PDA

View Full Version : Silent CDs and Volkswagon in car CD players

Stuart
13-02-2004, 10:29
Have you ever bought a CD, played it (at home, in the car etc) and heard either noise or nothing?

Well, according to the British Phonographic Industry, the CD isn't at fault. Your player is. The BPI says the problem is caused because the CD format now, is not precisely the same as the format that was defined in 1980 (the Red Book format).

Now, the Volkswagon (one manufacturer with CD players that cannot play copy protected CDs) say that their players comply with the Red Book standard, and that the record companies (in using copy protection) have failed to follow this standard. This is true, and Philips, the owner of the rights to CD have asked that record companies do not use the Compact Disc logo, or the words Compact Disc on any copy protected CD.

Anyway, the article is at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/35545.html

Xaccers
13-02-2004, 10:32
Basically VW have used a computer CDROM drive spec'd cd player.
It's picking up the protection stuff on the non-standard CD (so technically it's the CD that's at fault for not being red book standard)
Thankfully the 6 disk changer in the boot can play them so I'm ok.

Philips are right, as they're not standard CD's they should not use the CD logo, and I've a feeling some of them have stopped

paulyoung666
13-02-2004, 10:35
sounds like a right **** up to me , i really dont know why they bother about try to copy protect music , they will never make it work , someone will always come along and crack the protection :( , stupid very very stupid :(

Xaccers
13-02-2004, 10:37
sounds like a right **** up to me , i really dont know why they bother about try to copy protect music , they will never make it work , someone will always come along and crack the protection :( , stupid very very stupid :(

Post Removed - SteveH, Taken from our T&C's;

Please do not:

(ii) Post, transmit, upload, email or otherwise make available any content that in doing so infringes upon a trademark, patent, copyright, trade secret or other proprietary rights of any party.

abailey152
13-02-2004, 11:41
Dead right! I've always bought CD's and copied them for use in the car. I can't do this with copy-protected ones, and to top it off, the original will not play in the car either. Result = I will not buy copy protected CD's. If all releases become copy protected then congratulations to the music industry. They've just lost a customer!

paulyoung666
13-02-2004, 11:45
Dead right! I've always bought CD's and copied them for use in the car. I can't do this with copy-protected ones, and to top it off, the original will not play in the car either. Result = I will not buy copy protected CD's. If all releases become copy protected then congratulations to the music industry. They've just lost a customer!

exactly , and even if they managed a super duper method that no one could crack , all ppl will do is use pc sound outputs to record externally to another writer :)

Xaccers
13-02-2004, 11:47

Wasn't there some which didn't have the warning about copy protection so when people tried to play it in their computers they had to reboot, losing any unsaved work.
I think they were encouraged to take it back to the shops and either demand a non-copy protected version, or a refund :)

abailey152
14-02-2004, 23:39
Wasn't there some which didn't have the warning about copy protection so when people tried to play it in their computers they had to reboot, losing any unsaved work.
I think they were encouraged to take it back to the shops and either demand a non-copy protected version, or a refund :)
Yes, I remember these. Unfortunately, it's getting to the point where there will not be non-protected CD's released. BMG say they are only releasing new stuff copy protected.