PDA

View Full Version : FTP problems

Toreador
18-02-2004, 20:58
I've been unable to upload to my web space for the last couple of days. I enter my username and password, and after a minute or two get a timeout waiting for a reply from the server. Are NTL having problems? Or is there something different I need to do when using broadband - the last time I did an upload I was still using dial-up.

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 21:10
A huge great :welcome: to the site BTW :)

Are you using the same username and password that you were given at registration. I think that if you change the password it stays the same for your webspace !

P.S. Are you running a firewall ?

Toreador
18-02-2004, 21:21
A huge great :welcome: to the site BTW :)

Are you using the same username and password that you were given at registration. I think that if you change the password it stays the same for your webspace !

P.S. Are you running a firewall ?

Thank you :wavey:

I'm using the same username / password as I was using for dial-up, and which I still use for webmail etc. I've not changed it.

I'm running Zone Alarm - but I've not (intentionally) blocked anything relevant to this. And if it makes any difference, I'm using FTP within Dreamweaver.

Florence
18-02-2004, 21:27
Just try using IE and see if you can uplaod that way first.

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 21:27
Thank you :wavey:

I'm using the same username / password as I was using for dial-up, and which I still use for webmail etc. I've not changed it.

I'm running Zone Alarm - but I've not (intentionally) blocked anything relevant to this. And if it makes any difference, I'm using FTP within Dreamweaver.

Try turning your firewall off just in case.... They can block the return packets from the ftp server.

Toreador
18-02-2004, 21:35
OK, turning off the firewall makes no difference.
I'm not sure how to try it using IE, but if I try to connect via the command prompt, after I enter my password I get the error
Connection closed by remote host.
Which is what I'd expect if the password were wrong, however, it's the same one I've always used and it still works for my email.

Toreador
23-02-2004, 19:55
Thanks to everyone for their help. Turns out that when I upgraded from dialup to broadband they assigned me a new logon id. They transferred the old email address, but not the web space. I'm now using the new id for my web site and all is well again :)

Stuartbe
24-02-2004, 00:13
Thanks to everyone for their help. Turns out that when I upgraded from dialup to broadband they assigned me a new logon id. They transferred the old email address, but not the web space. I'm now using the new id for my web site and all is well again :)

Glad you are sorted.....

Did cs confirm this for you ?

Toreador
24-02-2004, 09:45
Glad you are sorted.....

Did cs confirm this for you ?

Yes - eventually :zzz: