PDA

View Full Version : Awol

DrAwesome
17-02-2004, 01:04
This is olde news but i thought it worth a mention :)

Fox News is running the story today about AWOL (but its last years news) but Fox beat BBC24, ITN News & Sky News to the story.

New gadget allows alcohol to be inhaled

The inventor of a gadget that enables people to inhale alcohol through their nose or mouth claim it doesn't cause hangovers.

Dominic Simler, 30, discovered that by mixing spirits with pure oxygen, a cloudy alcohol vapour can be created which can be either snorted or inhaled.

He is marketing it as AWOL, or Alcohol With Out Liquid, & says it can be used to consume any spirit.

Mr Simler said: "AWOL has got to be the ultimate way to consume your favourite shot. The effect is unlike any experience to date. The vapour produces an instant 'high' with no hangover the next day."

The spirit is poured into a special diffuser capsule which is then plugged into an oxygen generator.

Once inhaled, the alcoholic gas goes straight into the bloodstream to give an instant 'hit'

AWOL (http://www.leisure-kit.net/email/proddetail.cfm?codeID=6677) †“ standing for Alcohol With Out Liquid †“ combines spirits with 95 per cent pure oxygen to produce an alcoholic vapour for snorting or inhalation.

To consume AWOL requires the pouring of half a shot of any spirit into a special diffuser capsule, plugging it into an oxgen generator & simply snorting the resulting alcoholic vapour or inhaling it between sealed lips from a disposable attachment.

Since licencing laws restrict the sale of alcohol to measured units, AWOL is marketed as an alcoholic vapour, licencees charging for the oxygen consumed rather than the small amount of alcohol required.

AWOL comes with a recommended maximum of three 20-minute sessions in any 24 hrs.

DrAwesome
17-02-2004, 01:11
Alcohol vapour fad slammed (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/17/1076779936386.html) Sydney Morning Herald Online Feb 17, 2004

Professor Oliver James, head of clinical medical sciences at Newcastle University, said: "By snorting the alcohol it can go directly into the brain without being filtered by the liver.

"What is getting into your brain could be the equivalent of many times more than by drinking it.

"This will not only make you very drunk very quickly but is also likely to increase the risk of direct alcohol damage to the brain. This could do irreversible damage to nerves, lead to swelling and possibly lead to dementia in the long term."

He said people may also be able to inhale alcohol for 20 minutes, get drunk, drive & still be able to pass a police breathalyser test as alcohol levels in the blood remained very low.

The British automobile association said AWOL would have to be treated like drugs & be subject to rules making it illegal to drive with impaired abilities.

Andrew Howard, head of road safety at the AA Motoring Trust, said: "The law doesn't just say you must not be over the legal limit; it says you must not drive when you are impaired."

Mr Simler, 29, ( :eek: he's now 1yr younger) from London, said no one should drive after consuming alcohol but refuted claims that the device posed a danger to health.

"There is a built-in safety device as it takes about 1hr to inhale one shot of alcohol. It is hardly something people are going to get very drunk on," he said.

"It is designed to allow people to enjoy the effects of alcohol mixed with oxygen. It promotes a sense of well being & a mild euphoria. It is a fun new legal way to take alcohol."

Mr Simler adapted the vaporiser from oxygen machines used for aromatherapy & exercise purposes.

The alcohol vapour is created by pouring a spirit into a diffuser capsule connected to an oxygen pipe. The oxygen bubbles are then passed through the capsule, absorbing the alcohol, before being inhaled through a tube.

Mr Simler estimated that he had sold about 50 machines, at STG1,500 ($A3,600) each.

Bar owner Ms Lewitt said customers using AWOL would get "bored before they got drunk" as the amount of alcohol inhaled was so small.

She said she had been overwhelmed with bookings for the device, which is charged at a rate of STG6 ($A14.50) a shot.

"It is a novelty. People enjoy passing it around in a group. It takes that burning sensation away from the alcohol, allowing customers to enjoy the taste of flavoured alcohol."

Ms Lewitt said she had not seen anyone react badly to AWOL yet, but insisted the bar had a zero tolerance policy to bad behaviour

Stuartbe
17-02-2004, 08:18
No thanks - I enjoy sitting down and having a nice whisky on ice with my mates. I think this takes the whole social thing away from having a nice drink.... + I dont want to be drunk in 20 secs......:)

paulyoung666
17-02-2004, 08:24
No thanks - I enjoy sitting down and having a nice whisky on ice with my mates. I think this takes the whole social thing away from having a nice drink.... + I dont want to be drunk in 20 secs......:)

yes i think i will stick with a pint thank you very much :)

morning stu :wavey:

Stuartbe
17-02-2004, 08:26
yes i think i will stick with a pint thank you very much :)

morning stu :wavey:

Sounds good to me - Morning m8 :wavey:

P.S. Dont you owe me a pint ? :D

paulyoung666
17-02-2004, 08:32
Sounds good to me - Morning m8 :wavey:

P.S. Dont you owe me a pint ? :D

as soon as i can i will send you one down ;)

Stuartbe
17-02-2004, 08:42
as soon as i can i will send you one down ;)

Thanks m8 - Mine's a Stella. :)

DrAwesome
18-02-2004, 00:18
Just think you wont need to run to the toilet after every sip using AWOL.

Shaun
18-02-2004, 00:26
Mine's a Stella. :)

And you said you didn't want to get drunk too quickly!! They call it "loopy juice" round here! :rofl:

DrAwesome
18-02-2004, 00:31
And you said you didn't want to get drunk too quickly!! They call it "loopy juice" round here! :rofl:

figures as its also a womans name :rofl: