PDA

View Full Version : Really slow webspace!

mason
09-02-2004, 12:44
Hi all!

When i have finished uploading files to my webspace, it takes up to 24 hours to actually update. So when i go to my website nothing has changed, but when i go to it the next day it will all be updated.

I contacted ntl for help through email and explained the problem in detail, but they decided to send me info on about how to access my webspace using ftp :erm:

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Neil
09-02-2004, 12:54
A problem like what-slow webspace or ntl giving you useless information? :rolleyes:

Both scenarios sound about right to me TBH.

rdhw
09-02-2004, 13:02
When i have finished uploading files to my webspace, it takes up to 24 hours to actually update. So when i go to my website nothing has changed, but when i go to it the next day it will all be updated.This is because you are not causing the transparent web proxy caches to be flushed. If you are using IE, go to your web page, and hold down the Ctrl key while clicking Refresh: this will cause your new pages to be immediately fetched from your web site. See How to refresh stale pages in the transparent web proxy cache (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#refreshstale) for more details.

Sociable
09-02-2004, 13:03
Hi all!

When i have finished uploading files to my webspace, it takes up to 24 hours to actually update. So when i go to my website nothing has changed, but when i go to it the next day it will all be updated.

I contacted ntl for help through email and explained the problem in detail, but they decided to send me info on about how to access my webspace using ftp :erm:

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Sounds like you need to refresh the page after making any changes as you are looking at the last cached version before the update. Revisit the page after an update and then hit F5 and or Ctrl-F5 to see the updated version.

In IE also go to the "Internet Options" in the Tools Menu and check what it has showing under the settings section in "Temporary Internets Files" to make sure you are set to view updates automatically.

If still getting the same problem you may find changing to a specified proxy will solve the issue as the way some NTL proxies pass on the update commands seems to vary.

To Change proxy see:
http://www.ntli.info/index.php?page=index_v2&id=12&c=8page=index_v2&id=12&c=8

mason
09-02-2004, 15:47
Thanks for your replies.

Yeh that refresh thing does work, but it has to be done on each page of my site :(

I understand what the problem was, but why is it that i have to refresh pages from my site and not other sites? Would other people have to do that refresh thing when they visit my site too?

Is there a way i can publish my pages so none of this happens?

Thanks!

Sociable
09-02-2004, 15:52
Is there a way i can publish my pages so none of this happens?

Thanks!

Most will have their browser set up to automatically check for changes when they revisit the site so they will see the updated view when they come back.

rdhw
09-02-2004, 15:56
that refresh thing does work, but it has to be done on each page of my siteYes, that's right.why is it that i have to refresh pages from my site and not other sites?Maybe the other sites had not changed their content recently, or their old content was not in the transparent web cachesWould other people have to do that refresh thing when they visit my site too?Yes, if they are running behind a web proxy cacheIs there a way i can publish my pages so none of this happens?It depends how often you want to change your content. If you want to change it frequently, you should not publish it as if it were static HTML, then it would not be cached. There's nothing you can do about this if your site is hosted on NTL homepage, as they support only static HTML. See Web authoring tips for being cache-aware (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#authoring) for more.

mason
09-02-2004, 16:10
Seems like it is something with ntl then because i have never had the same problem when using other hosts.

Anyway, thanks for your helpful replies!