then stick in place.

Pull door and trim panels off, boot carpet up and do the same. You SQ will go up measurably. It will also be better for your hearing as you need less volume to get the same level of interior noise and you will be able to hear the quiet (sic) parts better.

Might have to give that a try :) As it is a Saxo it does rattle an awful lot at the moment!

*Lembo Tazzaldo
28-12-2006, 18:14
Hi i have just found this website and thought it may be a good way to find out a solution to my problem. i have got some mutant x parcel shelf speakers, and i want to connect them to the wire from the speakers in the back panel at the side of the back seats. the only problem is that i cant get the panel off to disconnect the speakers so i can connect my new one's :confused: . if someone could help it would be much appreciated.

Graham M
28-12-2006, 19:31
Wow that was quite a bump...

Russ
28-12-2006, 20:42
Rather than bump an almost 3 year old thread, perhaps www.sw-cc.com might be able to give you better advice?

Chris W
28-12-2006, 22:19
Hi i have just found this website and thought it may be a good way to find out a solution to my problem. i have got some mutant x parcel shelf speakers, and i want to connect them to the wire from the speakers in the back panel at the side of the back seats. the only problem is that i cant get the panel off to disconnect the speakers so i can connect my new one's :confused: . if someone could help it would be much appreciated.

What car is it?

have you tried the Haynes manual for disassembly instructions?