PDA

View Full Version : Jessops vs The Internet

Theodoric
20-06-2003, 22:17
I intend to buy a digital camera and I've started buying the magazines and browsing the web sites. So far I've got my beady eye on a Ricoh Caplio G3, but all will probably change when I read of something better.

Anyway, the final position will be that I know exactly what model I want, but the problem is, where should I buy it? There seem to be 2 possibilities.

1) Look on the Internet for the cheapest buy. However, will I actually save much? My initial impression, with a new model like the Ricoh one, is probably not. Also, if anything goes wrong with it, do I really want the hassle of long distance arguments with the supplier?

2) Go to Jessops; we've got a local one. Now I know that Jessops is the camera equivalent of PC World; that is most of the staff don't know very much about what they are selling, but I would be going in to buy a named model; no arguments, no discussion; I'd like a Ricoh Caplio G3, please. The advantage would seem to be that when it falls to bits in my hands I can easily travel to the store that I bought it from and beat them over the head with the remains.

Has anyone any thoughts on the subject?

Stu038
20-06-2003, 22:55
Can't help with the camara, but I saved £100 on a tv bought from empiredirect instead of one of the high street lot. The models only been out a few weeks "apparently".

Darren Wilson
20-06-2003, 22:58
To be honest I haven't dealt with the Ricoh range of cameras, but I have sold a lot of Fuji & Olympus digital cameras through my business. The most popular models being the Fuji 2800Z and the Olympus C2/C220. All these cameras are 2 megapixel standard and the quality is superb. They can all be picked up for well under £200 and use SmartMedia (which has come right down in price) over other memory formats.

A company that I have had some good dealings with (and cheap prices) is Digital Depot (http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk) who are based in Stevenage. They know their cameras as well.

Personally I am using a Fuji 2800Z camera and cannot fault it. Quality A4 borderless prints from the images even at 1.3MP resolutions on both the Epson Photo printer & the HP Colour LaserJet.

Buy it from a local store if possible, that way should you have any problems, like you sa, you can take it back & bludgeon them to the brink of death with it :):)

cjll3
20-06-2003, 22:58
I can't imagine you have that much trouble with a digital camera other than you may get one with a few dead pixels or the battery may die.

ntluser
21-06-2003, 10:39
Originally posted by Theodoric
I intend to buy a digital camera and I've started buying the magazines and browsing the web sites. So far I've got my beady eye on a Ricoh Caplio G3, but all will probably change when I read of something better.

Anyway, the final position will be that I know exactly what model I want, but the problem is, where should I buy it? There seem to be 2 possibilities.

1) Look on the Internet for the cheapest buy. However, will I actually save much? My initial impression, with a new model like the Ricoh one, is probably not. Also, if anything goes wrong with it, do I really want the hassle of long distance arguments with the supplier?

2) Go to Jessops; we've got a local one. Now I know that Jessops is the camera equivalent of PC World; that is most of the staff don't know very much about what they are selling, but I would be going in to buy a named model; no arguments, no discussion; I'd like a Ricoh Caplio G3, please. The advantage would seem to be that when it falls to bits in my hands I can easily travel to the store that I bought it from and beat them over the head with the remains.

Perhaps you can have the best of both worlds.

In my local Jessops I was told that they will match any price for the same camera provided that you can give them details of the supplier. Find a cheaper offer on the net, record the details and go back to Jessops.

As I understand it they will purchase it from the named supplier (presumably with a trade discount) and sell it to you at the price offered on the net.

If it goes wrong, Jessops is just around the corner. Hopefully problem solved.

Might be worth checking this out with your local Jessops.

Chimaera
21-06-2003, 10:52
Regarding advice from Jessops, I've always foung the local branch to be very helpful and knowledgeable, like all these things it's the luck of the draw!
Not a bit like PC World!! :afire:

Ramrod
21-06-2003, 11:49
I got my digital ixus from jessops. The service was excellent. I faffed about for literaly hours comparing different cameras and the pics they produced.
I now get my pics developed with jessops online:)

Gogogo
21-06-2003, 12:13
Yes, I have used Jessops Internet service for purchasing consummables etc, but I think if I were going to purchase a new camera I'd much rather go to a shop. The important thing is that it's better to get the feel of your new camera, it may be the top range model but what's important is how it relates to you, how it feels, how it handles and a chance to explore features, of course the assistant may well be a complete idiot and just as likely to be knowledegable, but it's more important to show that you know what you are buying, these actions are not possible on the Internet.

