13-02-2004, 00:49
How come they charge VAT on tampons

but not mens razors?

Nor
13-02-2004, 00:51
Ah so it is KA then :)

Dave Stones
13-02-2004, 00:51
cos women also use mens razors... i dont hear of many men using tampons though *raises eyebrow*

Russ
13-02-2004, 00:54
Ah so it is KA then :)

Was there ever any doubt?

peachey
13-02-2004, 00:54
cos women also use mens razors... i dont hear of many men using tampons though *raises eyebrow*

they are considered a 'luxury item'

and i find that offensive and insitutionally sexist

gary_580
13-02-2004, 01:01
Tampons arent essential, must be luxury too

Russ
13-02-2004, 01:02
they are considered a 'luxury item'

and i find that offensive and insitutionally sexist

Personally I find it sexist that women have more rights than men in custody battles and in family courts but hey, what can you do.

Nor
13-02-2004, 01:03
Is there no vat on razors though ? If so I kinda get the point. I ain't sure VAT only applies to luxuries though, don't you get vat on baby food now.

peachey
13-02-2004, 01:05
Comments like that aren't welcome here - SteveH

Marge
13-02-2004, 01:07
Peachey, sorry but that is a nasty remark and really uncalled for and if it was meant as a joke then it ain't funny

gary_580
13-02-2004, 01:07
what a joke!!

21 March 2000

VAT CUT FOR WOMENÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢S SANITARY PRODUCTS
To make the tax system fairer for women, VAT on womenÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s sanitary products will be cut to 5% from 1 January 2001, Paymaster General Dawn Primarolo announced today.

Ms Primarolo said:

†œTodayâ ۉâ₠žÂ¢s measure shows the Governmentââ ¬â„¢s willingness to listen to the views and concerns of women throughout the country. This is not a luxury consumer product. This is about fairness, and doing what we can to lower the cost of a necessity. Our action today sends a signal to women that we will continue to work towards equality in the tax system, the workplace and in society as a wholeÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â

Russ
13-02-2004, 01:08
in view of your posts
you can clearly see that the child
left under your auspices will be clearly deranged

So, having a personal dig at me then? I'm giving you until 1:30am for you to tell me why I should not ban your ass for that comment alone.

gary_580
13-02-2004, 01:10
So, having a personal dig at me then? I'm giving you until 1:30am for you to tell me why I should not ban your ass for that comment alone.

Come on Russ, your not the saint you claim to be. Ive just read a few posts youve made tonight and some are a bit shocking considering this is supposed to be FREE discussion

Russ
13-02-2004, 01:12
Come on Russ, your not the saint you claim to be. Ive just read a few posts youve made tonight and some are a bit shocking considering this is supposed to be FREE discussion

I've never claimed to be a saint but the comments she has made tonight have gone far beyond free speech.

sir_drinks_alot
13-02-2004, 01:12
why in the hell are we even talking about this it's not the sort of thing one should talk of here

gary_580
13-02-2004, 01:13
Free speech is as it says FREE. Yes can be hurtful at times but its FREE

peachey
13-02-2004, 01:15
what a joke!!

21 March 2000

VAT CUT FOR WOMENÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢S SANITARY PRODUCTS
To make the tax system fairer for women, VAT on womenÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s sanitary products will be cut to 5% from 1 January 2001, Paymaster General Dawn Primarolo announced today.

Ms Primarolo said:

†œTodayâ ۉâ₠žÂ¢s measure shows the Governmentââ ¬â„¢s willingness to listen to the views and concerns of women throughout the country. This is not a luxury consumer product. This is about fairness, and doing what we can to lower the cost of a necessity. Our action today sends a signal to women that we will continue to work towards equality in the tax system, the workplace and in society as a wholeÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â

but it still has a 'luxury' tax 'levied' agianst the said product

its bad enough being 'on one' each time of the month
and another having to contend with being stiffed for tax for
this - all through no fault of 'us'

Marge
13-02-2004, 01:16
Gary, I'm sure everyone on here loves free speech but that was really personal against Russ, to drag his baby daughter into this is not on. **** Russ off for whatever, he's a big boy he can take it but there are some boundaries.

