PDA

View Full Version : Ram failure at 1A

hobbie
06-07-2003, 16:49
I am trying to install 128 mb of ram on my mate's computer,and keep getting "Extended ram failed at 1A" message coming up, along with 2 short beeps.I am using 100mhz ram,the same as his other stick.I cannot discover what m/board he has as it is not labelled,or referred to in the comp.manual.
If I "Press F1 to continue" it boots up fine, but crashes when he tries to play a game.
The memory is recognised , as the comp is showing 192mb of ram.
OS is Win ME, and all Win updates are installed.
Any advice guys and gals? :shrug:

Ben
06-07-2003, 17:15
Have you tried the new RAM in on its own ?

Is it stable ?

paulyoung666
06-07-2003, 17:16
do a search on google for ' Extended ram failed at 1A '

should sort you out i reckon

if you use just the one stick i.e. the one that is causing probs what happens ??????????:)

dammit you beat me to it :mad: :mad: :mad: :)

Martin
06-07-2003, 17:57
I added memory a few months back and kept getting an error, not the one you mention but windows gave me two options 1) Continue boot where i got the error, 2) Clear previously stored settings and reeboot. I eventually went for option two and everything went well.

Now it could be the memory is bad or its not compatible with your PC and that's causing the problem.

hobbie
06-07-2003, 19:54
Using the new memory on it's own,the comp. just freezes about 10 seconds after turning it on,with nothing on the screen.
I have only just got home from my mate's so I'll do the google search now. (why don't you get the simple ideas when you need them ?) :spin:

paulyoung666
06-07-2003, 19:59
take it back its gash mate , if they will take it back that is , where did you get it form ????????? :)

hobbie
06-07-2003, 20:10
Local dealer- and he's pretty good when it comes to returning stuff like this. Done the search, and it looks like the error message is because he is using a 64mb stick and a 128mb stick, and Pentium processors need two equal sized sticks.( He has a Celeron). I still can't understand why/how it will work with the other stick, but not on its own though.

tootsie
06-07-2003, 20:30
Originally posted by hobbie
Local dealer- and he's pretty good when it comes to returning stuff like this. Done the search, and it looks like the error message is because he is using a 64mb stick and a 128mb stick, and Pentium processors need two equal sized sticks.( He has a Celeron). I still can't understand why/how it will work with the other stick, but not on its own though.

I have a pc with a celeron 400, a 64MB and a 128MB stick in it, and have run win 98, ME and XP on it with no problems, I don't know if it's different with earlier pentium's though

KingPhoenix
06-07-2003, 21:03
depends on the mobo...

Also are the ram types of different speeds?

Martin
06-07-2003, 21:30
Originally posted by hobbie
Using the new memory on it's own,the comp. just freezes about 10 seconds after turning it on,with nothing on the screen.

Sounds like its gone bad. I'd check its compatible with your board again some dealers make mistakes.

Tricky
06-07-2003, 21:48
Don't suppose his motherboard requires RAM in pairs?
Depends on the age many older MB's did or even sets of 4 (wow I'm going back - 1mb sticks! rocks!!!)

hobbie
07-07-2003, 01:28
KP--they are both 100 mhz
Tricky--I was thinking along those lines,but if the 2 sticks are installed, with the 64 first,he gets the error message,and "press F1 to continue"--then it loads up with no probs--until he tries to play a game
tootsie-- he's got a celeron 600-

I am starting to think that he has got a bad stick,,but as I said earlier, for the life of me I cannot understand why he gets these errors, and the memory is recognised in system resources

I know that the beeps tell you that something is wrong,( we are getting 2 short beeps at start-up) but not knowing what mobo he has makes it difficult to find out the answer.

I have tried entering his cmos, but he has seriously limited access to its functions

Thanks for the help peeps--keep scratching your heads--cos I am :shrug: lol

hobbie
07-07-2003, 01:48
I just had a thought---- what is the likliehood that he has a faulty mobo?
His comp has got stickers that say "64 mb ram installed" and "upgradeable to 256 mb ram"
perhaps its the mobo at fault????

Martin
07-07-2003, 02:08
Then the previously installed memory would give a fault!! Possibility though.:)