:eek:

ntluser
21-06-2003, 12:25
Originally posted by Gogogo
Yes, I have used Jessops Internet service for purchasing consummables etc, but I think if I were going to purchase a new camera I'd much rather go to a shop. The important thing is that it's better to get the feel of your new camera, it may be the top range model but what's important is how it relates to you, how it feels, how it handles and a chance to explore features, of course the assistant may well be a complete idiot and just as likely to be knowledegable, but it's more important to show that you know what you are buying, these actions are not possible on the Internet.

I agree, getting it from a shop where you can handle the goods and get lots of info about features before you buy is probably the wise option. You can read up on stuff you would like only to find that in reality it doesn't live up to expectations. Using the internet, you only find that out after you have bought it. It's the old pig in a poke situation.

Theodoric
21-06-2003, 12:30
Originally posted by ntluser

In my local Jessops I was told that they will match any price for the same camera provided that you can give them details of the supplier. Find a cheaper offer on the net, record the details and go back to Jessops.

Interesting. Has anyone else come across this? From your wording, I get the impression that they volunteered this information.

Theodoric
21-06-2003, 12:33
Originally posted by Gogogo
but I think if I were going to purchase a new camera I'd much rather go to a shop. The important thing is that it's better to get the feel of your new camera, it may be the top range model but what's important is how it relates to you, how it feels, how it handles and a chance to explore features,
Yes, I missed that one out. One of the important things about cameras for holiday use is the size - there you are with shorts, T-shirt, flip flops and a camera big enough to film Ben Hur with. I know the size is in the spec, but nothing beats being able to handle it.

Pre-emptive EDIT. Handle the camera, funny guy, the camera!

obvious
21-06-2003, 12:41
The Ricoh Caplio G3 can be had for £222 at Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=2HV0)

It's also worth checking out http://www.cameratag.co.uk/ which is a great camera price comparison site.

BTW, ever wanted a site that lists all the price comparison sites?
http://paler.com/price_comparison.html

Theodoric
21-06-2003, 12:58
Originally posted by obvious
The Ricoh Caplio G3 can be had for £222 at Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=2HV0)

It's also worth checking out http://www.cameratag.co.uk/ which is a great camera price comparison site.

BTW, ever wanted a site that lists all the price comparison sites?
http://paler.com/price_comparison.html
Thanks. I'm now at that intermediate stage where I really should start looking at other cameras and not go for the first interesting one.

PS Hands up all those decisive characters who make a quick decision and get on with it.

keitht
21-06-2003, 13:29
Here's another vote for Digital Depot. I've bought several CF cards & Sart media from them over the years.

Darren - do you know roughly how much it would cost for Fuji to repair the CF slot on a Finepix S602? £20? £50? £100?

Thanks
Keith

obvious
21-06-2003, 13:31
Thanks. I'm now at that intermediate stage where I really should start looking at other cameras and not go for the first interesting one.

PS Hands up all those decisive characters who make a quick decision and get on with it.

The last time I put a pc together, I drew up a grid of component prices and shipping costs. It was scary. I was taking into account savings due to combined shipping even though the actual prices might not be the best. I think it took me a couple of days to source all the bits and I probably spent half that time shaving off an extra £30 of the entire price. :rolleyes:

I'm a bit more relaxed about shopping now.

Ramrod
21-06-2003, 18:36

*Hands stay down*:D

imback
21-06-2003, 18:51
As mentioned it's always nice to see and hold the product before you buy which of course you can't if buying online. So the answer is get into town look at the products, see what they look like, feel like, check out the features and then order online to make the saving when you have made your choice.

Graham
22-06-2003, 00:37
Originally posted by Theodoric do I really want the hassle of long distance arguments with the supplier?