I do however agree with Peachys other comments

Steve H
13-02-2004, 01:16
That comment was well out of order, I dont see why she shouldnt be banned.

Anyway, Back to the topic .. if there ever was one :p

Russ
13-02-2004, 01:17
Free speech is as it says FREE. Yes can be hurtful at times but its FREE

You haven't read our T&Cs then. With free speech comes responsibility to use it wisely.

gary_580
13-02-2004, 01:19
but it still has a 'luxury' tax 'levied' agianst the said product

its bad enough being 'on one' each time of the month
and another having to contend with being stiffed for tax for
this - all through no fault of 'us'

exactly its a LUXURY!! I dont see the problem. There are many male only items that are taxed as well

gary_580
13-02-2004, 01:20
You haven't read our T&Cs then. With free speech comes responsibility to use it wisely.

perhaps those sort of issues should be dealt with through PM's and i would expect Admins to set that example rather than laying down the gaunlet in the thread. Just my view not saying anyone is right or wrong.

Russ
13-02-2004, 01:22
perhaps those sort of issues should be dealt with through PM's and i would expect Admins to set that example rather than laying down the gaunlet in the thread. Just my view not saying anyone is right or wrong.

Thank you. Your comments are appreciated.

peachey
13-02-2004, 01:23
exactly its a LUXURY!! I dont see the problem. There are many male only items that are taxed as well

Post Removed - Profanity, such as that is not welcome on this site - SteveH

gary_580
13-02-2004, 01:26
Post Removed - Profanity, such as that is not welcome on this site - SteveH

hahaha funny that, not feminist by any chance?, but it was a woman who went b4 the camera!!!

mrmassive
13-02-2004, 01:28
vat on tampons eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh well that must be some kind of bloody joke lol :D :D :D

sir_drinks_alot
13-02-2004, 01:29
sorry but am confused so there's VAT on Tampons
but not sanitary towels whats the differents
between the two :shrug:

gary_580
13-02-2004, 01:31
when you consider that nursing homes are not allowed to purchase incontinence products as zero rated items like they used to be able to prior to the current labour government which i would classify as essential items and not luxury then tax on a tampon is very insignificant

gary_580
13-02-2004, 01:33

huh? it said womans sanitary products, typical vague government statement.

Nor
13-02-2004, 01:44
Lets not get melodramatic. I don't think she should get banned. If she's wrong, show why she's wrong, don't just ban her.

gary_580
13-02-2004, 01:46
Lets not get melodramatic. I don't think she should get banned. If she's wrong, show why she's wrong, don't just ban her.

off topic?

Nor
13-02-2004, 01:51
Lost me.

Russ
13-02-2004, 01:54
The subject of peachy being banned is not for discussion in this thread.

Nor
13-02-2004, 01:56
The subject of peachy being banned is not for discussion in this thread.

I think you need to take a step back mate. Surely you can't forbid us talking about something you yourself brought into the thread ? I don't really have anything major to say other than what I did though, just when folk start telling you not to talk about something, as you can appreciate, it starts to become an issue perhaps when it wasn't before :)

Russ
13-02-2004, 02:03
Thank you. Your comments are appreciated.

Back on topic now please.

Graham
13-02-2004, 03:09
Ignoring the rest of the nonsense in this thread which shouldn't have been put in here in the first place, some facts about VAT:

Yes, VAT is supposed to be a "luxury tax", but it's not that simple.

When the UK joined the EEC we managed to get exemptions for some classes of items, eg printed papers (books, newspapers etc) and children's clothes, *providing* that they were the *only* ones and that anything else would subsequently have VAT charged on it.

Consequently, even though VAT should not be charged on tampons, we are now legally bound to charge VAT on them, so the only thing that was possible to do was to charge VAT at the minimum rate allowed, ie 5% rather than the standard rate of 17.5%.

