PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro Question

alexcopeland
06-07-2003, 12:06
I'm having trouble installing Windows XP Pro on a new computer I'm building.

The installation has trouble copy files from the CD. So I tried a different copy of the CD. Still having trouble.

I have noticed that when it comes to FORMATING the drive it takes a long time to do the first 4%, is that common?

I have also tried installing Windows 98SE, had problems installing a didn't complete the installation.

Hard drive is a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 30Gb UDMA 7200rpm.

Motherboard is a MSI K7N2G-L SKT A Integrated MX440 GeForce 4 8x AGP.

I'm also using a High Quality Round IDE Cable ATA133 between the two.

Temporal
06-07-2003, 12:13
I install by booting from the CD - I then delete and recreate the partition within setup and I select the 'Format using NTFS (Quick)' option which takes a few minutes but is not as slow as you say.

alexcopeland
06-07-2003, 12:16
I'll give it a try!

alexcopeland
06-07-2003, 12:25
I'm having no luck. When it comes to copying setup filies. It stopped 4 times saying coundn't copy file. Finished at 81% file ndisuio.sys.

Where do you go now?

imback
06-07-2003, 12:34
Originally posted by alexcopeland
I'm having no luck. When it comes to copying setup filies. It stopped 4 times saying coundn't copy file. Finished at 81% file ndisuio.sys.

Where do you go now?

I think I know what it is mate, had the same problem myself, faulty memory, if you have more than one bank in there remove one and try it, if that don't work remove the other bank.

When I had the problem, it said it was missing files during install, and you could skip them, but then as it was suppose to boot into windows just got a screen that said maybe had a virus on HD etc etc.

HTH

darkangel
06-07-2003, 12:50
u might want to try here http://www.amdforums.com/ they have a dedicated msi forum

Xaccers
06-07-2003, 12:59
Search on the CD for ndisuio.*

I had a problem with my copy where it would ask for xxx-xx.pn_ but on the CD it was xxx_xx.pn_

imback
06-07-2003, 13:01
Originally posted by Xaccers
Search on the CD for ndisuio.*

I had a problem with my copy where it would ask for xxx-xx.pn_ but on the CD it was xxx_xx.pn_

Wont be that as he has had problem installing 98 too, so it has to be hardware fault. I'm still betting the house on memory.

Xaccers
06-07-2003, 13:03
i see your house and raise you a shed :P

imback
06-07-2003, 13:06
Originally posted by Xaccers
i see your house and raise you a shed :P

:p :D I could do with shed too:D

alexcopeland
06-07-2003, 13:13
I have just changed the cabling config between the DVD-Rom drive Hard drive and CDRW.

Was Pri Master HDD, Secondary Master DVD Secondary Slave CDRW

Now Pri Master HDD Pri Slave CDRW, and Secondary Master DVD

Trying to install Windows XP now....

alexcopeland
06-07-2003, 13:19
My cabling idea didn't work.

There is a stick of 256mb 333mhz DDR

Going to swap it with 256mb 266mhz DDR

imback
06-07-2003, 13:21
My cabling idea didn't work.

There is a stick of 256mb 333mhz DDR

Going to swap it with 256mb 266mhz DDR

It will work, it has to, I got a shed riding on it:p

alexcopeland
06-07-2003, 13:28
The stick on ram I just tried would not even work in the machine. I'm having the worst day of my life.

alexcopeland
06-07-2003, 13:28
The 256mb DDR333 memory is brand new so I don't believe it is the prob. Any other ideas?

imback
06-07-2003, 13:29
The stick on ram I just tried would not even work in the machine. I'm having the worst day of my life.

Wouldn't fit or wouldn't work?

You could maybe try the RAM that does fit/work in another memory slot, worked for my mate the other week, he was having the same problems as you.

imback
06-07-2003, 13:30
The 256mb DDR333 memory is brand new so I don't believe it is the prob. Any other ideas?

I had brandnew RAM too, it was still faulty, and was confirmed by the supplier when I sent it back to them.

alexcopeland
06-07-2003, 13:31
Quickly...

A thought, if the DDR333 stick was not working then I would have known when I got the POST beep.

alexcopeland
06-07-2003, 13:32
I have had doggy ram in the past from my supplier (Ebuyer.com)

imback
06-07-2003, 13:33
Quickly...

