PDA

View Full Version : X2: The Threat

threadbare
07-02-2004, 20:59
Anyone got this yet?

Is it any good?

how does it compare to the old classic elite?

should have my copy coming on monday. its about the only game I have bought for a long time nothing seems to interest me gaming-wise any more sniff sniff

dilli-theclaw
07-02-2004, 21:30
Anyone got this yet?

Is it any good?

how does it compare to the old classic elite?

should have my copy coming on monday. its about the only game I have bought for a long time nothing seems to interest me gaming-wise any more sniff sniff
I bought this yesterday - but have been at work since :(

I'll let you know what I think when I've got time to install it.

By the way - I was playing the original (bbc 'b') elite on my pocket pc today :naughty:

threadbare
07-02-2004, 21:53
I bought this yesterday - but have been at work since :(

I'll let you know what I think when I've got time to install it.

By the way - I was playing the original (bbc 'b') elite on my pocket pc today :naughty:now that is kool :D

I am looking forward to it - seems to have had a couple of good reviews. I have been waiting for something like this for quite a while.

colinbar
08-02-2004, 10:46
now that is kool :D

I am looking forward to it - seems to have had a couple of good reviews. I have been waiting for something like this for quite a while.

Hi,

I got mine on Friday from Game, but WH Smiths are doing it for £29.99, so got Game to price match. Saved me a fiver.
As to the game itself, yeah its brilliant. I have played X-BTF, Extension and X2 is 10 times better. Theres hell of a lot more to do, like you can have 2 cockpits, one at the rear as well :wavey: , so you can set your front cockpit on auto-pilot and shoot the pirates etc from your rear cockpit/turret, if they are chasing you.
For trading you can fly around in your fighter and remote trade with your workhorses.:naughty:

The graphics are really superb.

Cya

Bifta
08-02-2004, 19:16
It's alright, I wouldn't wet my pants to get at it, give it 6 more months when they've finally patched it up.

edit: A tip for those that have got it, if you're stuck at the beginning and want to cheat .. get hold of "Artmoney" then give yourself as many credits as you need :D

threadbare
09-02-2004, 20:09
got it today. the graphics are nice

enjoyed it so far - so we'll see how it goes.

games dont hold my attention for long these days so it will have to bo something special to see thru till the end of the week

dilli-theclaw
11-02-2004, 12:49
Well I finally got round to installing it and I must say I'm VERY dissapointed.

It runs really slow on my system and stutters really badly.

Not what I'd expect from a radeon 9800 pro :(

Still apparently ATI are aware of the problem and are supposedly going to fix it for their next catalyst driver release.

At the moment I've gone back to 3.10 to be able to play it.

I think it may be a good game - it's just my card that's letting it down.

Bifta
11-02-2004, 13:29
Well I finally got round to installing it and I must say I'm VERY dissapointed.

It runs really slow on my system and stutters really badly.

Not what I'd expect from a radeon 9800 pro :(

Still apparently ATI are aware of the problem and are supposedly going to fix it for their next catalyst driver release.

At the moment I've gone back to 3.10 to be able to play it.

I think it may be a good game - it's just my card that's letting it down.

Turn off shadows, always turn off shadows :) Also make sure AA and AF is disabled from the display applet and that it's not enabled through the game either.

edit: And see if either of the patches for the game will work on the UK version. Mine was imported from the USA so I didn't need to worry.

dilli-theclaw
11-02-2004, 13:33
Turn off shadows, always turn off shadows :) Also make sure AA and AF is disabled from the display applet and that it's not enabled through the game either.

edit: And see if either of the patches for the game will work on the UK version. Mine was imported from the USA so I didn't need to worry. I tried all that and it made no difference :(

It is the 1.2v already I don't think there are any newer versions out yet - although I could be wrong.

Thanks for the advice tho :)
(i'd give you a green rep but it won't let me :()

Bifta
11-02-2004, 13:46
I tried all that and it made no difference :(

It is the 1.2v already I don't think there are any newer versions out yet - although I could be wrong.

Thanks for the advice tho :)
(i'd give you a green rep but it won't let me :()

Have a read of this:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33740784&highlight=threat

and definately this:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33737659&highlight=threat

dilli-theclaw
11-02-2004, 14:32
Have a read of this:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33740784&highlight=threat

and definately this:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33737659&highlight=threat
Thanks for that :)

MMMmmm - It's also irritating that if you have an ATI card you can't use the game's dual monitor support :(

Still - It's running a LOT better on the cat 3.10 drivers - it looks very nice indeed.

Bifta
11-02-2004, 15:34
Thanks for that :)

MMMmmm - It's also irritating that if you have an ATI card you can't use the game's dual monitor support :(

Still - It's running a LOT better on the cat 3.10 drivers - it looks very nice indeed.

heh .. if you want to see something running that looks nice, try the far cry single player demo with everything whacked up.