PDA

View Full Version : USB to Ethernet

birchyboy
06-07-2003, 12:16
I have a CNet Pro200 100/10Mbps ethernet card. I followed the advice on Robin Walker's site for USB to ethernet, but I can't get it to connect.

Rebooted the ntl:home 100 with the ethernet cable in place insted of USB and when stabilised, turned the PC back on.

I expected it to get a new MAC address automatically and winipcfg tells me it has one, but nothing's going up or down the pipe. I tried releasing and renewing the DHCP lease, but I don't get a "lease expires" date.

I have Sygate Pro and tried setting to "Allow all" in case that was a problem. All the other TPC/IP settings are the same as with USB.

Where am I going wrong? :confused:

imback
06-07-2003, 12:18
Are you getting a valid IP address? Valid would start with 62, 80, 81, or 213.

Are you getting a enet light on modem?

birchyboy
06-07-2003, 12:26
No valid IP address, but all the lights on the modem are OK. Enet, ready, sync, D/S all flashing and and power steady.
It all works fine when I reverse the process and run USB again (but with USB light not Enet).

imback
06-07-2003, 13:32
Is the nic installed in DM OK? Try yet another lengthy re boot of the Pc and modem? It sounds like the nic though, you have already done a re boot, and you get nic light on modem so shows the nic port on modem is OK.

Does your IP start with 169 or 192?

If it's 192 then it is set to use that IP in tcp/ip properties maybe?

birchyboy
06-07-2003, 16:40
The IP starts with 169. By way of an experiment, I tried to run the ntl installer for ethernet and it got nearly all the way, but then said it couldn't connect to the DHCP server.

My firewall (set to "allow all") showed four peaks on send and four on receive, but still couldn't make contact with the DHCP server, which is presumably why I'm not getting an IP address. I tried putting the existing DHCP server address into the Win98 Control Panel network settings. Still zilch.

As an irritating aside, Windows no longer shuts down properly.

It could be worse - the USB might have gone wobbly too ...

darkangel
06-07-2003, 17:05
why are u not conecting directly to usb?

birchyboy
06-07-2003, 17:19
darkangel - I had a new, boxed, nic given to me (has good reviews) and I read on a forum that several members swapped to ethernet and they were both faster and more stable.

Doesn't seem to be that way in my case, so for the time being, it looks like USB or nothing.

darkangel
06-07-2003, 17:47
Originally posted by birchyboy
darkangel - I had a new, boxed, nic given to me (has good reviews) and I read on a forum that several members swapped to ethernet and they were both faster and more stable.

Doesn't seem to be that way in my case, so for the time being, it looks like USB or nothing. if u have a stbm then Ethernet is the best option, do u have a modem or stb

XFS03
06-07-2003, 19:03
No valid IP address, but all the lights on the modem are OK. Enet, ready, sync, D/S all flashing and and power steady...
Just to confirm, the 'SYNC' & 'RDY' lights should be steady not flashing.

darkangel he has a ntl:home100 cable modem.

birchyboy
06-07-2003, 19:25
Thanks for the feedback folks. It is an Ambit ntl:home 100 and the SYNC and RDY are actually steady not flashing.

I have now removed the CNet ethernet card and the Windows Control Panel CNet fast ethernet components and the PC now shuts down properly.

I know I can't have an ethernet and USB connection to one IP address, but I didn't think I needed to remove the USB network components.

Might it be my incorrect installation of the CNet card?

philip.j.fry
06-07-2003, 22:32
Tried posting this earlier but it seems not to have shown up...but anyway:

What I think the problem is is that your MAC address (this is an individual number that is bound to you e'net card) on your lan card is not registered with NTL so the dhcp server is denying your request for an IP. You need to go to the online registration site (or ring cs i suppose) and add the MAC address to your account details. I think that might solve the problem for you.

imback
06-07-2003, 23:13
Originally posted by philip.j.fry
Tried posting this earlier but it seems not to have shown up...but anyway:

What I think the problem is is that your MAC address (this is an individual number that is bound to you e'net card) on your lan card is not registered with NTL

Stand Alone Cable Modems don't have to worry about this, as long as they power off the modem, it would be fine.

It sounds like the etherent card mate, ethernet is not always the best choice, what works is the best choice.

wheeliebin
06-07-2003, 23:31
Originally posted by imback
Stand Alone Cable Modems don't have to worry about this, as long as they power off the modem, it would be fine.

It sounds like the etherent card mate, ethernet is not always the best choice, what works is the best choice.

Try putting the card into a different slot.

Confirm that the ETH light is light on the modem

the fact that you have a 169 means you are not getting to the modem from the PC.

OBV reboot the modem

try my site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jayone/main.htm
The trouble shooting section covers switching from USB to etherent

ppolo99
06-07-2003, 23:32
Have you uninstalled the old Ethernet-to-USB device properly?

ALSO
is USB better with STB?? i switched to Ethernet but now i realised i cant get FXP'ed.

Tristan
06-07-2003, 23:40
I have no idea what "FXP'd" means, but USB is never better than ethernet. Ever. Think about it, the STB connection is ethernet, how can it be better to use an adaptor than plugging it in to the connection it was designed for?

darkangel
06-07-2003, 23:43
Originally posted by ppolo99
is USB better with STB?? i switched to Ethernet but now i realised i cant get FXP'ed. usb isn't better it's not as stable and uses cpu power, don't understand why you would have any problem being " FXP'ed" what problem are u haveing exatly(might be better to start another thread)

birchyboy
07-07-2003, 09:02
Thanks again for the advice. I'll try reinstalling the drivers and move the NIC to another slot tonight to see if that helps.

Is it necessary to remove the software drivers/network allocations for the USB, since the TCP/IP type appears to be recognised from boot-up?

birchyboy
07-07-2003, 19:27
THANKS TO ALL.
Disabled USB in "this hardware profile" under control panel /network settings. Powered off modem. Swapped cables. Powered on modem. After modem reboot lights steady, rebooted PC with NIC in another slot. All systems go. D/L speed tests still around the right level - 600 for my service.

No other tests yet, but it looks like this forum will be as good as the old nthellworld.com and I have a spare USB port ...

darkangel
07-07-2003, 20:17
THANKS TO ALL.
Disabled USB in "this hardware profile" under control panel /network settings. Powered off modem. Swapped cables. Powered on modem. After modem reboot lights steady, rebooted PC with NIC in another slot. All systems go. D/L speed tests still around the right level - 600 for my service.

No other tests yet, but it looks like this forum will be as good as the old nthellworld.com and I have a spare USB port ... glad to hear u got it sorted, with any luck this forum should be better without ntl's boot hanging over it

birchyboy
08-07-2003, 08:23
Darkangel - "better without ntl's boot hanging over it"

So true, O King. See you around the liberated forums.