Another useful tip:
As of 1st April 2003, the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 came into force.

What these say is that you have the legal right to choose repair, replacement, partial or full refund if a fault appears within 6 years (5 years in Scotland) if it is reasonable for goods to last that long.

Also, if the goods fail within 6 months the onus is on the retailer to prove that the goods were *not* faulty when sold.

So if the retailer tries to get stroppy, remember the law is now on your side.

vaiolator
22-06-2003, 01:38
Originally posted by Chimaera
Regarding advice from Jessops, I've always foung the local branch to be very helpful and knowledgeable, like all these things it's the luck of the draw!
Not a bit like PC World!! :afire:
Ditto :D

obvious
22-06-2003, 02:14
Originally posted by Graham
Another useful tip:
As of 1st April 2003, the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 came into force.

What these say is that you have the legal right to choose repair, replacement, partial or full refund if a fault appears within 6 years (5 years in Scotland) if it is reasonable for goods to last that long.

Also, if the goods fail within 6 months the onus is on the retailer to prove that the goods were *not* faulty when sold.

I never new that. What a great tip. :D

Theodoric
22-06-2003, 12:35
Another useful tip:

Very interesting. Am I correct in saying that with the old Sale of Goods act, the time limit was something vague like "within a reasonable time"? Can you confirm that this 6 months is a "no ifs, no buts" 6 months, or are there any loopholes that the retailers can exploit?

bo-peep
22-06-2003, 13:39
i was until recently under the impression that once goods were bought if anything went wrong you would contact the manufacturer.when i asked around i was the only person to think that.it's all very confusing.so where does the manufacturer's guarantee come into effect?

cjll3
22-06-2003, 13:53
Very interesting. Am I correct in saying that with the old Sale of Goods act, the time limit was something vague like "within a reasonable time"? Can you confirm that this 6 months is a "no ifs, no buts" 6 months, or are there any loopholes that the retailers can exploit?

No law sets a time limit as such (well with the exception of the distance selling act).

As a rule of thumb

In 1 to 7 days you will have been deemed as accepting the goods and not entitled to a refund or an exchange for new

The fact that retailers often offer a period of 28 to exchange/refund is usually just good customer service.

Depending on the item it should also be usable for a period of 1 to 2 years.

You shouldn't expect a piece of beef to be good after sitting in your fridge for a year, but you shouldn't expect a fridge to pack up after 12 months.

If the fridge did pack up after 12 months (assuming you've not mistreated it) you are more than entitled to ask the retailer to fix it for you or refund part of the money you paid for the goods.

The manufacturers warrenty is always in addition to your satutory rights, so if a retailer tells you it's none of his business, call in your local trading standards.

bo-peep
22-06-2003, 13:55
thanks for that

Graham
22-06-2003, 22:47
Can you confirm that this 6 months is a "no ifs, no buts" 6 months, or are there any loopholes that the retailers can exploit?

For the full information see http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/saleandsupply.htm and select the Sale of Consumer Goods Directive link.

The information for retailers link
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/saleslong.pdf
is also useful for the fine details, eg "Under the Regulations, consumers can choose to request instead:
†¢ a repair or replacement.
The retailer can decline either of these if he can show that they are disproportionately
costly in comparison with the alternative. However, any remedy must also be
completed without significant inconvenience to the consumer. "

So there is some "wiggle room" but not much.

Graham
22-06-2003, 22:54
Originally posted by bo-peep
i was until recently under the impression that once goods were bought if anything went wrong you would contact the manufacturer.

This is a mis-apprehension which has often been exploited by unscrupulous retailers.

Your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

The guarantee is something that is *in addition* to your rights, not instead of or in spite of it.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, goods must be "As Advertised", "Fit For Purpose" and "Of Satisfactory Quality". If they fail any of these tests your first point of redress is with the retailer who sold them to you.

The new act has clarified matters because previously a retailer could say "it's been more than 6 months, it's not my problem any more", even when there's a reasonable expectation that an item *should* last longer than that.

Oh, one other thing.

If anyone offers you an extended guarantee DON'T BUY IT!!!