It still isn't an ideal solution (and I bet the price of tampons hasn't gone down for the consumer) but it was the best one possible.

luftys
13-02-2004, 09:18
:rofl: well ask your mum :rofl:

Julian
13-02-2004, 09:25
How come they charge VAT on tampons

but not mens razors?

There is VAT at 17.5% on razors I think you'll find. :)

And 17.5% VAT on the tissues to mop the blood up after you've shaved. :cry:

And 17.5% VAT on the after shave you apply to your face, which after cutting yourself shaving has been known to sting a little ..... :eek: :Yikes:

Chris
13-02-2004, 09:55
why in the hell are we even talking about this it's not the sort of thing one should talk of here
Oi, Sir drinks-a-popeye-peacheylot, if you want to talk to yourself, why don't you go and sit in a corner and gibber instead of pretending to be different people on a discussion forum?

paulyoung666
13-02-2004, 10:16
Oi, Sir drinks-a-popeye-peacheylot, if you want to talk to yourself, why don't you go and sit in a corner and gibber instead of pretending to be different people on a discussion forum?

sorry this is off topic , peachey has been banned , yeah , but she is the other 2 as well , i am totally :confused: now , anyway vat on luxury goods , did i hear right about childrens clothes are going to attract vat soon :(

Xaccers
13-02-2004, 10:19
sorry this is off topic , peachey has been banned , yeah , but she is the other 2 as well , i am totally :confused: now , anyway vat on luxury goods , did i hear right about childrens clothes are going to attract vat soon :(

Apparently europe would like that, but thankfully our gov is resisting

paulyoung666
13-02-2004, 10:27

thanks for that , the govt is doing something good for once :eek: :eek:

Xaccers
13-02-2004, 10:33
thanks for that , the govt is doing something good for once :eek: :eek:

Only to save votes, since when has this gov ever been bothered about putting up taxes if it thought it wouldn't harm it's re-election chances

paulyoung666
13-02-2004, 10:35
Only to save votes, since when has this gov ever been bothered about putting up taxes if it thought it wouldn't harm it's re-election chances

fair comment , not thinking straight yet :(

Paul
13-02-2004, 13:59
Gee, another early night and I miss all the fun again :rolleyes:

Moox
13-02-2004, 14:05
Shouldn't that have been revolting?

Xaccers
13-02-2004, 14:06
Shouldn't that have been revolting?

Well, yes, they are revolting, but I didn't want to comment on their personalities :rofl:

sir_drinks_alot
13-02-2004, 19:48
Oi, Sir drinks-a-popeye-peacheylot, if you want to talk to yourself, why don't you go and sit in a corner and gibber instead of pretending to be different people on a discussion forum?oh for the love of god AM NOT popeye or peacheylot
just look at MY ip go on LOOK AT IT and see that am NOT
popeye or peacheylot some one just sort this out ones
and for all

Moox
13-02-2004, 19:50
Well, yes, they are revolting, but I didn't want to comment on their personalities :rofl:
pmsl I was talking about the government :)

Mick
13-02-2004, 19:55
oh for the love of god AM NOT popeye or peacheylot
He cannot, but I can vouch that you are not. Oops back on topic. :)

paulyoung666
13-02-2004, 19:55
oh for the love of god AM NOT popeye or peacheylot
popeye or peacheylot some one just sort this out ones
and for all

sounds good to me , how is the hunt going :)

Russ
13-02-2004, 20:00
Thanks for all your help but please leave the troll hunting to the mod and admin team :D

Graham
13-02-2004, 22:52
Oh good grief, will someone *please* kill this thread because it is most certainly way off topic and is serving no useful purpose any more.

sir_drinks_alot
13-02-2004, 23:28
Oh good grief, will someone *please* kill this thread because it is most certainly way off topic and is serving no useful purpose any more.here you go http://smile.smilies.nl/1512.gif