A thought, if the DDR333 stick was not working then I would have known when I got the POST beep.

Nope, I even got as far as installing XP on the 5th attempt and had it running for 3 hours, but it was hanging and couldn't install programs from CD as it was getting corrupt in the transfer.

Try it in another slot, it's worth a shot.

EDIT : Oh mine was on an MSI mobo also.

alexcopeland
06-07-2003, 13:36
I have a choice of three slots so I will give it a try.

darkangel
06-07-2003, 14:08
what brand is the ram, your board is kind of picky with memory

danfromNthell
07-07-2003, 09:11
Have you considered a bad boot sector? is it a new hard drive? I had this once.. a low level format over night and bang it was done....

Also if the Windows disk is a copy (I know no one would have one) have you tried getting one from a different source?

Stuart
07-07-2003, 09:52
Quickly...

That would only mean it's totally dead.

We have had random crashes on the PCs at work, and they are usually caused by faulty ram (which has already passed the POST test). Faulty ram can also cause both XP and 2000 setup to complain of corrupted source files.

XFS03
07-07-2003, 16:56
Have to agree about the probable cause being the ram. The problems I have had in the past whilst trying to install an OS on a new machine have always been due to faulty ram.

alexcopeland
07-07-2003, 21:20
Thank you all for your contributions to this thread so far. Tomorrow I will go and buy a stick of ram and fingers crossed I might get a result.

Tricky
07-07-2003, 21:54
I've had exactly the same symptoms with a dodgy HDU, I think it was down to dodgy sectors (bring back old dos-2 where you could mark sectors as faulty and then format the drive!) - Managed to format the drive in a PC I was selling (took 15 hours to do a 30gb HDU and yes every other drive was OK I.e. 3 minutes to do 100gb) sold the PC (bought as seen) to a gulable young chappie. Says it is still running fine except the HD is a little noisey! MMM

alexcopeland
08-07-2003, 19:59
I have an update for my prgress.

Got another stick of 256mb DDR333 memory from PC world just down the road. And the bloody motherboard couldn't even detect it.

So the MSI motherboard is going to be sent back to Ebuyer.com tomorrow.

Have a shiney new Abit NF7M motherboard in the post now from eclipse-computers.com.

I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed still.

Can't remember if I posted this earlier buit the Hard drive worked lovely as a slave drive in my PC and have every faith in it.

I'll post an update when the Abit board is up and running.

Buzzby
09-07-2003, 17:08
I had a similar game. Turned out to be the mobo. It was a lex. Dont go near them, very little info, and just you try to find the makers website. Hint it is not lex. Of course the box & mobo manual had no info re the maker, or their web site, or phone no's.
It let me install 98se & it would work. XP upgrade would get to XP splash screen, then bugger all.
I had originally suspected the HDD & replaced it.

:mad:

Steady
09-07-2003, 18:10
I once had a similar ish problem. It turned out to be overheating. An upgraded CPU fan sorted it. Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m probable miles off but you never know.
Steady

Sociable
09-07-2003, 18:38
I'm having trouble installing Windows XP Pro on a new computer I'm building.

The installation has trouble copy files from the CD. So I tried a different copy of the CD. Still having trouble.

I have noticed that when it comes to FORMATING the drive it takes a long time to do the first 4%, is that common?

I have also tried installing Windows 98SE, had problems installing a didn't complete the installation.

Hard drive is a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 30Gb UDMA 7200rpm.

Motherboard is a MSI K7N2G-L SKT A Integrated MX440 GeForce 4 8x AGP.

I'm also using a High Quality Round IDE Cable ATA133 between the two.

Check the power saving settings in bios are not switching the drives off.

Friend of mine in the states had exactly same problem installing XP on a new system and found the timeout was set to 6 mins.

Another option is to copy the files from the install CD to the HD to eliminate any problems due to read problems from the CDrom causing a time-out during install.

alexcopeland
09-07-2003, 20:45
Again thank you all for your suggestions.

Motherboard on the way. Don't think it's down to over heating CPU. it was always running at 60 C. Hard drive turning off after 6mins no. Power management in BIOS is not my thing and I personally use Windows power management settings once the OS is installed.

I will let you all know when I have the new board up and running.

I'll be back!