Shop sold extended guarantees are a total rip off. Most consumer goods will last for longer than the extended guarantee anyway and it's possible you've got such cover on your household or credit card insurance anyway!

Chimaera
22-06-2003, 23:03
Thanks for all that info, Graham.
I've a feeling i'm about to do battle with a mail order electrical company over a 10 month old mini disc player - they kicked up merry hell when I tried to return a brand new one that was faulty - so now i have the legal stuff to back up my argument!
Cheers! :beer:

Delta Whiskey
25-06-2003, 16:02
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Theodoric
[B]I intend to buy a digital camera and I've started buying the magazines and browsing the web sites. So far I've got my beady eye on a Ricoh Caplio G3, but all will probably change when I read of something better.

I have the Ricoh RR30, I believe the G3 is an update of this model. It's largest resolution is 2048 x 1536, using that I've printed 8in x 10in images of excellent quality. If you like to dable with close up shots it will focus down to 1cm, also the time lag between pressing the shutter and the image being taken is the shortest of any digital camera I've used.

trinity
25-06-2003, 16:11

If anyone offers you an extended guarantee DON'T BUY IT!!!

Shop sold extended guarantees are a total rip off. Most consumer goods will last for longer than the extended guarantee anyway and it's possible you've got such cover on your household or credit card insurance anyway!
Which reminds me of The Simpsons when Moe is making Homer dumb again.
He knows he reached the right level of stupidity when Homer exclaims "Extended warranty! How can I lose?"
:D

Chris
25-06-2003, 16:26
My missus went online to buy me a bread maker for my birthday recently. She did all the price comparisons, etc etc etc and eventually got a deal from Comet's website.

When the product arrived, by the labelling it had clearly just come out to us from their local store. In these circumstances, had it gone wrong I would have had no qualms about walking down there with it to beat them round the head (and man, could it do some damage, it's a heavy beast).

As Graham and others have said so ably, even if you don't have the advantage of being able to go down there with your faulty camera or whatever, the Law gives you so much clout these days I think it would be daft not to take advantage of the offers you can get online.

Tezcatlipoca
28-06-2003, 20:30
Few days late to this thread......

I bought a Canon Powershot A70 digital camera a month or so ago.

Retails at around £300, got it online for ~£230.

I used http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ to do a price comparison, & then bought it from http://www.cameras2u.com. Very good & speedy service. Although the courier (ParcelLine I think) was crap.

MrSums
03-07-2003, 13:10
I surfed for the best deal I could find and then went to Jessops in Watford who price-matched.

Perfect result

MrSums

gary_580
03-07-2003, 15:14
Originally posted by MrSums
I surfed for the best deal I could find and then went to Jessops in Watford who price-matched.

Perfect result

MrSums

Ive done the same a couple of times, as long as the net provider has the item in stock Jessops will always match it. Bought a DV cam once and Jessops matched Empire Directs price, Empire Direct dropped their pirce within 7 days and Jessops refunded the difference on their price promise agreement.

Chris
03-07-2003, 15:20
Originally posted by MrSums

Perfect result

MrSums

Can't say that anything involving a trip to the Harlequin Centre is a perfect result, but glad you got a good deal out of them!

Theodoric
03-07-2003, 19:15
Originally posted by Tezcatlipoca
Few days late to this thread......

I bought a Canon Powershot A70 digital camera a month or so ago.

Retails at around £300, got it online for ~£230.

I used http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ to do a price comparison, & then bought it from http://www.cameras2u.com. Very good & speedy service. Although the courier (ParcelLine I think) was crap.
The Express did an article on digital cameras recently. The Canon Powershot A70 was one of those recommended.

Tricky
03-07-2003, 20:49

Sorry not read the rest of the replies but I can tell you that I recently purchased a Canon G3 from Jessops in Leeds and this is why...Found a site on the web www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk who sold the camera called them and confirmed it was in stock = Yes. Then phoned Jessops and asked do you price match - Answer yes, just fetch a print out of the page from the site. Got to shop, chappy rang either another Jessops or Internet Cameras Direct and all was done. Saving of 20%+ on Jessops normal price and the pleasure of knowing that I could take it back if not completely happy within 14 days. Also, no waiting for Internet postage.

Hope this helps...All Credit to Jessops by the way (and yes I have previously bought from Internet Cameras Direct who would have had my business this time but they no longer allow you to collect - security reasons!).
:wavey:

booshank
15-11-2004, 03:40
The Jessops pricematch policy workls like this: if it is from a UK based website and in stock they may match it. If there is a postage and packaging charge from online Jessops will add this amount to the price. Some Jessops branches will match internet prices and others won't. Basically if the store feels it needs to match internet prices to sell it will, if it is already selling well it won't. Generally less busy branches of Jessops are more likely to price match.

As for extended guarantees it is simplistic to say never buy one. It depends entirely on the price. Of course it would be foolish to pay £100 for a 3 year guarantee on a £100-300 item as many stores would have you do. But for a £100-300 digital camera a £30 three year guarantee can be a good idea, considering a repair is likely to cost at least £100.

It is also worth noting that at Jessops they will often offer you a £10 three year guarantee by reducing the price of the camera by £20. This is because each branch of Jessops has a target for the number of extended guarantees they have to sell and often they achieve this by fiddling the figures in this way. Jessops staff are happy at filling their target, you get a great bargain and the only ones who lose out are the Jessops directors!

(How do I know this? You ask. I work for Jessops!)

gary_580
15-11-2004, 09:07
look at www.7dayshop.com, superb prices and very reliable in my experience

andygrif
15-11-2004, 16:32
Glad this thread came back to life....

I'm hoping Santa is going to bring me the Canon EOS 300D digital SLR. Amazon have it in stock at £599, Jessops at £699. I love Jessops and would rather buy from them...so I think I'll print out the instock page from Amazon and trundle off there this week!

SMHarman
15-11-2004, 17:05

I'm hoping Santa is going to bring me the Canon EOS 300D digital SLR. Amazon have it in stock at £599, Jessops at £699. I love Jessops and would rather buy from them...so I think I'll print out the instock page from Amazon and trundle off there this week!
£599 - £100 :cool:

http://www.canon.co.uk/eos300dcashback/index.asp

http://www.canon.co.uk/Images/14_243635.pdf

At that price it might make it too my Christmas stocking.

Shaun
15-11-2004, 17:10

I've found that its really nice to buy from the place I trust most and then claim the difference back from Barclacard. If you have a credit card that offers this facility then you may want to try it. :)

look at www.7dayshop.com, superb prices and very reliable in my experience

Can recommend then, thats where I got my Canon A80 from :)

andygrif
15-11-2004, 18:43
£599 - £100 :cool:

http://www.canon.co.uk/eos300dcashback/index.asp

http://www.canon.co.uk/Images/14_243635.pdf

At that price it might make it too my Christmas stocking.

I know! Saw it, downloaded it last week - that was the clincher for me, then I saw Amazon's price. Very happy about that!

I've found that its really nice to buy from the place I trust most and then claim the difference back from Barclacard. If you have a credit card that offers this facility then you may want to try it. :)

Eh what's this? My other half has a Barclaycard, so they give you the money back if you can buy it cheaper do they? Might need to be extra nice to her me thinks ;)

SMHarman
15-11-2004, 21:10
I have an EOS10, 35-105USM, 100-300 and 430EZ speedlight, so plenty of long lenses. I was umming and aaahing about the 300D earlier in the year and settled for the A80 as I could not justify £900 expenditure on a digital SLR. Now £499 is far easier to argue. Thats nearly 1/2 price in 6 months, technology huh.

Eh what's this? My other half has a Barclaycard, so they give you the money back if you can buy it cheaper do they? Might need to be extra nice to her me thinks ;)

http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/Products/Apply/Card_Benefits/Price_Promise/index.html

Checkout 5.2 of the conditions though. You will probably need it in writing that Jessops refused to honour their price promise.

gary_580
15-11-2004, 21:19

Not for long they wont be. This practice on a lot of cards is stopping very soon

Shaun
15-11-2004, 22:21
Not for long they wont be. This practice on a lot of cards is stopping very soon

Then best make use of it while its there.